Difference between project types

What is the difference between ASP.NET Website and ASP.NET Web Application?
0
Slimfinger

The project form of a web
app
is similar to the previous version of

visual studio (VS2003) where everything is compiled into a DLL
assembly file. ASP.NET 1.1 could only support

"code behind" in this
manner, the alternative being script embedded in the .aspx files.

ASP.NET 2.0 allows code behind files (.cs files) to accompany
the .aspx in the deployed version, whereupon it is compiled "on the
fly" by the web server. The "web site" form of web application in
VS2005 works on the same principle. It has the advantage of being
simpler to deploy and update. In addition to the project folder it can
create a website folder in your documents area instead of using
inetpub/wwwroot (which may not have been installed anyway). In this
mode VS2005 runs its own web server software using a special port
number.

now this raises a question WHY???" Why would you want to compile something everytime you run
the web application, instead of compiling it and downloading the DLL?

well the answer cud be

The DLL file does not contain code that can be executed directly by
the Server processor

. It's an intermediate language that saves time
parsing the source code from scratch. Issues due to compiler version
differences might still arise.

However if you suspect that then try using the option of "publishing"
the web site which will create a DLL out of the .cs and other files.

also this artcile may be helpful to u

Please mark as answer if it helped u!
0
kavita_khandhadia
5/1/2009 8:04:49 AM

In short the website model is easier to work with but has less advanced features. All files in the folder are automatically included in your project.

0
rtpHarry
5/1/2009 8:06:17 AM
These two answers are very different.  Are both true?  Also, I thought the web app is the NEWER of the two.
0
Slimfinger

New Project type for VS2005
This is interesting: I'm facing a few issues with ASP.NET 2.0 and DNN 4.0 and how best to maintain two codelines and deploy source and non-source modules: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/12/07/432630.aspx This project type will be a bridge between the old and the new and make migration to the new compilation a lot easier I think. Rodney Try this link... http://webproject.scottgu.com/VisualBasic/Migration/Migration.aspx Hum... looks like there are now 3 ways to go instead of 2. Kind of v 5.0.0 in sight ?    www.dotnetnuke.fr No, for now, the core ...

Cannot load project type for Windows Workflow project types
Hi,I have Visual Studio 2008 Pro and before I got SP1 for .NET 3.5 and VS2K8, a workflow project would work fine. Then I installed the SP1, and when I load my solution (consisting of over 60 projects), a Windows Workflow project gives the following error: Cannot load project type (as a dialog box). .csproj files seem to be what the dialog box is complaining about (for every Workflow class library). How can I fix this? My solution is in .NET 3.5 Thanks Anyone? I made a thread on MSDN forums and was redirected to post here (which I had done...

Aspose.Project 1.2 Released!
Aspose.Project 1.2 Released! Version 1.2 Released on November 15 2004 ...

Aspose.Project 1.3 Released!
Aspose.Project 1.3 Released! Version 1.3 Released on January 24 2005 Aspose.Project is a .Net Project management component which enables you to read and write...

Updade to VS2005 SP1 causes existing WAP project file to become invalid. WAP project type not recognized
Hi, I just installed VS2005 SP1   VS2005_SP1_VS80sp1-KB926601-X86-ENU.exe  and now I can't open my existing Web Application Projects. I did uninstall the WAP add-on first. Error msg : "The project file 'C:\Alert TFS Workspaces\Development\...\MyWAPProject.vbproj' cannot be opened. The project type is not supported by this installation." Thanks, Andy   Hi,  That doesn't sound good.  I saw that you should remove the WAP add-in before doing the SP install, did you recall if you did that?  Does the Help>About list include Service Pack 1 ENU (kb96601...

how to tell the project type in .NET? Difference between web application & web site?
Hi, I wonder how can I tell the .NET project type if I got the solution code. Is there any configuration for the project type like: ASP.NET web application, ASP.NET web service application, windows application etc. And is the web site actually a web application project in .NET? Just not clear about the basic concept.   thanks, Hi, in ASP.NET 1.x (visual studio 2002 - 2003) they were real projects but that changed with the initial release of Visual studio 2005 when the concept of website came up. After a while, and quite a lot of asking, Microsoft released the web application pr...

What are these files: Project.ilc, Project.ild, Project.ilf, Project.ils
Hello there, I am using XE c++ builder. What are these files used for? They are in the same directory where the final output (.exe) is. Is there a way to `remove` them after - let`s say - successful compilation/linking? They are Incremental linker files. Turn off the option in your project Options if you do not want them. Larry "Tamas Csabina" wrote in message news:418738@forums.embarcadero.com... Hello there, I am using XE c++ builder. What are these files used for? They are in the same directory where the final output (.exe) is. Is there a way t...

Change project type of existing project?
Does anyone know how to change the project type of an existing project? I have web project I need to change to a Class Library project. (It's all part of this: http://www.tag-software.net/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=29). Thanks, ..jeconatus...

How different is a ReportsWebsite Project from a Website Project?
Also are there any special considerations in using .Net 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 projects for a project of type ReportsWebsite project?  jay...

CB2009 Update 3
I made a change to a unit in a Package in my Project Group. I did a make all ( and expected to have to do a Build on the .exe Project in the Project Group ). It appears that the .exe projects know that the unit in the package has changed and will now link the .exe ( like it used to in CB2007 ). I hope it remains consistant. One Happy Camper! Larry "Larry Griffiths" <lgriffiths@cox.net> wrote in message news:122554@forums.codegear.com... >I made a change to a unit in a Package in my Project Group. > I did a make all ( and expected to have to do a ...

Visual Studio 2005 Install Problem
Hi all, I have just rebuilt my XP machine and installed Visual Studio 2005. When trying to open previously created projects I get the following error message: The application for project <project> is not installed. Make sure the application for the project type () is installed. At this point I did some reading and googling and discovered that 'Web Application Projects' is not included in the base Visual Studio 2005 package. I installed Service Pack 1 (SP1) expecting this to fix the problem, however I still received the same error message when trying to open the application. ...

VS2005
I have brought a second programmer onto my website development team - both work remotely. The first programmer has been working on the project in VS2005 for nearly 2 years and has passed a copy of the source code to the second programmer and advised that it will only Build properly (ie without errors) if put together as a website project as opposed to a web application. The second programmer is also using VS2005 and has reported that Visual Studio doesn't give him the option of a website project template only web application or website deployment project. So he is using the website dep...

Adding C# project to VB.net project
Hi All    Is it Possible to add a ASP.net C# web application to a VB.net web application project.That is here we have the main project done in VB.net , is it possible to develop a leave tracking system in Asp.Net C# and add to the main project which is devloped in VB.NET. If Possible How to Add it. Will it create any kind of complications. We are using .net 03. Thanks in advance               Thanks and regards                      Biju You should create solution for all your VB.NET pro...

Why cannot use a project namespace in a web project in vs2005 ??
Windows Forms projects have a default project namespace option, so all the classes in a winfom project are in a common namespace.But I cannot find this options in a web project ! Classes in aspx and aspx.cs files cannot be included in a project namespace. I read that I can install a web application add-on. But when I install "WebApplicationProjectSetup.msi", It says I need istall "VS80-KB915364-X86-ENU.exe", but when I install "VS80-KB915364-X86-ENU.exe", it says cannot find program to update or the version is different!I use Chinese simplified language ver...

Web resources about - Difference between project types - asp.net.vs2005-webapp-projects

The West should let the Middle East settle its own differences
The bitter truth is there is no plausible way we can defeat jihadists with military force.

What exactly is a tomato? The difference between fruit and veg
If it's sweet it's a fruit and if it's savoury it's a vegetable, right?

'He thought he could make a difference': Silver Cross Mother shares son's story
Sheila Anderson is in Ottawa for Wednesday's Remembrance Day ceremonies at the National War Memorial, where she'll represent all grieving parents ...

6 Ways To Tell The Difference Between A Terrorist And A Refugee
If you are sitting at the table for five minutes and you can't spot the difference between the refugee and the terrorist, you are the terrorist. ...

Can the US and China transcend their differences?
Why Washington should embrace Beijing’s “new type of major-power relationship”

Mark Zuckerberg explains that the key difference between Facebook and Alphabet is that it 'can't fail' ...
In a long and wide ranging interview with Fast Company , Mark Zuckerberg has taken a swing at Alphabet, the parent company of Google, for its ...

Virtual reality in reality: The NY Times app makes a difference
I've just experienced my first true virtual reality story. And it's impressive. Let me be perfectly honest about this. I've tried out my share ...