what server name to use in SQL Server Management Tool

My hosting company is slow and incomplete in answering a question of mine, which hopefully will be generic enough to be answered here; and which I haven't found the answer to anywhere else on the Web.

Question: On the SQL Server 2005 Management Express, I have no problem connecting to the database I have on my local machine. However, I need to know what to write in the "Server" textbox in the opening "Connect to Server" menu. How do you determine what it is? Thanks in advance for helping me through this mystery.

0
muybn

 You need to write SQL Server name in that box , click on drp down in server name box , select Browse for more and pick ur server

Don't say thanks rather mark my reply as "Answer" if it helps you ,Doing so u'll get points too
amiT jaiN

C#.NET Articles
0
amit

When connecting to your database server, you must specify both the name of the computer and the name of the SQL Server instance in the form ComputerName/InstanceName.

Each instance of SQL Server requires a name. The default instance name for SQL Server 2005 Express Edition is SQLEXPRESS.

You can run multiple SQL Servers on the one computer simultaneously—each SQL Server is called an instance of SQL Server.

This could be useful in a situation like this.  Imagine you have a production server that runs two applications with two separate databases on the same instance of SQL Server. If, for some reason, we need to restart SQL Server for the first application, the second application’s database will become unavailable while the restart is taking place. If the second application’s database was operating on a second instance of SQL Server, we wouldn’t have such a problem—the second application would continue working without missing a beat.

dakshitha
0
ruckfules
10/7/2008 8:24:24 AM

amit.jain:

 You need to write SQL Server name in that box , click on drp down in server name box , select Browse for more and pick ur server

How do I find the SQL Server name?
0
muybn
10/7/2008 7:26:57 PM

ruckfules:

Hi,

[...]

How do I find out the SQL Server name? I can't get any response from a help ticket on bizhostnet.com nor on their website. Would the server name be associated with the site's IP address? I need to get a connection to the server before I can create the database with scripts that I have.

0
muybn
10/7/2008 7:32:10 PM

muybn:

amit.jain:

http://www.bizhostnet.com/faq/INDEX.PHP?sid=508083&aktion=artikel&rubrik=019&id=185&lang=en

Don't say thanks rather mark my reply as "Answer" if it helps you ,Doing so u'll get points too
amiT jaiN

C#.NET Articles
0
amit
10/7/2008 8:08:52 PM

amit.jain:
You need to write SQL Server name in that box , click on drp down in server name box , select. Browse for more and pick your server.
http://www.bizhostnet.com/faq/INDEX.PHP?sid=508083&aktion=artikel&rubrik=019&id=185&lang=en
Where within this reference does it tell the provider's SQL Server name?

The hosting service finally got back to me and let me know what the server name is.

0
muybn

You must use SQL Server 2005 management tools to connect to this server
Hello, After installing SQL Server 2005, I get a message stating "You must use SQL Server 2005 management tools to connect to this server", while trying to connect to my localhost using SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager. Regards, junior What are you trying to do, view a database, view a website?Johan TheunissenMCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006==============================Please mark the most helpful reply/replies as "Answer". I am trying to connect wiht the datbase.  thanks,  junior Use server explorer in Visual Studio.Johan TheunissenMCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTal...

Creating a SQL Server linked server to Interbase using 64 bit SQL Server
Hi, I am trying to use the data direct odbc driver for interbase to create a linked server in SQL Server 2008 R2 64bit however, SQL Server reports an "Arcitechure Mismatch" between the System DSN and SQL Server. This did work under 32 bit SQL Server. Is there a 64bit specific odbc driver for interbase? I have tried using the IBProvider trial as well but this fails to work in SQL Server as well. Our Interbase client(s) and server are all 64 bit installations. Thank you Julian Dawson wrote: > Is there a 64bit specific odbc driver for interbase? I think Easy...

SQL server management studio for SQL server 7 ??
 Hi, I have a Client using SQL server 7 and we want to access this database.However Server Management studio(on 2005) does not like the Server 7. Have  you got any suggestion to me? Best Regard You can go to Start ==> Run ==> Type MMC In MMC Select File ==> Add Remove Snapin ==> Add 'Select SQL Server' I hope this may work.Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps youBest RegardsBrij Mohanhttp://www.dotnetglobe.com That doesnt work. The database is hosted in a remote location.And I need a database client tools for the...

How to get server name and databases name from a server using SQL Command...
can anyone tell meHow to get server name and databases name from a server using SQL Command...i m using sql server 2000(T-SQL)-- "Mark As Answer" If my reply helped you --  Use @@SERVERNAME to find the server name -select @@SERVERNAME& this to find the current database name -select db_name()M.V. 'Anil' Radhakrishna Web Development Tips, Tricks & Trivia | My Code Gallery Recent article - How To Create a Custom IE8 Accelerator thanks..... -- "Mark As Answer" If my reply helped you --...

using sql server session, does it ALWAYS go to sql server?
Testing a simple web app that's configured to save session in SQL SERVER. I have an array of 250000 ints. Session gets saved in 1 page, and retrieved correctly in another, but I only see 1 transaction in profiler. Also have a large complex object size 250KB, and it get's restored instantly, implying it's not coming from the database. From SQL Profiler, I see one transaction to aspstate db when I leave a page that saves session. Shouldn't I see a gaggle of msgs spew by when I save a large object to session??? All comments appreciated! The short answer is yes. The sessi...

Replicating from SQL Server to Sybase using SQL Server replication
Hi all, I have setup a replication from SQL Server to Sybase ASE using SQL Server transactional replication. This work via the Sybase OLEDB driver and linked server. Connection is working, prublication is defined on SQL Server side, the subscription against the Sybase server and database is working. But I got one huge problem: All character datatypes end up as NULL in Sybase. When I enter a row in the SQL Server table which is publicated all data that is not character (float, numeric, datetime etc.) is replicated and the row is available on Sybase side, but all character columns are...

Managing Data between SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005
Hello, I have SQL Server 2000 and 2005 running on the same server. My current system is in SQL Server 2000 and the new system is in SQL Server 2005. My users will be using SQL Server 2000 for the most part,  But for the part the processes that have been migrated to 2005, they will be using SQL Server 2005 as well. The database schema is different on both servers eventhough the data will be similar in most respects. Is there is a way through which any data that is inserted/updated in SQL Server 2000 via content Management System/ manually/ via a batch job, the data is automatical...

SQL Server 2005 tools with SQL Server 2000 error
Has anyone run into this error below yet?  I had a SQL Server 200 Database and then I installed the new SQL Server 2005 tools to use for development and now when I load the database over to my production server that has SQL Server 2000  I get this error... (I never got this error before I installed the tools but I know other people that use the tools with SQL Server 2000 and have no problems at all) Server Error in '/ParkingViolations' Application. An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this fai...

Sql Server Configuration Manager (Sql Server Express) -- Very Fussy....
In my experience command line parameters are not space sensitive - in other words white space does not create a problem dir     /b   /on  works equally well as dir /b /on Now I kinda see the Startup Parameters in the SQL Server Configuration Manager Advanced Tab as roughly similar to command line parameters. But it seems to be INCREDIBLY Space Sensitive. The startup parameters below work just fine -  -dC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\master.mdf;-eC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\...

SQL Server 2005 Express and SMO (SQL Server Management Objects)
I get the following error when I try to access the SMO object from my code; "Failed to retrieve data for this request." I have added references to the files below. But there still seems to be something missing. I'm trying to create a Stored Procedure in my database, but I never got that far. What have I missed? Or is SMO not working with SQL Server 2005 Express?The first commented code block works (I used that to find the correct name of my database). I first tried to get the number of Stored Procedures in my database, but it threw the same error (that line is now also commente...

Web resources about - what server name to use in SQL Server Management Tool - asp.net.sql-datasource

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in business and organizations is an art that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives using available ...

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in business and organizations is the function that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives using available ...

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in business and organizations is the function that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives using available ...

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in businesses and organizations is the function that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives by using ...

Victorian bushfires: Wye River blaze management holds safety lessons for other towns
Victorians have just witnessed again the terrifying speed with which a beautiful environment can be transformed by bushfire.

Better forest management can help prevent bushfire disasters
Fuel reduction in the vast forests behind the communities along the Great Ocean Road has been neglected for decades.

Develop A Management Culture
To manage your law office best, make management part of your law office culture.

Flayk Family Management App Launches on iOS, Android
Flayk has announced the launch of its family management app on iOS and Android devices. The app allows users to coordinate the lives of multiple ...

The future of data center infrastructure management
Recent research from Intel suggests that, despite the availability of automated solutions for data center infrastructure management (DCIM), many ...

5 courses that’ll boost your project management career for $39
Whether you're just starting out or are looking to change careers, there are certain certifications that hiring managers love to see on a resume ...