Error when running asp.net configuration

Hi All,

When I go to web Site/asp.net configuration I get the following error message.  Thanks in advance.  Bob

An error was encountered. Please return to the previous page and try again.

The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: A configuration file cannot be created for the requested Configuration object. at System.Configuration.MgmtConfigurationRecord.SaveAs(String filename, ConfigurationSaveMode saveMode, Boolean forceUpdateAll) at System.Configuration.Configuration.SaveAsImpl(String filename, ConfigurationSaveMode saveMode, Boolean forceSaveAll) at System.Configuration.Configuration.Save(ConfigurationSaveMode saveMode) at System.Web.Administration.WebAdminPage.SaveConfig(Configuration config) at System.Web.Administration.WebAdminPage.VerifyAppValid()

0
bob_m

Hey Bob,

ASP.Net runs under the ASPNET user. In order to write the web.config file (which it always makes the first time you call the admin tool), it has to have the proper rights to write the file. Can you check if these rights are correct on your machine?

If this user does not exist , run: C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe

good luck,

Owin

0
owingruters
4/19/2006 3:19:51 PM
thanks Owin,  I will check tonight.  Bob
0
bob_m
4/19/2006 8:17:19 PM

Ok Owin,

I finally got back to this,  I added the ASPNET user to the administrator group.  I still get the same error.  Does SQL server express need to be installed for this to work?  Thanks  Bob

0
bob_m
4/25/2006 2:50:02 AM

Hmmm..strange.

SQL has nothing to do with it.

You did register the ASONET user as described?
Otherwise , maybe it's not the ASPNET user trying to save the config file. Try giving 'Everyone' access to the right folder

Owin

0
owingruters
4/25/2006 6:46:32 AM

Owin,

This is really strange.  I do have Delphi 2006 installed on my machine if that gives you a clue.  What should I use as a command line for aspnet_regiis?  What is the correct folder, this is new to me so I don't even know what the asp.configuration file is trying to access.  I thought it would be the web.config file.

Thanks  Bob

0
bob_m
4/25/2006 10:36:00 AM

You are right...it is the web.config fle.
Because you are running your app, VS want to create theweb.onfig, but seems to have no rights.

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

There you'll find aspnet_regiis

0
owingruters
4/25/2006 12:22:51 PM

Ok I figured this out.  Hmmm should I spill the beans?  The problem is in the Path.  My path included an "&".  C:\Documents and Settings\Lisa&Rob\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites.  VWD does not like the "&" in the path.  Even if you move the site to c:\web&sites\ you will still have the problem.  c:\websites works perfect.

Now if I can just get these applications to run quickly when I move them to my IIS server.

Hope this helps other folks.

Bob

0
bob_m
4/25/2006 12:40:24 PM

Hope my post is not too late... I also had the same problem and found out that not only '&' but also other characters such as '#' in the path of my projects can created such a problem. To solve it, make sure your project is saved in a path without these characters.

Jinzi

0
jinzimao
1/4/2007 7:23:01 AM

thanks a lot

i had also the same issue and Ur solution make things clear

0
narender
3/16/2009 5:44:55 AM

Is there a way to detect the correct virtual path of my appliaction since it is being hosted on an isp IIS server?

Thanks. sterrish.
0
sterrish

Runtime error has occured while running the web page in .net 2005
Hi,    while i was tried to run a web page in .net 2005 it gave the error message "Cannot connect to the configuration database." in the browser. can any one help me to solve this problem. Thanx in advance vidya Hi Vidya, Can you provide more info on what page you were running and what kind of the configuration your web has? Thanks Wendy Web and Platform Tools     Hi   we r using Windows 2003 Server operating system. IIS 6.0,ASP.NET 2.0. I opened VS.NET and click on new project and select website.i placed some controls on that page and i run that...

VS.NET 2005 & Visual Web Developer 2005 Express
I'm currently working on VWD using C#, and i'm planning to study MCTS, so i'm wondering if there's major differences between both in Web field.Thank you aloti need a creative atmosphere Not for what you're doing.JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of user-defined routine or aggregate -While creating a SQL SERVER 2005 Stored prodecure in VS.NET 2005
 Running [dbo].[insertlogin] ( @log = hiten, @pas = hiten ).A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of user-defined routine or aggregate "insertlogin": System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Must declare the scalar variable "@Log".System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException:    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionSmi.EventSink.Pro...

VS.NET 2002 not with VS.NET 2005 Express Edition
Hi! I installed the VS.NET 2005 Express Edition, on VS.NET 2002 machine and my VS.NET 2002 is stop working, unable to recognize the projects, start compiling the VS.NET 2002 projects first in .NET 2.0 then it wont' recognize a bit. Take Care, MudassirMudassir AzeemiSan Francisco, CAWeb: http://www.BonGeek.comBlog: http://blog.BonGeek.com If you're talking about Web Applications, this is because VWD has set IIS to use the 2.0 Framework by default (which it sounds like you know). You can set the framework default with the command "aspnet_regiis -i -enable" - run it from th...

Will DW.Net work with VS.Net 2005 Express ?
Will it work with .Net 2005 Express or do I need the full versions? Somebody asked this question on 1/3/06 and it went unanswered. Thanks, Roland But AFAIk in the beta NG Dave answered it ;) The problem is that during the setup it won't be registered in the IDE, but one can add it by hand, this should do the trick. On 20 Feb 2006 07:31:41 -0800, in sybase.public.datawindow.net Roland Smith <topwiz@adelphia.net> wrote: >Will it work with .Net 2005 Express or do I need the full versions? > >Somebody asked this question on 1/3/06 and it went unanswered. ...

Visual Web Dev 2005 Express & SQL 2005 Express
Last week I downloaded and installed Vis Web Dev Express 2005 and have it running absolutely fine.  2 days later I downloaded the most recent SQL Server Express but when I try to install it, I get a message saying it has "detected incompatible beta components fromVisual Studio or SQL Server" and that I must "run the build clean up wizard from the cd."  Since I downloaded both parts I dont have a cd.  I dont particularly want to uninstall webdev express because the download was so slow the first time and it doesn't leave an install file for reinstallation.  What's my best ...

I have a web site in vb.net 2003 that I what to convert to vb.net 2005. I open my web site in the visual studio 2005 by Local IIS option. I follow the steps of the visual studio conversion wizard.In the conversion report I received the following warning 'Referencepath' settings have not been converted.  Can anyone tell what I have to do to make this warning disappear? Best regards,Sérgio 'Referencepath'  is a property you can set with with VS2003 project file, sothat when ever you to do Add reference this path is serached for class libraries.  We do not  have that ...

VS Web Dev Express Ed. Can't run a simple Hello World Web Site. I need help on fixing this error.
Hello everyone, I'm not sure if I posted on a right topic but I'm new to Visual Studio and want to learn to use Visual Studio Web Developer 2008 Express Edition.  Please correct me and direct me to where I should ask for help regarding these matters.I was just trying to simply make a 'Hello World' Website .. Just THAT on my website. A simple Website for me to start learning. Just showing those text on the website. But when I tried to run (debug) the program. This error shows on my browser both on firefox and explorer8... 'Firefox can't establish a connection...

ODP.NET with Visual Web Dev Express?
Hi, Does the odp.net for oracle work with Visual Web Dev Express or do you need VS 2005 full version?  I get the following error in VWD when i add the reference to the Oracle.Data Assembly files.   Could not load file or assembly 'Oracle.DataAccess'.............. Failed to grant minimum permission requests. Also when installing the ODP i got the following:  The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL Why don't you want to use the built-in OracleClient provided with Visual Web Developer? ...

simple web application created in VB.net(VS.Net) will not run
I tried to run the ASP.net samples created by VB.net. But it doesn't run successfully. For example, I copied VB project folder at C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\VB\Project. From the web browser I typed http://localhost/VB/Project/Project.aspx Only the text for some LabelControls showed up, not the content Text generated by project.aspx.vb. Does that mean that I didn't set the IIS and ASP.net correct? Can you post the source code for your application. This may make it easier to debug what is going on. Thanks. Glen Kowalski Software Design Engineer / Test Microsoft Corporation This posti...

HELP Running a web-site with .NET 2.0 and NET 1.1
Hi evreybody,  I have a HUGE problem. I running a website that I have just created with ASP .NET 2.0 technology, well within my web site there is an web application that needs to run under V1.1. I'm using IIS 6.0 and I was wondering to see if anybody can help me run my new site, and run that web app at the same time. Basically is two sites within one web directory, the way you acces both sites is by the same link, just one is ROOT/default aspx (V2.0) and the other is Root/webapp/default.aspx (v1.1) can anybody help me... :( THANK you you will have to define them as two separate w...

Web resources about - Error when running asp.net configuration - asp.net.web-dev-2005-express

Configuration management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The CM process is widely used by military engineering organizations to manage complex systems , such as weapon systems, vehicles, and information ...

Facebook Taps Opscode Private Chef For Configuration, Management Of Servers
How does Facebook manage its ever-growing plethora of servers , configurations, administrative access policies, and the other tasks that go along ...

Safe Gadget - Secure Your Computer and Smartphones with Easy to Follow Security Configuration Tips on ...
Get Safe Gadget - Secure Your Computer and Smartphones with Easy to Follow Security Configuration Tips on the App Store. See screenshots and ...

The Promise of System Configuration - YouTube
Google Tech Talks November 5, 2008 ABSTRACT In 1993 cfengine was one of the first open source configuration management systems for Unix, and ...

IBM: The PC is the new mainframe - Apple, Configuration / maintenance, Data Center, hardware systems ...
"The PC is dead!" We've heard that message a lot since the birth of Apple's iPad, but when one of the creators of IBM's first PC added his voice ...

Cloud BI vendor Birst bags $38 million in venture funding - SaaS, Configuration / maintenance, Birst ...
Birst, a San Francisco company that offers cloud-based business intelligence services, has scored a US$38 million venture investment led by existing ...

EMC teams with Avaya (not Cisco) on communication pods - unified communications, Configuration / maintenance ...
Two stalwarts in the enterprise IT market joined forces today to release a unified communications stack that integrates hardware from EMC, virtualization ...

Top tech companies plug into renewable power - Configuration / maintenance, Google, Microsoft, Networking ...
Leading tech companies like Microsoft, Google and Apple are making huge inroads in the use of renewable energy for corporate facilities and data ...

New 15-inch 2.5 GHz MacBook Pro unboxed and compared to other 2015 configurations
Apple’s new 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display is here and available in a few different configurations. We’re take a closer look at the ...

Qualcomm Announces Snapdragon 820 Modem Configuration
... program. While we have some information about various bits and pieces of Snapdragon 820, the real points of interest like the exact CPU configuration, ...