error creating mdf - Connection to SQL server files (*.mdf) require SQL express 2005 to....

Connection to SQL server files (*.mdf) require SQL express 2005 to function properly.  please verify the installation of the component or download from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=49251

I AM GOING TO RIP MY HAIR OUT WITH THIS PROBLEM.  I have reinstalled both sql server express 2005 and VWD about 5 times with the same problem.  please, please, please someone throw me a bone here  and help me resolve this problem.

When I create a new EMPTY website and I rightclick on my website in the solution explorer and choose add item, I chooe SQL Database, I give it a name 'database.mdf' and click add.  I get the following message:

you are attempting to add a database to an asp.net application.  for a database to be gfenerally consumable in your site, it should be placed inside the 'app_data' folder.  would you like to place the database inside the 'app_data' folder?  I click YES (I know this message is normal)

then I get the following message:

Connection to SQL server files (*.mdf) require SQL express 2005 to function properly.  please verify the installation of the component or download from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=49251

I can add anything else but this damn mdf file.

thanks for all your help in advance.

0
bigdbingo

FYI to anyone who has had this problem and cannot find a resolution.  I have found the solution in a another forum:

From: Brian Piesik - view profile
Date: Mon, Feb 13 2006 3:20 pm
Email: Brian Piesik <bpie...@community.nospam>
Groups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.windowsforms

Not yet rated
Rating:

show options

Thanks Jeffrey,  the problem turned out to be a problem in Visual Studio
with an incorrect setting.

What I did was go into Tools, Options, Database Tools, Data Connections.

Under SQL Server Instance Name (blank for default) i had the following
in there:  MyComputerName\SQLEXPRESS

I changed it to the following:  SQLEXPRESS

I also tested it just leaving it blank and working too.

Of course I would love to say a favorite end user quote "I never changed
it", but I'm too geeky to know that.

Happy Coding!

Brian Piesik

0
bigdbingo
4/12/2006 6:10:58 PM

Thanks bigdbingo, for this valuable post

0
ganeshsadasivan

I created a website on my localhost with three .mdf files using SQL express but now I get an error when I try to host it on my web server without SQL express. need some help on how to change my connec
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred whil...

Sql 2005 mdf files uprage to Sql 2008 mdf files ?
hiwhat is different between SQL 2008 Server and SQL 2005 Server ?SQL 2008 Server is more fast for searching ?i created my *.mdf at Sql 2005. does it work at SQL 2008 ? does it work same performance with *.mdf that created with SQL 2008 ? can i uprage my *.mdf for sql 2008 ? what should i do ? ThanksMark as me if my question or my answer can be helpful for you :) I posted this link before http://www.angryhacker.com/blog/archive/2008/06/20/10-reasons-why-sql-server-2008-is-going-to-rock.aspx You can upgrade your MDF to SQL Server 2008, but you would not be able to downgrade.Beware of bu...

SQL Attached mdf database files VS database imported into or created in SQL Server 2005
 Hi all (newbie @ asp.net)(oldie @ ASP 3)What is the purpose of using an attached MDF database files in the App_Data folder on a web site as to importing it into the SQL server directly or creating it on the SQL server. Does a mdf database attached file purely use the SQL server as a connection interface.Is it something similiar to DSN(ODBC) Connections for ms access databases. AFAIK it is only for deployment conveniance, I have always imported the database directly into SQL Server and set up the connection string accordingly.Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the...

convert SQL 2005 express .mdf to SQL 2005
Hi Forum, I need some good info regards remote host requirements. I dev web app using VS 2005 express edition and SQL Server Management Studio express. Everything is ready to transfer to host running SQL 2005. My ? do I have to convert my SQL 2005 express .mdf to a SQL 2005 file type. (hosting company state I do, then save as .bak) much appreciate good data, Paul    A mdb file is Access based, an mdf file is the data file of SQL Server. They are not convertible. You will have to import the data from access or export / upsize from access to make them stored on the server.....

ms sql mdf database file attached vs created on sql server
 Hi allI have a question concerning sql database mdf files. In the old days I would user a ms access database. This file would be stored with the actual web files and would utilise a dsn connection. I have noted when designing with vwd 2005 express it allows you to use 2 methods of creating a mdf database. You can either create it as an attachment mdf or you can create it directly using sql manager. My question is, if you create the mdf database as an attachement file can you store it in the same manner as if you where using a ms access database, meaning can you store it with the w...

Problems attaching .mdf (SQL Server 2005) to SQL Server 2008
I've attached my mdf file from SQL Server Express 2005 to SQL Server 2008 and it created the new database but there are no tables or anything in it.  Will it work better with a backup file instead or in addition to the mdf?  Or have I done something wrong from the start. Check your permissions on the SQL 2008 machine make sure that you are listed in the Security > Users for the database.- WilliamPlease mark the most helpful reply/replies as "Answer".Give some of my PWSK modules a try. You should be able to attach SQL Server 2005's mdf file to a SQL Server ...

How to create a copy of SQL Server 2000 database in SQL Server 2005 Express?
I have a database called 'DB1' in SQL Server 2000. I want to create the same database in SQL Server 2005 Express including the original data in tables. How would I do that? I cannot find any option to do this upgrade in SQL Server Management Studio.sun21170 Check out this:How to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2005 with the Copy Database Wizard Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you! The article you mentioned does not apply to the 2005 Express Edition. The Management Studio for the Express Edition contains no Copy database opti...

upgrading from sql server 2005 express edition to sql server 2005 express with advanced services
If i have been using sql server 2005 express for developing my application and i decide to upgrade to sql server 2005 express with advanced services while still working on the same application, what will happen to my  application's database. Can i be able to continue with my work with out any major regrets.--------------------------------------------------No Project Too Eazy.-------------------------------------------------- I have answered you in this other thread there is no problem, if there is a problem I would have warned you.  Hope this helps.http://forums.asp.net/...

SQL Server 2005 Express Setup Error: SQL Server has detected incompatible components.....
I successfully installed VWD and the .NET 2.0 Beta Framework on my computer.  Shortly after I downloaded the SQL Server 2005 setup exe and got the following error while trying to install:ERROR MESSAGE"Microsoft SQL Server 2005 CTP SetupSQL Server 2005 has detected incompatible components from beta versions of Visual Studio, .NET Framework, or SQL Server 2005.  Use add or remove programs to remove these components, and then run SQL Server Setup again.  For detailed instructions on uninstalling SQL Server 2005, see the SQL Server 2005 read me."I've tried to circumvent this probl...

SQL Server Express and SQL Server 2005
can any one tell me what the main differences are in the two editions? also can you use and express 2005 edition database on sql 2005? if not how would you do that? Tuppers Look here for a detailed comparison between the two.Yes, you can use Express databases on SQL Server 2005. Just attach it to an instance of SQL Server 2005.Is this enough information?DonDon Kiely, MCP, MCSDIn the Last Frontier, Interior AlaskaPlease post questions and replies to the forum! And remember to MARK AS ANSWER when someone definitively answers a question or resolves a problem! cheers i was told by my host t...

SQL Server Express file to Sql Server
I would like to copy the schema and data of a sql server express database file to a SQL Server Database. How can this be done and what steps would I need to take?   Thanks for any helpTinyPond TinyPond:I would like to copy the schema and data of a sql server express database file to a SQL Server Database. How can this be done and what steps would I need to take? If you have Express Management Studio, you back backup your database, and them import it to SQL Server (or attach and reattach).Justs open SQL Server Express Management Studio, connect to your Express instanc...