Session State in VS.Net - Please Help !

Hi..

I have an ASP background with very little VB. I'm trying to integrate a transactional app into DotNetNuke. The trans app uses session state to verify userid. I dont want to change all the code in the trans. app so I thought updating the following code to include Session("UID") = userId in signin.ascs.vb would do the trick but it doesnt appear to be storing the userid into state. Does anyone know what the problem might be ?
If blnLogin Then
' Attempt to Validate User Credentials
Dim userId As Integer = objSecurity.UserLogin(txtUsername.Text, txtPassword.Text, _portalSettings.PortalId)
Session("UID") = userId
If userId >= 0 Then
' Use security system to set the UserID within a client-side Cookie
FormsAuthentication.SetAuthCookie(userId.ToString(), chkCookie.Checked)
' Redirect browser back to home page
Response.Redirect(Request.RawUrl, True)
Else
lblMessage.Text = "Login Failed"