Visual Studio 2005 vs Visual Studio 2008

I have 2 systems. One running XP Pro SP2 + updates second Vista + Updates (and SP1 when its released)

I have a copy of Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2008.

Should i use Visual Studio 2008 on both systems as it allows me to target different .Net platforms? or should i use XP with VS 2005 and Vista with VS 2008. My aim is to create projects for different platforms but still have the advantages of a new product and features i.e. WPF, AJAX, intellisense etc.

Is there a reason why someone would want to have VS2005 running on XP rather than VS 2008. Im under the impression VS 2008 can do everything VS2005 can but has the added benefits of new technology where in VS2005 you have to add new feature by manually installing them (AJAX etc)

EssCee
3/3/2008 11:17:21 AM
📁 asp.net.visual-studio-2008
📃 3408 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 6 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1302 Views

That is correct, VS 2008 includes all of VS 2005's features. There wouldn't be an advantage to using 2005 over 2008. However, if you are working in a Team environment, VS 2008 will convert the project and solution files to VS 2008 format, which VS 2005 cannot open, even if the target framework version is 2.0. However, some features were removed from VS 2008 that were in 2005 in favor of newer technologies, such as WSE was replaced by WCF.

Cheers,
       Kevin Jones

0
vcsjones
3/3/2008 4:01:06 PM

Excellent guess VS2008 on XP and Vista is the way to go.

Shame some little features such as having the option to select the masterpageFile when adding a new apsx page is not available in VS2008 but is in VS2005. Other than that VS2008 i think is a lot "speedier".

0
EssCee
3/3/2008 4:25:47 PM

Hi there Kevin

Would you know if the 'Web Application Project" for VS2005 is perhaps available for VS2008?

I'm having difficulty finding anything to that regards.

I've setup a virtual pc running XP and VS2008 and I want to start messing around porting my VS2003 and VS2005 projects to VS2008 with the exception that my VS2005 projects was comiled using the web app project and the convertion gave me a problem:

This is the result:

Conversion Issues - Website\AIG_SAR.csproj:
Project file successfully backed up as C:\Projects\AIG_SAR\VS2005_Backup\Backup\Website\AIG_SAR.csproj
Project converted successfully
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

The highlighted one above is i think the troublesome one.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks in advance.

0
MariusEls
3/3/2008 6:45:09 PM

 Would you know if the 'Web Application Project" for VS2005 is perhaps available for VS2008?

Yes, VS2008 has the "ASP.NET Web Application" project templates listed under VB and C# project types.

0
anhphan
3/3/2008 11:30:21 PM

Well I've learned something: maybe spend the same amount of time scratching around in the VS IDE, than scouring the web for answers....

Thanks, I found it.

0
MariusEls
3/4/2008 6:57:05 AM

I think my problem was that i was too eager to get into VS2008, because i started the conversion process without the website being created in IIS that the project uses....
So I created the website and pointed it to my projects' website directory, then did the conversion again, this time without any problems!

0
MariusEls