How to Search an SQL Server Database and Display Results in a Gridview

I am trying to create a web application that has a search function.

 I would like to search the database with the text that the user inputs into the TextBox and then display the results in a GridView.

I would also like to split up the value if the user where to type in multiple strings.  For Example:  "chicken sausage beef" and then search the database for those 3 separate strings..

Can anyone help me accomplish this?

0
tbarbedo1

I give split function.

CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.sp_Txt_Split(

    @sInputList varchar(8000) -- List of delimited items
  , @Delimiter char(1) = ',' -- delimiter that separates items, space also a delimiter, you replace ',' and put space only' '
)

AS BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @Item Varchar(8000)

CREATE TABLE #List(Item varchar(8000)) -- Create a temporary table

--IF CHARINDEX(@Delimiter,@sInputList,0) <> 0
--BEGIN
WHILE CHARINDEX(@Delimiter,@sInputList,0) <> 0
BEGIN
SELECT
@Item=RTRIM(LTRIM(SUBSTRING(@sInputList,1,CHARINDEX(@Delimiter,@sInputList,0
)-1))),
@sInputList=RTRIM(LTRIM(SUBSTRING(@sInputList,CHARINDEX(@Delimiter,@sInputLi
st,0)+1,LEN(@sInputList))))

IF LEN(@Item) > 0
INSERT INTO #List SELECT @Item

END
--END

IF LEN(@sInputList) > 0
INSERT INTO #List SELECT @sInputList -- Put the last item in

SELECT * FROM #List
DROP TABLE #List
RETURN
END
GO

To test the procedure:

EXEC sp_Txt_Split '1,22,333,444,,5555,666', ','

or

EXEC sp_Txt_Split '1#22#333#','#'
0
stephenraja
6/24/2008 4:12:27 AM
I think you're looking for the feature of SQL Server called Full Text Search.

Thanks,
Dhimant Trivedi
"When the going gets tough, tough gets going."

dhimant

SQL Server Database File vs SQL Server Database -VWD Express
VWD Express 2008, SQL Server Express 2005. I have been using SQL Server Express with ASP and VB for some years - I just create a DB in Management Studio Express, have SQL Server set to 'SQL Server and Windows authentication', and use a connection string with 'sa' and a password (I never have managed to get it working with 'integrated security', but that is probably irrelevant to this post). So I have a list of DB's attached to SQL Server that I can see, attach, detach etc in MSE. I am getting started with .NET. Working through a VWD Express book tutori...

Can microsoft SQL Server 2005 database upgrade to microsoft SQL Server 2008 database?
I have a microsoft SQL Server 2005 database, I don't know how to upgrade the 2005 database to 2008 database, I try to use SQL Server Management Studio Express 2008 to open the 2005 database, it's OK, does it mean that the 2005 database have been upgraded to 2008 database? BTW, is SQL Server 2005 database compatible with SQL Server 2008 database completely?SuperCool Multiple ZIP - A utility to unzip multiple files and work with multiple zip filesSuperCool Random Number Generator Yes. It is compatible. Anyhow go through this url for more informationhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/li...

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open database requested in login 'WinFM SQL PFS'. Login fails.
HiASP pages were properly connecting to SQL DB until I restored from a backup DB.  As soon as I finished restoring from the backup DB, I am getting the following error message.   I did not make any changes on ASP side.  IIS Server and SQL 2K Server is running on a WIN2K Server Box.Please help.Thank you.HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP errorInternet Information ServicesTechnical Information (for support personnel)Error Type:Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open database requested in login...

Restoring a SQL Server 2005 database into SQL Server 2000
Hey guys  We currenlty have SQL Server 2000 installed inhouse for testing.  A client has given us a backup of their 2005 database and i'm wondering if the restore will work into 2000, or any issues i should be aware of. Should i just install msde locally on my machine and restore the database?  thanks Hi,Ask your client to backup database as 2000 format. There is an option for this in Microsoft SQL Server Managment Studio. Then download MSSMSE and install for yourself and try to restore database from it.If database doesn't use any 2005 features (rowcount for exampl...

How to convert a SQL Server 2005 Database to SQL Server Express
Hi, I have a SQL Server 2005 Database that I would like to export to SQL Server Express. How do I go about this? I've tried backing it up, creating a new (blank) SQL Server Express Database and trying to restore it, but get the following message: TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio------------------------------ Restore failed for Server 'PRODSOL-LAPTOP1\SQLEXPRESS'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo) For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.2047.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOp...

How to import excel sheet into SQL Database in SQL Server from Remote SQL Client
 Hi all, I need to import Excel sheet into SQL Database in SQL Server machine.this excel sheet can be kept in any where.it may client or server machines.but I need to import it using any SQL client(Remote Client in web) machine.I can do it using  SQL Sever Machine.but it doesn't work using SQL Client  machine.I need to do it using  SQL query.it imported using Import/Export wizard in SQL through SQL Client machine.but it can't using SQL quary.Please tel me how I do this.Following are my code.---------------------------------------------------------------------...

Moving SQL Server 2005 Database to SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi, I have SQL Server 2005 in my Development machine but the hosting server has only SQL server 2005 Express. I was wondering if I develop the DB in SQL server 2005 would be able to move/deploy it to SQL Server Express in the production server? If so how? Can I just generate the script and then run it on the productions server? Or there is a better/easier way? Thanks in advanceShuaib----------------------- I don't anticipate any problems creating database in SQL Server 2005 and moving it to Express. If you need to generate the script to create an empty shell (no d...

GENERAL SQL SERVER: Question about the Script that setups the SQL Server Database.
This is the first time I have created a script for Sql Server 2000, and I have run into a few syntax ereas that I am not familar with. Bellow is a section of the script from the Portal server packages. At the end of the sample, is "ON [PRIMARY], Can anyone explain to me what this does and why the primary key isnt setup inside the code itself? I am basically trying to take parts of the script and incorrporate it into my own script and hate added syntax that I dont understand, makes debugging a real pain in the future. CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Portal_Announcements] ( [ItemID] [in...

Copy database from one SQL Server to SQL Server Compact edition
I have a SQL script that creates tables and have insert scripts to put data into it. I want to create the table in Compact SE for my mobile device project. I know I can run a script from VS using SMO, but is there some other way? I have SQL Server Express 2008 installed. From VS itself is there a way to create my tables with data in SQL Server Compact?Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. (Donald Knuth)  In Studio 2008 you can use the Server Explorer to create a connection to an SQL Server 3.5 Compact Edition File, and run queries against it j...

How migrate SQL server 2000 database to SQL Server 2005 Express
I  have a  SQL server 2000 database.I have to migrate it to SQL Server 2005 Express.But I don't know how to do. Is any one can help me ? Thanks You can detach the database using sp_detach_db and then re-attach it to your SSE instance using sp_attach_db.  This should work seamlessly, but back up first, just in case.Adam MachanicSQL Server MVP...

Web resources about - How to Search an SQL Server Database and Display Results in a Gridview - asp.net.sql-datasource

Five million customers affected by Vtech database hack
Toy and educational material seller Vtech has revealed five million customers were affected by a hack of its app database and has also suspended ...

Old database dump from Nexus Mods circulating in criminal circles: Change password
Nexus Mods, a gaming site which has mods for 216 games , warned users about a “ potential database breach ” after a Reddit user was alerted by ...

Change your passwords: NexusMods suffers database breach
... security breach by posts on reddit. Cybersecurity firm REN-ISAC had apparently contacted several university IT departments about a database ...

VTech Admits Lack of Database Security Opened Door to Hack
A SQL injection, a common software flaw, was found to be the root cause in the VTech breach.