Can I buy VB .NET 2003 instead of VS .NET 2003?

Hi if I code my web applications using just Visual Basic can I buy Visual Basic .NET 2003 instead of having to buy the whole Visual Studio .NET 2003?  Will that work the same?  Thanks
0
em23

    When I got VB.NET 2003, it included VS.NET 2003 (Standard Edition).  I don't think there is a version of VB.NET 2003 that doesn't include VS.NET as the IDE.  While there are some projects templates that are not include in the standard edition, you still have the ASP.NET web application, web service, win forms, etc..., projects available.  If you are asking if you have to use the VS.NET IDE that comes along with VB.NET - I guess not, but why wouldn't you?
    You can, of course, get the official details from the Microsoft website.  I know that there are pages that describe the features available in the various product versions.  BRN..
0
Brian27
5/1/2005 2:56:33 AM
Thanks Brian.  I was basically asking if I could save a few hundred dollars by buying Visual Basic .NET 2003 instead of buying Visual Studio .NET 2003.  I think Visual Basic .NET 2003 is like $110, whereas Visual Studio is up over $600.  I love the Visual Studio IDE so if that's what Visual Basic .NET 2003 uses, that would be awesome.  So I guess from your response it sounds like Visual Basic .NET will work just the same then?
0
em23

   Yes, having VB.NET 2003 Standard gets you VS.NET too.  I'd try searching these forums for news about downloading VS.NET 2003.  It sounds like MS might be having some kind of free version available.  Perhaps it's because the 2005 versions are getting closer to roll out.  BTW, you can DL betas for these - take a look at forums about the 2005 and ASP.NET 2.0 stuff.  As I haven't checked, I couldn't say what might be included in any free DL versions.  There are several CDs with prerequistes, MSDN libraries, etc..., that are part of the VB.NET 2003 Standard package, so you'd need a a good highspeed connection if it was all there to DL.  You should also go out to MS just to see that you have the OS and hardware requirements for any given versions.  I wouldn't worry about the CPU speed, even if it's on the low side.  I have mine setup on an old 500 mhz PII box with 256 MB RAM.  It works better on a newer system, but it will work on most anything still out there.  I think the 2005 requirements are a lot higher.

   BTW, when you are ready to install the VB/VS.NET package (and they refer to it both ways - so it can get confusing), remember that the order you install things can be important - like getting IIS up and running before the .NET framework items.  Also, give some thought to where on your system you want to install the pieces.  If you are going to install MSDE (the desktop edition of MS SQL Server 2000 that you'll want for experimenting with database access with ASP.NET), if you have two physical hardrives, it's best to install the main data files, .MDF files and the log files, .LDF, on seperate drives.  If you don't see that option when you do the install, don't worry, it's just a perfomance issue - they will work on a single drive system.

The important thing is to get something going so you can start playing with the IDE.  Good luck.  BRN..

0
Brian27
5/1/2005 5:28:02 PM
Thanks for the info Brian.  I appreciate it.  I think the free version that you're referring to is the 2005 Visual Studio Express versions.  But that only uses the .NET 2.0 framework, so that won't help me (since this is a commercial application that I'm working on).  Thanks though, I'll check it out.
0
em23

Can I go from VS .NET 2003 to Visual Basic .NET 2003?
Hi, I just developed a commercial application using the trial version of Visual Studio .NET 2003.  My trial is about to expire.  I was hoping .NET 2.0 would be released by now, but that is obviously months away so I'm wondering if I could save a few hundred bucks by buying Visual Basic .NET 2003(around $110 i think) instead of having to buy Visual Studio .NET 2003, which I believe is up around $600 or so.   All my code is Visual Basic, so that's why I'm thinking that's all I need.  And it's mostly web development that I do if that matters.  T...

Can i unstall vs.net 2002 after upgrading to vs.net 2003
Can I unsatll visual studio .net 2002 after using the upgrade to visual studio .net 2003. Thers seems to be two version in my programs list. I would like to free up the hard disk space from the previous install. In brief does the upgrade install which appears to be independent of the 2002 install rely on the 2002 install. In my programs I can run 2002 or 2003. However my machine is an older notebook that has limeted hard disk space. thanks in advance Charles Beasley Please replace "unstall" and "unsatll" with the word "uninstall" and in general excu...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003

Can you have VS .net 2003 AND VS.net 2005 Beta 2 installed on same machine?
Right now I have Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 installed on my machine, but I also need to put on the Visual Studio 2003 Professional to work with some older projects. Can I installed the Visual Studio 2003 Professional on the same machine with out messing anything up?Thanks Yes you can have them side by side!   Also see http://blogs.msdn.com/robcaron/archive/2005/04/20/410224.aspx link of Robcorn, it also could helps you!Sreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti great thanks, I am installing the 2003 version now on my machine that already has the ...

Can I install and use my VS.NET 2002 MSDN Help in VS.NET 2003?
Hi! I would like to know if I could install MSDN help from VS.NET 2002 (Architect) for VS.NET 2003 (Architect). Thanks! :)...

VS.NET 2003 to VS.Net 2005
Hi   I just converetd my VS.Net 2003 project to VS.NET 2005 using the convert wizard in Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Project. It compiled with no build errors and a few warnings. When Iam trying to view the project, then it gives me 404 error. Can someone help ? Thanks Could you confirm you are using WAP (Web Application Projects) versus the built-in WSP (Web Site model)? If you have a project file after converting, then you are using WAP. Could you post the actual 404 error you got? Also, did you set your start page in the converted project?  -Mike-...

Vs.Net 2002 and Vs.Net 2003
Hello: I've one question that keeps messing with my head, I want to know if you have: 1. VS.Net 2002 with Framework 1.0 and 1.1 in the same PC, which Framework it compiles apps for? 2. VS.Net 2003 with Framework 1.0 and 1.1 in the same PC, which Framework it compiles apps for? Is it possible to have an app compiled for framework 1.0 that uses DLLs or assemblies compiled for framework 1.1???? and still work ok?? thanks a lot....

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003 #2

vb.net vs c#.net vs j#.net

Can I install Visual Basic 6 on my machine which has VS.NET 2003 & VS.NET 2005?
I may have a need to use Visual Basic 6 for a legacy project in the near future.  I was wondering if I can install VB6 on my machine which already has VS.NET 2003 & VS.NET 2005 installed on it? I did not know if doing so would cause issues or not so thought I would ask before just leaping and doing.   Ira Richard Smith At one time i had to install Visual Basic 6 on my machine with VS.NET 2003 and had "NO" issues. I would suggest take a backup of your machine or a restore point before you proceed. Please post your experience. I am sure some one would appreci...

Upgrade VB.net 2002 to VB.net 2003
Hi, i want to upgrade VB.net 2002 to VB.net 2003.what is the procedure?Uninstall 2002 and Install 2003 or something else? VB.net 2003 includes Framework 1.1 or i will install it separately?thanx in advance ...

Upgrade IBS from VS.NET to VS.NET 2003
Anyone encountered any problems while performing this upgrade? Like "ASPNetPortal.PortalModuleControl could not be loaded." If so, what is the casue, how did you fix it ? Thanks I know it is of no help but ... It went painlessly for me Sorry DavidMVarious IBS Addons available at http://www.snowcovered.comLead Developer [vb & c#] - MCAD I not have any problem. check the project references or try a clean install hmmm - thanks for the replies. I'm trying to help out the user who posted this message I'm struggling to find a reason why he's having suc...

VS.NET 2003 and VS.NET 2005 on same machine
I've seen some postings indicating that you can have VS.NET 2003 and VS.NET 2005 side by side on the same machine.  I've also seen some comments that if doing this there is something that gets messed up, but I can't locate what it is and what the solution might be. Can someone shed some light on this for me regarding what might get messed up and where I can find the fixes to it? Thanks, Ira  Ira Richard Smith I have this set up. no prob at all.-DarrenNeese.com-DNN ROCKS!-DeveloperSchool.com Same here along with VS.Net 2002 & VS 6.0 I'm running 2003 and 2005 on wi...

Web resources about - Can I buy VB .NET 2003 instead of VS .NET 2003? - asp.net.vs2002-vs2003

The Force Awakens VFX reel shows surprising use of real props
These days, almost everyone expects "movie magic" to involve some computer generated images, especially in action films and most especially in ...

Islamic Extremists Attack African Union Base in Somalia
CTV News Islamic Extremists Attack African Union Base in Somalia ABC News Heavily armed fighters from the Islamic extremist group al-Shabab ...

President Obama Discovers a Climate Believer, Pays Personal Visit
Guest essay by Eric Worrall President Obama has paid a personal visit to one of the few Americans who is genuinely worried about the climate. ...

America Ferrera Explains Where Golden Globes Bit with Eva Longoria Came From!
America Ferrera strikes a pose as she attends the 2016 Winter TCA Tour to promote her new NBC show Superstore on Wednesday (January 13) in Pasadena, ...

There's a Few Good Reasons to Download the New iOS Beta
The public beta of iOS 9.3 is available for all to download today. Normally, decimal-point upgrades aren’t much to write home about, but there’s ...

Lawyer: Police Shooting of Black Teen Deserves Second Look
A lawyer for the family of a black carjacking suspect fatally shot by a white Chicago police officer in 2013 hopes newly released video of the ...

US Powerball: Tickets, results, winning numbers, live stream of lottery for Australians
ONE of the winners of the world record Powerball jackpot has been revealed as a California nurse who was given the ticket by her generous boss. ...

Netflix Says It Will Crack Down On Customers Using VPNs To Access Its Global Catalog
Netflix went global earlier this month, and now the U.S. company has said it will crack down on customers who use VPN software to access content ...

Sierra Leone investigating suspected Ebola death: health ministry
Sierra Leone's Health Ministry said on Thursday it was investigating a suspected Ebola death in Tonkolili district, hours after the World Health ...

Planned Parenthood sues anti-abortion group for secret video
Planned Parenthood, the US women's health care provider perennially attacked by conservatives, filed a lawsuit Thursday against an anti-abortion ...