updating Sql database from linked Access database

I got thrown into a new project that is going to require me to update an SQL server database tables from an Access table on the backend of an Oracle database on another server. At the end of each day the Access dabase will be updated from the Oracle database.

What I need to do, is when the Access database is updated I need to have the table in the SQL database automaticaly updated. When a new record is added to the Access table I need the new record added to the SQL table. When a record is deleted in the Access table I need to keep that record in the SQL table and set a field to a value (such as 0). And when a record is updated in Access, have it updated in SQL.
Needless to say this is a bit out of my area and not sure how to accomplish this.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
0
gww

I'm assuming you're not familar with the pro's and con's of each database.

Your best bet is to bypass access as the middleman since it's the slowest of databases. Utilize DTS transfers to replicate the data from Oracle to SQL Server, and from SQL Server dump the data into access. Otherwise, you're just like the ad where there's a tricycle rear, and a funny car's front end.
I don't care what you want to do, or how you want it done with what you wrote above because it just doesn't seem like a reasonable approach. I can see nothing but hours wasted, and if that access database becomes too large, it'll be very clumsy.
Kay Lee
MySpace.com - http://www.myspace.com/kragie
Infrastructure Group
MySpace.com

- Code to live, but Live to code.
0
KraGiE
7/1/2004 6:09:32 PM
Im familiar with the pros and cons of the two database types.

I can probably get direct access to the Oracle database, not sure yet. The guy i talked to here about it said they would likely setup an Access database on the backend for me to access. The Oracle database is off site.
What im needing to do is get the SQL database tables to update themselves whenever the Access database gets the information pushed to it from the Oracle database. Or if i can get direct access to the Oracle, to get the SQL tables to update when changes are made to the Oracle. I assume you have triggers set up on the Oracle like in SQL, not sure. Im not familiar enough with SQL server to know where to begin. Any resources you can point me to would be appreciated.
0
gww

How can I update a SQL database with an Access database
I need to update an SQL database with an access database that is built on queries.  I need to do this nightly.   Can someone explain how to write the query for this and then I could add it to my nightly maintenance.   Thank you DeeDarlene D. Murphydeemurphy_us@yahoo.com you can reference your Sql Database through Access either with linked tables or ADO.  As long as you have update rights on the Sql Tables, you can use your Access queries to update the Sql tables.Good Luck and happy programming!Let's build community! If my post helped you, mark it as the Answ...

Error 7405 accessing SQL Server database by database link
I'm persistently getting the above error when executing a stored procedure that uses a dabase link to another SQL Server database. I can run the procedure in MS SQL Server management studio fine. I'm setting ANSI_NULLS and ANSI_WARNINGS ON before creating the procedure. Procedure code: SET ANSI_NULLS ON SET ANSI_WARNINGS ON GO SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON GO ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[SSP_WAR_RPT_MANUAL_RECLAIM] @adt_sbi_from datetime, @adt_sbi_to datetime, @as_vendor varchar(15) output, @as_campaigns Char(1) AS BEGIN SET ANSI_NULLS O...

New errors access MS SQL Server Database on (CREATE DATABASE and Batch SQL Statement)
------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C2F2CB.0C201FF0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm running ActiveState perl 5.8.0 on a WIN2K box with MS SQL Server = 2000. Recently I updated DBD-ODBC to v1.05 and DBI to v1.35 Now I get the following errors executing some sql commands CREATE SQLSTMT:[CREATE DATABASE POMS_SER ON (NAME =3D 'POMS_SER_DAT', = FILENAME =3D 'd:\Database\POMS\POMS_SER_Data.MDF', SIZE =3D 10MB) LOG ON = ( NAME =3D 'POMS_SER_LOG', FILENAME =3D = 'd:\Database\POMS\POMS_S...

Access Database and SQL Server database
Hi, I have an access database server and a sql server DB. The  Structure of both DB is same . The data is updated or inserted in access DB. I want to update SQL Server DB on a any event say button click. All updated data or new data in access DB should be reflected on SQL Server DB . Can anyone guide on the approach to be attempted. Thanks   Mark this as an answer if you find my it helpful.Thanks,Anubhuti ONe approach would be to use the System.Data.OleDb library and store connection strings for each database in your web.config file.  Each time you need ...

I imported a SQL Table into SQL DataBase, But I can not update this table even with SQL Server management Studio
I imported a SQL Table into SQL DataBase, But I can not update this table even with SQL Server management Studio When I change any data on mentioned table above, Red exclamation sign appears left of the record . How can I correct this problem?  Thanks. Try running the UPDATE via Query Analyzer...and see if you get an error.***********************Dinakar NethiLife is short. Enjoy it.***********************...

DataSet rows being deleted, but after the update , the sql database is not updated. The delete rows still in the database.
 Stepping thru the code with the debugger shows the dataset rows being deleted.   After executing the code, and getting to the page presentation. Then I stop the debug and start the page creation process again ( Page_Load ).    The database still has the original deleted dataset rows. Adding rows works, then updating works fine, but deleting rows, does not seem to work.   The dataset is configured to send the DataSet updates to the database. Use the standard wizard to create the dataSet.     cDependChildTA.Fill(cDependChildDs._ClientDependentC...

Converting Access database to the Sql Server database
how can I convert or transfer my Access database to SQl Server database ? Thanks in advance.HighOnCodingWanna get high! Try "the Upsizing wizard". Look in Access help...

Conversion of a DNN Access database to SQL database
We have an Access version of the Dot Net Nuke database. We are upgrading to a server with SQL. We'd like to transfer the content from the Access database to the SQL database. Is this possible? Is there a utility available for this conversion. What should we be aware of as we try this? Take a look at http://www.freelance.supertoddler.com/Default.aspx?tabid=37 Rob Visit www.dnnnotes.com - index of DNN threads - hand picked quality threads. TextLayout Module - create multiple column layouts easily Thank for your excellent process! I was able to successfully move the data. ...

migrate access database to sql anywhere database
I am having trouble migrating a Microsoft Access database to SQL Anywhere database. Has anyone done this? I would like to use this database in sql anywhere to utilize the native drivers. Thankyou in advance david You can use the pipeline to migrate all tables. If you have a tool like Powerdesigner, you can reverse engineer the database structure. BTW, SQLAnywhere uses ODBC. There are no native drivers. Terry Dykstra (TeamPS) David Bowles <davidb@goodnet.com> wrote in article <34738A77.2C758640@goodnet.com>... > I am having trouble migrating a Microsoft ...

How to create SQL Mobile 2005 database from a MS SQL 2005 database?
Hi guys,I'm trying to find solutions to help me in creating a SQL Mobile 2005 database from a SQL 2005 database, with the same table structure and data.May I know how can I achieve this?Thanks.Regards,Jenson Hi Jenson, Visual Studio 2005 or SQL Server 2005 is able to open SQL Mobile 2005 database. However you need either SQL or .NET code to convert SQL Mobile 2005 database this way. Here is an example from MSDN forums which is to convert to xls instead: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=78640&SiteID=1Zhao Ji MaSincerely,Microsoft Online Community Suppo...

Transfer tables and other contents from access database to sql database
Hi All, can anyone please help me to transfer tables and other contents from access database to sql database? I have access database file, can I also directly convert it into a sql database file? You can upsize your Access database to an SQL Server database (In Access, Tools>>Database Utilities>>Upsize Wizard.... follow the screen. Or you can use SQL Server's Import and Export wizard to import your access database to SQL Server.   You cannot convert your Access database file to SQL Server data file directly.Limno  Read this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/23...

COnverting SQL SERVER 2000 Database into Access database
Hi, How can I import SQL Database 2000 into Access database. I have created a SQl script file of my database. thanks, bye,HighOnCodingWanna get high! the SQL Script isn't that much use in this case - use DTS to export the DB from SQL to AccessRTFM - straight talk for web developers. Unmoderated, uncensored, occasionally unreadableJason Brown - MVP, IIS whats the DTS can u explain me please ??HighOnCodingWanna get high! Data Transformation Services - the primary way of miporting and exporting data to and from SQL Server - I assume you've installed the SQL Server Client...

Can you convert access database data over to an SQL Database?
I would like to start using SQL, how would I convert my data in MS Access over to an SQL Server Database? Q.Xykal:how would I convert my data in MS Access over to an SQL Server Database? In Access, there is an upsizing/conversion tool you can run to create an equivalent SQL Server DB.Atlernatively you can also use SQL Server to import all the tables/data from Access.  This is very good news. Thank you....

Web resources about - updating Sql database from linked Access database - asp.net.sql-datasource

Wikipedia talk:Updating information - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is brilliant! It would probably work best for elections etc in minor locations. For something that's well-known like a US predidential election, ...

8 Tools For Updating Facebook Offsite
Applications for receiving Facebook updates and notifications without having to keep the site open in a browser keep coming out. Here are eight ...

Updating how Cost per Click is Measured on Facebook
To help advertisers better understand how their ads perform, we're updating the definition of cost per click on Facebook. Learn what the change ...

Updating Your App for iOS 9: What You Need to Know
Updating Your App for iOS 9: What You Need to Know

Facebook for iPhone 3.0 to Include Page Updating
... who want to more easily update their Facebook Pages on the go: Facebook for iPhone 3.0 , which should be released soon, will include Page updating, ...

Updating trends on mobile
Trends are a great way to find out what people are talking about on Twitter at a given moment and at a single glance. Starting today, we’re making ...

Delhi Metro Fare Calculator and Auto-Updating Map on the App Store on iTunes
Get Delhi Metro Fare Calculator and Auto-Updating Map on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Updating Emma: Jane Austen's classic joins list of literary reworks
Jane Austen published six novels. Just six. She died before she completed the seventh.

Tips For Updating Your Appearance
Like Joe Hockey, all men can pull off a radical mid-life makover by following some simple guidelines.