VS 2008 and SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services "Business Intelligence Projects"

I installed Visual Studio 2008 Pro. Then I installed SQL Server 2005 Dev Edtion also on my XP machine.

When I open up VS 08, I don't see the ability to create "Business Intelligence Projects" like I could do in VS 05.

What's the best solution? - install VS 05 also now side-by-side, to use the Reporting Services report design tools? Can't VS 08 use the SQL 05 reporting tools?

0
hapax_legomenon

You need VS2005 to use SQL 2005 BI, SSIS etc.

(I expect SQL 2008 will use VS 2008.)

Richard
0
rjcox
3/18/2008 10:34:38 AM

Bummer.

Thanks for the info.

0
hapax_legomenon
3/18/2008 5:24:17 PM

what about those of us who use oracle as our data source?  you'd think the ability to create BI projects/reports would be independent of which dbms a shop uses, i.e., based within visual studio rather than sql server?

0
kjward

Visual Studio "Orcas" Visual Studio.net "2005"
What are Microsoft on weed??? Whidby Orcas Indigo XAML Longhorn What are they trying to do to us developers. The transition to any new tools should be minimal. What we know about WebServices is now old bunk. Why did we bother with .net 1.1???????? Now we need to learn new silly names and new ways of doing things. Yes .net 1.1 is still supported in v2.0. But there are a million and one other needless things that we will have pushed onto us. Only to find in anther two years that they are old hat and there are new radical ways to do what we want.MCAD.Net vb.n...

Where is the Sql Services Reporting Services "Preview Tab" in VS 2005?
Can someone tell me if there is a Preview Tab for reporting services reports developed in Visual Studio 2005?  I'm reading a reporting services book that shows a preview tab but I don't see it in my environment. Thanks! You must create the report within a report project before you will see the Preview tab.  Reports added to non-reporting projects have the designer capabilities but not the desirable Preview tab....

Build Timlenie Reports using SQL Server Reporting Services 2008 Report Builder 2.0 or VS Inteligent 2008
 Hi, I have just started using SQL Server Reporting Services (SQL Server 2008). I've build my first reports in Report Builder 2.0 and in VS 2008. I need to build reports with timelines. So I have to execute evry second (or minute) sql query to check and calculate the value.Do you have an idea how to do this?OR if you can send some links to a good tutorials :) I will apprisiate.Thanks Please Mark as Answer if it helps you in solving your problem. Do you have the time data in your database  or u just have the start time and end time?  If i have exsact time :) then buildi...

Report Server Project using sql server 2005 and VS 2008
 ok...this question might be completely stupidI run sql server 2005 and VS 2008...I need to create to Report Server projectVS2005 has the Report Server Project under the Business Intelligence Projects selection when you create a new project...How do I do this in VS2008?  Unfortunately u can't do it with VS2008U have to use VS2005 for sql server 2005 reporting.VS2008 will support[not current]  the reporting services project of Sql server 2008 You can check http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/VisualStudio/microsoft.public.vsnet.setup/2008-01/msg00026.htmlKamran ShahidSr. ...

Sql Server 2005 Reporting Service + Visual Studio.NET 2005
Hi, Iam new 2 sql server 2005 reporting services, I created a report server project with few reports and deployed in reportserver. Everything is working fine but i want to integrate these reports to my VS.net 2005 web appliction. Through the interface i have to pass the perameters to my reports. Iam looking for help thxs in advance PradeepPradeep Reddy Take a look over here for a working example : http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/ReportViewer.asp   HTH,Suprotim Agarwal -----http://www.dotnetcurry.com-----ASP.NET Grid With Excel Capabilities | 27 GridView Tips & Tricks |...

Visual Studio 2008 includes SQL Server 2008 Express and Visual Basic 2008?
Please can somebody tell me whether Visual Studio 2008 includes SQL Server 2008 Express or 2005? Also does it include Visual Basic 2008 or 2005? Thank you.VWGolfman  VS2008 installs Sql Server 2005 Express by default. Also, VS2008 installs the new version of VB.Net BUT you can target older runtimes (i.e .Net 1.1, .Net 2, .Net 3) so you can argue that all VB.Net versions are "installed". Thank you Steven VWGolfman...

Visual Studio 2008 SP1
I have the developer version of SQL 2005 & SQL Server Express 2008 installed on my laptop and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 installed.    I'm learning ASP.Net MVC and want to work with a SQL Server Express 2008, but I can't connect to SQL Server Express 2008.  I first tried to ADD a SQL Server Database by adding a SQL Server Database to app_data and received the error "Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.  Then I attempted to ADD the Membership.MDF ...

Windows Server 2008, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Launched!
Largest enterprise launch in company history includes Windows Server 2008, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2008; focuses on security, Web, virtualization and better business intelligence. LOS ANGELES - Feb. 27, 2008 - Kicking off more than 225 events around the world and joined by more than 4,000 customers and partners, Microsoft Corp.'s Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer today showcased the next generation of infrastructure and application platform products, including Windows Server 2008, Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008....

Why is Visual Studio 2008 very slow when going from "source" to "design" in the markup ?
and at times it just sits there and freezes for about a minute or so .. Is it to do with style sheets ,? is there some option to turn this off ?   thanks robby Hi Robby, did you also install SP1 for Visual Studio 2008? Grz, Kris.Read my blog. Handy Firefox plugins for web developers.Workaround for non working Mark as answer buttons. Hi, i am pretty sure i did. How can i check (is it under the Help--> About option? Also is that the only service pack for VS08 ?  thanks robby Hi, yes, it's the only service pack. There was also a hot fix rollup but if ...

SQL Server Reporting Services / VS 2008 intelligence / Report Builder 2.0 Video Tutorails
Hi, If some of you know some good video tutorials for building reports in VS 2008 intelligence / Report Builder 2.0 , please share.thanks Please Mark as Answer if it helps you in solving your problem. Hi Ace i have some tutorials that i think u could use :)   Hi, Please check the following links. Report Builder 2.0: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd239338.aspx Microsoft Reports: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb885185.aspx Video: http://msevents.microsoft.com/cui/SearchDisplay.aspx?culture=en-US#culture=en-US;sortKey=;sortOrder=;pageEvent=false;hdnIni...

"Using other editions of SQL Server for report data sources and/or the report server database" is not supported in this edition of Reporting Services
Hi My project is in .NET 2003 i.e. framework 1.1 and database in SQLServer 2000. But the reports have been developed using SQLServer 2005 Reporting Services. Now when I am trying to deploy them through deployment project of .NET its giving me following error:"Using other editions of SQL Server for report data sources and/or the report server database" is not supported in this edition of Reporting Services.  Now I am really confused with this. Can any one please guide me regarding this ASAP. Thanks, Falguni    You will need to use the SQL Server ...

Difference between "Visual Studio 2005 Professional" and "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition"
I would like to build a web application for my department.  But I found that both tools can be used to build a ASP web site.  What is the difference between these two tools ?  Do they function the same ?  You can review this online features matrix between all visual studio versionshttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx  Hosam Kamel Remember to click on Mark as answer on the post that helped you Have a look here http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2006/06/26/647516.aspx. Thanks----------------------------------------------------------...

In Visual Studio 2005 whats difference between "new Project" and "new website".
In Visual Studio 2005 whats difference between "new Project" and "new website".  Is new project for non web realted stuff.   Hi Parms,New Project enables you to add projects to your solution for non-web related projects -- for example: windows applications, class libraries, etc.  New Website adds a project specific to web UI developmnet.Hope this helps,Scott Hi Scott --On a related subject: I've got a VS 2003 solution with three web apps. The third web app is really just a library of classes that are shared between the other two web apps.app_1: a real web app (references ...

Web resources about - VS 2008 and SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services "Business Intelligence Projects" - asp.net.visual-studio-2008