Difference Between Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects

....what's the difference? Web App Projects sounds like everythng I want, but what does it do that Web Deployment doesn't?
0
BoulderBum

First of all, here are two highly recommended blog posts that you may want to read about Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects.

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/12/07/432630.aspx

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx

In a nutshell, a web deployment project is associated with a web site project and is a step that you may want to take before your deploy your application.  You can do post processing on your web - for example you can merge the precompiled assemblies, apply config transformations, etc. as part of this step.

A web appication project is more or less like a VS 2003 web project and the development model in Visual Studio is very similar to 2003 as well.

If you liked the VS 2003 model, then this is something for you to look at.  Note however that this is an early preview of the add-in and has limitations currently. If you like the VS 2005 web site and dynamic compliation model, then a web site + web deployment project is the way to go.

Hope this helps.

-- Bash

bash_MS
12/30/2005 10:36:10 PM
Awesome. Thanks, Bash.
0
BoulderBum

Website Project vs. Web Application Project in Visual Studio.net 2005
 Website Project vs. Web Application Project in Visual Studio.net 2005 What are the main benefits of using a Web App project over a Website project or vice-versa? Web App Project: You have to jump through hoops to use edit and continue with a Web App where in a website it just works. I’ve figured this out with the help of ScottGu. Thanks! http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/05/08/VS-2005-Web-Application-Project-V1.0-Released.aspx Web App Project: what are the *.aspx.designer.cs files for? Website Project: how do you set up the project to use a ...

What's the different of Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects ?
What's the different of Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects ?I have read some articles about WAP and WDP, but i feel confuse between WAP / WDP and  aspnet_compiler.exe under .NET Framework folder .because all of them is use for deploy the web application and compile the resource (eg. *.VB, *.aspx ,*.ASCX etc...) to a single or mutli assambly Library, so i wonder what the different between them. i can using aspnet_compiler.exe to compile a library simply , so why i need WAP / WDP?My Blog : http://mingalive.mysinablog.comMy Web : http://www.aspvista.net ...

Web Application Projects with Web Deployment Projects...
Hi there,  Does anyone have any experience in using the Web Deployment Project pieces to deploy Web Application style projects (rather than the web site projects model)? We have a rather larger eCommerce site that uses WAP model (it was originally a website model, but we ran into so many problems with compile times, temp .dll file lockups at compile etc that we moved it to WAP a long time ago). What's strange is that the project compiles fine normally when we're not using the Web Deployment Project and everything is fine. However, the second we hook the WDP stuff up, we'r...

Web Application Project and Web Deployment Project
I went to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336619.aspx and downloaded the web deployment project. Installed it and tried to create a deployment project for my web application project. However, I do not get the menu item. I've tried this with existing WAP's, new WAP's, but no luck. I have VS 2005 team developer, with SP1 and Team Explorer installed.I've tried the steps mentioned through out this post: http://forums.asp.net/thread/1502324.aspx but still have no luck in getting the menu item.Any help would be appreciatedWayne...

Web Deployment Project with Web Application Project
I currently have a working Solution that contains 3 VB class library projects and one Web Application Project and it is working fine. I would like to use the web.config replacement functionality from the Web Deployment Projects. I add a Web Deployment project and keep the defaults, and the build is broken. Whenever I try to build, I get the following error: error ASPPARSE: Could not load type 'MyWebApp.Page1'. Done building project "MyWebApp.vbproj_deploy.wdproj" -- FAILED. I have searched on this and found some information, but it doesn't seem to help. I&#...

Web Deployment Project and Web Application Project
 Hi! Maybe I have missed something, but shouldn't there be possible to do a web deployment project of a web application project? I have followed this guide http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479568.aspx, but  I can't get it to work without building the web application project first. With TFSBuild it fails even if I build the web application first. The error looks like this: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_compiler.exe -v /WebDepWeb.csproj -p <MySourceFolder>\WebDepWeb -f <MySourceFolder>\WebDepBuild\Binaries\Release\_PublishedWebsi...

Error when Deploying and Signing Web Application project with Web Deployment project
I have a Web Application project that needs to be deployed and signed using Web Deployment projects. When I delete the global.ascx file I'm able to do the deployment and sign the output assembly. The error I'm getting without signing the assemblies is "An error occurred when merging assemblies: ILMerge.Merge: The target assembly 'HelloWorld' lists itself as an external reference.” .  Global.ascx or .asax? The usual cause of a signing error is when a reference is not signed.  Is the global.asax.cs or .vb marked as conte...

Web Deployment Project deploying files not included by Web Application Project
Recently my boss asked me to find a way to share a web site project between 2 separate projects which will only share a subset of the files in the folder.  I created 2 web applications projects in the folder and eliminated the web site project.  I discovered when I publish the web application projects, that it wasn't compiling the .as*x pages, so I looked into web deployment projects.  The problem I'm having with web deployment projects is that when I build them from the solution configuration, it copies all the files in the web project to the deployment folder and I c...

Difference between Web Site Project, and Web Application Project?
Hi - can anyone please explain, in simple terms, what the difference is between a Web Site Project, and a Web Application Project? I've read Scotts blog at http://webproject.scottgu.com/VisualBasic/Migration/Migration.aspx - but am none the wiser. I'm about to upgrade from VS2003 to VS2005 - and don't want to waste a lot of time upgrading existing 2003 web apps to 2005 web site projects, if web application projects are more appropriate. Thanks for any guidance, Mark Hi.I have exactly the same question, and can't find any information about it.Can anyone help us?Sérgio Also i...

Web Application Projects & Web Deployment Projects
What is the difference between both? I can't find the answer! thanks Hi, A Web Application Project (WAP) is simply another project model aprt from the default Website Model in VS 2005. WAP is similar to VS 2003 web project model. http://webproject.scottgu.com Whereas a Web Deployment Project(WDP) is used to deploy a web project and provides flexiblity while deployment. See this link for details: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx Hope this helps, VivekSocial Networking Platform in ASP.NET || Join now: CodeASP.NET Community Please mark the most helpful repl...

Web Deployment Project failing for Web Application Project
I have a solution containing 40+ projects including a Web Application Project and Web Deployment Project.  When I compile the solution excluding the WDP, it is successful.  When compiling including the WDP, it fails.  The failures are odd because they include compile time errors with the user controls code-behind complaining ala: Error 19 'Picis.Web.Applications.UserPreferences.UserPreference' does not contain a definition for 'GetCategoryName' c:\PWA\Development\Sources\PicisWeb\Picis.Web\Apps\UserProfile\UserPreferences\Engine\UserProfileEngine.ascx.cs 4...

VS 2005 SP1 + .NET AJAX => automatically adds web.config in nested Web Application Project when opening project or solution
I get a 'Configuration Error' on an aspx page because VS added automatically a web.config to my nested Web Application Project where no web.config file should be. This effect I have noticed since I have installed SP1 and .NET AJAX Extensions. Why is VS 2005 adding the web.config file and how can I disable this behavior? Following is the content of the automatically added web.config file (comments omitted): <?xml version="1.0"?><configuration>    <appSettings/>    <connectionStrings/>    <system.web> &...

How to deploy .net project via 'copy project' in Visual Studio from your local machine to your web development server
Hi ,My IT Director has resigned and I am stuck in the middle of doing his all tasks. For safety reason we removed all functionalities from the developers to deploy any project and only given to IT director. He refuse to help me as he is having problem with the management. I have got a video tutorial for deplying project but not very helpful.Would any body kindly describe the steps required to setup a .net project or any tutorial can be recommended. I have setup website in IIS and pressing 'Copy Project' button in visual studio .net. The dialog box comes and ask me destination project folder ...

Difference between Web Site project and (NEW) Web application project?
Hi there,i have been reading about the new Web application project (addon) for Visual Studio 2005, all sounds really nice but i just can't put my finger on it...Whats the differences really? And why is  one better than the other?I also read about the Visual studio 2005 Web deployment projects, which from what i can gather allows us to deploy our code like back in 2003 i..e. with a BIN directory  and dll which is the compiled code behind stuff..are these in anyway linked together?Thanks in advacne for any info..Best rregardsIan Have a look here http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/arch...

Web resources about - Difference Between Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects - asp.net.visual-studio-2005

Development application for Holt golf course land open for public inspection
The developers selling 350 dwellings on disused parts of the Holt golf course have submitted their development application for public inspection. ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 24% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Surve Mortgage applications decreased 3.2 percent from one week earlier, according ...

Mortgage applications fall 3.2%
A definitive rise in mortgage interest rates over the last month is keeping borrowers at bay.

Thousands of Java applications vulnerable to nine-month-old exploit
A popular Java library has a serious vulnerability, discovered over nine months ago, that continues to put thousands of Java applications and ...