Create a custom webpage to edit/update a table in a SQL database.

Hi everyone, this is is my first post, so please reply Stick out tongue and help.

I'm working on a project right now that uses asp 2.0 and SQL server 2005 express edition. This is a general idea of the project. In our company some of us receive ECO notifications (engineering change orders) for our products and we need to implement these to the test scripts that are on the production floor.  So the project is about entering the new ECO into a database which will send an automatic notification to our test team. When they receive the notification they will have to sign in to the website and introduce their login and password to sign off the ECO (Following some checkpoints already defined by me, for example, Area ready, Test script modification necessary, new firmware introduction, comments, etc...) but I also need to record WHO and WHEN sign that ECO. We have 3 different test areas in our factory: Electrical, Functional and Systems, so all THREE areas must be signed off in order to the ECO go to a IMPLEMENTED state (at this point i need to send a new email saying that the eco has been implemented in all three areas).

 So far I've completed the following things:

-users validation (logins, areas)

-New custom entry form for the ECOs and automatic email notification (part of what I did is described below).

 Dim ECODataSource As New SqlDataSource()ECODataSource.ConnectionString = ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings("ECO_ICSConnectionString1").ToString()

ECODataSource.InsertCommandType = SqlDataSourceCommandType.StoredProcedure

ECODataSource.InsertCommand = "EcoNew"

ECODataSource.InsertParameters.Add(
"EcoNumber", EcoNumberTextBox.Text)

ECODataSource.InsertParameters.Add("EcoDescription", EcoDescriptionTextBox.Text)

ECODataSource.InsertParameters.Add("EcoMandatory", EcoMandatoryDropDownList.Text)

 -Depending on which test area is the the engineering from, I can filter the ECOs and just shows the ones that their test area is pending. (using GridView)

But I'm stuck right now when the engineers have to sign the ECO for their test areas. I was able to use the Gridview and DetailsView to EDIT most of the things that I need. But there are somethings that I don't like:

1. When using the EDIT option on Gridview or Detailsview, all fields can be edited including ECO number, description and mandatory, which I don't want them to change. If I set those columns to read only, when editing that row again. It gives me an error that says that the ECOnumber can't be  NULL, but if I remove these 3 columns the Engineer will not know which ECO they have sign. They are only going to be able to see the EcoId, which doesn't say much.

2. Also I saw that I wasn't able to do is to enter the USER login and CURRENT system date and time automatically. I don't want them to manually enter the date and their login manually.

3. Finally, when the last area signs the ECO, I want to update that record and set a flag that tells me that the ECO has been completed.

 So what I really want is to create some sort of form (textboxes, labels, checkboxes, etc.) that will UPDATE the selected ECO from the gridview for instance. So when I select the row from the GridView, It will show the data (Econumber, description and mandatory as READ ONLY) and use the rest of the things as INPUT for the engineer to complete. At the end an "update button" and when I click it, It will enter/update the data on that specific row, but including the time and user login as well.

Also to check if the other 2 areas have signed and if so, change the ECOReadiness flag to 1 and send the email.

Is there a code like the one I used above to do this ? Or if you think there a better way to do this, I'll be very glad to hear it.

 I'm new using sql and asp, so If i'm asking some dumb questions please forgive me. Smile.

Here's my table definition for your reference:

EcoId - primary key.

EcoNumber

EcoDescription

EcoMandatory

EcoReadiness   <- Flag for the entire ECO, when ALL 3 areas have signed, this will be 1.

ATE < - Flag for Electrical area.

ATEscripts < - Just a Yes/no input.

ATEengineer <- user login

ATEdatetimestamp <- Date.Now()

FAT < - Flag for functional.

FATscripts

FATengineer

FATdatetimestamp

SYSTEMS < - Flag for systems.

SYSTEMSscripts

SYSTEMSengineer

SYSTEMSdatetimestamp

THANKS IN ADVANCE,

Regards,

Jesus

0
jaguerrero80

 dear jaguerrero, ur query#01 have been confusing me..  if possible send  ur  page.aspx and page.aspx.cs(code file) file...

Query#2:

USER LOGIN

if r u using ASP.NET built-in authentication feature than

In the Page_Load event handler, add the following line of code:

string  UserIdValue ;
UserIdValue = Membership.GetUser().ProviderUserKey.ToString()

CURRENT system date and time

 at database set ATEdatetimestamp 's default value  - getdate()

 Query#3:

        //after updating each area signing - write these code :
        string strSQL = "";
        string strCon = ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["ConnectionStringNAME"].ConnectionString;   //"Data Source=.;Initial Catalog=NorthWind;User ID=sa";
        SqlConnection con = new SqlConnection(strCon);
        con.Open();
        strSQL = "Select ATE, FAT, SYSTEMS From tableName Where EcoNumber = 'E001'"; //insert all selecting conditions
        SqlDataAdapter sda = new SqlDataAdapter(strSQL, con);
        DataTable dt = new DataTable();
        sda.Fill(dt);
        //i guess ur ATE, FAT, SYSTEMS and EcoReadiness - fields are bit field
        if (dt.Rows[0]["ATE"].ToString() == "True" && dt.Rows[0]["FAT"].ToString() == "True" && dt.Rows[0]["SYSTEMS"].ToString() == "True")
        //if all three flags are true then final flag is set to true.. so EcoReadiness flag tells u that the ECO has been completed
        {
            strSQL = "Update tableName Set EcoReadiness = 1 Where EcoNumber = 'E001'"; //
            SqlCommand cmdUpdate = new SqlCommand(strSQL, con);
            cmdUpdate.ExecuteNonQuery();
            cmdUpdate.Dispose();
        }

        con.Close();
        con.Dispose();

patuary
8/26/2007 7:42:30 AM

Hello Patuary! Thank you for your reply !...

 I've checked your ideas.. but is your code c# ?.. because I've got a lot of errors.. I forgot to tell that I was using Visual Basic... I tried to change some of the parts but I keep getting errors when running the app... There are a couple of questions I have regarding your code...

  • For the user login.. I changed a little bit your code..

'string UserIdValue ;  <-- didn't accept this way of declaring

'UserIdValue = Membership.GetUser().ProviderUserKey.ToString()    <-- this gave me a weird number

Dim useridvalue as string

useridvalue = Membership.GetUser().UserName.ToString()  <-- gives me the login name.

 But once I get this value.. how do I put it into the database?

  • I set the default value to GetDate() in the dabase .. but the CURRENT date and time that is stamped on the database is when I created the record (ECO).. but what i want is to stamp the date and time when the engineer signs his area.
  • Here's the code:

<%@ Page Language="VB" %>

<script runat="server">

'Event that links the gridview and Details view.

Protected Sub GridView1_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)

DetailsView1.PageIndex = GridView1.SelectedIndex

End Sub

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)Label2.Text = Date.Now()

'string UserIdValue ;

'UserIdValue = Membership.GetUser().ProviderUserKey.ToString()

Dim useridvalue As String

useridvalue = Membership.GetUser().UserName.ToString()

Label1.Text = useridvalue

End Sub

'This event will be used to check the other areas.... i would like to use this one to insert the user and date time

Protected Sub DetailsView1_ItemUpdated(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DetailsViewUpdatedEventArgs)

End Sub

</script>

<head runat="server">

<form id="form1" runat="server">

&nbsp;

<asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" AutoGenerateColumns="False"

DataKeyNames="EcoId" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1" Style="z-index: 100;

left: 214px; position: absolute; top: 184px" AllowPaging="True" AllowSorting="True" PageSize="5" OnSelectedIndexChanged="GridView1_SelectedIndexChanged">

<Columns>

<asp:CommandField ShowSelectButton="True" />

<asp:BoundField DataField="EcoNumber" HeaderText="EcoNumber" SortExpression="EcoNumber" />

<asp:BoundField DataField="EcoDescription" HeaderText="EcoDescription" SortExpression="EcoDescription" />

<asp:BoundField DataField="EcoMandatory" HeaderText="EcoMandatory" SortExpression="EcoMandatory" />

<asp:BoundField DataField="FAT" HeaderText="FAT" SortExpression="FAT" />

</Columns>

</asp:GridView>

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:ECO_ICSConnectionString1 %>"

DeleteCommand="DELETE FROM [ECOS] WHERE [EcoId] = @EcoId" InsertCommand="INSERT INTO [ECOS] ([EcoNumber], [EcoDescription], [EcoMandatory], [FAT], [FATscript], [FATfirmware], [FATbricks], [FATbscan], [FATcomments], [FATeng], [FATtime]) VALUES (@EcoNumber, @EcoDescription, @EcoMandatory, @FAT, @FATscript, @FATfirmware, @FATbricks, @FATbscan, @FATcomments, @FATeng, @FATtime)"

SelectCommand="SELECT [EcoId], [EcoNumber], [EcoDescription], [EcoMandatory], [FAT], [FATscript], [FATfirmware], [FATbricks], [FATbscan], [FATcomments], [FATeng], [FATtime] FROM [ECOS] WHERE ([FAT] = @FAT)"

UpdateCommand="UPDATE [ECOS] SET [EcoNumber] = @EcoNumber, [EcoDescription] = @EcoDescription, [EcoMandatory] = @EcoMandatory, [FAT] = @FAT, [FATscript] = @FATscript, [FATfirmware] = @FATfirmware, [FATbricks] = @FATbricks, [FATbscan] = @FATbscan, [FATcomments] = @FATcomments, [FATeng] = @FATeng, [FATtime] = @FATtime WHERE [EcoId] = @EcoId">

<DeleteParameters>

<asp:Parameter Name="EcoId" Type="Int32" />

</DeleteParameters>

<UpdateParameters>

<asp:Parameter Name="EcoNumber" Type="Int32" />

<asp:Parameter Name="EcoDescription" Type="String" />

<asp:Parameter Name="EcoMandatory" Type="String" />

<asp:Parameter Name="FAT" Type="Boolean" />

<asp:Parameter Name="FATscript" Type="Boolean" />

<asp:Parameter Name="FATfirmware" Type="Boolean" />

<asp:Parameter Name="FATbricks" Type="Boolean" />

<asp:Parameter Name="FATbscan" Type="Boolean" />

<asp:Parameter Name="FATcomments" Type="String" />

<asp:Parameter Name="FATeng" Type="String" />

<asp:Parameter Name="FATtime" Type="DateTime" />

<asp:Parameter Name="EcoId" Type="Int32" />

</UpdateParameters>

<SelectParameters>

<asp:Parameter DefaultValue="False" Name="FAT" Type="Boolean" />

</SelectParameters>

<InsertParameters>

<asp:Parameter Name="EcoNumber" Type="Int32" />

<asp:Parameter Name="EcoDescription" Type="String" />

<asp:Parameter Name="EcoMandatory" Type="String" />

<asp:Parameter Name="FAT" Type="Boolean" />

<asp:Parameter Name="FATscript" Type="Boolean" />

<asp:Parameter Name="FATfirmware" Type="Boolean" />

<asp:Parameter Name="FATbricks" Type="Boolean" />

<asp:Parameter Name="FATbscan" Type="Boolean" />

<asp:Parameter Name="FATcomments" Type="String" />

<asp:Parameter Name="FATeng" Type="String" />

<asp:Parameter Name="FATtime" Type="DateTime" />

</InsertParameters>

</asp:SqlDataSource>

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource2" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:ECO_ICSConnectionString1 %>"

DeleteCommand="DELETE FROM [ECOS] WHERE [EcoId] = @EcoId" InsertCommand="INSERT INTO [ECOS] ([FAT], [FATscript], [FATfirmware], [FATbricks], [FATbscan], [FATcomments], [FATtime], [FATeng]) VALUES (@FAT, @FATscript, @FATfirmware, @FATbricks, @FATbscan, @FATcomments, @FATtime, @FATeng)"

SelectCommand="SELECT [FAT], [FATscript], [FATfirmware], [FATbricks], [FATbscan], [FATcomments], [EcoId], [FATtime], [FATeng] FROM [ECOS]"

UpdateCommand="UPDATE [ECOS] SET [FAT] = @FAT, [FATscript] = @FATscript, [FATfirmware] = @FATfirmware, [FATbricks] = @FATbricks, [FATbscan] = @FATbscan, [FATcomments] = @FATcomments, [FATtime] = @FATtime, [FATeng] = @FATeng WHERE [EcoId] = @EcoId">

[...]

<asp:Label ID="Label2" runat="server" Style="z-index: 101; left: 695px; position: absolute;

top: 433px" Text="Label"></asp:Label>

<asp:Label ID="Label1" runat="server" Style="z-index: 102; left: 697px; position: absolute;

top: 465px" Text="Label"></asp:Label>

<asp:DetailsView ID="DetailsView1" runat="server" AutoGenerateRows="False" DataKeyNames="EcoId"

DataSourceID="SqlDataSource2" Height="50px" Style="z-index: 104; left: 227px;

position: absolute; top: 465px" Width="266px" OnItemUpdated="DetailsView1_ItemUpdated">

<Fields>

<asp:CheckBoxField DataField="FAT" HeaderText="FAT" SortExpression="FAT" />

<asp:CheckBoxField DataField="FATscript" HeaderText="FATscript" SortExpression="FATscript" />

<asp:CheckBoxField DataField="FATfirmware" HeaderText="FATfirmware" SortExpression="FATfirmware" />

<asp:CheckBoxField DataField="FATbricks" HeaderText="FATbricks" SortExpression="FATbricks" />

<asp:CheckBoxField DataField="FATbscan" HeaderText="FATbscan" SortExpression="FATbscan" />

<asp:BoundField DataField="FATcomments" HeaderText="FATcomments" SortExpression="FATcomments" />

<asp:BoundField DataField="EcoId" HeaderText="EcoId" InsertVisible="False" ReadOnly="True"

SortExpression="EcoId" />

<asp:BoundField DataField="FATtime" HeaderText="FATtime" SortExpression="FATtime" />

<asp:BoundField DataField="FATeng" HeaderText="FATeng" SortExpression="FATeng" />

<asp:CommandField ShowEditButton="True" />

</Fields>

</asp:DetailsView>

</form> </body>

0
jaguerrero80

I imported a SQL Table into SQL DataBase, But I can not update this table even with SQL Server management Studio
I imported a SQL Table into SQL DataBase, But I can not update this table even with SQL Server management Studio When I change any data on mentioned table above, Red exclamation sign appears left of the record . How can I correct this problem?  Thanks. Try running the UPDATE via Query Analyzer...and see if you get an error.***********************Dinakar NethiLife is short. Enjoy it.***********************...

Creating a custom migration process for SQL Remote databases / handling of SQL Remote tables
Hi all, I would like to invite you have a look at one more SQL Remote-related question on the SQLA website (particularly, as I have asked them:) http://sqla.stackexchange.com/questions/1080 Kind regards Volker ...

Why I cannot create/edit tables in VS.Net Server explorer for SQL Server 2000 Developer local database?
I found that when I install MSDE, then I can create/edit database objects for MSDE database in Visual Studio 2003 Server Explorer, but when I try to create/edit database objects under the default database created by the SQL Server 2000 installation, I cannot do these tasks as no option for these tasks appear when I right-click on the database object in Server Explorer.  Anyone knows why this is happening?sun21170 I reproed your issue. And I found in MSDN it is said the Server Explorer can: -Open and view Server Explorer -Add a data connection -Add a server -Drag a...

How to create SQL Mobile 2005 database from a MS SQL 2005 database?
Hi guys,I'm trying to find solutions to help me in creating a SQL Mobile 2005 database from a SQL 2005 database, with the same table structure and data.May I know how can I achieve this?Thanks.Regards,Jenson Hi Jenson, Visual Studio 2005 or SQL Server 2005 is able to open SQL Mobile 2005 database. However you need either SQL or .NET code to convert SQL Mobile 2005 database this way. Here is an example from MSDN forums which is to convert to xls instead: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=78640&SiteID=1Zhao Ji MaSincerely,Microsoft Online Community Suppo...

Creating new Tables/View in a SQL Database using VS.NET 2k3
Using server explorer in VS.NET, I can not create new tables or even views for a SQL database for exemple the Northwind DB. When I right click the Tables node I don't have anything labled Create new table, even for views.  Can someone point me how can switch to the design view in VS.NET?  In a Step by Step manner, please.  Thanks.I have been trying to change the world for years, but they just won't give me the source code! any help please?I have been trying to change the world for years, but they just won't give me the source code!...

Wanting to take info from one SQL table and update to a seperate SQL table

Move a Table from one SQL 2005 Database to Another SQL 2005 Database
I created a table in an SQL 2005 database, however, I want to move that table and the data to another SQL 2005 database (within the same server). I am new to SQL 2005 and detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bill You have two options the first is clean but the second is easier.  Try the links below for details.  Hope this helps. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174335.aspx http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188029.aspx  Kind regards,Gift Peddie Thanks, but the documentations is somewhat overwhelming and was hoping of a ba...

sqldataadapter update comand not updating sql database table
hi I am using follwing code to update a database table from datagrid . But it is not working . It is not giving any errors also .Pl help   <code> Dim adaptStatus As New SqlDataAdapter Dim paramsrno As New SqlParameter("@SRNO", SRNO) With adaptStatus .SelectCommand = New SqlCommand("usp_lpghse_getSelectedQuestion", Util.getConnection) .SelectCommand.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure .SelectCommand.Parameters.Add(paramsrno) End With With adaptStatus .UpdateCommand = New SqlCommand("usp_LpgHse_UpdateStatus", Util.getConnection) .UpdateCommand.CommandType = Comm...

How do I create a SQL 2005 database from a SQL 2000
I have a SQL 2000 database on one server that I'm trying to transfer to a new server.  The new server has Small Business Server R2 Premium Edition, which includes SQL 2005. I tried to transfer the database in the normal way that I'd create a copy database, which was: -1.   Backup the source database2.   Create a new database (empty) in the new server3.   Restore to this database from the backup taken in #1. Of course on previous occasions I wasn't changing version, but I expected that this would either fail immediately (message "incorrect...

New errors access MS SQL Server Database on (CREATE DATABASE and Batch SQL Statement)
------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C2F2CB.0C201FF0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm running ActiveState perl 5.8.0 on a WIN2K box with MS SQL Server = 2000. Recently I updated DBD-ODBC to v1.05 and DBI to v1.35 Now I get the following errors executing some sql commands CREATE SQLSTMT:[CREATE DATABASE POMS_SER ON (NAME =3D 'POMS_SER_DAT', = FILENAME =3D 'd:\Database\POMS\POMS_SER_Data.MDF', SIZE =3D 10MB) LOG ON = ( NAME =3D 'POMS_SER_LOG', FILENAME =3D = 'd:\Database\POMS\POMS_S...

SQL Attached mdf database files VS database imported into or created in SQL Server 2005
 Hi all (newbie @ asp.net)(oldie @ ASP 3)What is the purpose of using an attached MDF database files in the App_Data folder on a web site as to importing it into the SQL server directly or creating it on the SQL server. Does a mdf database attached file purely use the SQL server as a connection interface.Is it something similiar to DSN(ODBC) Connections for ms access databases. AFAIK it is only for deployment conveniance, I have always imported the database directly into SQL Server and set up the connection string accordingly.Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the...

Update table in SQL Database
Hi, I have a id field in sql database which is of data type varchar. I want to update multiple records in this table at once or in one query. Here is the code sqlBuilder.Append("Update Students set EventDate='2004/12/24' ") sqlBuilder.Append("Where ID IN (@StudIDs)") cmdStudent= New SqlCommand cmdStudent.Connection = connDB cmdStudent.CommandType = CommandType.Text cmdStudent.CommandText = sqlBuilder.ToString() cmdStudent.Parameters.Add("@StudIDs", SqlDbType.VarChar, 1000).Value = strStudentIDs cmdStudent.Prepare() cmdStudent....

Create Table syntax SQL in SQL Server 7
Hi guys, I need to pass some SQL to someone else who will run it on their database. I have got the SQL for SQL Server 2000 but they are running SQL Server 7. Apparently the below MSSQL 2000 script doesn't work; SET ANSI_NULLS ON GO SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON GO CREATE TABLE [dbo].[tableName]( [id] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL, [ArticleID] [int] NULL, [Heading] [text] COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL, [BodyContent] [text] COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL, [WrittenDate] [datetime] NULL, CONSTRAINT [tableName] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED ( [id] ASC )...

Creating a database in SQL Server using an SQL Script
Hi, I am trying to create the "Personal" database in my SQL server using the SQL script (Personal.sql) that is provided with the starter kit.  Does anyone know how I can run this script to create the database? Do I do it from the command line? If so how do I do this and can I use windows authentication to connect to the server? Many thanks in advance, Trevor Keast Hi,      We can run the scripts in two ways. 1. Open your Sql client , if it is sql server 2005 then sql management studio Run-->sqlwb,Sql server 2000 then isqlw. Login to your data...

Web resources about - Create a custom webpage to edit/update a table in a SQL database. - asp.net.sql-datasource

ERISA and All Claim databases
... laws, on the books in 18 states, requiring self-insured employers to report data about the prices they pay to “all payer claims databases.” ...

Sanders’ campaign looses access to N.H. Democratic voter database - The Boston Globe Sanders’ campaign ...
... the presidential campaign of US Senator Bernie Sanders has been denied access to the New Hampshire Democratic Party’s valuable voter database ...

Under pressure, DNC restores Bernie Sanders campaign's access to their database - Videos - CBS News
A strange twist in the race for the democratic presidential nomination: the campaign of Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders has filed a complaint ...

Over 680TB of data exposed in MongoDB databases
There are at least 35,000 publicly accessible and insecure MongoDB databases on the Internet, and their number appears to be growing. Combined ...

Database error publishes data of 3 million Hello Kitty fans
Online researcher Chris Vickery uncovered a database this weekend containing the personal information of 3.3 million accounts associated with ...

MacKeeper Leak Highlights Danger of Misconfigured Databases
The Shodan port-scanning service finds at least 35,000 MongoDB databases accessible without a password.

OracleVoice: Oracle Challenges SAP On In-Memory Database Claims
Companies that run SAP’s applications should know that most of those applications can perform much better on Oracle Database than on any other ...