Can't Install Visual Web Developer 2008 Express

I have tried 3 times over 10 hours to get this installed. The application downloads the files ok, launches the install for each component but when it (finally) gets to SQL Publishing Wizard, a windows msgbox pops up stating Invalid license data. Reinstall is required". This msgbox is an OK only box. I click on OK and the install continues it's thing and then reports all components install successfully!

After the installer is finished and closes. I try to launch the app from the Start menu and it opens the Visual Studio 2008 application and displays the design interface OK But before I can do anything, the msgbox pops up again with the same error message as during the install. When I click the OK option Visual Studio closes. I have tried doing the Repair/Reinstall with the same results as above. I even tried rebooting between the Repair/Reinstall process. Actually it is really just a reinstall more than a repair as it re-downloads and re-installs which takes the same amount of time as the original install. The installer gives no warning about anything it finds that is wrong or corrupt but, just before it is finished, the same msgbox error followed by the installer saying everything installed successfully?!?

 Can somebody help me figure out what I need to do to get this installed??

 Thanks,
DevManiac

DevManiac,
Building a better tomorow 1 line of code at a time...
0
DevManiac

First, uninstall everything. Then go and install SQL Server 2005 Express first.  After this, try installing VWD 2008.

Christopher Reed
Careed
3/23/2008 11:48:54 PM

maybe u should try an offline instalation u can download the Visual Studio express dvd from here http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/#webInstall

if this post unswerd ur question marke it as answer
0
yassir
3/23/2008 11:50:15 PM

Careed:
First, uninstall everything. Then go and install SQL Server 2005 Express first.  After this, try installing VWD 2008.

Thanks Careed,

The strange thing is SQL Server 2005 Express is working fine. It was the only component that did work after the install. I just installed the VB 2005 Express and it too is working fine. I think I'll try uninstalling VWD completely and reinstalling...

DevManiac,
Building a better tomorow 1 line of code at a time...
0
DevManiac
3/24/2008 2:15:30 AM

yassir.2:

maybe u should try an offline installation u can download the Visual Studio express DVD from here http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/#webInstall

Thanks Yassir,

I will try uninstalling the VWD entirely and let it install over night. If that don't work, I will try the entire DVD as you suggested. Will I need to uninstall VB 2005 Express first? I installed it separately and it is working fine. I would hate to loose it in the install of the entire DVD. Maybe I'll exclude it from the DVD options... Thinking out loud here lol

Thanks Again,

DevManiac,
Building a better tomorow 1 line of code at a time...
0
DevManiac
3/24/2008 2:19:09 AM

This "DVD" is actually an ISO file that you will need to hook-up to work like it's a DVD.  You should be able to pick and choose what you want install, so it shouldn't affect your VB install.

Personally, I would exhaust all other options before using the "DVD", though you might start the download now if you haven't already.  Make sure you have plenty of room on your hard drive.

Christopher Reed
Careed
3/24/2008 2:30:05 AM

Careed:

This "DVD" is actually an ISO file that you will need to hook-up to work like it's a DVD.  You should be able to pick and choose what you want install, so it shouldn't affect your VB install.

Personally, I would exhaust all other options before using the "DVD", though you might start the download now if you haven't already.  Make sure you have plenty of room on your hard drive.

the DVD includes .NET, VWD, VC#, VB, VC++, and sql express so u can just keep VB installed and add the ones u need also having a dvd is better than installing it online

if this post unswerd ur question marke it as answer
0
yassir
3/24/2008 12:33:19 PM

Any resolution to this? Did uninstalling everything except SQL express and then reinstalling work? Did the offline version work? Anyone have any tips for intsalling VWDEE 2008 on vista? From what I read when it first came out getting it running on vista was a challenge to say the least. I dont want to install it on my dev box until I can install it and be sure it's working properly.

0
DirtyD
3/27/2008 8:11:26 PM

Yes I got it installed by uninstalling everything but SQL server 2005 and reinstalling VWD. I have no issues since 2 days ago. Sorry for not posting sooner been real busy here with server moves. Thanks again to everyone who helped me!

Paul

DevManiac,
Building a better tomorow 1 line of code at a time...
0
DevManiac
3/27/2008 9:04:43 PM

 if ur question is answerd mark it as answerd

if this post unswerd ur question marke it as answer
0
yassir
3/27/2008 10:07:49 PM

OK Yassir, I was not aware there was an option to mark it as answered but I click the mark as Answered button next to Careed sugestion as that was what fixed the issue.

Thanks :)
Paul

DevManiac,
Building a better tomorow 1 line of code at a time...
0
DevManiac
3/27/2008 10:55:35 PM
he helped u so he worth it

if this post unswerd ur question marke it as answer
0
yassir

can't install ajaxControlToolKit with Visual Web Developer 2008 express
 Hi,i'm having problems installing ajaxControlToolKitI've downloaded asp.net 3.5 extentions and ajaxControlToolKit. I installed asp.net extensions and unziped ajaxControlToolKit. When i try to choose items inside toolbox tab in Visual Web Developer 2008 Express it says: "There was an error loading assembly c:/.../ajaxControlToolKit.dll.  Could not load file or assembly System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=..." Or one of its dependencies. I have .net framework v3.5What am i doing wrong?Thanks   I solved my pro...

Visual Studion Express 2008 SP1, Visual Web Developer Express 2008 and Web Application Project Template
Hi All, I installed Visual Web Developer Express 2008 sp1 on my two machines, one running Vista & other running XP. On the XP machine, when I open VWD Express 2008 I get an option to use Web Application project template as a new project option but on my Vista machine I only get an option to use Web site model template option. My question is, is the sp1 incompatible with vista? Any help or explanation would be appreciated   Thanks SP1 is compatible with vista.  I would try devenv.exe /installvstemplates to see if you could force vwd to see the other project types otherwise ...

Visual Web Developer 2008 doesn't connect to SQL Server 2008 Express
 Hey everyone. I'm once again having trouble with my install of Visual Web Developer 2008 and SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services on my Vista Home Premium notebook.  VWD 2008 can't seem to connect to my databases in SQL Server 2008. I use the Connect to Database feature in the Tools menu and select Microsoft SQL Server. When I get to the Add Connection window I hit refresh next to the Server name drop-down but nothing shows up. I'm completely baffled by this. What do you think is the cause of this? What are the steps i need to take to resolve this i...

Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition...Can't connect to Database
Sorry to bring this topic up again....seems like such a noobie question, however I have done almost everything I can to try to connect to database through the ASP.NET Configuration and then going to  "Provider Configuration". When I first started using this program maybe a week or so ago, I had Windows XP. The only thing that I specified in my firewall was just to give access to VWD, and that was it. But recently after getting Windows Vista, I am sure it is not the operating system, I can't seem to connect to the database. This has been going on for some time now and I hav...

How to use Visual Web Developper 2008 Express Edition with Visual C# 2008 Express Edition for n-tier development
Can these products be bundled when working in a n-tier project? What are the best practise methods? Or is moving to Visual Studio 2008 Standard Editon the solution? In most cases you will find all you need is in VWD 2008, If you install SP1 then you can compile class libraries now as well, so less need for c#2008. Also you might find this good to read http://imar.spaanjaars.com/QuickDocId.aspx?quickdoc=416 Hope it helpsRegardsJeremyIf this has helped Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.That way future readers will know which post solve...

I cannot use SQL Server 2008 Express with Visual Web Developer 2008 Express
I have downloaded the Visual Studio 2008 Express with SP1 All-In-One DVD image file, burned a DVD and installed Visuall Basic, with SQL Server and Visual Web Developer. However when I try to test a new site and add a  New Item/SQL Sever database I get a message: "failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed." I tried to use SQL Server Configuration manager and change SQLEXPRESS logon properties (different built-in account and my Windows Vista account) but it doesn't work and I ...

visual web developer 2008 express installed need upgrade vwd 2008 sp1
Hi all, any one can help me on this, i have installed visual web developer 2008 express edition on windows server 2003  R2 standard edition service pack 2 now i need to upgrade visual  web developer express edition service pack 1  when I serach i found vwd 2008 with SP1 link to download. but my question is since i have already installed VWD 2008 can I only run service pack update so that upgrade VWD 2008 to VWD 2008 with SP1. any ideas?   Yes. You can aplly the SP-1 to VWD 2008 to upgrade it from the link provided. If you have other VS Express edition programs su...

Visual Web Developer Express can't connect to Express dabase --Help please .
I have installed   Download Visual Web Developer Express now, with the Express database that is downlaoded with, then tries to create a Personal web site starter kit, but i am getting the following error.An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)...

Error: 25
I am in VWD and went to Database Explorer to "Add Connection" to a .mdf File located on another PC on the network.  I see the following: 1) Data Source: Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient)2) Server Name: \\ComputerName3) Log on to the Server: Use SQL Server Authentication4) Connect to a database: Attach a Database File: \\Computename\FolderName\DatabaseName.mdf5) Logical Name: [Left Blank]6) Advanced Tab: [No Changes]7) Clicked the Button: "Test Connection" Receive this Error: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting ...

ReportViewer MS Visual Web Dev 2008 Express doesn't work
Hi Just trying to get my had around reportviewer in MS Visual Web Dev 2008 .   I ran RepportViewer.exe redisbution for 2008 on the server but and I cannot see ReportViewer in toolbox under Data in MS Visual Web Dev 2008 installed on the server . So I decided to do it manually but I'm still having an error "Error creating control failed to create designer ..."   I added in web.config that: <add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A" /> <add assembly="Microsoft...

machine.config problem after installing .net 3.5 and visual web developer 2008 express
 I had asp.net 2.0 and visual web developer 2005 installed on my windows xp computer. I then installed .net 3.5 and visual web developer 2008 express on the same computer with out uninstalling .net 2.0 and VWD 2005 express and did not encounter any errors during installation. Problem is, i can no longer run any project.When i create a web site in visual web developer 2008 and click "start Debugging" i get the error message below"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config(138): Build (web): Unrecognized configuration section system.serviceModel.&qu...

Visual Studio 2008 -or- Visual Web Developer Express 2008 -or- SharePoint Designer / Etc.
It's been a while since I actively designed in dot net.  Now it's time to do some serious updating to our website (from dot net 1.1 to 3.5).  I haven't used any of the new design tools but want to be able to take complete advantage of all the new features of v3.5 and the features of development applications. What are the differences between Visual Studio 2008 / Visual Web Developer Express 2008 / SharePoint Designer / Etc. and are there any others I should consider for development?  I just want to settle on a development platform so I can start moving forward...

Where can I get the Microsoft.mshtml.dll (I'm a Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Ed. user)
Hi, I use a 3rd party ASP.NET control which refers to Microsoft.mshtml.dllto run it's GUI designer. I found out by installing Visual Web Developer 2008, this dll does notget installed. I discovered that not the Web Developer but installing the VB(C#) 2008 Express Editions will get the SDK for VS2008 Express Ed.Tools. However, this SDK did not include the Microsoft.mshtml.dlleither. I remember .NET 2.0 SDK contained the Microsoft.mshtml.dll.Could you kindly point out how and where could I get the Microsoft.mshtml.dllinto my GAC please. Thank you.yagimay .NET 2.0 SDK is here ht...

Web resources about - Can't Install Visual Web Developer 2008 Express - asp.net.web-dev-2008-express