Help me understand how to work with the various .net versions

 I am using Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition.  As I understand it, this program is designed to work with .net 3.5.

My web hosting service supports .net 2.0.  I assume this means that a program I create on my PC may not run on my web site.  How do I know what will work and what won't on a specific version before I spend time developing it?  Are there certain controls that I should avoid, like LinqDataSource, if the program is going on my web site?  Thanks.

0
rscott54

Create 3.5 site, right click on it in solution explorer, choose Properties and change target to 2.0

Mikhail
7/10/2008 4:23:31 AM

 That's what I was looking for.  Thanks.

0
rscott54
7/10/2008 2:08:29 PM

Mikhail,

I have an issue with VS.net 2008. As I don't have .net SDK 3.5 at website hosted server, I compiled fully functional website in VS.Net 2008 after changing target environment 2.0 from 3.5.

Now website is failing to apply style sheet. Then I revert this change back to 3.5 version. VS.net 2008 is failing to undo style sheet failure. I have 3 options is research a solution or seek online help or recreate entire website. I would appreciate you input in this regard or some direction toward solution.

Thank you,

Ravi P. S.

0
ravips

Does Visual Web developer 2008 and .net version 3.5 work better with CSS ?
I am building a menu and trying to control the presentation as much as I can with CSS. This is being done with VWD 2005 and the 2.0 version of the .net framework. After trying multiple combinations,I have decided to leave some of the style properties in the Dynamic Menu Style and in the Dynamic Hover Style. This seems to be the only way I can get the menu to perform the way I want. I am not doing anything too complicated; it's basically just changing colors when the dynamic menu drops down and when the cursor is hovered over it. Would I get better support from the latest VWD and f...

Type.GetType does not work in VB.NET but works in C#. VB.NET gurus Please help
Friends,   I am an experienced C# programmer who is working on a VB.NET project now. I am writing different methods covering the following functionalities 1) Take a datareader as input and return an arraylist of class object2) Take an xmlnode (received from a webservice) as input and return an arraylist of class object. The methods are generic methods which take datareader/xmlnode as first parameter and classname (string) as the second parameter. This way it will work trivially. The schema of class object matches with the input (datareader or xmlnode)In C# I used to do th...

Which version of the .net framework works with VS.NET 2003
Can VS.NET 2003 run any version of the .net framework? I.E. - can this version run 2.0 of .net framework? Hi,VS2003 compiles for .NET Framework 1.1. Thanks,Teemu KeiskiFinland, EU although vs2003 targets the 1.1 framework, in many cases, applications created with vs2003 will run on both the 1.1 and 2.0 framework.backwards compatibility was an important goal for MS when the 2.0 framework was being created.you would need to thoroughly test to be sure though.http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetdep/html/netfxcompat.asp?frame=true#"docum_topic3"...

Help for Visual web dev isolate system.web.mail to system.net.mail
Hi all,  I'm new user to visual web developer express software. Laterly i found this application isolate quite some of the component namespace, like system.web.mail to net.mail. I not well understand how system.net.mail functional?? Does it act same as system.web.mail?? My coding below: change system.web.mail to system.net.mail which causing a lot error... *****Can anybody correct me or advise me how to make this code work in system.net.mail?????? <%@import Namespace="System.net.Mail" %> <script runat="server">    Public FromAddress As String = "" .......

Will DW.Net work with VS.Net 2005 Express ?
Will it work with .Net 2005 Express or do I need the full versions? Somebody asked this question on 1/3/06 and it went unanswered. Thanks, Roland But AFAIk in the beta NG Dave answered it ;) The problem is that during the setup it won't be registered in the IDE, but one can add it by hand, this should do the trick. On 20 Feb 2006 07:31:41 -0800, in sybase.public.datawindow.net Roland Smith <topwiz@adelphia.net> wrote: >Will it work with .Net 2005 Express or do I need the full versions? > >Somebody asked this question on 1/3/06 and it went unanswered. ...

ODP.NET with Visual Web Dev Express?
Hi, Does the odp.net for oracle work with Visual Web Dev Express or do you need VS 2005 full version?  I get the following error in VWD when i add the reference to the Oracle.Data Assembly files.   Could not load file or assembly 'Oracle.DataAccess'.............. Failed to grant minimum permission requests. Also when installing the ODP i got the following:  The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL Why don't you want to use the built-in OracleClient provided with Visual Web Developer? ...

HELP Running a web-site with .NET 2.0 and NET 1.1
Hi evreybody,  I have a HUGE problem. I running a website that I have just created with ASP .NET 2.0 technology, well within my web site there is an web application that needs to run under V1.1. I'm using IIS 6.0 and I was wondering to see if anybody can help me run my new site, and run that web app at the same time. Basically is two sites within one web directory, the way you acces both sites is by the same link, just one is ROOT/default aspx (V2.0) and the other is Root/webapp/default.aspx (v1.1) can anybody help me... :( THANK you you will have to define them as two separate w...

Bad web.config in AJAX.NET 1.0 under .NET 2.0 Express
My setup is MS.NET v2.0 with the C# and Web Express editions of 2005. I also installed the AJAX 1.0 release with the respective toolkit as indicated in the AJAX.NET site. However, when I create a new project I am presented with the usual bare bones default.aspx and the web.config. However the web.config shows a lot of warnings and errors.One of them was being that the "requiredPermission" (or something like that) attribute was not recognized. Somewhere on the net there is a post of a correction to the DotNetConfig.xsd schema file in VS.2005 so I used it and it got rid of THAT warning.&n...

Ajax Toolkit with Visual Web Dev 2008 Express not working
Hi,I followed the instructions to install the Ajax tool kit as described here:http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlToolkit/Samples/Walkthrough/Setup.aspxI can see all the controls in the Toolkit tab on the left - so it *looks* like a successful install. I can run the Accordian sample from the Samples Web site with no problem. But when I try and create and use an accordian on my own web site I get this error:     "Could not load file or assembly 'AjaxControlToolkit' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified." Is is because I...

web.config problems when upgrading from .NET 2.0 Beta to .NET 2.0 release version
We uninstalled .NET 2.0 Beta and replaced it with .NET 2.0 release version.  And it messed everything up.  All applications now give weird errors indicating the lack of web.config files, despite the fact that they already have web.config files in place.  For example, the following error occurs even though the web.config file has <customErrors="Off">: Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for securit...

Net:Net:Net::LDAP::FAQ

autocomplete not working in IE7 after web app was migrated from .NET 1.0/1.1 to .NET 3.5
IE7 autocomplete not working after web app was migrated from .NET 1.0/1.1 to .NET 3.5. OS: Windows XP. Autocomplete worked fine on IE6 and IE7 before migration.  Is there anything thats needs to be configured on the server for IE7 autocomplete to work with the new migrated 3.5 application?  Appreciate the feedback         How are you impleneting Autocomplete? Can you show us problem causing code..My Blog"Don't be afraid to be wrong; otherwise you'll never be right." there is no autocomplete implementation. This is purely using...

How change .net framework version VWD 2008 express edition is using
 Hi all =)I wanna  change .net framework edition so visual studio will create a web.config including the assembly with another versionRight now my web.config is with this line: <add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>But i need it in another version and probably with a different publicKeyToken.Thank you  have a look at this thread: http://forums.asp.net/t/1266711.aspx Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" ...

Web resources about - Help me understand how to work with the various .net versions - asp.net.web-dev-2008-express

Resonate Social For Facebook Helps Advertisers Understand Users’ Motivations
Why do Facebook users make the decisions they make? Resonate wants to help advertisers find out, so the digital marketing outfit launched Resonate ...

Facebook PMD Gigya releases Consumer Insights to better understand user identities
... allows marketers to easily query Gigya’s Identity Storage database and tie identity information with key performance indicators to understand ...

Genius by Rap Genius — Search and understand the meaning of song lyrics, poetry, literature, and news ...
Get Genius by Rap Genius — Search and understand the meaning of song lyrics, poetry, literature, and news on the App Store. See screenshots and ...

All sizes - Understand Abundance & Breath - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Kate Micucci & Tony Thaxton - "Puppets Understand" - YouTube
Subscribe for more Nerdist Presents: http://nerdi.st/subscribe Written and Performed by KATE MICUCCI & TONY THAXTON Watch Duo: http://youtu.be/Tj5RLliHNMQ ...

Scientists continue search to understand Mers
The Mers coronavirus continues to confound scientists. To better understand the disease and determine where it comes from, a new project set ...

Explainer Video of the Day: Author John Green Helps You Understand Boko Haram
... in the news, but the situation in Nigeria with the Islamist terrorist group Boko Haram often gets overlooked and can be difficult to understand. ...

The Aussie rules love affair and one who can't understand it
Football (the AFL variety) and I have always had a tumultuous relationship. I've never really understood its allure, but it's always been there, ...

14 Accounting Terms Everyone In Small Business Needs To Understand
Like any profession, accounting has what seems to be impenetrable jargon to outsiders. But, also like most professions, the jargon is just shorthand ...

Tony Abbott doesn't understand the China challenge
The Australian government's new attitude towards China's foreign policy underestimates that country's determination to change the geopolitical ...