Web.Config parsing error in Web App Projects with IIS

Has the Schema of the Web.Config changed in Web App Projects?  After converting my 2005 Web Site project to a 2005 WAP,
and switching to IIS Web Server, I am getting a number of errors at run time in my web.config files starting with:
Unrecognized attribute 'type'.
This error occurs when parsing the web.config file where first highlighted below.  I do not see the referenced type in the GAC (System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsGroup), should it be there?  System.Configuration and System.Configuration.Install
is referenced by the project.  If I remove the type parameter and value, I get the error:
Unrecognized attribute 'requirePermision'.
It appears 'requirePermision' parameter is no longer used, so when I remove it, I get an error with ConectionStrings section!!
Unrecognized configuration section 'connectionStrings'

I am including the part of the config file that appears to be causing the error, modified only to hide connection string passwords etc.
This error does not seem to occur when using Development Server.  BTW I followed the steps provided by Scott Guthrie to
convert from WSP to WAP.

Thanks, David

<configuration>
  <configSections>
    <section name="exceptionManagement" type="Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ExceptionManagement.ExceptionManagerSectionHandler,Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ExceptionManagement,Version=1.3.0.0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=2e54ea205fb017a3"/>
    <sectionGroup name="applicationSettings" type="System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsGroup, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" >
      <section name="SponsorWeb.My.MySettings" type="System.Configuration.ClientSettingsSection, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" requirePermission="false" />
    </sectionGroup>
  </configSections>
  <connectionStrings>
<clear/> <add name="ABC" connectionString="data source=(local);initial catalog=ABC;user id=NotReal;password=NotReal;persist security info=True;pooling=true"/> </connectionStrings> .... </configuration>

David Williams MCP
.Net Senior Developer
0
dwilliams459

Opps, It looks like the IIS Directories were set to .Net 1.1.
Thanks, David

David Williams MCP
.Net Senior Developer
0
dwilliams459

VS 2005 SP1 + .NET AJAX => automatically adds web.config in nested Web Application Project when opening project or solution
I get a 'Configuration Error' on an aspx page because VS added automatically a web.config to my nested Web Application Project where no web.config file should be. This effect I have noticed since I have installed SP1 and .NET AJAX Extensions. Why is VS 2005 adding the web.config file and how can I disable this behavior? Following is the content of the automatically added web.config file (comments omitted): <?xml version="1.0"?><configuration>    <appSettings/>    <connectionStrings/>    <system.web> &...

Web Deployment Project / Setup Project and editable web.config
I'm working on an installer for a website. The Installer will prompt the user for the web settings such as as various AppSettings. How would you recommend implementing this? Below I describe my initial thoughts but they seem over complicated !!!! My first idea is to created the Web Deployment Project and create a web.config section overwrite file, and then using it in the usual manner to overwrite the web.config appSettings section at installation time.Property Pages->Deployment section to "appsettings=appsettings.config"Then to make this appsettings.config file editable by a Custom ...

Error when Deploying and Signing Web Application project with Web Deployment project
I have a Web Application project that needs to be deployed and signed using Web Deployment projects. When I delete the global.ascx file I'm able to do the deployment and sign the output assembly. The error I'm getting without signing the assemblies is "An error occurred when merging assemblies: ILMerge.Merge: The target assembly 'HelloWorld' lists itself as an external reference.” .  Global.ascx or .asax? The usual cause of a signing error is when a reference is not signed.  Is the global.asax.cs or .vb marked as conte...

General design error in web deployment projects for web site projects?
  When you create a Web Site Project in VS2008 and add a Web Deployment Project you can choose to create a single output assembly and leave the aspx and ascx files updateable. In this scenario you can deploy your unfinished Web Site to a Webdesigner that modifies the layout. The problem now is, to get those files back in the source tree. As the web deployment project removes the CodeFile attribute of such files I need to readd it manually or write a program that does this step for me. Is my scenario so uncommon and why or am I missing a point? I don't want to give my ...

Problem when deploying Web Application project over VS2005 Web Site project
Hi,  we ran into this issue yesterday evening when we were trying to deploy new code on production box. It was running previous version of our app that was VS 2005 Web Site project, but the new version was migrated into Web App project. New build was tested on sandbox and even on the same production machine (but under different, non public web site configured there) and was working fine. However, when we deployed on production web site, we got this error:Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ProfileCommon' could not be found (are you missing a using directi...

Web project error when trying to open a .net project
I am very new to this & drowning. I created a very simple web project with the ext of .vbproj. If I double clik on it I go into visual studio with no problem BUT if I try and open another project also with .vbproj extension I get the message that it's a web project & that I need to open using it's URL path. File, open project gives me the same message & if I try File, open web project - even tho it's looking for files of type *.vbproj - it does not see the file. How do I open it & how was it created?...

Web Application Projects vs. Web Site Project- Where is Copy Project?
I have opted to use the Web App Project in 2005 (The 2003 Model)http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336618.aspxWhy is the copy project missing when this model is used? It was there in 2003?Thank you,Patrick http://www.SURFThru.com   SURFThru.com I wanted to bump this topic again to see if any Microsoft techs had any input on this item.SURFThru.com...

Web apps without Web Projects
For the 1.1 web application we work with, we've converted the Web Project to a normalclass library project, per the instructions found here:http://pluralsight.com/wiki/default.aspx/Fritz/AspNetWithoutWebProjects.html.. immediate reason was that VS2003 has a bug which can't deal with Subversion's .svn directories on a Web Project.Now, we're really, really trying to push a 2.0 conversion into the near future, but are being frustratedby the fact that VS2005 seems to make it harder, not easier, to have a web site that is not a magicalWeb Project.After tweaking what feels like several thousand pa...

web app vs web site vs web project
Could someone describe the differences between web sites, web apps and web projects? (or send me a link that contains this comparison?). Is one of these terms synonomous with another? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?  How does one choose when starting new development? Can one type be converted into another?     Thank you. Here is my definition: Website: perspective of users. Collection of web pages.Webapp and project: perspective of developer (and webmasters). Collection of web pages and resouces (database, code, etc.). Maybe software installers...

2.0 project
I just set up a 2.0 project - I am used to 1.1 and am still getting the hang of 2.0. I would like to run it using my local IIS. That is working ok except for my old pages that I copied over (I just copied old 1.1 html into new aspx pages) - the image tags and hyperlinks are one level "off". I do not want to change any of that b/c everything is set the way I need it for the live site. The way I fixed that (for my local development) is to go into my local IIS and set the default site. I changed it from c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\MyProject. So I can now type ...

Web Site Project or Web Application Project?
Hi all, I have a situation here.  My team's project has window and web clients, and we used Team System to control Source Code. We have a contract company that develop the generated codes for some of the web pages that being used in the web client.  They built it using Web Site Project.  We still need to develop some other web pages that has different functionalities than the code generator and one of our team member created a project which is a Web Application Project.  Now, the code generator doesn't work because it won't compile in our Web Application Pro...

Web Application Projects with Web Deployment Projects...
Hi there,  Does anyone have any experience in using the Web Deployment Project pieces to deploy Web Application style projects (rather than the web site projects model)? We have a rather larger eCommerce site that uses WAP model (it was originally a website model, but we ran into so many problems with compile times, temp .dll file lockups at compile etc that we moved it to WAP a long time ago). What's strange is that the project compiles fine normally when we're not using the Web Deployment Project and everything is fine. However, the second we hook the WDP stuff up, we'r...

Web Deployment Project with Web Application Project
I currently have a working Solution that contains 3 VB class library projects and one Web Application Project and it is working fine. I would like to use the web.config replacement functionality from the Web Deployment Projects. I add a Web Deployment project and keep the defaults, and the build is broken. Whenever I try to build, I get the following error: error ASPPARSE: Could not load type 'MyWebApp.Page1'. Done building project "MyWebApp.vbproj_deploy.wdproj" -- FAILED. I have searched on this and found some information, but it doesn't seem to help. I&#...

Web resources about - Web.Config parsing error in Web App Projects with IIS - asp.net.vs2005-webapp-projects

Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the urban low-income housing buildings called projects, see public housing . For other uses, see Project (disambiguation) . The word project ...

The Project Shrink - Welcome To Shrinkonia.
... about the importance of the environment we work in and the stories we tell, we should have a Set Designer and a Storyteller on our projects. ...

Better Projects
I think this book by Tobias is beautifully written. There is real craftmanship in the prose here. The book is made up of independent self contained ...

End of Tony Abbott's war on wind farms gives green light to Capital Region projects
PM's decision to lift controversial ban on government investment in wind power has been embraced by the region.

Paper by FiftyThree makes starting new projects easier with templates
... improves various aspects of its interface and functionality. Get started with templates With the new version of Paper, you can start new projects ...

Get up to 93 certifications in project management for $50
... going to need to add a page to your resume—this eduCBA tech certification bundle can help you get 93 different tech certifications in project ...

Top Tech Executives Pour $1 Billion in Project to Make Artificial Intelligence Safer
Artificial Intelligence taken up a notch through collective contributions from leading tech giants.

Trump's Face Pulled From Dubai Luxury Golf Course Project
An image of Donald Trump was taken down from a billboard advertising a golf course and luxury-housing development on the outskirts of Dubai as ...

Listeners Project films pay homage to abandoned U.K. structures - Videos - CBS News
A most unusual film series is unfolding in Britain called The Listeners Project. It allows young filmmakers to record the last moments of architectural ...

India’s Welspun Renewables Commissions 126 MW Wind Energy Project
Amidst market rumours of possible a stake sale, Welpsun Renewables announced that it has commissioned its largest wind energy project so far, ...