where isthe "Generate Data in Data"

Hi everyone,

I'm new to visual studio .NET 2005. Please help
I follow the " walkthroughs: displaying Data in a web forms page "
when come to the "To generate a dataset" part I encounter an problem that I cant create Dataset
because I do not see "Generate Dataset"
 under the Data menu.  PLease help.

is there a another way to create dataset.  Could someone show me how.  Thank you very much.

0
ethantr

Hi ethantr,

Based on my understanding, you probably followed this article:

Walkthrough: Displaying Data in a Web Forms Page
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa728879(VS.71).aspx

However, that article is for Visual Studio 2003. In Visual Studio 2005, we can right click the project in “Solution Explorer”, and then select “Add | New Item… | DataSet”

Actually, in Visual Studio 2005 we can simply bind Data Source control to display data. For example, please refer to the following articles at your convenience.

Data Source Controls Overview
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms227679(VS.80).aspx

Walkthrough: Creating a Web Page to Display Access Database Data
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/445z2s49(VS.80).aspx

Walkthrough: Creating a Web Page to Display XML Data
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/13ftcwy9(VS.80).aspx

Sincerely,
Benson Yu
Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
0
Benson

Visual Studio "Orcas" Visual Studio.net "2005"
What are Microsoft on weed??? Whidby Orcas Indigo XAML Longhorn What are they trying to do to us developers. The transition to any new tools should be minimal. What we know about WebServices is now old bunk. Why did we bother with .net 1.1???????? Now we need to learn new silly names and new ways of doing things. Yes .net 1.1 is still supported in v2.0. But there are a million and one other needless things that we will have pushed onto us. Only to find in anther two years that they are old hat and there are new radical ways to do what we want.MCAD.Net vb.n...

"data only" "log only" data and log"
i altered the db to include 1 gb. however the fragment was created "data and log". what should have i done to create a 'data only' fragment? melanie wrote: > i altered the db to include 1 gb. > however the fragment was created "data and log". > > what should have i done to create a 'data only' fragment? I believe I'm correct in saying that if your database has data and log on separate devices the alter database command will assume you're adding to "data" unless you specify otherwise by using the "log on&q...

Difference between "Visual Studio 2005 Professional" and "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition"
I would like to build a web application for my department.  But I found that both tools can be used to build a ASP web site.  What is the difference between these two tools ?  Do they function the same ?  You can review this online features matrix between all visual studio versionshttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx  Hosam Kamel Remember to click on Mark as answer on the post that helped you Have a look here http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2006/06/26/647516.aspx. Thanks----------------------------------------------------------...

Upgrading from "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" to "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2"
Newby question: I am learning ASP.NET and downloaded "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" in order to practice and learn the ropes.I just received "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2" and would like to upgrade. However, I haven't found any reference to removing "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" before installing "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2".Should I remove it?What do I need to back up before doing so?Thanks in advance,Ira I believe you can install VS on top of VWD. They, in fact, can coexits (although they will share some files).Thanks----------------------------------...

Visual Studio 2005. "Quick Find", "Quick Replace", "Find in Files", "Replace in Files" functionality no longer works
Hello, I just run into problem that find functionality is no longer working in Visual Studio 2005. "Quick Find", "Quick Replace", "Find in Files", "Replace in Files" functionality no longer responds. These are necessary functions when build any website. Any solutions on how to fix this problem?Improving lifestyles for luxury pets: TheFabulousPet In Menu bar click Window -> Reset Window Layout. It solves the problem.Improving lifestyles for luxury pets: TheFabulousPet...

Whan can i do? make "string" data type convert to "window" data type, and use a "window" name to get it ancestor "window name", thanks! i use pb5
Rich, With a string window name, you can open a window of that type if you need to. You could, of course, query that window object for any attributes. Another option is to use the LibraryExport function to export the definition of the window which is specified by the string. You can then parse the resulting file to get information on the ancestor object. HTH Sanjiv. "Rich" <windows_ce@netease.com> wrote in message news:2Xsr1WW0AHA.178@forums.sybase.com... > > > ...

re: "data" / mozilla's contemplation of "phorming" FF browsing data
Name: anon Email: useratdomaindotorg Product: Firefox Summary: re: "data" / mozilla's contemplation of "phorming" FF browsing data Comments: Are you serious? I have been a big proponent of Firefox and Mozilla products for quite some time now. And now I'm reading that the foundation is considering (or already decided upon) "anonymously" warehousing browsing data? I thought that you would be better than that; that you would be above these sorts of Orwellian shenanigans. It would appear that the user/consumer/joe average doesn't...

In Visual Studio 2005 whats difference between "new Project" and "new website".
In Visual Studio 2005 whats difference between "new Project" and "new website".  Is new project for non web realted stuff.   Hi Parms,New Project enables you to add projects to your solution for non-web related projects -- for example: windows applications, class libraries, etc.  New Website adds a project specific to web UI developmnet.Hope this helps,Scott Hi Scott --On a related subject: I've got a VS 2003 solution with three web apps. The third web app is really just a library of classes that are shared between the other two web apps.app_1: a real web app (references ...

Besides the new fixture "clear private data", please add "access private data through password"
Name: George Blay Email: G3Blay_at_aol.com Product: Firefox Summary: Besides the new fixture "clear private data", please add "access private data through password" Comments: Description given above. Some times you want to keep private data for your own use only, protected with a password. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b5) Gecko/20051006 Firefox/1.4.1 ...

"Unspecified Error" when generating a data set in VS .Net forms designer
Hi, all.I'm trying to generate a data set in the design mode of Visual Studio .Net. I've created a connection to my database and dragged a SqlConnection and SqlDataAdapter to my form.  However, when I right-click on sqlDataAdapter1 in my form and select "Generate Dataset..." I get an unspecified error.I've found a knowledge base article online that deals with the renaming of the data set in the schema once the data set is created, however, I can't even create the data set to begin with.http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816801Is there anyone who knows of a solu...

"Null" value as "No Data" in Gridview
I have a TextBox in GridView which is filled with database value... whenever the value is "Null" I want the textbox as "No Data" How to do it??? thanks in advance If you are using SQL Server you can do it in your SELECT statement just use isnull(ColumnName,'No Data'). For example:  SELECT isnull(CoName,'No Data') CoName, isnull(CoAddress,'No Address') CoAddress FROM Company Where.... I do not have access to DB.... so I want to do it in gridview... how to do it ???  how u r binding the grid?Thanks and RegardsKrish-I have not fai...

"Clear Private Data" misses some data
Name: Jian Li Email: jiandotliatyaledotedu Product: Firefox Summary: "Clear Private Data" misses some data Comments: On pages (such as popups) which have no visible URL bars, CTRL+L brings up an "Open web location" popup window in which one inputs the URL. The address in this window is NOT cleared after one clicks "Clear Private Data." Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.8) Gecko/20071008 Firefox/2.0.0.8 ...

Error found "Access to the path "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Crystal Reports\Viewers" is denied. "
Hi guys! i'm trying to solve the error "Err Msg: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" in ASP.NET app" but when i followed the instructions in the http://community.crystaldecisions.com/library/kbase/articles/c2011144.asp link, this error appeared ""Access to the path "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Crystal Reports\Viewers" is denied. " What's going on? i already went to the iis to add new virtual directory (CrystalReportWebFormViewer) but different error appeared when i compile and browse my application. pls help ...

"Replace Value" in the "Data Item Mapping"
Hi All, We use a few uax-classes with a set of Boolean attributes to control access in several applications. For permissions (change of Boolean attributes) we use the element of UA - "Entity". When assigning access everything works fine. But in some cases, I do not need to change existing attribute value (through the field with a type of "Replace Value" in the "Data Item Mapping"). If I did not return any values UA gives error "undefined value ....." Example, in Data Item Mapping for Boolean attribute: (function () ( if (flowdata.get ('St...

Web resources about - where isthe "Generate Data in Data" - asp.net.visual-studio-2005