WDP vs command-line scripting?

 Hi,

Here is my scenario:

1.  Developers work off their individual workstations using VS 2008 and Source Control.

2. When ready for deployment, we need to do a build on a separate box that compiles all the code from the Source Control folder and copies output to a specific deployment folder.

3. We cannot have VS 2008 installed on that build box.

Does WDP support command-line actions? Or should I just write my own MSBUILD scripts? I need to use aspnet_merge utility too.

And advice is greatly appreciated!

thanks

hp

0
hpdotnet
9/19/2008 7:27:45 PM
asp.net.vs-web-deploy-projects 789 articles. 0 followers. Follow

 Hello,

Can anyone give me any pointers to do a build using WDP from command-line? Any help is greatly appreciated.

To reiterate, I need to build my website on a box that can have just the .net framework and not Visual Studio. Can I run the WDP project from command-line?

Any link documentation or tutorial will be great.

thanks

HP

0
hpdotnet

Web Deployment Project use aspnet_compiler.exe to compile website and use aspnet_merge.exe to combines assemblies, and all the configuration is saved in Project file. We can use MSbuild to perform build operations basing on this Project file.

In your case, we can configure Web Deployment project in Visual Studio and then copy this Project file to that box and execute MSbuild. To do so, we need to make sure the Path such as "SourceWebPhysicalPath" in Project file is correct in new machine.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thomas Sun
Microsoft Online Community Support

Thomas
9/24/2008 10:37:00 AM

 Thanks Thomas for your reply. Yes, MSBuild will work for me. And as you mentioned, my wdproj file will have different properties for different configurations. e.g. SourceWebPhysicalPath will point to my local path for Debug but will point to the source control folder for Release Configuration.

Thanks again!

HP

0
hpdotnet

How to deploy a VS.VB net project to websever withour VS.net
The VB app is developed on VS.net professional. I plan to deploy it on a web server that doesn't have VS.net. Would the code behind files cause problems? Should I compile the app and deploy the assembly only? I'd appreciate some quickstart tips on how to deploy a VS.net VB project to websever withour VS.net. Thanks. Please mark the post(s) that have helped you as "Answer" The only thing you would need to do is compile the project and push the .aspx files and the bin folder to the server, and of course any other sub-folders that are used in your app like images. The...

Copying VS.NET web project to Win 2003 and opening it in VS.NET
Hi all, Environment: ASP.NET 1.1; VS.NET Enterprise 2003; Windows Server 2003; IIS 6.0 I hope somebody can help me figure this out. I created a Web project on my XP Dev machine which I can open, run, debug and do everything else. I can "deploy" the project to my 2003 server and open the site in explorer browser. But now, I want to transfer the whole solution to my Win 2003 and continue the development and testing on it. So, I transferred the whole VS solution directory from my XP machine to the Win 2003 machine. I created a Web site (not a virtual directory under default...

web app vs web site vs web project
Could someone describe the differences between web sites, web apps and web projects? (or send me a link that contains this comparison?). Is one of these terms synonomous with another? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?  How does one choose when starting new development? Can one type be converted into another?     Thank you. Here is my definition: Website: perspective of users. Collection of web pages.Webapp and project: perspective of developer (and webmasters). Collection of web pages and resouces (database, code, etc.). Maybe software installers...

Benefits of creating a Web Deployment project for a Setup project for a website vs a Web Setup project
I'm creating an installer for a website.The only thing I require as input from the user (in Custom Actions) is settings for the web.config. My initial approach was to create a Deployment project from my web project ans use this as input to the Setup project.Couldn't I use a Web Setup project instead of a Web Deployment + Setup project to do the same thing?Issues I have found with the Web Deployment is that I cannot edit it's contents at installation time, I'm taking user input at installation time to write to the web.config that the Installer uses but of course this file is embedded in the W...

VS.NET vs. MSBuild web project compilation difference
Hi, Question is: Why would msbuild assume that a bin folder in my web project already contains its project references? I have a 2.0 solution which contains a local file system web project (among other class libraries). If I compile it inside Whidbey, there will be a \bin folder created for me and put in there all of the web project's dll references. Then later if I do in Whidbey Build->Clean Solution, the bin\ folder will not be removed nor will the contents of it. Therefore after that if I run in command line msbuild mysolution.sln, msbuild succeeds. However, if I do in Whidb...

problems deploying my VS.NET web project
i'm a first time user of VS.NET Enterprise Edition (used to coding everything by hand in a text editor). i followed the deployment walkthrough that ships with VS.NET, and encountered difficulties when i attempted to set up my new solution on the server. my site is hosted by a company at a remote location. my Debug folder contains three files: fileName.msi, setup.exe and setup.ini. i copied all three to the root directory of my website, and executed setup.exe. problem: a dialog window popped up with a message: "The loaded did not find the file 'D:\Temp\dsp99.ini' " ...

How to deploy web project in VS 2005 using web setup project
I have developed a new .NET Web application in C#. It is working find in localhost, i want to deploy the application to the production server. Please let me know what are the steps i need to follow to create an MSI file with VS.NET Installer in VS 2005. When i am trying to create a websetup project with a new solution option, it is not giving me the primary output file selection, i mean to say i am not at all getting the list of resources to select in the drop down list and also my project in the projects drop down list. Please some boyd help me and tell me is there any thing need to be done...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003

Migrating from VS 2005 Web Site Projects to VS 2005 Web Application Projects witn vb and c# code
I've tring to migrate Web Site to Web Aplication in VS 2005. In my Web Site I have pages written using VB and C#. During converting to WA i choose VB and only pages with VB code i can migrate. If I choose C# as language for WA only pages with C# I can migrate. Is a way to migrate Web Site with mix of VB and C# code? Wieslaw Hi, As far as I know, The ASP.NET Web application doesn't support that C# application project contains VB page or VB application project contains C# page. But it can compile the different language class file in project. In your case, you can tr...

C#.NET in VS.NET vs. C# in Web Matrix
Hi all, I am very new to .NET ... I realized C#.NET is only available from Visual Studio.NET ... however, I realized Web Matrix also allowed us to choose C# as language but not C#.NET ... they are not the same, right? If not, then why it's in Web Matrix which runs ASP.NET?? If I need to run C#.Net, I MUST GET VS.NET, right? Can C#.NET has the abality to create chat program? Thank you very much. C#.NET and C# are the same thing. JimMS MVP ASP.NET [VC++/MFC emeritus]Old Dog Learns New TricksPreferred programming language: cuneiform on clay tablets So ... that means I can use web matrix t...

Converting project from VS:Net 2003 to Vs.Net 2005
Hi there,can anyone help with converting a project from Vs.NET 2003 to vs.net 2005. Its not the internal workings that are a problem but the organization...I understand that under mydocuments\visual Studio 2005\  there are 2 directories (amongst others)1 is projects1 is websitesin projects these store the sln file and all the code for a gui app for examplefor websites in projects is just the sln which points to the websites directory where all the code is for a website i.e. under \mydocs\visual studio 2005\websitesam i right?So in simple terms, what is the best way of importing my vs.ne...

How to open a VS.NET 2003 project in VS.NET 2002
My colleague created a ASP.NET project by VS.NET 2003. I can not open it by the VS.NET 2002 in my machine. Can I call my colleague to modify some settings on this project and so I can open it by 2002? How to do that? thx...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003 #2

convert the web application from vs.net 2002 to vs.net 2003
hi how can i convert the web application from vs.net 2002 to vs.net 2003 and how i know that the application is made in vs.net 2002 and not in vs.net 2003 and thank for your time VS.NEt 2003 detects 2002 project format automatically when you try to open 2002 project with it. It also asks you if the project needs to be converted into 2003 format (if I remember right conversion must be done to use the project in 2003). If you say yes, it does the conversion and you don't have to do anything. Note that VS.NEt 2002 can't open 2003 projects.Thanks,Teemu KeiskiFinland, EU thank you for your...

Web resources about - WDP vs command-line scripting? - asp.net.vs-web-deploy-projects

Command-line interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A command-line interface (CLI) is a means of interaction with a computer program where the user (or client ) issues commands to a program in ...

Command Line Magic (@climagic) on Twitter

‘Shell Shock’ command line vulnerability present in OS X, could be bigger than Heartbleed
... For more information about AAPL Company , OS X , and Mac continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "‘Shell Shock’ command line ...

Command-Line Testing
Explains how to incorporate and use Xcode testing features for development projects.

Linux-based HP Mini Mi ships with command line disabled
Linux is hitting the consumer product big time but while doing so, it's hiding …

The Return Of The Command Line Interface
I learned to use computers in the era of the “command line interface”. It looked like this: I started using computers in the era of mainframes ...

aria2 is an HTTP, FTP, BitTorrent downloader for the command line
... usually very simple just point your browser at the appropriate URL, and wait so it’s hard to imagine why you might want to use a command line ...

Managing OpenStack security groups from the command line
... a particular OpenStack instance on port 443. I decided to inspect the security group it belongs (let's call it myapp) to from the command line: ...

Re-indexing Magento through the command line
From time to time, you might find the need to re-index Magento via the command line. This could be for a whole host of reasons, for example, ...

How to adjust network settings in OS X via the command line
In addition to using the system preferences, you can adjust Wi-Fi network configuration in OS X via Terminal.