Windows Media Player control is greyed out in toolbox

I'm trying to use the Windows Media Player control on an .aspx web form page in design mode using Visual Web Developer 2005 Express. I have added the correct references and succeeded in adding the correct control to the toolbox; however, the WMP control is grey-out, and I can't use it. How can I get this control enabled? How else can I add a WMP control to my .aspx page and be able to reference the object library using VB.NET? Please help!

0
mcparente

The Windows Media Player control is not available for use on webpages. If you have a windows form you can place a WMP on there. If you know html you can use that to place a wmp section on an aspx page.

0
bolinc
7/17/2007 3:07:51 PM

Hi mcparente,

I agree with bolinc, the control is the WinForm control which is not available for Web Form project. To play the video in aspx page, please refer to the following code.

<head runat="server">
    <title>Untitled Page</title>
</head>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
            <embed src="test.wmv"></embed>
    </form>

Sincerely,
Benson Yu
Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
0
Benson
7/18/2007 3:29:00 AM

Visual Studio no longer supports ActiveX controls in the Web toolbox. If you wish to use ActiveX controls such as WMP, you have to manually type <object> or <embed> elements in Source view.

Mikhail
7/23/2007 5:25:22 AM

To use WMP,provided its available use

<embed></embed> tag in transitional 4.01 doctype

and

<object> in XHTML

Not sure if there is anything in VS2005 to do that.

Please Mark Post that helped you as answer, also include a summary of what solved the problem as it helps others in similar situations
0
naturehermit
7/23/2007 12:56:20 PM

hi,

can u tell how to add windows media player componenent and sound recoder in web application.(dotnet)

0
mani05_ksr
11/10/2008 5:47:57 AM

Use the following code to embed a windows media control in your asp.net webapplication:

<OBJECT ID="Player"
    CLASSID="CLSID:6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6"
    VIEWASTEXT>
                    <PARAM name="autoStart" value="True">
                    <PARAM name="URL" value="Files/Audio/Miami.mp3">
                    <PARAM name="rate" value="1">
                    <PARAM name="balance" value="0">
                    <PARAM name="enabled" value="true">
                    <PARAM name="enabledContextMenu" value="true">
                    <PARAM name="fullScreen" value="true">
                    <PARAM name="playCount" value="1">
                    <PARAM name="volume" value="100">
    </OBJECT>

 Hope this helps.

Regards, Guido

0
guidos

Windows Media Player Control is grey on Toolbox
Hi,   i´m trying to use the Windows Media Player Control with Microsoft Visual Studio as explained on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb249583(VS.85).aspx   I have follwed this steps: Right-click within the Toolbox, and then select Choose Items. This opens the Customize Toolbox dialog box. On the COM Components tab, select Windows Media Player. If Windows Media Player does not appear in the list, click Browse, and then open Wmp.dll, which should be in the Windows\System32 folder. Click OK. The Windows Media Player control will be placed on the current Toolbox t...

Visual Web Dev 2005 Express & SQL 2005 Express
Last week I downloaded and installed Vis Web Dev Express 2005 and have it running absolutely fine.  2 days later I downloaded the most recent SQL Server Express but when I try to install it, I get a message saying it has "detected incompatible beta components fromVisual Studio or SQL Server" and that I must "run the build clean up wizard from the cd."  Since I downloaded both parts I dont have a cd.  I dont particularly want to uninstall webdev express because the download was so slow the first time and it doesn't leave an install file for reinstallation.  What's my best ...

Web Controls Missing from VS.NET 2005 Toolbox
I run both VS.NET 2003 and 2005. However, since I recently had to reload my laptop VS.NET 2005 no longer has web controls displaying in it's toolbox. I've documented the steps I've tried to take towards fixing this issue. Here's what I've tried: I tried installing and reinstalling the .NET Framework 2.0 SDK, including re-downloading the install file from MS' site. I tried resetting the toolbox per this forum post, http://forums.asp.net/p/1152823/1884825.aspx#1884825. I tried running devent /setup, also per this forum post, http://forums.asp.net/p/1152823/1...

can't find Window Media Player control in my toolbox
Hi: I'm trying to add:  Window Media Player control to my toolbox, but I just can get it, below is my steps:1. From the toolbox, right click -> choose items -> COM Components -> find: Window Media Player in the list -> select it and click ok.I see the Toolbox area flashes, but I just can't find the control in the toolbox.Can you tell me which folder should this control goes? What is the control name? I am looking all the existing folders in the toolbox area, just can't find it.Thanks for your help.JT    HI Follow the Same method what u have done pr...

Windows Media Player, Windows 2003 Streaming Media Services and Player Versions
I am going to try and make a media center for my website using Visual Studio.NET, ASP.NET, VB.NET, SQL 2000, Windows 2003 Standard and its Windows Streaming Media Server. I am having a difficult time finding "Good" info on embedding the windows media player. I am using the Visual Studio COM Component, Windows Media Player to drag and drop the player on the Webform. Everything works great "for me" because I have the Windows Media Player 9.0 installed on my computer. If I send the link to some one with 8.0 or below nothing happens or just the audio plays. I know ther...

FIX: Updates for Windows Media Player 9 Series and for Windows Media Player 10
followup to grc.techtalk FIX: Updates for Windows Media Player 9 Series and for Windows Media Player 10 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892313/EN-US/ ----------------------------------------------------------- Quote ----------------------------------------------------------- Article ID : 892313 Last Review : March 11, 2005 Revision : 1.0 SYMPTOMS This article describes the updates for the following issues that occur in Microsoft Windows Media Player 9 Series and in Windows Media Player 10: * Windows Media Player may ignore a fractional STA...

Web Matrix vs Vis Web Dev 2005 Express
Hi - i'm looking to upsize MS Access DBs to SQL Server and also migrate to web vs LAN- Yesterday downloaded SQL Server 2005 express and Vis web Debveloper Express as learning tools (haven't yet installed) Today ran across Web Matrix - which appears to be for earlier versions of .Net Are Matrix and Web Developer express similar? Can someone fill me in - which should i be learning? thanks  Just to make sure you're clear, Web Matrix is for ASP.NET 1.1 and VWD is for ASP.NET 2.0.While Web Matrix met a need, Visual Web Developer is by far the superior tool.  If you have the op...

FIX: Updates for Windows Media Player 9 Series and for Windows Media Player 10 #2
followup to grc.security FIX: Updates for Windows Media Player 9 Series and for Windows Media Player 10 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892313 see Ed Bott's post before installing: Finally, a (partial) solution for "poisoned" Windows Media files! http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000641.html ----------------------------------------------------------- Quote ----------------------------------------------------------- Article ID : 892313 Last Review : April 15, 2005 Revision : 2.1 SYMPTOMS This article describes the updat...

Controling a Windows Media Player Control embedded on an aspx page
Hi everyone, I'm developing an ASP.NET 2.0 page that will allow a client to view a list of videos based on the client's selection.   To get the ActiveX control on I'm using the <OBJECT> tag.  However, I would like to be able to manipluate the control from the page's code behind.  For example, the list of videos will be updated on the fly as new videos become available so if the user clicks on a new entry in the list I would like to be able to tell the control to goto that video and start playing, also when that file ends it needs to be able to automa...

move database from web dev express to SQL 2005 or SQL Express
I'm guessing something like this has been posted before, but I'm having trouble finding excatly what I'm looking for.  Here's the situation. I am building a site based on the club starter kit.  The database appears to be part of the web project.  I've modified some of the tables so it's not the original club database anymore. I would like to move this database to SQL Express (i.e. the database will appear in my SQL Server Mgmt. Studio) and I would also like to try to move it to SQL 2005.  I don't have a host yet, so I think being able to move it to either product would ...

VS.NET 2005 & Visual Web Developer 2005 Express
I'm currently working on VWD using C#, and i'm planning to study MCTS, so i'm wondering if there's major differences between both in Web field.Thank you aloti need a creative atmosphere Not for what you're doing.JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

Windows Media Service, Windows Media Player, and Firefox
Name: PM Damez Email: pierre-marie.damez_at_volvo.com Product: Firefox Summary: Windows Media Service, Windows Media Player, and Firefox Comments: Hi, When viewing a webcast sent over the network using a Windows 2003 Media Service server and displayed in Firefox, the script commands do not get interpreted by Firefox. To be specific, you can send scripts in the audio/video stream to be interpreted by Windows Media Player which itself sends a command to the browser to refresh iframe web pages. The command is not interpreted by Firefox. Best regards, PM Br...

Windows Media Player Control
If you need to publish audio, video or broadcast your radio station, you can use my server control - here is the example http://interval.cz/podklady/ruzicka/aspx/650/WMPlayer.aspx?MediaUrl=http://www.meteleskublesku.cz/media/12/snd/22.mp3 Here is the source of control: http://interval.cz/podklady/ruzicka/aspx/650/zdroj.txt You have to compile this source to ControlWindowsMediaPlayer.dll and put it to the Bin directory. Here is the sample page explaining using of this control: <%@Page Language="C#" EnableViewState="False" EnableSessionState="Fals...

Web resources about - Windows Media Player control is greyed out in toolbox - asp.net.web-dev-2005-express

The Windows Blog

How to fix error 0xc0000017 when installing Windows 10
While I've been running Windows 10 for what seems like forever now, a desktop computer sitting in my office running Windows 8.1 has been crying ...

Microsoft shows off just how much data it’s collecting from Windows 10 users
Despite its continued insistence that Windows 10 isn't spying on anyone, Microsoft has done little to convince the majority of concerned users ...

Samsung’s Galaxy TabPro S Offers the First Super AMOLED Windows Tablet Display
... However, its slender physique is no commentary on its abilities. It is packed with capabilities with full PC functionality including Windows ...

Samsung jumps on Windows 10 with light laptop, 2-in-1 device
LAS VEGAS Samsung announced today that Windows 10 will run on its newest lightweight laptop and a new 2-in-1 tablet called the Galaxy TabPro ...

T-Mobile's first Windows 10 Mobile phone is big and cheap
Say whatever you want about Windows 10 Mobile, but the folks over at T-Mobile reckon there's still a demand for this relatively niche player, ...

Microsoft Claims Windows 10 Running on 200 Million Devices
DAILY VIDEO: Microsoft: 200 million active Windows 10 devices; Samsung shows off a smart belt concept at CES; Intel buys drone software baker ...

Microsoft Confirms Windows 10 Has Nasty Spying Secrets
Microsoft's has inadvertently revealed six secret ways Windows 10 spies on its users...