Strange lines in new web.config (.NET 3.5)?

What do the lines below mean? They appeared in my .NET 2.0->.NET 3.5-project after the conversion. The new .NET 3.5 System.Web.Extensions is referenced to earlier in the assemblies section, so I can't figure out what these lines do? I dont want to remove them, "dependentAssembly" seems important. Does this mean I can't remove my old ASP.NET AJAX assemblies from GAC?

Thanks in advance!

<runtime>
  <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
    <dependentAssembly>
      <assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"/>
      <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0"/>
    </dependentAssembly>
  </assemblyBinding>
</runtime>

0
Jeinhor

The key line here is the binding redirect. This will cause any controls in your project compiled against ASP.Net Ajax 1.0 to continue working under the 3.5 version of the .NET Framework. Any component in your project that was bound to the 1.0 version of System.Web.Extensions will now be bound to the 3.5 version of System.Web.Extensions and work properly in your app that is targeting the 3.5 framework.

0
joecar
12/12/2007 12:54:52 AM

Here is Scott Mitchell's explanation on the topic from his article "Dissecting ASP.NET Version 3.5's Web.config File":

Prior to ASP.NET 3.5, the ASP.NET AJAX framework was implemented as a stand-alone assembly (System.Web.Extensions). The .NET Framework version 3.5 usurped the AJAX framework, making it part of the framework. The <assemblyBinding>s section in the default Web.config file for ASP.NET 3.5 applications simply states that any references to the pre-3.5 version of the ASP.NET AJAX framework should, instead, use the version that's part of the 3.5 framework.

M.V. 'Anil' Radhakrishna
Web Development Tips, Tricks & Trivia | My Code Gallery

Recent article - How To Create a Custom IE8 Accelerator

0
mvark
12/12/2007 6:17:53 AM

Thanks for making it clear. With the confident of your answers I removed the lines and everything is still working (trying to keep that Web.config as simple as possible).

0
Jeinhor

After migration from .Net 1.1 to .Net 3.5 do I have to incorporate new web.config settings in old *.config file
Hi,I have successfully migrated web application from .Net 1.1 to .Net 3.5. Could you let me know whether I have to incorporate setting in new web.config (this new web.config file was generated automatically due to migration) into old *.config file?FYI: Old *.config file contains all application level settings required. So I will continue to use old.config file by removing new web.config file. Settings which are in new web.config file are:<configSections><sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions" type="System.Web.Configuration.SystemWebExtensionsSectionGroup,...

new features for Visual Studio 2008 and .Net FrameWork 3.0 &3.5
Hi,    What are the new features for Visual Studio 2008 and .Net FrameWork 3.0 &3.5  There are many of them. Pleas check the links below for a list of them.http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/http://www.vikramlakhotia.com/AspNet_3X.aspx Vikram www.vikramlakhotia.comPlease mark the answer if it helped you...

machine.config problem after installing .net 3.5 and visual web developer 2008 express
 I had asp.net 2.0 and visual web developer 2005 installed on my windows xp computer. I then installed .net 3.5 and visual web developer 2008 express on the same computer with out uninstalling .net 2.0 and VWD 2005 express and did not encounter any errors during installation. Problem is, i can no longer run any project.When i create a web site in visual web developer 2008 and click "start Debugging" i get the error message below"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config(138): Build (web): Unrecognized configuration section system.serviceModel.&qu...

Develop in .NET 3.5...Deploy on .NET 3.0...Assembly strong name issue in web.config
Hi. I develop locally using web developer express 2008. I have .NET 3.5 installed on the development machine.I am trying to deploy to a Windows Server 2003 machine running.NET 3.0.Not surprisingly, I get an error about the strong assembly names referenced all over my web.config when I try to access the site on the production server.I don't think any of my code truly relies on .NET 3.5--it should all be compatible with the 3.0 framework.Here's my error message:Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77...

.NET 3.5 (Visual Studio 2008)
I am new to powerdesigner, and mostly very impressed. Using version 15.1.0.2850 I am look at OOMs and I only see VS2005 support? and the web service support seems to be for the .asmx style web service and not WCF .svc style? Is there something I am missing or is this expected in a future release? btw, had rediculous fun modelling some XML Schema (NIEM IEPDs) ... nice tool ... now to hook that to a web service and object model Thanks, Gordon ...

setup AP.NET membership database & web.config in .NET 3.5?
 A long time ago I setup an ASP.NET security database using aspnet_regsql.exe. I noticed this utility doesn't ship with .NET 3.5. Can anyone direct me to a writeup of how to create the security database and modify the web.config for membership? Thanks! Michael  Hello Michael, You still use the .net framework version 2 version of aspnet_regsql.exe in something like C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727As I understand it ver 3.5 is just adding new features onto the version 2 framework but mostly asp.net is just the same. Hope it helps JeremyRegardsJeremyIf ...

Integrating Visual Studio 2008 / .NET 3.5 with PayPal
I am trying to integrate Visual Studio 2008 and .NET 3.5 with PayPal.  I have not seen any PayPal SDKs that work on the 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5 frameworks.  What is everyone using in order to do PayPal e-commerce in their projects?  I am open to switching away from PayPal as long as someone can provide me with a link to a decent e-commerce SDK.You can't stop entropy so why even try? If SDK is 1.1 based, you can still use it since 1.1 assemblies will work with 2.0 and 3.5.Thanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is provided "AS IS&q...

Creating Reports in Visual Studio 2008/.NET Framework 3.5
I am trying to create reports in VB using Visual Studio 2008/.NET Framework 3.5 with a SQL Server 2000 backend (moving to SQL Server 2005 in a couple of months). I am fairly new to this environment and I'm not sure what the best approach is. I see that there is a Visual Studio Template for Reports, but my attempts to get it working have failed. I've tried finding tutorials on this, but nothing is quite what I need. It seems most articles are for VS 2005 or SQL Reporting Services. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm tired of going in circles. I have decided to keep ...

Visual Studio 2008 & .NET 3.5
Hi all In the company we're currently developing some applications in ASP.NET 2.0 with Visual Studio 2005 and we're seriously thinking about an upgrade to Visual Studio 2008 and .NET 3.5.What are your experiences with the new framework and the new Visual Studio? Are they already reliable for the productive use or are they still buggy like Vista or the first AJAX release?It's very important for us to do this upgrade only if the is stability is warranted. Thank you for your feedbacks! I too would be interested in answers to King's questions.Please be sure to click "Ma...

Hosting provider only supports .net 2.0 but I developed site in .net 3.5 with Visual Studios '08
Is there a way to develop in .net 2.0? My hosting provider only supports .net version 2.0 & I'm using VS '08....  & is creating a site with .net 3.5? I have several .net versions installed, but how do I know, how can I use .net 2.0? Right click on the project, choose Properties and specify 2.0 as a target framework.Thanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. That was easy...  THANKS!  ...

Hosting provider only supports .net 2.0 but I developed site in .net 3.5 with Visual Studios '08
I developed a simple site in VS '08 & it's not working on the www after uploading to my hosting provider.  I called technical support & they told me that they only support .net version 2.0 & that my site wasn't displaying b/c I had developed it with .net version 3.5. I understand that the newest versions are built on the previous...  But how do I develop this correctly so that it will work on the www? I don't need to worry about converting what I've already created.  It's just a test page displaying a picture so I can start from scrat...

Does Visual Web developer 2008 and .net version 3.5 work better with CSS ?
I am building a menu and trying to control the presentation as much as I can with CSS. This is being done with VWD 2005 and the 2.0 version of the .net framework. After trying multiple combinations,I have decided to leave some of the style properties in the Dynamic Menu Style and in the Dynamic Hover Style. This seems to be the only way I can get the menu to perform the way I want. I am not doing anything too complicated; it's basically just changing colors when the dynamic menu drops down and when the cursor is hovered over it. Would I get better support from the latest VWD and f...

web.config file crashing my VWD 2008/.NET 3.5 Framework site?
I've just finished the strawman of a website I'm developing using VWD 2008 Beta2. Last night I downloaded the release version plus Framework 3.5, test the site and it ran fine on my localhost. Today I uploaded the site to my hosting service (godaddy) and the site displays fine and can navigate through the pages. However when I load up my web.config file the site falls over and the page not found message is displayed. Here is my web.config file: <!-- Note: As an alternative to hand editing this file you can use the web admin tool to configure settings for yo...

Web resources about - Strange lines in new web.config (.NET 3.5)? - asp.net.visual-studio-2008

Strange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EW Provides Early Glimpse of ‘Doctor Strange’
Entertainment Weekly’s latest cover—featuring the first look at Benedict Cumberbatch playing Doctor Strange—is right in line with the trend of ...

Our first official look at Benedict Cumberbatch as Marvel’s ‘Doctor Strange’
There are going to be plenty of Marvel films worth keeping tabs on over the next several years, but Doctor Strange is personally at the top of ...

PUTIN THE IMMORTAL: Strange Pictures Fuel Rumors That Russian President is a Vampire
Well, it's on the Internets and it's The Daily Mail , so the story has got to be true . A photograph from almost 100 years ago has some on social ...

Strange Bedfellows: Clinton, Rubio Align Against Sanders, Cruz on Foreign Policy
You won't believe who agrees with whom when it comes to dealing with Middle East dictators

Here's your first look at Benedict Cumberbatch as Marvel superhero Doctor Strange
This week's cover of Entertainment Weekly offers an extremely early glimpse of Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange for the Marvel film due ...

See Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange
​Marvel has managed to do some pretty, err, marvelous stuff

EW’s first look at Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange: yay or nay?
Should I be the one to say it? I’m into Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange. Bendy has an odd/beautiful lizard-face, and I’m predisposed to ...

President Obama's Christmas Eve message on Christian persecution sounds 'strange,' even 'crazy' to critics ...
Conservative critics remained dubious of the real intention of U.S. President Barack Obama even after he issued a statement on Christmas Eve ...

New Doctor Strange Images Are Magical
As part of Entertainment Weekly 's upcoming "First Look" issue, they're releasing bits and pieces from their Doctor Strange preview early. After ...