VS.NET Detected Web Server Not Running 1.1?!

* Brand new laptop, Dell Inspiron 8500

* Brand new Win2k Server Installation (not from factory)
* Windows Update Completed
* VS.NET 2003 Ent Arch Installed, including pre-req's, docs, updates (which it found none)
* MS SQL 2000 DEV installed
* Copied a .NET 1.0 Web Application directory from old laptop to new. Set up IIS to point to it.
* Double-clicked .NET 1.0 Project, starts to open with VS.NET 2003
The following message is received:
Visual Sudio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET Web applications or services.
* Looking in WINNT, I find the correct 1.1 framework directory, as well as the 1.0 directory.
* Looking in IIS, I find ASP.NET_1.1.4322.573 in the ISAPI Filters for the WWW Service Master Properties.
* There are no ISAPI Filters in the sub-webs, but I figure they inherit from the Master anyway.
* RE-RAN the VS.NET 2003 Setup, and re-installed all Pre-Requisites.
* Windows Update shows no more updates requried.
* Tried creating a NEW Web Application in VS.NET 2003.
Same error, on all accounts.
*big sigh*
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Al
Al Bsharah

Jeepaholics Anonymous

http://www.jeepaholics.com
0
Jeepaholic

Hi Al,

Try going into your WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322 directory and try running the following from the command line:
aspnet_regiis -i
Does this get it to work?
John
0
johndund
7/31/2003 1:11:02 AM
Forgot to mention in my list above that I already did that per the help button provided.  No avail...  Any more thoughts?
Al Bsharah

Jeepaholics Anonymous

http://www.jeepaholics.com
0
Jeepaholic
7/31/2003 2:01:40 AM
A couple of questions:

1) Is IIS able to render asp.net web pages?
2) What does it tell you if you take the command prompt to the aforementioned directory and type: "aspnet_regiis -lv" or "aspnet_regiis -lk"
3) You mentioned that this happened when you opened an existing site. Do you get the same error if you create a new one?
Thanks,
John
0
johndund
7/31/2003 4:29:41 PM
THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED.  PLEASE RE-READ, if you read the previous version.  Thanks.

1)
Well, I've determined that it'll render an error page. For some reasson, I can't get my application to connect to SQL, even though it works fine with query analyzer. Regardless, I do get a v1.1.4322.573 error message stating SQL Server does not exist or access denied. So, I guess the answer is yes.
2)
-lv:
1.1.4322.0 Valid (Root) C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_isapi.dll
-lk:
W3SVC/ 1.1.4322.0
3)
I did also mention in my first email that I cannot create a new project either. Same error message...
Thanks for the help thus far, John. This one's really thworing me off schedule, and I appreciate your help!
Al Bsharah

Jeepaholics Anonymous

http://www.jeepaholics.com
0
Jeepaholic
7/31/2003 5:17:49 PM
I am going to take this info to some more people, as I myself haven't run into this.  It's really strange to me that you would be in the 1.1 directory and that it would say it's installing the 1.0 framework.

As one last question while I do some investigation, if you go into Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management, IIS, right click on Administration Web SIte and get properties, click on the ASP.NET tab, what version does it say it is running? I'm assuming it's 1.0... is 1.1 listed? If yes, if you change it, does it work?
Thanks,
John
0
johndund
7/31/2003 5:29:36 PM
PLEASE RE-READ MY ABOVE POST!  I'm an idiot, and got data from the wrong laptop (gotta love KVM's).  Sorry...

As for your 2nd request, I'm not sure I follow. There's no ASP.NET tab anywhere (Win2k Server, IIS5)
Al Bsharah

Jeepaholics Anonymous

http://www.jeepaholics.com
0
Jeepaholic
7/31/2003 5:34:08 PM
....and to further validate that web pages work, I got SQL connected and the site functions as expected.
Al Bsharah

Jeepaholics Anonymous

http://www.jeepaholics.com
0
Jeepaholic
7/31/2003 6:14:07 PM
OK... thanks for the info.

Sorry, I took had to edit my post as well, so you may not have seen the changes.
The ASP.NET tab should be when you get properties on your Default Web Site or on your Administration Web Site (not on IIS itself). I see one on my win2k server machine. Is it not there for you? It's not as relevant a question now that your KVM is set properly :), but still it's curious that it wouldn't be there.
I've contacted some people and will let you know when I learn something new.
John
0
johndund
7/31/2003 6:24:08 PM
That's odd, because NEITHER of my laptops (both Win2k Server / IIS5) have an ASP.NET tab in the Properties page of any web...  The tabs include:

Documents
Directory Security
HTTP Headers
Custom Errors
Web Site
Operators
Performance
ISAPI Filters
Home Directory
Nowhere within them is anything ASP.NET related, either... Thanks for the help!
Al Bsharah

Jeepaholics Anonymous

http://www.jeepaholics.com
0
Jeepaholic
7/31/2003 6:33:26 PM
OK... this isn't a problem after all.

I'm going to continue to try to throw you suggestions while I wait on more info...
You said you installed all pre-reqs... that includes FrontPage Server Extensions I'm assuming. And I'm also assuming you're running NTFS? So, I guess the question is: are you positive FPSE are installed and configured properly? You might try re-installing those.
0
johndund
7/31/2003 6:45:58 PM
Yup on FPSE, yup on NTFS.  Just did a "Check Server Extensions" on IIS, and it came up fine.  Still no luck.

I have already re-installed all the pre-requisites (through VS.NET Setup) after I realized things weren't right...that didn't work either.
Al Bsharah

Jeepaholics Anonymous

http://www.jeepaholics.com
0
Jeepaholic
7/31/2003 6:57:11 PM
Hi Al,

Thanks for your patience on this... I talked to many people and there wasn't much they could suggest beyond what I had. However, just sit tight a little longer... I'm working on getting you a case to debug this further. I will get back to you later in the day with details.
Thanks,
John
0
johndund
8/1/2003 4:24:25 PM
Thanks John...  I really appreciate your help in this.

I was half-tempted to start uninstalling everything and starting over, but if you're still working on this - I'll wait. Might prove something beneficial to others....
Thanks again!
Al Bsharah

Jeepaholics Anonymous

http://www.jeepaholics.com
0
Jeepaholic
8/1/2003 5:09:24 PM
Hi Al,

If you would, please email me your contact info at my username at microsoft dot com. We will take this offline and go from there.
Thanks,
John
0
johndund
8/1/2003 5:31:00 PM
Done...
Al Bsharah

Jeepaholics Anonymous

http://www.jeepaholics.com
0
Jeepaholic
8/1/2003 8:40:12 PM
Wanted to provide an update to anyone who may be having the same issues.  Thanks a TON to John for pushing this through.

Essentially, the issue is as follows:
In copying over my project directory, there is one file that needs to be changed before the system will react appropriately.
ProjectName.vbproject.webinfo
Within this, you need to make sure the URL is correct...OTHERWISE, you will get a somewhat misleading error message stating that .NET v1.1 is not installed on your system. The reality is, it just can't find a web there... .NET 1.1 is in fact installed. This error is what threw me into total disarray!
I was unaware of this file, and never bothered to look in it. Thankfully, this was a really easy fix.
The other problem in creating a NEW project was my own fault, as the web was not created correctly - and the system responded with the same .NET 1.1 is not installed error message.
So, in reality - it's everyone's fault! Haha. I feel the messages were misleading and pointed me in a wrong direction, but...the setup was incorrect on my part in some of the circumstances.
Again, I'd like to thank John for his persistance and Anand for making it all happen for me. A very positive experience, without question!
Al Bsharah

Jeepaholics Anonymous

http://www.jeepaholics.com
0