How do you transfer a database from SQL Express to SQL Server 2005?

Hello,

On the web site for MS SQL Server 05 Express the description at the top of the page says, "Transfer any database created in SQL Express to other editions of SQL Server 2005." http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/powerful/

How do you transfer a database from SQL Express to SQL Server 2005?

I am creating a data-driven web site using Visual Web Developer 05 Express, SQL Server 05 Express and MS SQL Server Management Studio Express. My host uses SQL Server 2005, ASP.net 2.0, and FrontPage extensions.

Thanks for your help.

0
Arbon

You can just do a schema export and then [if you have rights] run the
script when you connect remotely.  You can always have them just
install your schema.  Only takes a couple of mins depending on how
complicated or big the db is.

Eric Ramseur
Rainbow Portal 2.0 Admin
Download Rainbow 2.0!!
Rainbow Code
Rainbow Portal Community
C# 2005 Group
0
eramseur
12/8/2005 7:00:38 AM

Thanks for the advice. How do you export the schema with the software mentioned above?

I have searched for instructions on how to export, but I have not found any yet.

0
Arbon
12/8/2005 4:06:16 PM
You don't need to transfer schema, one of the easiest way to  move database is to backup the database with the backup and restore wizard in the full SQL Server 2005 by registering the Express version in the full management studio.  Then restore it in the full version by using the restore from device option.   If you run into problems just delete it and start again.  The second option is create a blank database in the full version and run an INSERT INTO statement.   Run a search for INSERT INTO statement and backup and restore procedure in SQL Server 2005 BOL (books online).   Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre
12/8/2005 5:29:12 PM

Thanks a million for your help. The problem is that I only have the Express version of VWD and SQL. I tried to install the trial version of SQL Server 05, but it would not install (I think because I have Windows XP Home Edition).

I am still puzzled about this: Microsoft says, "Transfer any database created in SQL Express to other editions of SQL Server 2005." http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/powerful/

This is what I would like to do. I have searched for days, but I can not figure out how this is done.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

0
Arbon
12/8/2005 7:16:18 PM
To transfer it you either backup with T-SQL code or go to the Microsoft SQL Server folder under programs and in the data subfolder take the MDF file of the database and place it in the Management studio of the full version and generate the database.   If you do the backup you go to the backup subfolder and get the .bak file. and follow the instructions in the previous post.    Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre
12/8/2005 9:37:54 PM

What order do you install all of these in so that they work:

  1. IIS
  2. Redistributable Framework 2.0
  3. SQL Server 2005 (Eval Edition)
  4. VWD w/SQL Express

?

Thanks for your help!

0
eric
1/3/2006 8:35:09 PM
Copy the .MDF file from the SQL Express machine to the SQL Server 2005 machine, then tell it to attach the database.  Done.
0
Motley
1/4/2006 6:44:31 AM
eric.christoph wrote:

What order do you install all of these in so that they work:

  1. IIS
  2. Redistributable Framework 2.0
  3. SQL Server 2005 (Eval Edition)
  4. VWD w/SQL Express
  5. ?

    Thanks for your help!

Install IIS first then the framework 2.0, VWD, SQL Server 2005 eval version and then SQL Server express as a named instance.  Then register the SQL Server express with the eval version so you can use management studio to manage both.  Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre

If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly?
If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly? Thanks! Hi asdpai, I am not sure if I catch your meaning.But if you want to upgrade the SQL Server 2005 Express to SQL Server 2008 Express, you may refer to the following link: Version and Edition Upgradeshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspxHow to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2008 (Setup)http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144267.aspxJian KangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to mark the replies as answers if t...

Moving SQL Server 2005 Database to SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi, I have SQL Server 2005 in my Development machine but the hosting server has only SQL server 2005 Express. I was wondering if I develop the DB in SQL server 2005 would be able to move/deploy it to SQL Server Express in the production server? If so how? Can I just generate the script and then run it on the productions server? Or there is a better/easier way? Thanks in advanceShuaib----------------------- I don't anticipate any problems creating database in SQL Server 2005 and moving it to Express. If you need to generate the script to create an empty shell (no d...

Transfer database created in SQL Express to SQL Server 2005
Using VWD 05 Express & SQL Server 05 Express, how do I transfer my database to my host that is using SQL Server 2005. On the SQL Server express web site http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/powerful/ one of the features listed for SQL Server 05 Express is: Transfer any database created in SQL Express to other editions of SQL Server 2005. Thanks You can just use a simple export dump of the schema and data.  Im sure with the SQL Server Management Express you can do this.Eric RamseurRainbow Portal 2.0 AdminDownload Rainbow 2.0!!Rainbow Code Rainbow Portal CommunityC# 200...

Restoring a SQL Server Express 2005 Database to SQL Server Standard 2005
Hello,If I backup and restore an express database to sql server 2005 standard, will there still be limitations in regards to the database size, cpu...etc.? Thanks,Jon  I suppose that no. Limitations are connected to SQL engine not to database itself. But probably if your database will grow up connected to SQL Standard and you will try to move it back to SQL express you will be in trouble.  ThanksJPazgier...

How to convert a SQL Server 2005 Database to SQL Server Express
Hi, I have a SQL Server 2005 Database that I would like to export to SQL Server Express. How do I go about this? I've tried backing it up, creating a new (blank) SQL Server Express Database and trying to restore it, but get the following message: TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio------------------------------ Restore failed for Server 'PRODSOL-LAPTOP1\SQLEXPRESS'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo) For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.2047.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOp...

How migrate SQL server 2000 database to SQL Server 2005 Express
I  have a  SQL server 2000 database.I have to migrate it to SQL Server 2005 Express.But I don't know how to do. Is any one can help me ? Thanks You can detach the database using sp_detach_db and then re-attach it to your SSE instance using sp_attach_db.  This should work seamlessly, but back up first, just in case.Adam MachanicSQL Server MVP...

How to create a copy of SQL Server 2000 database in SQL Server 2005 Express?
I have a database called 'DB1' in SQL Server 2000. I want to create the same database in SQL Server 2005 Express including the original data in tables. How would I do that? I cannot find any option to do this upgrade in SQL Server Management Studio.sun21170 Check out this:How to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2005 with the Copy Database Wizard Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you! The article you mentioned does not apply to the 2005 Express Edition. The Management Studio for the Express Edition contains no Copy database opti...

How to connect to Remote SQL Server database using SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi,I've an account with a hosting service provider online for SQL Server database. I've downloaded SQL Server 2005 Express from ASP.Net. How can I use it to connect to my SQL Server Database which is sitting on remote server? The hosting provider gave me following things to connect to the remote database.Server NameDatabase NameUser NamePasswordRegards,A.K.R    Anyone? I don't want to ask the obvious, but is there not a Read Me file included with the download of SQL Express which would explain how to connect? Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I've only ever briefly ...

upgrading from sql server 2005 express edition to sql server 2005 express with advanced services
If i have been using sql server 2005 express for developing my application and i decide to upgrade to sql server 2005 express with advanced services while still working on the same application, what will happen to my  application's database. Can i be able to continue with my work with out any major regrets.--------------------------------------------------No Project Too Eazy.-------------------------------------------------- I have answered you in this other thread there is no problem, if there is a problem I would have warned you.  Hope this helps.http://forums.asp.net/...

Web resources about - How do you transfer a database from SQL Express to SQL Server 2005? - asp.net.sql-datasource

Charge-transfer complex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A charge-transfer complex ( CT complex ) or electron-donor-acceptor complex is an association of two or more molecules , or of different parts ...

Li-Fi wireless transfers are 100 times faster than Wi-Fi
Li-Fi, the technology which uses light instead of radio waves to transmit data has been tested outside the laboratory environment. The result? ...

FTC Bans Wire Transfers, Reloadable Cash Cards, And Payment Orders In Phone Transactions
... scams, but they all have one thing in common: they extract money from their victims using quick and untraceable methods like wire transfers ...

SeatGeek lets you easily resell tickets, transfer them to friends
SeatGeek has made a name for itself with its mobile app, which lets you snap up tickets for sporting events, concerts and the like, while also ...

Tencent's WeBank in $1 billion fund drive; WeChat inks money transfer deal ...
Tencent's WeBank in $1 billion fund drive; WeChat inks money transfer deal ... Finextra (press release) WeBank, the online banking arm of Chinese ...

U.S. Jurisdictions That Criminalize Fraudulent Transfers
Eighteen U.S. jurisdictions criminalize in some form or another a fraudulent transfer: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Kentucky, ...

SeatGeek launches a marketplace for ticket sales, mobile transfers, & more
... listing tickets on Facebook or Craigslist. It works like this: after fans purchase tickets through SeatGeek, they’ll have the option to transfer ...

Pulis confident Berahino can handle transfer speculation
Saido Berahino is more experienced to deal with the ongoing speculation surrounding his West Brom future, according to manager Tony Pulis

The Latest: US to transfer 2 more ships to Philippine navy
The Latest: US to transfer 2 more ships to Philippine navy Miami Herald The report in the People's Daily , the flagship newspaper of China's ...