Error message - "Unable to make the session state request to the session state server"

Hello,

I have developed an ASP.NET c# application.
I have a "Reports" page in which i put the the report's DataTable in a session (to use it later on for paging and sorting).
This works on my localhost but on production I get the follwong error:

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same.  If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aspnet_state\Parameters\AllowRemoteConnection.  If the server is on the local machine, and if the before mentioned registry value does not exist or is set to 0, then the state server connection string must use either 'localhost' or '127.0.0.1' as the server name.

After some investigation I found that the error occurres when the session state is configured to work with the state server. It doesn't happen when working "In Proc". I have a feeling it happens because there is a large amount of data to store in the session.
How can I fix that?

Thank you,

Dana

0
danal

well, if you are running on a single web server, just use Application or Cache to store the DataTable. With Application do not forget to clean after you (which is probably impossible due to connectionless nature of web). Cache will clean automatically when needed.

if you are running on multi-server configuration, try to understand if it is really required to do so, because using both state server and sql state both imply sending data over intranet, so instead of fetching this binary serialized data table you could fetch this data over and over again from relational database which would take pretty same time.

0
aiodintsov
12/9/2007 7:12:30 PM

hello

this problem happened because ASP.NET State Service  is not running on production server,

please make sure to start this service before opening the webpage.

Go to control panel , service manager , navigate to ASP.NET State Service , right click , click start .

Note:

If you are using State Server or SQL Server mode, objects in the session state will be serialized and deserialized when a request is processed.

So make sure your objects are serializable and their classes must be marked as so.  If not, the session state will not be saved successfully.

Regards,

Anas Ghanem.

Note:Please Don't hesitate to click "Report Abuse" link if you noticed something wrong on the forums (like duplicate ,Off-topic,offensive,or any post that violates the website "TERMS OF USE"). -- Thanks!

0
anas
12/10/2007 8:17:13 AM

The service is running and still... I get this error...

0
danal
12/10/2007 9:40:53 AM

post the SessionState configuration section please.

Regards,

Anas Ghanem.

Note:Please Don't hesitate to click "Report Abuse" link if you noticed something wrong on the forums (like duplicate ,Off-topic,offensive,or any post that violates the website "TERMS OF USE"). -- Thanks!

0
anas
12/10/2007 9:58:10 AM

<sessionState mode="StateServer" stateConnectionString="tcpip=tamgr-clus01:42424" stateNetworkTimeout="200" cookieless="false" />

0
danal
12/10/2007 10:05:44 AM

danal:

<sessionState mode="StateServer" stateConnectionString="tcpip=tamgr-clus01:42424" stateNetworkTimeout="200" cookieless="false" />

the TCP/IP port 42424 must be opened on tamgr-clus01 server ,

please go to the firewall settings and open the mentioned port.

Regards,

Anas Ghanem.

Note:Please Don't hesitate to click "Report Abuse" link if you noticed something wrong on the forums (like duplicate ,Off-topic,offensive,or any post that violates the website "TERMS OF USE"). -- Thanks!

0
anas
12/12/2007 9:30:56 AM
This is internal network , port is open , Also ,The state server is working for other application fine on same computer , and for this one as well( if state server will be down there would have been an error right from the start )
0
danal
12/13/2007 7:04:37 AM

danal:

<sessionState mode="StateServer" stateConnectionString="tcpip=tamgr-clus01:42424" stateNetworkTimeout="200" cookieless="false" />

Hi danal,

If “tamgr-clus01” is the server that running your web application, please use “localhost” or “127.0.0.1” as the server name, for example:

     stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424"

If “tamgr-clus01” is not the server which hosts your web application, pleaes open registry on "tamgr-clus01" by running “regedit.exe”, and ensure the value of “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aspnet_state\Parameters\AllowRemoteConnection” is set to 1, by default it is set to zero so that it doesn't allow remote connections.

In addition, if the ASP.NET version is 1.1, please also refer to the following link:

FIX: You may receive an error message when you use the ASP.NET State Server service to store ASP.NET session state in the .NET Framework 1.1
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896600/en-us

Sincerely,
Benson Yu
Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
0
Benson

Error: Unable to make the session state request to the session state server
I have session configured in web.config this way:<sessionState mode="StateServer" cookieless="true", timeout="30" stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424" />  ASP.NET State Service is started.   I got an error:  Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same.  If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentContr...

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server
Hi all, I'm working on the website http://universityauction.net and I was using session variables using InProc session mode to manage session state. This worked fine until I put the website in a load balanced environment, as inproc sessions get lost when jumping from server to server. I decided to move to a state server mode, so I changed my web.config to: <sessionState             mode="StateServer"             stateConnectionString="tcpip=123.456.7.8:42424"      ...

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server.
 Hello,           I’m receiving this error when I put my website on production."Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same.  If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aspnet_state\Parameters\AllowRemoteConnection.  If the server is on the local machine, and if the before men...

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server #2
We have recently started receiving these errors in the event viewer. We are using the out of proc state server on the same machine. The errors become more frequent, almost like it snowballs until users cannot work. System Info: Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2 , 4 GB of RAM, IIS 6.0, Asp.Net 2.0. What I know for certain: The state server is started and running Recycling the app pool nor restarting IIS fixes the problem Rebooting the machine DOES temporarily fix the problem. I changed the stateNetworkTimeout from 10 to 20 in webconfig and that had no effect. There is usuall...

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server etc.
We are getting an error message "Unable to make the session state request to the session state server..." sporadically in one of our applications.  We have several applications running on a 4-server web farm, and these applications have been in production for a year, so it is not a problem that the server is not reachable, not started, not addressed correctly, etc etc etc. One of the applications *does* put a lot of large datasets into session state.  Is there a limit on the allowable size of a session/cached object?  Also, the application opens several windows at once, ...

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server
 We have a web application in our school called CHECM. We are experiencing a high volume of ASP.NET State Server errors throughout this month. These errors have been occurring since 7/11/2006.   Our Session State Mode has been --------------------------------------------------------- <sessionState mode="StateServer" stateConnectionString="tcpip=CHECM:42424" timeout="20" stateNetworkTimeout="30"/>     Here is the Error we get randomly Exception: System.Web.HttpException Message: Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. P...

Visual Studio 2005
 Hi, I have recently been given a PC with Vista on it, and installed Visual Studio 2005 pro. I then moved a ASP.net web project from an XP machine to the Vista one. When I run the project from inside Visual Studio (debug mode) everything works fine on the front end of the website, but if I try and log in I get the following error:  Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same.  If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that i...

Unable to use session state server....requires session state server version 2.0 or above.
So, I have Windows 2003 IIS latest service packs running. Its running .NET 2.0 and .NET 1.1 applications in seperate application pools. Just today I applied the following patch to the server. (The server is not running any 3.0 or 3.5 applications or application pools)  Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86 Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a full cumulative update that contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and includes cumulative servicing upda...

Unable to make the session state request
We use the asp .net state service in our application (.NET Framework Version: 2.0.50727.832, IIS: 6.0). From time to time we're getting errors like the following on our production machines (not reproducable on development, test and prelive machines): Event code: 3009 Event message: Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Details: last phase='Reading response from the state server', error code=0x80072746, size of outgoing data=4089442   I assume, that it has something to do with the session size, because whenever we get the error, it has a s...

Unable to make the session state request to
Here is the Error we get randomly Annoyed me to death and could not figure out , I am hoping that someone might have experienced similar problem Exception: System.Web.HttpException Message: Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same.  If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aspnet_state\Parameters\AllowRemoteConnecti...

The page requires session state that is no longer available. Either the session has expired, the client did not send a valid session cookie, or the session state history size is too small. Try increas
Hi.. I am making a mobile application using .net framework 2.0. My Application has  web farm scenario so for state management  I am using Sateserver in my application. My application runs fine if I dont use web farm scenario But in case of web farm scenario it is giving me error "The page requires session state that is no longer available. Either the session has expired, the client did not send a valid session cookie, or the session state history size is too small. Try increasing the history size or session expiry limit."   &...

Unable to serialize the session state. Please note that non-serializable objects or MarshalByRef objects are not permitted when session state mode is 'StateServer' or 'SQLServer'
 Hi,We are trying to implement Network loading for our asp.net (1.1) application for which we are storing the session in State Server.Following is the error is thrown while page is rendered when ever is a DTO is stored in to SEssion in any of the page.Unable to serialize the session state. Please note that non-serializable objects or MarshalByRef objects are not permitted when session state mode is 'StateServer' or 'SQLServer' Following the code I written for DTO (C# Asp.net 1.1).     using System;    using System.Runtime.Serializa...

Session State and View State
Hi Everyone, Can anybody tellme how are these used in context with ASP.NeT whats their sole purpose?.....and where in programming we use  them? Any links or sources would be good which explains in simple terms.   thanks Simi  ThanksSimi------------&------------"To learn to succeed, you must first learn to fail." -Michael Jordan Here is one of the discussion http://forums.asp.net/t/1145838.aspxMPI never desire to converse with a man who has written more than he hasread. -Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)  Hi There is a video tutorial a...

Usage scenarios for view state, session state, application state, cookies
Hi Guys, Im a college student in London with exams starting Monday on ASP.NET with C#.  Id be so grateful if you could provide me with solid real world scenarios/examples of when you would use the following to maintain state and why you would use them in that instance:   View State Session State Application State Cookies Also when would you use SOAP instead of the REST architecture and vice versa and why - again real world usage scenarios?  I note Amazon's web service uses the REST architecture - why is this, why dont they use SOAP. Id be grateful for a timely respon...

how to store data in state server mode of session state
How do I store and retrieve data in state server mode of session state? How do i increase integer in label control when user adds item in shopping cart? for ex (2) items added. when the user adds a third item the label control should say (3) items added. Thank you, Farhan Hi,You do not have to do anything special in your code You can use the Session object in the normal way and need not do anything. ASP .Net handles it behind the scenes.Store your variables using the session object like, Session("Items") = 5  and so onHibrihttp://www.hibri.net...

Web resources about - Error message - "Unable to make the session state request to the session state server" - asp.net.state-management