Session State and View State

Hi Everyone,

Can anybody tellme how are these used in context with ASP.NeT

whats their sole purpose?.....and where in programming we use  them?

Any links or sources would be good which explains in simple terms.

thanks

Simi

Thanks
Simi
------------&------------
"To learn to succeed, you must first
learn to fail." -Michael Jordan
0
siminet

Here is one of the discussion http://forums.asp.net/t/1145838.aspx
MP

I never desire to converse with a man who has written more than he has
read. -Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)
0
mihirpathak
7/14/2008 7:39:05 PM

 Hi

 There is a video tutorial available in this link: http://www.asp.net/learn/videos/video-11.aspx

other links: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms972429.aspx
                 http://aspnetresources.com/articles/ViewState.aspx

I think these will help you to understand  Session State and View State

Regurds
zahid
If you get the answer to your question, please mark it as the answer.

0
zahidnub445

Usage scenarios for view state, session state, application state, cookies
Hi Guys, Im a college student in London with exams starting Monday on ASP.NET with C#.  Id be so grateful if you could provide me with solid real world scenarios/examples of when you would use the following to maintain state and why you would use them in that instance:   View State Session State Application State Cookies Also when would you use SOAP instead of the REST architecture and vice versa and why - again real world usage scenarios?  I note Amazon's web service uses the REST architecture - why is this, why dont they use SOAP. Id be grateful for a timely respon...

session state faster than view state??
Hello, I have been told not to use session state because we will potentially have a server farm. However, my web page runs MUCH slower with view state than session state. In debug, it takes 60-90 seconds before I even hit the breakpoint on the page load event. It is also considerably slower out of debug. I need to potentially save a large dataset of information. Is this difference expected or is there something wrong with my project. If its my project, can you give me some ideas of where to look for problems? Thanks in advance. Session state stays on the server, wehreas ViewSta...

session vs caching vs control state vs view state
difference between session and cache and view state and control state which is used at what time and for what purpose exactly Hi,this article explains it the best: ASP.NET: Nine Options for Managing Persistent User State in Your ASP.NET Application.Grz, Kris.  Read my blog. Handy Firefox plugins for web developers.Workaround for non working Mark as answer buttons....

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server
Hi all, I'm working on the website http://universityauction.net and I was using session variables using InProc session mode to manage session state. This worked fine until I put the website in a load balanced environment, as inproc sessions get lost when jumping from server to server. I decided to move to a state server mode, so I changed my web.config to: <sessionState             mode="StateServer"             stateConnectionString="tcpip=123.456.7.8:42424"      ...

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server.
 Hello,           I’m receiving this error when I put my website on production."Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same.  If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aspnet_state\Parameters\AllowRemoteConnection.  If the server is on the local machine, and if the before men...

doubt in application state and session state
Is it right, application state stores value for a web application, but session state stores value for a specific user over a website? Yes... but can I know the purpose of this specific question...This article has simple and effective instructionshttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/307598  Thanks and RegardsS.K.Vignesh----------------------Do remember to "Mark as answer" for this post or the post that helped you solve the issue  Ok, I did some reading on application state as I've not really used it but, in general you statement is correct.  Application State store...

Session state, app state or class?
    Greetings     I developing an application which will load a number of panels onto a page    The number of panels to display on the page will depend on data which was     stored in a sql db during setup phase    Which is the most effecient way to get that data?    1) run a class on the server which gets the data from the db and sends it to        the browser each time the page is displayed     2) run the class on the server on app start and then ...

What is application state dan session state?
Hello everybody,i want to ask what is application state and when we use it. Can you give me the example... I want to ask again, if i use session and many user visit my website the session for the users is different or same..?Thank you very much...   Hi,The best place to learn is the quickstartsUnderstanding Applications and State Regards  ASP.NET Hosting (HostingFest)...

Error: Unable to make the session state request to the session state server
I have session configured in web.config this way:<sessionState mode="StateServer" cookieless="true", timeout="30" stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424" />  ASP.NET State Service is started.   I got an error:  Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same.  If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentContr...

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server #2
We have recently started receiving these errors in the event viewer. We are using the out of proc state server on the same machine. The errors become more frequent, almost like it snowballs until users cannot work. System Info: Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2 , 4 GB of RAM, IIS 6.0, Asp.Net 2.0. What I know for certain: The state server is started and running Recycling the app pool nor restarting IIS fixes the problem Rebooting the machine DOES temporarily fix the problem. I changed the stateNetworkTimeout from 10 to 20 in webconfig and that had no effect. There is usuall...

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server etc.
We are getting an error message "Unable to make the session state request to the session state server..." sporadically in one of our applications.  We have several applications running on a 4-server web farm, and these applications have been in production for a year, so it is not a problem that the server is not reachable, not started, not addressed correctly, etc etc etc. One of the applications *does* put a lot of large datasets into session state.  Is there a limit on the allowable size of a session/cached object?  Also, the application opens several windows at once, ...

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server
 We have a web application in our school called CHECM. We are experiencing a high volume of ASP.NET State Server errors throughout this month. These errors have been occurring since 7/11/2006.   Our Session State Mode has been --------------------------------------------------------- <sessionState mode="StateServer" stateConnectionString="tcpip=CHECM:42424" timeout="20" stateNetworkTimeout="30"/>     Here is the Error we get randomly Exception: System.Web.HttpException Message: Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. P...

View State and JS State Myth Table
Hi,   Below are the figures of Data Change/State Chagne on Simple Postback operations.     View State = False Changeability Visibility   Disability Label Dependent - Become Declarative Value Dependent – Become Visible Dependent - Become Enable Button Dependent - Become Declarative Value Dependent – Become Visible Dependent - Become Enable DropDown InDependent – Maintain Server Changes Dependent – Become Visible Dependent - Become Enable TextBox InDependent – Maintain Serve...

Session State vs Profile State Which is Better?
  I have a site where everyone must log in, and each user can only see data that they are authorized to see. Currently, I'm storing several key items (UserID, DisplayName, etc.) in Session state to make them easy to access across the entire site. I have a few questions: Is there any problem with using Session state? Some people say the IIS server is restarted often for reliability. Not sure this is true, but it would cause a problem for anyone on the site when the restart happens. I believe using Profiles will hit the DB every time I use a Profile variable. Is this corr...

Web resources about - Session State and View State - asp.net.state-management

Joint session of the United States Congress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Joint sessions of the United States Congress are the gatherings together of both houses of the United States Congress (the House of Representatives ...

Australia v West Indies: New year nets session to decide Peter Siddle's fate
Peter Siddle and Josh Hazlewood's hopes of playing in the Sydney Test will be more apparent on Friday but Australia coach Darren Lehmann won't ...

Is this the world’s first full virtual-reality motion/voice capture session?
Actors combine mo-cap suit, HTC Vive to become characters, see virtual teleprompters. Forget latex suits and white ping-pong balls. Motion-capture ...

PAUL RYAN WHINES: Cruz and Sessions Lying About Omnibus Funding New Wave of Muslim Migration
By Julia Hahn In a Tuesday morning interview with radio host Bill Bennett, House Speaker Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) implied that prominent conservative ...

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy releasing compilation of Peel Sessions, shares new version of "Rich Wife Full of ...
by Andrew Sacher Bonnie 'Prince' Billy (aka Will Oldham) is releasing Pond Scum on January 22 via Drag City. It's a collection of Peel Sessions ...

Venkaiah Naidu attacks Chidambaram, hopes GST passes in Budget session
Naidu alleged that as per the 'script', the Congress was 'dodgy' on this important issue

Saturday Sessions: Andra Day performs "Rise Up"
Andra Day had a breakout year in 2015, with the release of her first studio album and her first headline tour

Orrin Evans Searches for 'The Evolution of Oneself,' Smoke Sessions Records (REVIEW)
It's a Philly thing, man. It's also a family thing. For his 26th album, pianist Orrin Evans has formed his dream trio.

Dow Jones Industrial Average Down on Final Session of 2015
Dow Jones Industrial Average Down on Final Session of 2015

Donald Trump Causes Kerfuffle At NBC TCA Exec Session
Donald Trump continues to make news for NBC , even when he’s not on its air. Today at TCA , NBC execs got asked to defend inviting the GOP frontrunner ...