Getting Started with Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition #2

Hello,

In this moment I work with Web Matrix using MS SQL 2000 and MS Access databases and ASP.NET 1.1.

If I install Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition will I be able to:
1. Create ASP.NET 1.1 web sites and preview them?
    Probably  Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition generates code in ASP.NET 2.0.
    This is not a problem as I write all my code in my code editor.
2. Use MS SQL 2000 databases? I have Microsoft SQL Server 2000 installed in my computer.
3. Use Microsoft Access databases? The one that ships with Office 2003? (The latest one)

Can you give me any other advices?

Thank You,
Miguel

0
shapper

1, dont think so
2, yes
3, yes
0
andrew_K

does anyone know for sure if i can still create ASP.NET 1.1 web sites and preview them in Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition.

I need to be sure before I change from Web Matrix to Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition.

Thanks,
Miguel

0
shapper
6/9/2005 1:15:15 AM
No, you can't. Every version of VS matches particular version of .NET framework. VS 2005 works with 2.0 only. VWD has no ability to switch target frameworks so you won't be able to say 'make this site 1.1'.

In reality, it all depends on what you are planning to do. You can create a web page that only contains controls that are available in both 1.1 and 2.0. In this case page will work in both 1.1 and 2.0 Web sites.

Technically speaking, you do can open 1.1 page in VWD and since 2.0 is backward compatible, you will get intellisense and full designer support. However, remember that VWD itself is running on 2.0, so all intellisense and toolbox elements will be matching 2.0 and you can accidentally user feature that is only available in 2.0 and won't find the mistake until you run the page on 1.1 server.

The scenario is not officially supported, so if you want to use VWD to edit 1.1 pages, you will be on your own (not much different from Matrix though :-))

I personally used VWD Beta 1 to design and code my personal ASP.NET 1.1 site. However, it is just a simple personal site. See http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2004/07/27/199312.aspx

Mikhail

Web resources about - Getting Started with Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition #2 - asp.net.web-dev-2005-express

Dungeons and developers
Have you ever wanted to learn web development or just refine your webdev skills? Dungeons and Developers gives your quest for knowledge a role ...

Video game developer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A video game developer is a software developer (a business or an individual) that creates video games . A developer may specialize in a certain ...

Tribunal rules that developer Michael Koundouris should fix Manhatten apartment building
Michael Koundouris says he will appeal a decision regarding a leaky apartment building. Canberra developer Michael Koundouris has lost his case ...

Epic Games Launches Unreal Match 3 to Help Developers Make Games
... 4 (UE4). While the game is available for users to play as a traditional game, it was built to be a learning resource to help aspiring developers ...

Oculus shipping final Rift hardware to developers starting this week
... release last night, Facebook-owned Oculus announced that it will begin shipping final, complete versions of its Oculus Rift VR headset to developers ...

Survey reveals managers and developers split on real time data analysis
... to the results of a new survey, 84 percent of CIOs believe their organization can analyze data in real-time, however, only 42 percent of developers ...

App developers give brutally honest answers about why they pick iOS over Android
... they come to Android . We've written a lot about the reasons for this in the past but now The Next Web has given five popular mobile app developers ...

Tencent Holdings Takes Full Control of 'League of Legends' Developer Riot Games
Breitbart News Tencent Holdings Takes Full Control of 'League of Legends' Developer Riot Games Breitbart News Riot Games, the creators of ...

Major app developers are bringing their apps to the Windows phone
Microsoft's plan to get apps onto phones that runs Windows seems to be working as more and more developers are bringing their apps to the platform. ...

Indian Solar Power Developer Azure Power Files For NYSE Listing
One of India’s leading solar power project developers, Azure Power, is looking at equity markets to raise funds to expand generation capacity. ...