Full-Text Indexing for smaller columns

Hello,

I'm looking at using full-text indexing for tables to query. I have some smaller fields (varchar(50) that stores names) that I was contemplating using full-text indexing for. I was just curious if it is worth it?
Basically the data that will be there are one-word names, without any spaces or whatnot.
Brian
Brian

"Trust in the Lord and do what is good; dwell in the land and live securely. Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires" (Psalm 37: 3-4).
0
bmains

Don't do it ... the performance hit is bigger then just keeping it that way ...
Verhoeven Bart

MCSD.NET

Technical Project Leader
0
Foefie
11/1/2004 7:00:06 PM
OK, that is what I was wondering.  Thanks.
Brian

"Trust in the Lord and do what is good; dwell in the land and live securely. Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires" (Psalm 37: 3-4).
0
bmains
11/2/2004 12:29:30 PM
Foefie... do u know any ways to improve full text indexing performance?
Satılık,Kiralık emlak ilanlari
0
erdsah88

SQL 2005 Bug? Cannot create Full Text Index for VARBINARY column that's populated with converted NVARCHAR values
Hi, I was wondering if any SQL Server gurus out there could help me...I have a table I'm trying to apply a full text catalog to, however no results are ever returned due to the text column being cataloged being of varbinary(max) that's being populated from a converted nvarchar(max) value - I've narrowed it down to this specifically, populating with non nvarchar text seems to work fine.To re-create the problem quickly...If I populate the column viaCONVERT(varbinary(max), 'test text')then there is no problem, I get results as expected.However if I populate the column viaCON...

sql express 2005 and full text indexing
I am following the how to in the sql studio management express and for text indexing it says   ================================================ To enable a database for full-text indexing In Object Explorer, expand the server group, right-click the database for which you want to enable full-text indexing, and then select Properties. Select the Files page, and then select Use full-text indexing  This worked ok  ==================================================   next it says to   ================================================== To enable a ta...

MS SQL full-text index search
First of all I’m new to MS SQL, I did work with mySQL   Table name db (real db has 12 columns) Id         c1                    c2        c3 1          tom                  john      olga 2          tom john   &nb...

Like Operator on full-text indexed columns
Hi, Is there any performance difference in between using "LIKE Operator on Normal Column" And  "LIKE Operator on Full-text indexed column"? Thanks in Advance, LVPrasad Y      Hi,  I think there is no need for a comparison. LIKE operator consume more CPU Cost than using CONTAINS.If you have a table which is indexed using FTCatalog/FTSearch, then you must use CONTAINS or CONTAINSTABLE or FREETEXT. Just try this little experiment. 1. Create an FTCatalog2. Add a table and populate the FTC3. Query the table with LIKE - enable execution plan4....

full-text indexing in SQL server 2005
in object explorer ,do right-click on database and is selecting preoperties and is selecting "files" page "use full-text indexing" ckeck box is disable. how can enabled this check box? thanks , mohsen Hi mohsendeveloper, Which version of sql server do you have ? Based on my understanding, only enterprise edition and standard edition (and editions above) have this feature. Express edition and Dev edition do not have full-text index feature. Run   print @@version in your sql server management query window to see which version of sql server you are usin...

how to combine full-text COLUMN data search w/ full-text CONTENT data search
how can i combine full-text COLUMN data search w/ full-text CONTENT data search? i am trying to access, in a single stored proc, both the full-text COLUMN data(sql server columns) and the full-text CONTENT data(documents in file system). i can successfully access each via there respective data providers; full-text COLUMN data: System.Data.SqlClient full-text CONTENT data: System.Data.OleDb however, i would like to UNION these data requests into a single stored proc, and therefore, thru a single data provider. is it possible to merge these to into a single stored proc and ...

Full Text Index using SQL Server 2005
Hi, In my requirement, i have to work with full text indexing,  i enabled the full text indexing, but i am confused in setting the columns like, i tried to set the column (DocDatafld varbinary(MAX)) for full text indexing and TypeColumn(varchar(50) for Type Column. But i don't understand what is this type column and what is the purpose of this, what should be the data type. After creating the full text index, i am not able to query the database with the following query. select docdatafld from docdatatbl where freetext(DocDatafld,'C#')  Please help me and let me know ...

how to create full text index on 2 columns of the same table
 hello how to create full text index on two columns of a same table.this is what I have done for one column of a table SystemElement.CREATE Unique Index ui_SystemElement on SystemElement(SystemElementID)Create fulltext index on SystemElement( SESummaryText TYPE Column Text )Key index ui_SystemElement on charlottecatalogwith change_tracking autobut when I am trying to create index on another column of the same tableCreate fulltext index on SystemElement( SETitleText TYPE Column Text )Key index ui_SystemElement on charlottecatalogwith change_tracking autoits giving me error sayingA full...

Full-text Indexing of an Image Column with a .PDF file
Hi, I am having difficulty in indexing a Table when it contains a PDF file in an Image column. Basically I have a table with a unique id, some other fields, and an Image column. The Image column contains uploaded files from a web application. Full-text indexing works fine for all types of files that I have uploaded into this table which includes (.doc, .xls, .ppt) but I get the following message in my Event Viewer if one of thee files is a PDF file. One or more documents stored in the Image columns with extension '.pdf' did not get full-text indexed because loading the filter failed ...

Highlight Text with Full Text Indexing
Hello all, I'm trying to duplicate the Adobe Pro searching function where you can index a collection of documents in a folder on a drive. Perform a keyword/phrase search and Highlight the search term and also locate the sentence(s) or paragraph the search term was found on. My set up: I have about 10K docs in a SQL 2005 database stored as Binary(Max) datatype. When I loaded via batch or individually I captured 'Meta' data about the documents (ie Doc Title, Document type{MSDS, Tech Data Sheet, COA, TSCA Statement, ect). I provide a searching mechanism that they can search on t...

Specify Full-Text Index location in MS SQL 2008
I have 2 partition on my server. First(small) - for windows and programs. Second(big) for database.During creation full-text catalog, it don't propouse to specify location of catalog. I thing, full-text catalog will be created in default place where installed MSSQL2008. How to specify location of full-text catalog?Thanks.  I found these two links http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/simons/archive/2008/02/20/SQL-Server-2008---iFTS-Performance---DocidMap.aspx http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143709.aspx which may be of help.Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only ...

Search without using SQL Server 2000 Full Text Index?
Hi I am using SQL Server 2000 on a Windows XP machine, so Full Text Index is not available for me to use. I have a form where a user can enter keywords, separated by commas. I want to be able to search my database for all instances of those keywords. How can I separate the words that the user enters, how can I tell how many words there are, and then how do I put that info into a SQL query? So far I can successfully search my columns on one keyword, and then display the results. Sorry for all the questions but I am a new .net programmer! Thank you in advance! my code: Sub...

SQL Server/Index Server Full Text Search Provider for DNN ?
Hi everybody, first thanks to the core team for the oustanding job Anybody here is implementing or has implemented a search provider using Index Server/SQL Server?. for those (like me) using DNN in dedicated servers, I believe the performance could be way better using full text search of SQL Server. would be outstanding also to implement an anticipated SQL Server full text search provider, because from what I seen, Yukon can index 2TB of data in 10 hours, when SQL 2000 needs 14 days (using same hardware) I guess that would be powerful thoughts anyone ? interesting... hav...

SQL 2005 FULL TEXT (DIFFERENT WEIGHT FACTOR FOR DIFFERENT COLUMNS)
Hi All, Any help on this will be appreciated. I want to implement full text search on SQL 2005. With SQL 2005. However I want to have different weight factor for different columns. For example: If my table has 3 columns, ProductName, ManufacturerName, ProductDescription, and if the user searches for the keyword "simcity", I want to give maximum importance if the keyword is found in the ProductName column, and minimum importance if the keyword is found on the ProductDescription column I know the easiest but the worst way to do this is use 3 different fulltext queri...

Web resources about - Full-Text Indexing for smaller columns - asp.net.sql-datasource

Full text search - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In text retrieval , full text search refers to techniques for searching a single computer -stored document or a collection in a full text database ...

U.S. Senate : Where can I find the full text of Strom Thurmond's 24 hour filibuster over the 1957 Civil ...
Answer: You can find it in the Congressional Record, Volume 105. A few surprises: * Part of the conversation is recorded out of order. * The ...

Full Text Dict HD 新概念出国旅游商务外贸必备英语口语有声免费版 on the App Store on iTunes
Get Full Text Dict HD 新概念出国旅游商务外贸必备英语口语有声免费版 on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Full text of Dr Rodney Syme's speech on the right to physician-assisted death
Although I am nearly 80 years old and retired from surgery, I am still practising medicine.  For over 25 years I have been counselling people ...

Full text: Nokia CEO Stephen Elop's 'burning platforms' memo
There is a pertinent story about a man who was working on an oil platform in the North Sea. He woke up one night from a loud explosion, which ...

Full text: Barack Obama's speech on fight against Islamic State militants
The full text of Barack Obama's speech outlining plans to fight Islamic State militants.

Full text of Peter Mansbridge's interview with Stephen Harper
Read a complete transcript of Peter Mansbridge's year-end interview with Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

FULL TEXT: NDP proposes amendments to anti-ISIS mission motion
As Members of Parliament debate a motion to extend and expand Canada’s mission against ISIS in Iraq and Syria, the NDP has proposed amendments. ...

Full text: Jian Ghomeshi’s Facebook post on why he believes CBC fired him
Read Jian Ghomeshi's startlingly personal Facebook post in response to being fired by the CBC, and what he calls "a campaign of false allegations ...

Elizabeth May's Speech On Iraq Combat Mission (FULL TEXT)
Green Party Leader Elizabeth May says she understand the good "intentions" of Prime Minister Stephen Harper in calling for airstrikes against ...