Intermittent ASP.Net State Service Error

Recently the State Service has started logging the following Warnings and Errors.  Sometimes the warning is logged first, then the error, or vice versa. It tends to log a couple of these between 12pm and 1pm but doesn't necessarily do so every day.

Warning:

Event code: 3009
Event message: Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Details: last phase='Reading response from the state server', error

Process information:
    Process ID: 3332
    Process name: w3wp.exe
    Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:

Exception type: HttpException
Exception message: Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same.  If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aspnet_state\Parameters\AllowRemoteConnection.  If the server is on the local machine, and if the before mentioned registry value does not exist or is set to 0, then the state server connection string must use either 'localhost' or '127.0.0.1' as the server name.

Error:

The state server has closed an expired TCP/IP connection. The IP address of the client is 127.0.0.1. The expired Read operation began at 04/13/2009 12:39:15.

The State Service is running on the Web Server, and the relevant section of the web.config file looks like this:

<sessionState mode="StateServer" timeout="20" stateConnectionString="tcpip=localhost:42424" />

Google brings up this kb article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308097 however, that article is for ASP.Net 1.0 and 1.1, and we are using 2.0.  And more importantly, that article says the error may be caused by the server being under stress.  The thing is, it threw the error yesterday (Sunday 4/12), when almost no one is on the site.  Also, using perfmon, we saw that it threw the error at a time when the number of users in the system was declining....so I don't think it's because the server was under stress.

Has anyone else run into this issue?  Our site's been up for 4 months, and it only started doing this in the last week or so. It will log a couple of these errors and warnings in the event log but seems to be self-healing as users are still able to get to the site, and it will go a day or two more before logging these errors and warnings again.

0
redwing19

 Bumping.....

0
redwing19
4/17/2009 3:08:07 AM
Did you ever find a solution?  We are getting the same thing.
0
markAmason
4/29/2009 7:54:10 PM

We wound up adding another processor to the server and haven't received the error since.  On busy days the server did have a lot of users (~1500) and the processor was consistently pinged pretty high (usually hovering around 85% with frequent spikes to 100%), and since it is a Virtual Machine, we could add another processor easily.  I still don't understand why it would throw the error on days when virtually no one was on the site.  That seemed to indicate it wasn't a result of the server being under heavy load.....but I can't argue with the results so far.

0
redwing19

Web resources about - Intermittent ASP.Net State Service Error - asp.net.state-management

Intermittent energy source - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An intermittent energy source is any source of energy that is not continuously available due to some factor outside direct control. The intermittent ...

What’s the deal with intermittent fasting?
CAN you really increase your energy and lose excess fat just by changing when you eat? I think you can.

What’s the deal with intermittent fasting?
CAN you really increase your energy and lose excess fat just by changing when you eat? I think you can.

Health problems associated with intermittent employment undercut Jobactive emphasis on short-term work ...
People moving in and out of temporary or insecure work are at a hightened risk of health problems, with new research revealing an &quot;accumulation&quot; ...

Road-testing intermittent fasting
Going without food for a day; how hard can it be? Personal trainer, yoga teacher and food lover Cassie White shares her experience of intermittent ...

Intermittent Fasting Is The Latest "Fast" Diet Craze
For all those January dieters hoping to shed the holiday bulk, intermittent fasting, also known as IF, is all the rage. The trend was sparked ...

Here’s the fix for intermittent CUI errors following the 10.7.3 update
A number of users flooded Apple Support Communities forums following yesterday’s release of the Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 update to complain about ...

DIY Fix For Intermittent Audio From HTC Sensation Headphone Jack
It looks like the touchscreen isn't the only piece of hardware on the Sensation that works when it wants to. Posted today on XDA-Developers, ...

Some Users Experiencing Intermittent App Store And iTunes Outages
Update: The App Store and iTunes seem to be back to normal. We’re getting some reports of intermittent App Store and iTunes outages for users. ...

LED Cinema Display (27-inch): Intermittent loss of audio
You may notice that sound from an LED Cinema Display (27-inch) connected to a Mac intermittently becomes inaudible. In some circumstances, you ...