Hi Guys,
I have had SQL Server Express and Sql Server Management Studio Express installed on my machine for some time and recently tried to install a trial of SQL Server 2005 as well.  (Yes, I'm migrating from Visual Studio Express to Visual Studio Professional, just as in tended!)
Everything went fine except that nothing seemed to be installed.  I searched in all the obvious places - both on the Start/Programs menu and on the hard-drive: nothing.
A check under Add/Remove Programs showed that Sql Server 2005 Express was installed, but called SQL Server 2005.
So after a number of retries in which the install program kept saying that there was nothing to install, I selected every option under Advanced in the intall process.  This resulted in stuff being installed and I now have SQL Server 2005 running on my machine, but no SQL Server Manager icon.
My questions are:
  1. Where can I find the SQL Server Manager executeable?
  2. Has anyone installed SQL Server Express, SQL Server Mangement Studio Express, SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server Management Studio on a single machine successfully?  If so, what order did you install them in?  (I'm planning on uninstalling everything SXQL Server related and starting again.)

Thanks very much for your help.
Regards
Gary

Gary Bartlett
gb at prodsol dot co dot nz
+64 9 473-9530
+64 21 776-390
http://www.prodsol.co.nz - Dramatic improvement through pattern-level intervention
0
GaryBartlett
6/1/2006 2:51:58 AM
📁 asp.net.sql-datasource
📃 29906 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 5 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 2918 Views

Hi, I have a machine that have SQL Server Express,  SQL Server 2005, SQL Server Management Studio and SQL2000 (but not SQL Server Mangement Studio Express) intalled, and the installation order is the order they are listed. The SQL Server Manager executeable can be found at:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\SqlWb.exe
If you can not get rid of your issue and consider unintallation, here is a useful reference:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/support/uninstall/default.aspx

Welcome to my SQL/ASPNET forum for Chinese
http://51up.org/bbs/forumdisplay.php?fid=38
0
Iori_Jay
6/1/2006 6:34:42 AM

Thanks, Iori!
SqlWb.exe isn't anywhere on my machine, so I guess I'll have to uninstall everything and give it another go.  Grrr!
Regards
Gary

Gary Bartlett
gb at prodsol dot co dot nz
+64 9 473-9530
+64 21 776-390
http://www.prodsol.co.nz - Dramatic improvement through pattern-level intervention
0
GaryBartlett
6/1/2006 10:35:40 AM

OK.  So I tried to uninstall everything as specified, in the link Iori offered.  Not everything was uninstalled, so I had to manually uninstall things within the registry.  Two days later, everything is fine.  I seem to have a SQL Server 2005-free, Sql Server Express-Free,  Visual Studio Pro-Free and Visual Studio Express-Free system.  I'm amazed that this can be so difficult - and stressed about the loss in productivity, but hey: at least I have a clean system and can start from scratch, right?
I decide to install things the other way round this time - SQL Server 2005 (Trial) and Visual Studio Pro 2005 (Trial) first and then SQL Server Express and Visual Web Developer Express after.  (I need to have the Express Product on my machine in order to support existing client projects and don't want to infringe copyright for the duration of the trial).
The install of the Trial software goes fine.  The upgrade to SQL Server 2005 SP1 goes fine.  I manage to hack restoring databases from previous versions of SQL Server 2005 - which doesn't happen easily, but at least I'm on track.
So, this afternoon I download the latest version of SQL Server Express and guess what?  Same problem as before - well, very nearly - except that now I can't install SQL Server Express!  How to win friends and influence people....
During the install of SQL Server Express it says that I can't install it without overwriting later versions of the software - and says that there is nothing to install.
Please, please, please will someone help me work out how to be able to run SQL Server Express and SQL Server 2005 (trial) on the same machine. DO I roll back the 4.5 hoour upgrade to SP1?  Or is there some other way I can do this?
I can't belive that something should be so hard!
Thanks very much.
Regards
Gary

Gary Bartlett
gb at prodsol dot co dot nz
+64 9 473-9530
+64 21 776-390
http://www.prodsol.co.nz - Dramatic improvement through pattern-level intervention
0
GaryBartlett
6/4/2006 7:04:34 AM

I'm sadly to hear that, Gary. The issue became more complex. Have you considered not using SQL Express? You can move the SQL Express databases into SQL2005, and that works fine on mine machine. BTW, you can find the setup logs for SQL Express under this folder:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG
But the logs are not so easy to read, you can start from here for troubleshooting the installation:

Welcome to my SQL/ASPNET forum for Chinese
http://51up.org/bbs/forumdisplay.php?fid=38
0
Iori_Jay
6/6/2006 9:03:37 AM

Thanks, Iori.  Finally got it sorted.  After installing SQL Server 2005 + SP1 and Visual Studio 2005 - and being unable to install SQL Server Express - I installed VWD Express, which installs SQL Server Express.
After a bit of tweaking and hacking (e.g. deleting C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\SQLEXPRESS), I managed to get it all working....
I have to say that I'm astounded that it should be so hard - I don't want my clients to ever have this much difficulty: I can't see many of them putting up with it!
Thanks again for your help and advice.