VS 2003 1.1 and VS 2005 2.0

Hi there,

I have VS 2003 and .NET framework 1.1 installed on my computer. However, after attended the Launch of VS 2005 yesterday, I got free VS 2005 and I assuming it run on framework 2.0. My question is:

1) I knew that I can install both VS 2003 and VS 2005 in the same machine, however, can I install the .NET framework 1.1 and 2.0 in the same machine as well? Or I need to uninstall framework 1.1 and just make run 2.0. Note: I wanna keep working on my old apps in 1.1, but I also want to learn the new feature on 2.0.

So, is it possible, or I have to choose between those two to run on my computer.

Thanks,

Ron.
Best regards,

Ron.

0
ronnyr

Using IIS, you can assign a particular Framework version to a particular virtual folder/directory, so you can keep what you have running in 1.1 and put new stuff in another virtual directory and work with 2.0 items there

Or -  If you want, you can make the root folder where your older 1.1 stuff is located to work with 2.0 - - and go through the troubleshooting of all the pages, to make sure it all works.

It's up to you what you want to do.

David Wier
MCP/ASPInsider
ASPNet101.com - where to look first!
Please Vote for ASPNet101 - 'Best Community Resource'!
augustwind
11/18/2005 7:57:12 PM
Thanks augustwind,

So, I can have both framework installed on the same machine?

Am I right here, Apps build from VS 2003 can only run on framework 1.1, and VS 2005 can only compile and run on framework 2.0?

Thanks,

Ron.

Best regards,

Ron.

0
ronnyr
11/18/2005 8:04:33 PM
 augustwind wrote:

Using IIS, you can assign a particular Framework version to a particular virtual folder/directory

Hi augustwind,

How to assign a particular Framework version to a particular virtual folder?

Thanks,

Ron.

Best regards,

Ron.

0
ronnyr
11/18/2005 8:59:51 PM
Correct - you can have both framework versions side by side on the same machine.  Also VS 2003 can only be used to edit 1.1 apps/web sites and VS 2005 for 2.0 apps/web sites.  There are things you could do in VS 2005 to maintain 1.1 web sites incrementally, but it is not a recommended scenario

-- Bash

bash_MS
11/18/2005 9:52:28 PM
Thanks guys for all the inputs.

Ron.
Best regards,

Ron.

0
ronnyr

VS 2003 w/ Framework 1.1 AND VS 2005 w/ Framework 2.0
Hi there,I need more understanding here about VS 2003 w/ Framework 1.1 AND VS 2005 w/ Framework 2.0?So, we can have both VS 2003 (Framework 1.1) and VS 2005 (Framework 2.0) install on the same machine?Then, could apps from framework 1.1 run on framework 2.0 but not vice versa? However, apps 1.1 need to compile and run from the VS 2003.Please help me to understand these.Thanks,Ron.Best regards,Ron.  ronnyr wrote:Hi there,I need more understanding here about VS 2003 w/ Framework 1.1 AND VS 2005 w/ Framework 2.0?So, we can have both VS 2003 (Framework 1.1) and VS 2005 (Framework 2.0...

Why Visual Studio 2005 ask me to convert a solution already got converted Somebody did the conversion of a solution from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0 by using the automatic conversion wizard of Visual Stu
Why Visual Studio 2005 ask me to convert a solution already got converted Somebody did the conversion of a solution from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0 by using the automatic conversion wizard of Visual Studio 2005. Then, he changed to another company. Now, I take over his job. Unfortunately, when I attempted to open that solution, Visual Studio 2005 prompted me the conversion wizard again to forced me to perform a conversion on the solution. Does someone know why?--Harish Patel www.MicrosoftSQLandASP.netpatelharish@gmail.com Hi, How many projects are in the solution, does it have UNLOADE...

Migration issues in UI portion of .Net 1.1 from VS 2003 to VS 2005
Hi there, We are trying to migrate VS2003 app (client and web app) into VS 2005. We were successful compiling the application. But when we try to run the app from Web it gives us the following error: Unable to locate the file containing one of the providers referenced in web.config.  Please check your file and correct the errorCould not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\DDDD\UI\bin\some..dll' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. Everything seems to be going well but I am not sure what I need to do.Thanks JOhn   Hi John - Is the client app ...

Do I need VS 1.0 to install VS 2003 (.NET 1.1)?
I got a new computer where I will need to install my copies of VS 2003 and VS 2005.  All copies are legal with original disks.   I purchased VS 2003 as an upgrade to VS.NET that came before VS 2003.  Do I need to install that very first version 1.0 of VS in order to install VS 2003? Thank you in advance.   If it's an upgrade version, then you will need the previous version installed.Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you! Thank you for your reply.  However, I was hoping that VS 2003 coul...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003 #2

Changing from dotnet 1.1 to 2.0, vs 2003 -> 2005, Crystal XI to Cr XIR2
We have an older application which was written using vb.net (vs 2003) and Crystal XI.It now needs to be upgraded to vs 2005 and Crystal XI R2.In the old app we did not use a ConfigureCrystalReports() routine, and we did not bind to a data source.The report was bound to a dataset, and no credentials are in evidence as being passed to access this dataset. The dataset did NOT contain procedures and functions only tables.To run the report we had this code:Dim myDA As New SqlClient.SqlDataAdapterDim myDS As New dsJobOverView'Load the data set with the 'heading' informationLoadRep...

Visual Studio 2005 vs. Visual Studio 2005 BETA 2
In terms of functionality and features, I was wondering whether there any major differences between Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2005 Beta2. Thanks From the C# Windows Apps & Web Apps - pecadillos more than anything.  I have several sizeable projects in bothe.g. MDI child/parent Mensu/toolstrips no longer automergesome complaints about rafting property that no longer exists in Windows forms controlsIf it was easy, everybody would be doing it. The primary difference was mainly a lot of bug fixes.  Two areas that we enhanced were website projects and ...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003

Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition beta VS Visual Studio.net 2003
Is Visual C# 2005 Express Edition Beta better than Visual Studio.net 2003 ? HighOnCodingWanna get high! in my opinon no. vs.net 2003 is a released application, and is used for more than just c#. visual studio whidbey beta is pretty cool except it's a little quirky still. I swear I can't wait til august.Kay LeeMySpace.com - http://www.myspace.com/kragieInfrastructure GroupMySpace.com- Code to live, but Live to code. What are the odds of anything actually being released in august? What are the odds of anything actually being released in august? Zero. Is Visual C# 20...

Using Visual Studio.NET 2005 with .NET Framework 1.1
I'm wondering how easy it is to use Visual Studio.NET 2005 to develop with the .NET Framework 1.1. The 2005 IDE is superior to the VS 2003 IDE (especially in terms of HTML editing), and I would like to switch over in the future. However, my project is not quite ready to be converted to .NET 2.0. Can anyone direct me to an article on this or have any advice? Thanks, Allen K. There are 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't. Did you get an answer to this one? I would like to know the same..Thanks! The VS 2005 IDE was created to...

.NET 1.0 vs 1.1
I am using DNN 1.0.10c. Whenever I make changes to the source code, I recompile it with Visual Studio .net and the .NET Framework 1.0. I also have Visual Studio .NET 2003 available to me. Is it safe for me to use this version of VS, as then I can take advantage of the 1.1 version of the framework? Or is DNN not 1.1 & vs2003 compatable? Thanks! I installed 1.1 as soon as it came out and use it with VS 02 with no issue to report. Recently I installed 03 and I don’t have any issue with that either. However, Colleague still runs VS02 so I am still running 02 on some of the pr...

I haven't seen this anywhere, so I figured I would add it here. First of all, it is incorrect to recommend to anyone that who has VS.NET 2002 to do ANYTHING but first install VS.NET 2002. The installl order for VS.NET 2002 and .Net Framwork 1.1 SHOULD BE: 0. Install ALL windows updates for your pc EXCEPT FOR .NET Framwork 1.1 1. Install VS.NET 2002 2. Install MSDE that comes w/VS.NET 2002 (USE A NAMED INSTANCE! Never usee the default instance) 2. Install MDAC 2.8 3. Install .Net Framework 1.1 4. SOMEHOW GET RID OF .NET Framework and get VS.NET and IIS 5.x to work w...

Cannot open DNN3.1 in VS.NET
When I try to open the DotNetNuke.sln file in Visual Studio.net I get an error for the Web project DotNetNuke:"Visual Studio.NET cannot create or open the application. The likeliest problem is that required components are not installed on the local Web Server.Run Visual Studio .NET setup and add the Web Development component"I  allready did some development with DNN3.0.11, in the same VS.NETwhat do I need to do to get this working?And what is the difference between 3.1.0 and 3.0.13. Why aren't all the files present in the 3.1.0 zip file??I unzipped 3.0.13 into a folder and put 3.1.0 ove...

Web resources about - VS 2003 1.1 and VS 2005 2.0 - asp.net.visual-studio-2005

Will Apple Pay launch in China in time for Chinese New Year?
Apple Pay 's quest for global domination continues. Following successful launches in the US and the UK, the company recently expanded to Australia ...

Stories of Those Who Died in the Paris Attacks
Stories of those who died in the Paris attacks

The Daily Agenda for Tuesday, November 24
TODAY’S AGENDA is brought to you by: From the Village Voice , July 7, 1970, page 8. ( Source .) TODAY IN HISTORY: ► Berkeley’s KPFA Broadcasts ...

Google's made several 'Star Wars' VR experiences for Cardboard
Turns out there's more to Google's collaboration with Disney for the upcoming Star Wars flick. In addition to dressing up your Google services ...

Suspect dead after shooting kills 3 in Ohio, injures 4th
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Columbus police said they are trying to determine why a man fatally shot a couple and their 7-year-old son and critically ...

Almost all donated organs unused in China: report
Almost all human organs donated for transplant in China go unused, state-run media said, after years of controversy about the use of body parts ...

ACLU sues Indiana governor over refusal to resettle Syrian refugees
Pence is one of more than 25 U.S. governors, mostly Republicans, who have publicly called on President Barack Obama to stop resettling Syrian ...

FAA publishes drone registration recommendations: You must be 13 to enter
The Federal Aviation Administration has released a task force’s recommendations for setting up a registration system for recreational drones ...

Futurama is coming back as a mobile game
After being canceled, resurrected, and canceled again, Futurama is coming back — this time as a mobile game. Matt Groening's sci-fi cartoon universe ...

Google can remotely access 74% of Android devices if court ordered
A fact not known by most, a document posted on Reddit has revealed that, if ordered by a court, Apple and Google can remotely change your passcode ...