Unable to make the session state request

We use the asp .net state service in our application (.NET Framework Version: 2.0.50727.832, IIS: 6.0). From time to time we're getting errors like the following on our production machines (not reproducable on development, test and prelive machines):
Event code: 3009
Event message: Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Details: last phase='Reading response from the state server', error code=0x80072746, size of outgoing data=4089442

I assume, that it has something to do with the session size, because whenever we get the error, it has a size of outgoing data > 4000000 (~4 MB). I couldn't find anything in the web about such a limit. Is there such a limit? And if so, why doesn't it show up on all machines?

0
TheLemming
5/13/2008 12:56:27 PM
📁 asp.net.state-management
📃 8807 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 2 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1582 Views

Do the errors continue until you reboot the session state service?  It sounds like you are pushing the boundaries on what session state is able to support, and the service is crashing.  You can try moving over to storing the session in sql and see if that helps, but I think the long term solution is to rework your app so that you don't have to store such large objects in session.
0
ely79
5/13/2008 1:37:27 PM
Yes, we did a restart of the session state service and the problems reappeared. What's really strange, is that I can't reproduce the behaviour on my machine. I even put tons of dummy data into the session, but all I got was a OutOfMemory exception.

0
TheLemming