Authorizing an authenticated User to update Access database

I have a simple Access database residing in the App_Data folder to hold basic site admin data (page hits, Last_Update date etc). I have a simple Login page for a single Admin user (me) to log in to a Secret.aspx page to display the table data for edits. This page is located in an Admin_Files folder which contains a separate Web.config file with standard deny users="?" authorization. The root Web.config has Authenticate Mode Forms and credentials for one Admin user.  All this is standard and works fine on my local network server. I can sign in, view and edit/add records because I am the admin by default. When uploaded to my public host it all works fine as far as viewing the data tables but raises an error when trying to update or add because db permissions are not set for updates. All this is understandable.  My question is - how and where do I include code to give permission to the already authorized Admin user who is viewing the table to edit the table? It seems like it should be simple. My Access DB was built without security settings so why the problem? There are several threads on Access db permissions that are similar but all seem to refer to local databases where it is simply a matter of changing local folder permissions not remote host folders.  Can this only be done by building the Access DB with some special type of permission before it is uploaded?

Thanks for any help

0
navenby

answer is easy, contact your public host and ask write permission for that directory. I had the same problem and then I get write permission on that directory and I was able add and edit a database
Stefan Groenen
Lommel, Belgium
www.stefagro.eu
0
sgroenen
5/2/2007 6:24:16 PM

Thanks for replying.

Yes, I understand your solution and my host does provide a 'Data' folder but the question is a little more complex.  Having to ask the hosting service to set write permissions implies that every folder I include in a project is automatically tagged as read-only when uploaded. Is that typically the case?  I should be able to code to allow permissions to folders and files within my project without asking the host. The Help files do discuss some relevant topics such as modifying the Connection string for OLE DB but it is not very clear. I need a pointer for where to look at this in more detail.

0
navenby
5/3/2007 8:18:33 AM
that's only possible if you're administrator of that server and because it's a public hosting only they can set permissions on files and folders, not you. If you have a host at your home you can say with ASP where people have access and also permission with group policy but now only your provider can do that
Stefan Groenen
Lommel, Belgium
www.stefagro.eu
0
sgroenen
5/3/2007 2:55:22 PM

Hi navenby,

Based on my experience, I guess the issue is due to asp.net process lack of write permission of the Data folder.

The asp.net process by default runs under “ASPNET” account (for IIS 5) or “Network Service” account (for IIS 6), they are less-privileged accounts which cannot write the folder by default.

To clarify this issue we can add a web page in your project to dynamically create a txt file in the Data folder. Then upload the page to the host and view it. I think the txt file cannot be created due to the write permission issue. Then you can contact the host to assign write permission to Data folder for asp.net account.

Sincerely,
Benson Yu
Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
0
Benson

move database from web dev express to SQL 2005 or SQL Express
I'm guessing something like this has been posted before, but I'm having trouble finding excatly what I'm looking for.  Here's the situation. I am building a site based on the club starter kit.  The database appears to be part of the web project.  I've modified some of the tables so it's not the original club database anymore. I would like to move this database to SQL Express (i.e. the database will appear in my SQL Server Mgmt. Studio) and I would also like to try to move it to SQL 2005.  I don't have a host yet, so I think being able to move it to either product would ...

Visual Web Dev Express 2008 and SQL server Express 2005 database connection problem
Apologies if this has already been covered, i can't find any search function on the forum. I have a somewhat annoying problem with the above software. I use Vista Home Premium x64 and have decided to install VWD 2008 and SQL2005 to learn ASP and SQL development. I only have a moderate undertanding of standard HTML and would like to expand my knowledge.  It is the final non-beta version of VWD 2008. The install went fine and no errors were shown. After trying to connect to the database via the ASP.NET application tool in VWD it gives an "unable to connect to the database ...

Visual Web Dev 2005 Express & SQL 2005 Express
Last week I downloaded and installed Vis Web Dev Express 2005 and have it running absolutely fine.  2 days later I downloaded the most recent SQL Server Express but when I try to install it, I get a message saying it has "detected incompatible beta components fromVisual Studio or SQL Server" and that I must "run the build clean up wizard from the cd."  Since I downloaded both parts I dont have a cd.  I dont particularly want to uninstall webdev express because the download was so slow the first time and it doesn't leave an install file for reinstallation.  What's my best ...

How to lock the database for any user access during database update
Hello, I want to make significant changes to my database. During the time of the updates I want to be sure that no user can log on to the database. Does anybody know how I can achieve this ? Best regards Ulrich Reinbeck Avista Software / Germany reinbeck@avista-erp.com Shut down the database server, start up the database on the stand alone engine and make the modifications on your local machine. Only your local machine will be able to connect to the database when you start the database on the standalone engine. -- Reg Domaratzki Sybase iAnywhere Solutions Pleas...

If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly?
If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly? Thanks! Hi asdpai, I am not sure if I catch your meaning.But if you want to upgrade the SQL Server 2005 Express to SQL Server 2008 Express, you may refer to the following link: Version and Edition Upgradeshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspxHow to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2008 (Setup)http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144267.aspxJian KangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to mark the replies as answers if t...

Accessing web service (that accesses a database in windows authentication mode)
Hi, We have a situation where we created a web service on one of the servers. This web service accesses a SQL Server database in 'windows authentication' mode. When we access the web service from within the server, it works fine but when we try to acess the web service from within the LAN or outside, it is failing to access the database. We are using IIS 5.0.  Please let us know if we have to make any setting changes for this to work. Thanks RS   sb_rs:This web service accesses a SQL Server database in 'windows authentication' mode. When we access the web se...

Web Matrix vs Vis Web Dev 2005 Express
Hi - i'm looking to upsize MS Access DBs to SQL Server and also migrate to web vs LAN- Yesterday downloaded SQL Server 2005 express and Vis web Debveloper Express as learning tools (haven't yet installed) Today ran across Web Matrix - which appears to be for earlier versions of .Net Are Matrix and Web Developer express similar? Can someone fill me in - which should i be learning? thanks  Just to make sure you're clear, Web Matrix is for ASP.NET 1.1 and VWD is for ASP.NET 2.0.While Web Matrix met a need, Visual Web Developer is by far the superior tool.  If you have the op...

VS.NET 2005 & Visual Web Developer 2005 Express
I'm currently working on VWD using C#, and i'm planning to study MCTS, so i'm wondering if there's major differences between both in Web field.Thank you aloti need a creative atmosphere Not for what you're doing.JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

visual web developer 2005 database cant access database now!!!
I downloaded vwd 2008 and vb2008 amd sql server 2008 and now i cant access the database in my wdv 2005 i get this  This Server version is not supported. You must have microsoft Sql Server 2005 Beta 2 or later What do I need to do to get my vwd 2005 working  ...

VWD 2005 Express + SQL Server 2005 installed. Please help me to access Northwind Database.
I have installed VWD 2005 Express + SQL Server 2005 onto my machine. I am running Windows XP Pro and I am the administrator. I am following Microsoft's tutorials and have reached the point where I am asked to connect to the Northwind Database. I have an Access version of this database (.mdb) but I believe it's better to do it the "proper" way and access it through an SQL Server environment (I'd like to do it this way anyway). As you can probably guess, I am rather a novice so please give clear instructions. Many thanks indeed for any help, GrahamVWGolfman grahamget the database from ...

How to create a database in the sql express with Viaual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2
How to create a database in the sql express with Viaual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2?我怎么样在Viaual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2使用 sql express建立数据库?Help! SQL Express must be installed.1) Make sure there is an App_Data folder at the root of the Web site.2) In Solution Explorer, right-click App_Data and choose Add New Item.3) In the Add New Item dialog box, choose SQL Database and give it a name.4) Click OK.5) Switch to Database Explorer window.6) Double-click new database to expand it.7) Right click Tables and then choose Add New Table.8) Define column properties and ...

How to Create a Simple Web Form for Go Daddy hosted site from Visual Web Dev 2005 Express Edition
I have spent all weekend trying to make my simple form mail WORK.  And now, much forum hunting and Go Daddy calling later, I want to post what I have learned, hoping to save another newbie a loooooong weekend.  So here goes:1) If you don't have one already, create an e-mail account at Go Daddy.  It will take about 15 minutes to become active.  Write down your user id and password, then forge ahead with the rest of this.  It will take you less than an hour, depending on how detailed your form is.2) Create your form in MS VWD 2005 X ed using the Wizard tool...

How to Authenticate and Authorize Users in Web Application
Hello, I need to Authenticate (Active Directory) and Authorize Users based on Application Roles within SQL 2005.  As I am cutting my teeth on Application Roles, assistance is greatly appreciated in getting my application up and working.  When I run the page I get the following error message: Cannot open database "ADatabase" requested by the login. The login failed.  Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\UserName'.  This is what I have. SQL Database 2005Application Role Names Read Super Admin  Logins/Groups (Active Directory) AllUsers AllSupe...

Web resources about - Authorizing an authenticated User to update Access database - asp.net.web-dev-2005-express

Authenticated encryption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Authenticated Encryption ( AE ) or Authenticated Encryption with Associated Data ( AEAD ) is a block cipher mode of operation which simultaneously ...

Google Spam Report (Authenticated) - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
When you are logged into Google Webmaster Central, you can report any site that is spamming the SERPs through this tool. Post at Does Google ...

Authenticated electricity: Sony power outlets will charge you for charging
Sony is building a new kind of power outlet that raises a not entirely pleasant prospect—in the future, plugging a phone into a public wall socket ...

MLB Authenticated Game-Used Base Bar Stool
Like. From The Green Head: "If you love America's favorite pastime, now you can sit on an actual piece of it. These unique collectible bar stools ...

C-SPAN Moving to Authenticated TV Ch. Streaming
C-SPAN is launching a beta test of its migration of live online feeds of its TV channels—C-SPAN 1,2,3—to an authentication model starting Monday, ...

FDA "Corruption" Letter Authenticated: Lawyers, Start Your Engines!
The FDA's official recognition of the letter means that lawyers who want to use it to demonstrate that the FDA isn't perfect won't have to go ...

Buddy Rich's Authenticated and Complete 1960s Zildjian Cymbal Set Available on eBay for $29,995
Buddy Rich's complete 1960s Zildjian cymbal set is available for purchase on eBay. In the massive world of the Internet, anything is apparently ...

FileVault's authenticated restart has hardware requirements
If you use FileVault and wish to restart remotely, you can do so with the 'fdesetup' command; however, this does have some hardware limitations. ...

BREAKING: Michael Brown Audio Aired By CNN Authenticated
Video messaging service Glide has confirmed to the Washington Post the exact time and date the audio recording with gunshot sounds on it was ...

Sheriff: Brenham vet can't be charged with killing cat unless Facebook photo is authenticated
As a team investigated the image, the clinic where Kristen Lindsey worked said Friday that she'd been fired and condemned her post "in the strongest ...