Hosting website on my computer

Hello,

 I have finished working on a website and I'd like to host it on my own computer (For testing purposes).

 I made it in Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition (C#).

 I'm not new to web hosting but I'm not sure how I go about hosting it on my own computer, especially when my website is comprised of a web service as well (2 projects).

 I've searched the net but im still not sure how I do it with a web service (all my methods are on the web service)

 Thanks in advance

0
Nirkon

What OS and version?
Do you have IIS installed?

David Wier
MCP/ASPInsider
ASPNet101.com - where to look first!
augustwind
5/4/2009 2:56:25 PM

 Windows XP Pro SP3, installing IIS as I write this.

0
Nirkon
5/4/2009 3:01:58 PM

Okay I got an HTML file running from my IP address,

then I added a virtual directory to my website for the web services.

When I tried to access them through localhost they gave me errors, I then followed this guide that said it would fix it:

1. Unregistered all the versions of ASP.NET with command "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis –ua".

2. Deleted the ASPNET account from "Local Users and Group – Users".

3. Then registered ASP.NET 2.0 with IIS using "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis –i".

4. Gave permissions to the ASPNET account using "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis –ga machinename\ASPNET".

5. Reset the IIS and that resolved the issue for ASP.NET 2.0.

6. We registered ASP.NET 1.1 with IIS as well using command "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis –i".

7. Reset the IIS.

Then, I tried to access the services again but this time I was blocked out because of a 403 error... anyway I succeeded in adding the web references from inside

the project, so that worked.

But now, when I go to the Login Page of my website thorugh localhost I get this:

Server Application Unavailable

The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable.  Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

now I dont know what to do from here.

0
Nirkon

How to Create a Simple Web Form for Go Daddy hosted site from Visual Web Dev 2005 Express Edition
I have spent all weekend trying to make my simple form mail WORK.  And now, much forum hunting and Go Daddy calling later, I want to post what I have learned, hoping to save another newbie a loooooong weekend.  So here goes:1) If you don't have one already, create an e-mail account at Go Daddy.  It will take about 15 minutes to become active.  Write down your user id and password, then forge ahead with the rest of this.  It will take you less than an hour, depending on how detailed your form is.2) Create your form in MS VWD 2005 X ed using the Wizard tool...

Visual Web Dev 2005 Express & SQL 2005 Express
Last week I downloaded and installed Vis Web Dev Express 2005 and have it running absolutely fine.  2 days later I downloaded the most recent SQL Server Express but when I try to install it, I get a message saying it has "detected incompatible beta components fromVisual Studio or SQL Server" and that I must "run the build clean up wizard from the cd."  Since I downloaded both parts I dont have a cd.  I dont particularly want to uninstall webdev express because the download was so slow the first time and it doesn't leave an install file for reinstallation.  What's my best ...

Amazon Web Services: Hosting a .net website on the Elastic Computing Cloud
Hi - we are currently developing a software as a service project in .net and we are thinking about using the aws ec2 for scalability. Has anyone experience with this? What are the gotcha's and best practices? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.   Oliver I would also be very interested by the answer. Although, since EC2 does not support Windows Server; this is probably quite a painful path. Best regards,Joannèslokad.com demand forecasting  anyone know how this worked out, or if their elastic cloud works well for hosting asp.net sites?  I could currently cut my s...

How to have VS web server host at a website root? (VWD 2005 Express Edition)
If I was using the full version of VS 2005, then this wouldn't be a problem with an asp.net web application, but with VWD EE, it likes to tack on a virtual directory (or folder name) matching the web project name.  Is there anyway to modify my machine so that this web server loads the pages at the root: ie: localhost:####/index.aspxinstead of localhost:####/MyAppName/index.asp?  wow.. no replies.well anyway, it's so easy to change, just somewhat hiding (I expected it to be in the website "property pages".  It's right under website properties(F4).  ...

Web Matrix vs Vis Web Dev 2005 Express
Hi - i'm looking to upsize MS Access DBs to SQL Server and also migrate to web vs LAN- Yesterday downloaded SQL Server 2005 express and Vis web Debveloper Express as learning tools (haven't yet installed) Today ran across Web Matrix - which appears to be for earlier versions of .Net Are Matrix and Web Developer express similar? Can someone fill me in - which should i be learning? thanks  Just to make sure you're clear, Web Matrix is for ASP.NET 1.1 and VWD is for ASP.NET 2.0.While Web Matrix met a need, Visual Web Developer is by far the superior tool.  If you have the op...

move database from web dev express to SQL 2005 or SQL Express
I'm guessing something like this has been posted before, but I'm having trouble finding excatly what I'm looking for.  Here's the situation. I am building a site based on the club starter kit.  The database appears to be part of the web project.  I've modified some of the tables so it's not the original club database anymore. I would like to move this database to SQL Express (i.e. the database will appear in my SQL Server Mgmt. Studio) and I would also like to try to move it to SQL 2005.  I don't have a host yet, so I think being able to move it to either product would ...

VS.NET 2005 & Visual Web Developer 2005 Express
I'm currently working on VWD using C#, and i'm planning to study MCTS, so i'm wondering if there's major differences between both in Web field.Thank you aloti need a creative atmosphere Not for what you're doing.JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

Move website from VS 2005 Standard to Visual Web Developer 2005 Express
I am working with a partner who is using Visual Studio 2005 Standard edition and I am using Visual Web Developer 2005 Express. I have found a tutorial to move the website from express to the standard version. Is there a way to move a website from Visual Studio 2005 Standare edition to Visual Web Developer Express? What options might we have? If it is only a Web site, you can simple open it in VWD Express, no changes needed. If it is a solution with multiple sites or other projects like class library or control library, you won't be able to open it in VWD Express as it only supports Web sit...

Visual Web Dev Express 2008 and SQL server Express 2005 database connection problem
Apologies if this has already been covered, i can't find any search function on the forum. I have a somewhat annoying problem with the above software. I use Vista Home Premium x64 and have decided to install VWD 2008 and SQL2005 to learn ASP and SQL development. I only have a moderate undertanding of standard HTML and would like to expand my knowledge.  It is the final non-beta version of VWD 2008. The install went fine and no errors were shown. After trying to connect to the database via the ASP.NET application tool in VWD it gives an "unable to connect to the database ...

VS.NET 2005 Web Host?
Is there a web host out there that can host a VS.NET 2005 project?ScottSEADont forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you!This credits that member, earns you a point and mark your thread as Resolved for the sake of Future Readers. No, I don't think so since Beta 1 is not 'go live' license. My own site is still 1.1, but I do use VWD 2005 to edit it :-)Thanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

I created a website on my localhost with three .mdf files using SQL express but now I get an error when I try to host it on my web server without SQL express. need some help on how to change my connec
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred whil...

Download Visual Web Developer 2005 Express or Visual Basic 2005 Express?
Hi,I'm a programmer with a 4 year degree in computer science. I have been programming in some sort for 25 years. I have done VB (several years ago), Delphi (last done several years ago), and currently do some Acess programming every other month along with Perl about every month. I have never done any web page programming other than straight html (since 1996). My boss just asked me to look into learning ASP. We have a completed ASP project for a customer and our current vendor is too busy to update it. I would be the one doing minor changes and doing the next major phase.  So should I ...

How to configure and connect SQL Server 2005 Express to a VWD 2005 Express website?
Just installed VWD 2008 Express and have created the 'Basic Web Page'.  Now I am working on the Walkthrough: Basic Data Access in Web Pages.Step 8 showed the 'Add Connection' dialog box, where we need to enter the Server name, logon credentials, and database name.    Installing VWD 2008 Express also installeed SQL Server 2005 Express.  How and where do I get the information for the SQL Server 2005 Express, so that I can finish this walkthrough?  Or where can I find another 'Walkthrough' for configuring the SQL Server 2005 Express? &...

Web resources about - Hosting website on my computer - asp.net.web-dev-2005-express

Computer Show

Computer glitch in Moncrieff land sale saw buyers told they were not eligible
Email wrongly told potential buyers they had been disqualified because of the timing of their email.

Nordic Computer Culture Magazine Wants To Go International
Nordic computer culture magazine Skrolli has launched a crowdfunding campaign for the publication of its first international issue. The Finnish ...

"She's Not There"... the great old Zombies ad... is playing out of my computer...
... and Meade asks "Is that about Hillary?" (He imagined someone had cranked out a comic take on Hillary's failure to make it back to the debate ...

A Pirate Bay cofounder built a computer that is basically a middle finger to the recording industry
... up publicly proclaiming his ideology, which revolves around people being able to copy and distribute any work. His latest endeavor is a computer ...

"Backdoor" computer hack may have put government data at risk
"Potential vulnerability" was found in software used to secure government and corporate computer networks

Grub2 bootloader flaw leaves locked-down Linux computers at risk
... GRUB, which stands for the Grand Unified Bootloader, is used by most Linux distributions to initialize the operating system when the computer ...

The Parent’s Guide To Buying Kids Computers 2016
The Parent’s Guide To Buying Kids Computers 2016