Unable to make the session state request

We use the asp .net state service in our application (.NET Framework Version: 2.0.50727.832, IIS: 6.0). From time to time we're getting errors like the following on our production machines (not reproducable on development, test and prelive machines):

Event code: 3009
Event message: Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Details: last phase='Reading response from the state server', error code=0x80072746, size of outgoing data=4089442

I assume, that it has something to do with the session size, because whenever we get the error, it has a size of outgoing data > 4000000 (~4 MB). I couldn't find anything in the web about such a limit. Is there such a limit? And if so, why doesn't it show up on all machines?

0
TheLemming

Do the errors continue until you reboot the session state service?  It sounds like you are pushing the boundaries on what session state is able to support, and the service is crashing.  You can try moving over to storing the session in sql and see if that helps, but I think the long term solution is to rework your app so that you don't have to store such large objects in session.

0
ely79
5/13/2008 1:37:27 PM
Yes, we did a restart of the session state service and the problems reappeared. What's really strange, is that I can't reproduce the behaviour on my machine. I even put tons of dummy data into the session, but all I got was a OutOfMemory exception.
0
TheLemming

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server
Hi all, I'm working on the website http://universityauction.net and I was using session variables using InProc session mode to manage session state. This worked fine until I put the website in a load balanced environment, as inproc sessions get lost when jumping from server to server. I decided to move to a state server mode, so I changed my web.config to: <sessionState             mode="StateServer"             stateConnectionString="tcpip=123.456.7.8:42424"      ...

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server.
 Hello,           I’m receiving this error when I put my website on production."Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same.  If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aspnet_state\Parameters\AllowRemoteConnection.  If the server is on the local machine, and if the before men...

Error: Unable to make the session state request to the session state server
I have session configured in web.config this way:<sessionState mode="StateServer" cookieless="true", timeout="30" stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424" />  ASP.NET State Service is started.   I got an error:  Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same.  If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentContr...

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server #2
We have recently started receiving these errors in the event viewer. We are using the out of proc state server on the same machine. The errors become more frequent, almost like it snowballs until users cannot work. System Info: Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2 , 4 GB of RAM, IIS 6.0, Asp.Net 2.0. What I know for certain: The state server is started and running Recycling the app pool nor restarting IIS fixes the problem Rebooting the machine DOES temporarily fix the problem. I changed the stateNetworkTimeout from 10 to 20 in webconfig and that had no effect. There is usuall...

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server etc.
We are getting an error message "Unable to make the session state request to the session state server..." sporadically in one of our applications.  We have several applications running on a 4-server web farm, and these applications have been in production for a year, so it is not a problem that the server is not reachable, not started, not addressed correctly, etc etc etc. One of the applications *does* put a lot of large datasets into session state.  Is there a limit on the allowable size of a session/cached object?  Also, the application opens several windows at once, ...

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server
 We have a web application in our school called CHECM. We are experiencing a high volume of ASP.NET State Server errors throughout this month. These errors have been occurring since 7/11/2006.   Our Session State Mode has been --------------------------------------------------------- <sessionState mode="StateServer" stateConnectionString="tcpip=CHECM:42424" timeout="20" stateNetworkTimeout="30"/>     Here is the Error we get randomly Exception: System.Web.HttpException Message: Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. P...

Visual Studio 2005
 Hi, I have recently been given a PC with Vista on it, and installed Visual Studio 2005 pro. I then moved a ASP.net web project from an XP machine to the Vista one. When I run the project from inside Visual Studio (debug mode) everything works fine on the front end of the website, but if I try and log in I get the following error:  Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same.  If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that i...

Error message
Hello,I have developed an ASP.NET c# application.I have a "Reports" page in which i put the the report's DataTable in a session (to use it later on for paging and sorting).This works on my localhost but on production I get the follwong error:Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same.  If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic...

Good news for those of you who get "Unable to make the session state request to the session state server." error..
Dear all,Due to the known problem of session variables getting lost if using InProc-server during frequent changes in development, I had to choose between SQL and ASP.NET State server, so I opted for the second. Initially, all fine, but after using it for a few days, I started to get this error: Server Error in '/cv2' Application.Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same.  If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accep...

Unable to make the session state request to
Here is the Error we get randomly Annoyed me to death and could not figure out , I am hoping that someone might have experienced similar problem Exception: System.Web.HttpException Message: Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same.  If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aspnet_state\Parameters\AllowRemoteConnecti...

Unable to use session state server....requires session state server version 2.0 or above.
So, I have Windows 2003 IIS latest service packs running. Its running .NET 2.0 and .NET 1.1 applications in seperate application pools. Just today I applied the following patch to the server. (The server is not running any 3.0 or 3.5 applications or application pools)  Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86 Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a full cumulative update that contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and includes cumulative servicing upda...

Unable to serialize the session state. Please note that non-serializable objects or MarshalByRef objects are not permitted when session state mode is 'StateServer' or 'SQLServer'
 Hi,We are trying to implement Network loading for our asp.net (1.1) application for which we are storing the session in State Server.Following is the error is thrown while page is rendered when ever is a DTO is stored in to SEssion in any of the page.Unable to serialize the session state. Please note that non-serializable objects or MarshalByRef objects are not permitted when session state mode is 'StateServer' or 'SQLServer' Following the code I written for DTO (C# Asp.net 1.1).     using System;    using System.Runtime.Serializa...

Usage scenarios for view state, session state, application state, cookies
Hi Guys, Im a college student in London with exams starting Monday on ASP.NET with C#.  Id be so grateful if you could provide me with solid real world scenarios/examples of when you would use the following to maintain state and why you would use them in that instance:   View State Session State Application State Cookies Also when would you use SOAP instead of the REST architecture and vice versa and why - again real world usage scenarios?  I note Amazon's web service uses the REST architecture - why is this, why dont they use SOAP. Id be grateful for a timely respon...

Session State and View State
Hi Everyone, Can anybody tellme how are these used in context with ASP.NeT whats their sole purpose?.....and where in programming we use  them? Any links or sources would be good which explains in simple terms.   thanks Simi  ThanksSimi------------&------------"To learn to succeed, you must first learn to fail." -Michael Jordan Here is one of the discussion http://forums.asp.net/t/1145838.aspxMPI never desire to converse with a man who has written more than he hasread. -Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)  Hi There is a video tutorial a...

Web resources about - Unable to make the session state request - asp.net.state-management

Barack Obama speech to joint session of Congress, February 2009 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Obama's first State of the Union Address was the 2010 State of the Union Address . The speech was delivered on the floor of the chamber of the ...

Wall St ends shortened session steady - Business Spectator
US markets lack direction in abbreviated post-Thanksgiving trading session.

Perth pub, nightclub opening hours to extend - Sunday Sessions, WA
AS THE east coast of Australia cracks down on late-night drinking, Western Australia is heading in the opposite direction.

Tomas Cubelli arrives in Canberra as Brumbies land blows at AIS boxing session
An immigration hold-up and passport confusion threatened to delay Tomas Cubelli's ACT Brumbies' arrival.

S&P 500 ends flat in holiday-shortened session
The S&P 500 closed little changed on Friday, a fourth straight day of declines, amid weakness in energy and Walt Disney.

GoPro Hero4 Session gets $100 price cut, Xiaomi Yi launches in US
When GoPro introduced the Session action camera in its Hero4 line, it made the mistake of offering the new model at the same price point as the ...

The North Pole is Back in Session
Santa doesn't spread cheer across the globe all by himself. As soon as the first frost is on the mistletoe, hundreds of helpful elves work day ...

Should We Fear Peak Human?: Master Post for Uncharted 2015 Brad DeLong-Peter Leyden Session
**Jennie Eliot**: Your Uncharted Interview Video: To Brad, Peter.... >All links in one place: >* [Full video with highlights](http://reinven ...

TWIABP filmed a live session video for "I Can Be Afraid of Anything," add 2nd NYC show to tour
photo: TWIABP at LPR in August (more by Mimi Hong) The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die is on tour now supporting this ...

Saturday Sessions: Jeff Lynne of "Jeff Lynne's ELO" plays "When I was a boy" - Videos - CBS News
Jeff Lynne is one of the most influential rock musicians and producers ever, and is now leading a 21st-century version of a hit-making powerhouse. ...