Convert from string to integer and vice versa

I’m new to Visual Basic and am developing my first web application with VB. It’s based on at skeleton script from my host provider. It’s a form where users fill in some data, which I validate with the VB script, before the data are sent with an e-mail. I’ve mostly been able to turn the skeleton script into an application which suits my needs, but I’ve run into some problems with code which should be trivial. I need to convert from string to integer and vice versa. I’ve been searching the web, and this forum, for information on how to do this. I’ve found several ways to convert. Strangely none of them works for me. I’ve tried the following, where j is my integer variable and str is my string:

j = Val(str)

j = int32.parse(str)

j = parseInt(str)

j = int.parse(str)

 None of them seem to work. For a test I used the following code:

j = 5

j = int.parse("12")

Response.Write " j: " & j

The result displayed is

j: 5

while it should have been j: 12

Instead of j = int.parse("12") I've tried each of the following:

j = Val("12")

j = int32.parse("12")

j = parseInt("12")

Every time the result displayed is:

j: 5

To me it appears as if the line of code where j is set to an integer converted from the string simply is skipped and not executed.

I've spent hours searching for solutions and trying variations of this code, to no avail.

Can someone please help with what should be a very trivial thing?

And I also need to know what code snippet to use to convert an integer to a string.

I'm not sure which version of VB is supported by my web host provider (enom.com). I might add that if I try to explicitly define a data type, like:

Dim j As Integer

I get this error message:

Expected end of statement

Dim j As Integer

------^

Though the construct

int j

works fine.

0
TheCurious

I may aid if you could explain more clear;

I've never seen "dim j as integer" wrong way is! So, although I use it stupidly ways, it works!! and how/where/which way did you use..

- AnythinG eXists -
0
monurce
10/18/2007 2:34:19 PM

Did more searches on the web. Found this construct:

j = Cint(str)

It works and converts the string str to the integer j! Vice versa:

str = Cstr(j)

converts the integer j to the string str.

Problem solved!

0
TheCurious

Converting Visual Basic 6 to Visual Basic .NET
Hi, I found this program that would get the mac address of a computer given its IP. I converted it into vb.net and it gave 2 errors. It said that I couldn't use "any" in declarations, so I found out what variable it was tryign to pass and changed the any to that data type. Now, the program will start in vb.net... but when I click the button, it returns the wrong mac address, while the one in vb6 returned the correct one.All you have to do is add 2 textboxes to the form and 1 button, dont change their names.::::::::::VB6 CODE::::::::::Option ExplicitPrivate Const NO_ERROR = 0Private Declare F...

Visual Basic.NET or Visual Studio.NET?

Visual Studio .Net? Visual Basic .Net?

What are the diff. visual basic 6 and vb.net ? How to convert the VB6 project to vb.net proj ?
What are the diff. visual basic 6 and vb.net ? How to convert the VB6 project to vb.net proj ? with code and interface too. There are entire forums dedicated to the differences between the two, and to convert your projects you should try the upgrade wizard in Visual Studio....

Why Visual Studio 2005 ask me to convert a solution already got converted Somebody did the conversion of a solution from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0 by using the automatic conversion wizard of Visual Stu
Why Visual Studio 2005 ask me to convert a solution already got converted Somebody did the conversion of a solution from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0 by using the automatic conversion wizard of Visual Studio 2005. Then, he changed to another company. Now, I take over his job. Unfortunately, when I attempted to open that solution, Visual Studio 2005 prompted me the conversion wizard again to forced me to perform a conversion on the solution. Does someone know why?--Harish Patel www.MicrosoftSQLandASP.netpatelharish@gmail.com Hi, How many projects are in the solution, does it have UNLOADE...

ADO.NET Programming in Visual Basic .NET
Has anyone read "ADO.NET Programming in Visual Basic .NET, Second Edition" by Steve Holzner (Author), Bob Howell (Author)? I am trying to working on a project and there are a few things that I need to tie up quickly in my web forms. Is this book a good one? karls------------------------------------'Old and wrinkled is not what I expected to become when I grew up!'...

C# Visual Basic.NET JScript.NET what should I choose ?
I'm just a beginner with programing ASP.NET web sistes. Unfortunatelly I don't know any of the languages supported by ASP. (By the time I programmed in DELPHI and SQL) So I should start to learn one of the languages. Could somebody help me to choose the language I should use ? Which and why ? Thanks in advance, Gonzi Use C# or VB.NET, which ever you are comfortable with. Go here to see sample of both in use http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/aspplus Ultimately, once you get more advanced, you'll really want to become comfortable with both languages. I ...

Convert VBA Code to Visual Basic .NET When Migrating to Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office
followup to grc.techtalk Convert VBA Code to Visual Basic .NET When Migrating to Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/odc_vsto2005_ta/html/OfficeVSTOLanguageMigrationFromVBA.asp ----------------------------------------------------------- Quote ----------------------------------------------------------- Dale Oberg ArtinSoft.com March 2005 Applies to: �����Microsoft�Visual�Studio�2005 �����Microsoft�Visual�Studio�2005�Tools�for�the�Microsoft�Office�System �����Microsoft�Visual�Basic�.NET �����Microsoft�Visual�...

Can I go from VS .NET 2003 to Visual Basic .NET 2003?
Hi, I just developed a commercial application using the trial version of Visual Studio .NET 2003.  My trial is about to expire.  I was hoping .NET 2.0 would be released by now, but that is obviously months away so I'm wondering if I could save a few hundred bucks by buying Visual Basic .NET 2003(around $110 i think) instead of having to buy Visual Studio .NET 2003, which I believe is up around $600 or so.   All my code is Visual Basic, so that's why I'm thinking that's all I need.  And it's mostly web development that I do if that matters.  T...

Is there any function to convert string to integer in VB.net?
Is there any function to convert string to integer in VB.net? thank you very much.As Heinlein said "specialization is for insects" explore beyond the universe. Hi There, You can do this Dim Val as String = "50" Dim i As Integer = Convert.ToInt32(Val)DC517Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved. thank you very much dennisAs Heinlein said "specialization is for insects" explore beyond the universe. Hi There, No problem, always welcome...

Web resources about - Convert from string to integer and vice versa - asp.net.visual-basic.net

$100 device converts all your film to digital photos
... still on film negatives. Today, we've got the perfect Amazon Cyber Week deal for you: A Wolverine F2D Mighty 20MP 7-in-1 Film to Digital Converter ...

"ISIS 'ranks' the women, considering foreign women and converts to be especially 'valuable.' "
"According to French journalist Anna Erelle’s recent exposé , ISIS foreign fighters prefer foreign women and converts because the jihadists find ...