VB.NET Standard vs VS.NET Professional

Hello,

I've been using the Trail Version of Visual Studio .NET Professional Edition 2003 and I now need to ask my Boss to buy the Full Version.
I'm going to be developing ASP.NET Web Applications that are Data-driven with SQL Server 7.0 and 2000. I'm only going to need Visual Basic for coding my applications.
My Question is what version of Visual Studio .NET should I buy???
Since I'm only going to be using Visual Basic should I buy Visual Basic .NET Standard 2003???? or stick with Visual Studio .NET Professional Edition 2003 (bearing in mind is about 10x more expensive).
Obviously I don't want to spend any un-necessary money, but at the same time I don't want to end up buying the cheaper product at the expense of loosing much of the functionality that I have found with the trial version of VS.NET Professional.
Any advice would be much appriciated.
Thanks,
Steve.
0
ive5005s
1/11/2004 3:35:49 PM
📁 asp.net.vs2002-vs2003
📃 3502 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 5 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 123 Views

I don't spend much time working with c# stuff, but I do use several things only available in vs.net which are not available in vb.net only.  Now, I have never used a vb.net only program but I do remember the days of using vb6 without the visual studio suite and that was a big mistake.  Perhaps you should consider having your boss purchase an MSDN subscription or one of the other available solutions depending on how much programming you guys do.
Chris Paterra

0
thecrispy1
1/11/2004 7:46:43 PM
I think we already subscribe to MSDN, does that entitle us to anything?
0
ive5005s
1/11/2004 11:13:11 PM
I am not sure what level of MSDN you are subscribed to.  There is 3, operating system, pro and universal I think.  The OS one does not contain VS.NET, but pro contains pro and I know Universal contains Enterprise Architect.
Chris Paterra

0
thecrispy1
1/12/2004 6:50:07 AM
but remember guys MSDN subscription cannot be use for production or deployment it's just for develop and testing only.

thanks to Atrax for the info.. :)
0
kura2
1/20/2004 3:36:44 PM
Yes, you are correct.  His post is about development though.

If you are interested in software for production, MS has the action packs going for 200-300 dollars and that will more than likely get you whatever a small business would need for production.
Chris Paterra

0
thecrispy1