VS.NET 2003 stopped changing the "Modified" date for my project

Hi,

I have 2 projects that I work on using VS.NET 2003 Enterprise Edition. For some reason, one of those project's modified date is stuck. VS.NET is not changing it. What could be the problem?
Thanks,

Sam
0
SamU

Mine is doing the same thing.  Anybody have some ideas?  This has happend on both my work and home copies of VS.NET 2003.
0
cybrenergy
7/18/2003 6:04:14 PM
Is it possible you haven't made any changes to the project itself, by adding or removing project items, and so a save isn't warranted?  What happens if you explicitly save the project file (right-click on solution explorer node and select Save <projectname>?

Thanks,
Tania
Tania

ASP.NET Team

taniam
7/18/2003 11:08:09 PM
Hi Tania,

I've been working on my project for a week. I must have created a dozen new objects -- not even counting the modifications I made.
It might have something to do with having both v 2002 and 2003 on the same computer. This started happening after I upgraded my VS.NET to 2003 and I noticed that default installation will install v 2003 in a seperate folder so that you still have v 2002 if you still needed it.
Thanks,

Sam
0
SamU
7/21/2003 1:13:26 PM
What happens if you explicitly save the project file (right-click on solution explorer node and select Save <projectname>?

-Tania
Tania

ASP.NET Team

taniam
7/26/2003 1:32:46 AM
Tania,

Even if I save it the way you described it, the date does not get updated.
Thanks,

Sam
0
SamU
7/28/2003 1:52:08 PM
This is very puzzling...

So, if you open up an existing project, add some new files, save, and shutdown, the project file timestamp does not get updated. When you re-open the project, are the files you opened included in the project? Also, are you using any source code control product?
-Tania
Tania

ASP.NET Team

taniam
7/29/2003 12:21:45 AM
Hi Tania,

It is puzzling. I don't use any other source control products.
I open up the project, create new files -- both aspx and cs -- then make a bunch of modifications on existing files then I save and build my project then exit it and close VS.NET.
When I start VS.NET again, the modification date is still the old date and all my files are there.
Like I mentioned before, do you think this has anything to do with me having both VS.NET 2002 and 2003 on the same machine. Like I said, it started after I upgraded VS.NET 2002 to 2003.
Thanks,

Sam
0
SamU
7/29/2003 1:23:03 PM
Yes, what's strange is that if the new files added to the project are included, then the project file is being updated.  You are looking at the project file, right?  The .csproj or .vbproj, not the .sln (solution file that only changes if you add or remove project from the solution) or the .suo (contain user setting info for the solution).

If you're willing to do a little more investigation, I would be interested to know:
1. Does this happen with all project files (.vbproj, .csproj, client applications, etc).
2. What about if you make a project change like adding a reference? Is the project file updated then? Is the reference still there if you close and re-open the project?
3. Is the web you are deveoping on the development machine or on another server?
In the meantime, I'll see if there are any bugs entered about this and also see if I can repro it here.
-Tania
Tania

ASP.NET Team

taniam
7/29/2003 6:37:47 PM
Let me answer your questions first then I'll tell you about another strange behavior.

1. I only develop C# Web applications so I'm not sure if it happens with all projects. I wanted to create a PocketPC app just to see what would happen but VS.NET kept trying to put it on the web server I always work on. When I tried to point it to my Visual Studio Projects folder in My Documents, I was not able to create the project because the OK button was grayed out.
2. I added a new reference to the project, saved it then exited the solution before closing VS.NET. When I fired up VS.NET again, the date was again unchanged but the reference that I had added was there.
3. The web app I'm developing is on a remote web server. So I'm not working on the project locally and it's always been that way.
Now, here's what I discovered recently. I wanted to create a new web app. Again, this site will reside on the same remote web server. When I say remote, it's still within our network. So I tell it to create a new C# web app for me and I point it to the server. It did everything it was supposed to do just fine. Then I gracefully close the solution and exit out of VS.NET and fire it back up. There was no reference to the project I had just created.
So I decided to go back into the Visual Studio Projects folder in My Documents folder. Sure enough, the folder for the new project was in there with the solution file and everything.
I go back into VS.NET and this time I clicked File --> Open Solution and pointed at the solution file in Visual Studio Projects folder. It opens it up just fine. Then I closed the solution and exited out of VS.NET.
When I came back in, this time the reference to my new project was there with "Modified" date reading "Today".
So I figured if I keep opening my projects by clicking File and Open Solution, I'd have the work around for this problem. I went thru the same process for my older projects. When I came back into VS.NET though, the dates were still unchanged.
So back to square one. However, this extra piece of information might help you get a better understanding of what's going on here. Thanks for all your help.
Thanks,

Sam
0
SamU
7/31/2003 2:44:13 PM
Sam-

Thank you for your very detailed response. From it, I was able to find the important detail I was missing. Namely, that you are talking about the date that displays on the start page. Let me try to explain what's going on here:
There are two important files that pertain to solutions. One is the .sln file, which contains information about which projects are included in the solution. Unless you are adding or removing project from the solution, this file doesn't change much. The other file is the .suo, the solution user options file. This contains information about options you have specified for your solution (which project is the start-up project, etc). This file is saved with any kind of edit within the solution, even a simple change to a code file. In Visual Studio 2002, the date that displays on the start page is the modified date of the .suo file, so it was the last time anything in the solution was changed. In Visual Studio 2003, the start page is displaying the modified date of the .sln file, which as I said, doesn't change very often. This is a bug, and has been entered into the database for the next version. So, although it is an annoyance, you can rest assured that you have had no data loss.
Tania

ASP.NET Team

taniam
8/1/2003 2:44:24 AM
Thanks Tania. I do appreciate your attention to this matter.
Thanks,

Sam
0
SamU

Web resources about - VS.NET 2003 stopped changing the "Modified" date for my project - asp.net.vs2002-vs2003