having trouble Adding web reference

hi everyone,

i'm having trouble adding a web service to a web application. I clicked the add web reference option in the project menu to bring up the add web reference window.then I click on the web services on the local machine link and i get an error:

The Web services and Discovery Documents available on your VS.NET developer machine are listed below. Click the service link to browse that service.

There was an error while enumerating services on local machine:

Active Directory Services cannot find the web server. A possible cause for this is an incompatibility between versions of Internet Information Server (IIS) on the client and the server. Another possible cause is that IIS is not installed on the local machine, or the user identity under which you are running may not have permissions to view websites on this machine.

What can I do to fix this error?

0
ernesto1303

 What is your host O/S?
What service packs(if any) have been installed?
Are you a local admin on that box?
Has IIS been installed on that box?
If so what account is it running?

TATWORTH
7/7/2007 10:49:02 AM

Hi ernesto1303,

I would like to know if your Operation System is Vista. Based on my research, I find the following link. If your Operation System is Vista, run Visual Studio as administrator can fix this issue.

Visual Studio 2005 on Windows Vista Issue List
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa964140.aspx

Title: Browse web services on local machine

There was an error while enumerating services on local machine:
Active Directory Services cannot find the web server. A possible cause for this is an incompatibility between versions of Internet Information Server (IIS) on the client and the server. Another possible cause is that IIS is not installed on the local machine, or the user identity under which you are running may not have permissions to view websites on this machine.
Workaround: You will need to run Visual Studio with elevated administrator permissions.

Sincerely,
Benson Yu
Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
0
Benson
7/11/2007 1:52:03 AM

 Hi Benson, I read your post and thought I was on to a winner as I have been having these problems too. I'm running Vista Home Premium 32bit with IIS installed trying to add a web reference from the local machine to my web project. Despite running as administrator and adding full access to the program for all users but I still get the same error everytime I try to add the reference.

 Is there anything else I could try?

0
dashood

Web Site to Web Application 2005 and Web References
I'm trying to convert a VS 2005 Web Site  Project to a VS 2005 Web Application Project, I have followed http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration/Migration.aspx, which works fine for most objects but it does not convert the Web References.I can add them manually, however I need to ensure that the Web Reference Name is the same for all my Web Services, this is to ensure that I can used Shared Types.  The problem is on VS 2005 Web Application it renames the Web Reference Name to Localhost1, localhost2 etc. Any ideas how I can get over this?Regards <<<Bryan...

Adding a VS.NET web reference for more than one web service?
I have a web app exposing several web services: SignOnService.asmx UserService.asmx AdminService.asmx etc I have a Winform app that consumes these services. When I go to Add Web Reference in the winform app, I have to add each one individually as their own web reference. How would I set this up so that they can all be added as one web reference? I think you will have to add them to one file (.cs or .vb) the reason they are comming up separately is becuase they are seperate, they are seperate web services(asmx files), classes and have seperate WSDL description...

Web Matrix vs Vis Web Dev 2005 Express
Hi - i'm looking to upsize MS Access DBs to SQL Server and also migrate to web vs LAN- Yesterday downloaded SQL Server 2005 express and Vis web Debveloper Express as learning tools (haven't yet installed) Today ran across Web Matrix - which appears to be for earlier versions of .Net Are Matrix and Web Developer express similar? Can someone fill me in - which should i be learning? thanks  Just to make sure you're clear, Web Matrix is for ASP.NET 1.1 and VWD is for ASP.NET 2.0.While Web Matrix met a need, Visual Web Developer is by far the superior tool.  If you have the op...

Visual Web Dev 2005 Express & SQL 2005 Express
Last week I downloaded and installed Vis Web Dev Express 2005 and have it running absolutely fine.  2 days later I downloaded the most recent SQL Server Express but when I try to install it, I get a message saying it has "detected incompatible beta components fromVisual Studio or SQL Server" and that I must "run the build clean up wizard from the cd."  Since I downloaded both parts I dont have a cd.  I dont particularly want to uninstall webdev express because the download was so slow the first time and it doesn't leave an install file for reinstallation.  What's my best ...

web web web

Adding Web Reference to Web Service With SOAP Header in Visual Studio 2005
Hi, I'm a beginner in web service. Recently, I created a web service with custom SOAP header so it support security feature. I modify my code from a tutorial that I read: Imports System.Web Imports System.Web.Services Imports System.Web.Services.Protocols _ _ _ Public Class SecureHelloWorld Inherits System.Web.Services.WebService Public authentication As AuthenticationHeader _ Public Function HelloWorld() As String If authentication.Name = "Hello" AndAlso authentication.Password = "World" Then Return &quo...

How to Create a Simple Web Form for Go Daddy hosted site from Visual Web Dev 2005 Express Edition
I have spent all weekend trying to make my simple form mail WORK.  And now, much forum hunting and Go Daddy calling later, I want to post what I have learned, hoping to save another newbie a loooooong weekend.  So here goes:1) If you don't have one already, create an e-mail account at Go Daddy.  It will take about 15 minutes to become active.  Write down your user id and password, then forge ahead with the rest of this.  It will take you less than an hour, depending on how detailed your form is.2) Create your form in MS VWD 2005 X ed using the Wizard tool...

Adding a web reference to web part
Hi all, Under SharePoint Services 3.0, I have created a web part that uses the CRM web service and I was able to load the web part onto a sharepoint site but wasn't able to connect it to the web service. How can I add a web service reference to a sharepoint site / web part? Thanks in advance guys. ...

Web reference added to web project , different than reference made from winforms app ?
I had someone ask me why they couldnt browse the members of the web service they added a reference to from their web project.  They had a solution open that included both a winforms app and a web application, both of which had a web reference.  The reference made from the winforms app allowed him to browse the members of the web service, while the ref added via the web project did not. why ? I didnt have a good answer, so I just used wsdl.exe and created a proxy class and added it to the web project.  What should I have looked at ?   Hello BitShift,&nbs...

Adding a web reference to a java web service
Hi, In my .net web application, I was trying to add a web reference to a Java web service running on a SUNONE machine in my intranet. But while the dialog box was searching for the reference, i encounter the following errors. No Web References were found on this page. The request failed with HTTP status 502: Proxy Error ( The ISA Server denies the specified Uniform Resource Locator (URL). ). But the wsdl for the web service was available. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.. ...

VS.NET 2005 & Visual Web Developer 2005 Express
I'm currently working on VWD using C#, and i'm planning to study MCTS, so i'm wondering if there's major differences between both in Web field.Thank you aloti need a creative atmosphere Not for what you're doing.JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

move database from web dev express to SQL 2005 or SQL Express
I'm guessing something like this has been posted before, but I'm having trouble finding excatly what I'm looking for.  Here's the situation. I am building a site based on the club starter kit.  The database appears to be part of the web project.  I've modified some of the tables so it's not the original club database anymore. I would like to move this database to SQL Express (i.e. the database will appear in my SQL Server Mgmt. Studio) and I would also like to try to move it to SQL 2005.  I don't have a host yet, so I think being able to move it to either product would ...

Web resources about - having trouble Adding web reference - asp.net.web-dev-2005-express

Wikipedia talk:Reference desk/Guidelines/Medical advice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I disagree with this implication that this section of the guideline represents the consensus. If you look at the last few years of discussion ...

Microsoft dismisses iPad Pro as “a companion device” and references old Steve Jobs stylus quote
... to be a companion device.” Laycock also said that “at one point in time, Apple declared that if there’s a stylus, that’s failure” – a reference ...

New York Times Removes Reference to President Obama and Cable News
... — Noah Rothman (@NoahCRothman) December 18, 2015 The Times story was published Thursday, but by Friday morning, the reference to cable news ...

Can you spot these classic film references hidden in Pixar movies?
The animators at Pixar definitely love to throw in allusions to some of their favorite movies in their own films. Vimeo user Jorge Luengo Ruiz ...

10 hidden references to classic films in your favorite Pixar movies
... Madrid, told BuzzFeed that he noticed a ton of allusions in "Toy Story 3" and was inspired to make a video highlighting the cinematic references ...

See The Classic Movie References Found In Pixar's Greatest Films
... all well aware of just how clever Pixar movies are. These emotionally engaging stories are full of intricate themes and crammed with references ...

Zootopia Trailer Adds a Godfather Reference to Disney Film - Collider
Watch a new trailer for the Disney animated movie Zootopia, which takes place in a world inhabited by talking animals and features Jason Bateman ...

Hillary Clinton Ends Democratic Debate With A Star Wars Reference
The other day, President Obama ended his White House press conference with a reference to The [...]

Review: Klipsch X20i Reference In-Ear Headphones
These Klipsch X20i Reference In-Ear Headphones are pretty darn fantastic, and worth every penny.`

The Force Is Strong With This Sportscaster Who Drops ‘Star Wars’ References Like A Jedi
The Force Is Strong With This Sportscaster Who Drops ‘Star Wars’ References Like A Jedi