'View In Browser' - error: Can't display the web page

 Just installed VS 2008 and started to view the ASP.Net videos to experiment with the sample code.

Win/XP Pro SP-2

Verizon/Yahoo DSL

  A simple web site was created with a label, checkbox and login control.  When I click on the 'start debugging' arrow, the website displays correctly with the following URL:

http://localhost:1261/adminTest/Default.aspx

It makes NO difference if  'Use dynamic ports' is set to True or False for the project...

If I try to view a page using the 'View In Browser' method or attempt to invoke the ASP.NET Configuration Tool (from the login control, or Solutions Panel, or Menu option),  The  browser starts and the following warning is displayed:

____________________Yahoo Browser message ___________________________________

"Warning: the page you are about to visit may attempt to request your personal information (such as passwords, credit card numbers and social security numbers) for unauthorized use or may otherwise attempt to harm your computer.

Malicious web sites can use this type of address in order to disguise themselves.

The destination may appear to be:

%22http

but the actual destination is:

%22http

Do you still want to open the webpage.  (Yes and NO Buttons)

When I select the 'Yes" button, the browser (Explorer 7) tries to load the page, but navigation fails because the page can't be found, the browser terminates and throws me back into the VS Studio IDE.

Looking at the browser history for %22http - this is what was passed to the browser:

http://%22http//localhost:1286/asp.netwebadminfiles/default.aspx?applicationPhysicalPath=C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Home.%20PC11\My%20Documents\Visual%20Studio%202008\WebSites\adminTest\&applicationUrl=/adminTest"

The '%22http://' preceeds what I think should be the correct URL (just guessing....) The same result happens weather I create the website using the 'File System" or as 'localhost" in the Win/XP IIS.

Note: I am creating the website as a Net.Framework 3.5, but the ASP.NET Configuration Tool is located at:

Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ASP.NETWebAdminFiles (I assume this is OK since it is not in the 3.5 folder...)

Subsequently, I also installed Visual Web Developer Express 2005 - SP 1 and have the same results.

Regards,

Jim

0
gcricket13

Are you using customized browser ("Yahoo Browser")? Try setting regular IE as your default browser in the system.

Mikhail
3/1/2008 8:41:16 PM

Mikhail,

Thanks for your response!!  You are correct in that Yahoo uses a customized version of IE-7:

"C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrowser.exe"

vs MS IE-7:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

I changed the 'default' browser to IE 7, rebooted and tested.  As before the app runs fine when executed as F5 (Run (debug mode or not). It does use the Yahoo Browser and I get a message informing that Yahoo Browser in not the default browser. I click on 'No" to keep IE as the default browser.

When I use the 'View In Browser' option or Admin for the 'Login' control, I get a message informing that Yahoo Browser in not the default browser. I click on 'No" to keep IE as the browser and then the Yahoo Browser launches with the same warning popup and unable to load page.

Looked at all the registry entries for Visual Studio, but there is no direct reference to the browser pgm name. Aslo, did a search for aspx to see if a 'File Type' Open List might default to the Yahoo Brower.. no luck there...  No reference in the Visual Developer 'Options' either.

I think your suggestion is correct, but somehow Visual Studio is bypassing the default browser and launches the Yahoo Browser...  VS has to be looking at some registry entry as a reference...

Regards,

Jim

0
gcricket13
3/2/2008 12:01:51 AM

You are correct, VS maintains its own list of browsers since you may use one browser for general Web access and may wish to use another one for debugging. To change VS browser, right click on aspx ot html file in the Solution Explorer, choose Browse With..., select IE7 in the list and click 'Set As Default'

Mikhail
3/2/2008 12:13:14 AM

Mikhail,

I right clicked on the aspx and project  to access the 'Browse With" selection.

It Listed: Enternal Web Browser

              Internet Explorer (Default)

              Yahoo! Browser

Even though Internet Explorer showed 'default', I assumed that was a product of setting the option within Internet Explorer as per your earlier reply.

Selected IE and clicked on the <Set as Default> button...  Tested the "View in Browser' and admin access via the 'Login' control..

It worked fine!!!  Thanks for your help and quick responses..

Regards,

Jim

0
gcricket13
3/2/2008 3:42:34 AM

regarding this issue I have the same problem and changing the IE7 to default browser does not solves the problem for me. I have this problem since I had some errors with debuging in IE7 and installed Mozila Firefox 3 as default browser. Then "View In Browser" worked for some time by trying more than once, but now does not work at all. I already made IE7 as default but it is same.

0
igor_jus

'Can't save web pages, Ctrl+S. 'Can save same pages from I.E
Name: Del Dyreson Email: drdyreson_at_earthlink.net Product: Firefox Summary: 'Can't save web pages, Ctrl+S. 'Can save same pages from I.E Comments: 'Can't save web pages, Ctrl+S. 'Can save same pages from I.E. I'm running Win2000Pro, Ver 5.0 (Build 2195, Service Pack 4). Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060508 Firefox/1.5.0.4 ...

Can't 'Add Web Reference' of Java AXIS Web Service!
Hi All, I'm trying to consume a web service written in AXIS, but am having serious issues. Namely, when I try to add it as web reference, I get to a web page that displays: "MyWebServiceName, Hi there, this is an AXIS service!, Perhaps there will be a form for invoking the service here... "  I do have wsdl file of the web service, however when I try to manually create the proxy I get several binding errors and the process fails. Also, the web service does not seem to accept POST as I always seem to be getting http 500 errors. At this point I have no idea what else to t...

''''''''''''''''''''

It's all very fuzzy now...can make web request(?) but definately can't get web response from web service
Alas...trying to get a web service response from a web service that is part of the web site in Visual Studio.Net 3.5 appears to be impossible.  Infact, I've been ALL over the internet over the past couple of days looking at all types of fragmentory examples in all types of Microsoft languages to no avail. =========QUESTION:=========1.  How do I call a web service (the function to call is "WebService_BulkData") so that my aspx page will send it a SOAP request and print out the web service response data to the page?  The aspx page AND the web service are part of t...

Differences between a 'Web Site' and a 'Web Application' w.r.t. .Design namespaces?
I have a web site project which I want to convert to a web application. I noticed that the website has references to System.Design, System.Drawing.Design and System.Web.Extensions.Design.When I create a new Web Application project none of these Design namespaces are referenced. So, when converting a web site project to a web application should I leave out those references?  I ask this because I just read Scott G's tips for converting a Web Site to a Web Application and the first point he makes is that one needs to include, in one's new web application, all the same references us...

'do' won't 'do' if '/'

'''''

ver 3.6b4 Firefox browser
Name: info@cosmiccircuit.com Email: infoatcosmiccircuitdotcom Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: ver 3.6b4 Firefox browser - can't play Quicktime X files created using 'Save for Web' Comments: Still unable to display Apple's videos created using Quicktime X's 'save for web' feature. See an example at: http://concertvideopro.com/samples/index2.htm These videos play in IE & Safari ok. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2b4) Gecko/20091124 Firefox/3.6b4 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Can't run local web pages and IIS doesn't not open
If I start my computer without a connection to the Internet,I can't open any pages like "http://localhost/DBMJ/anypage.html"and,I can't open IIS, .. I click on the icon and nothing happens.I ran "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -i"but that didn't fix it (it runs forever just showing the  . . . . . . . . . . . . . on the screen).This only happens when there is no Internet connection when I start the computer up.If there is an Internet connection, it works.Anyone know why this is happening?  thanks   check o...

how can you display another web site's web page in your web page without leaving your site
Can you display another web site's web page in your web page without leaving your site? I know you could use a frameset with .asp, but it looks like Visual Web Delevoper 2005 does not have any controls to setup a frameset. Any help, that would point me in the right direction would be great. Thanks Patrick     With screen scraping 4GuysFromRolla.Com: Screen Scrapes in ASP.NEThttp://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/070601-1.shtmlThanks,Teemu KeiskiFinland, EU Thank you. This information was a great help!!! Thanks again Patrick...

'DataItem' is not a member of 'System.Web.UI.Page'
I am getting this error when compiling the following code: <%@ Import Namespace="System.IO"%><%@ Import Namespace="System.Data.OleDb"%><%@ Import Namespace="System.Data"%><script language="VB" runat="server"> Dim savePath As String = "C:\upload\"Sub Upload_Click(source As Object, e As EventArgs)   If Not (uploadedFile.PostedFile Is Nothing) Then    Try      Dim postedFile = uploadedFile.PostedFile      Dim filename As String = Path.GetFi...

Can't connect to this Verizon's Web page?
Hello! Is anyone else having problems connecting to http://www22.verizon.com/ForYourHome/sas/sas_AppLandingPage.aspx?FlowID=PWDContact from http://www22.verizon.com/CustomerSupport/ContactUs/Index/ (click on "Customers with Disabilities" at the bottom of the Web page)? Internet Explorer v6.0 SP1 on the same Windows 2000 SP4 machine had no problems. Thank you in advance. :) -- Phillip Pi Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst Norton SystemWorks (PC) Symantec Corporation www.symantec.com ----------------------------------------------------- Email: phillip_pi@s...

Web resources about - 'View In Browser' - error: Can't display the web page - asp.net.web-dev-2008-express