Connecting to SQL 6.5 with VB.NET

Hi,

I am trying to connect to a SQL 6.5 database with VB.NET.
Is this possible, and if so, what kind of connection string is used and what mode of data access (OleDB, ODBC, etc.)
I have had several problems doing this and I am starting to wonder if there is anything special that needs to be done or if it is even possible. Thanks in advance!
0
mbtrumpet1

OleDB.  Check out http://www.connectionstrings.com/
Darrell Norton, MVP
Darrell Norton's Blog

DarrellNorton
4/6/2004 2:03:37 PM
Alright, I tried creating an OleDB Connection using Visual Studio.  I set up the connection and it connects fine.  I can view the tables and it says that it connects to the datasource.  But when I try to use the connection in the page I get this error:

System.ArgumentException: The .Net Framework Data Provider for OLEDB (System.Data.OleDb) does not support the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (MSDASQL). Use the .Net Framework Data Provider for ODBC (System.Data.Odbc). at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionString.ValidateNotMSDASQL(String progid) at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionString.ValidateParse() at System.Data.Common.DBConnectionString..ctor(String connectionString, UdlSupport checkForUdl) at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionString.ParseString(String connectionString) at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.set_ConnectionString(String value) at ask.testconn.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in \\cnsrfdiis01\intranet\ask\testconn.aspx.vb:line 31
Why would it be able to connect in the VS.NET Server Exlporer, but not in a page. I am just trying to open the database and close it. Here is the connection string I am using:
Provider=SQLOLEDB;Persist Security Info=False;User ID=crystal;Initial Catalog=lmsprod;Data Source=10.1.121.22;Use Procedure for Prepare=1;Auto Translate=True;Packet Size=4096;Workstation ID=AROCAPTEST;Use Encryption for Data=False;Tag with column collation when possible=False
Thanks in advance!
0
mbtrumpet1
4/6/2004 2:54:45 PM
Ok, I was wrong.  I went and checked, and you should be using the ODBC driver.  Sorry.  Try that and see if you still have the error.
Darrell Norton, MVP
Darrell Norton's Blog

DarrellNorton

How do I connect to SAW 5.5 with VB.NET/ADO.NET?
I want to connect to a SQL Anywhere 5.5 database running on a W2K Pro server, using VB.NET and ADO.NET. Here's how I connect to MS SQL Server with VB.NET and ADO.NET: gstrADOConnectionString = "Data Source=" & gstrServerName & ";" & _ "Initial Catalog=" & gstrDatabase & ";" & "Integrated Security=SSPI;" & _ "Connect Timeout=" & Convert.ToString(gshoADOConnectTimeout) Example: Data Source=PSI_Dell;Initial Catalog=BRM;Integrated Security=SSPI;Connect Timeout=60 Here's how I did it...

.Net Connection to SQL Anywhere 5.5
I am trying to connect to a SQL Anywhere database via VB.Net. The database was created by one of my clients. I am new to SQL Anywhere 5.5. Could someone please walk me through the process from setting up the DSN if needed to the end where I can display the data....the driver is wod50T.dll version (5.5.5.2817). I also notice that the database has a .dbf file extension (not dBase) which seems confusing but maybe I just am not up on SQL Anywhere version 5.5 Thanks in advance for any and all ideas and help. BrianB ...

connection between VB.net and SQL
 I would like to use VB2005.Net (Express) connect to MSSQL2005 (Express), how can I do it? I can complete the development via local database (with "attach" method in connection string).  I try the remote connection via client machine with string ("Data Source=w2000-vm1\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=ABC;Integrated Security=SSPI;Connect Timeout=30;User Instance=True") and it was still pop up error shown below (using web deployment for the client machine).  But I can do the same with Excel VBA sucessful. Error Message: See the end of this message for details o...

SQL CONNECTION WITH VB.NET 2003
Need of code to connect oracle database with vb.net 2003. pl help. rgds badma Using the ODP   Try Dim cString As String = ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("cString") connection = New OracleConnection(cString) connection.Open() Catch ex As Exception Throw ex Return False End Try   <appSettings><add key="cString" value="Data Source=xxxxx; User ID=xxxxx; Password=xxxx; Pooling=True; Min Pool Size=10; Max Pool Size=10" /> </appSettings>...

connecting from VB.NET to an online SQL database
Hi, I'm currently working on a project that consists of three parts:(1) an ASP.NET website(2) a VB.NET program(3) .mdf sql database that is shared between the program and the websiteso, because the database is shared, I need it to be uploaded to a web server, just like the website, but how can I connect my VB.NET program to the database?   Maybe I didn't get the question...The save way you connect from you asp.net application, with connection string, just change the server attribute in the connection string to the ip of the database serverTal GiladiSoftware engineerwww.ta...

Unable to connect .NET to SQL Express 5!!!!
Cannot someone please help me with following problem.  I am trying to create a program to update a sql datbase from.NET 2003.  I am doing this by using SQL Server Express 5.  The problem is, is that when I run the program and click the button to view the table in SQL Express 5 I keep getting an 'System.NullReferenceException' and the table is not shown. When I look at the debug details it says that 'object reference not set to an instance of an object'. Am not sure where am goin wrong as the connection is opened to the local server in SQL Expres...

Attach SQL DB to SQL Server 2005 using VB.Net
Is there any way to attach a SQL DB to SQL Server 2005 using VB.Net?  If so can you also set security? Can you rephrase your question? Attach SQL DB from which version of SQL server ? Look up books online for sp_attachdb and sp_detachdb.***********************Dinakar NethiLife is short. Enjoy it.*********************** I have a DB that was created in SQL Server 2005.  I have a website that displays data from systems all over the world.  Each system sends it's data to it's own DB.  The customer can then go to a website and see the data at real time.  What ...

PB 6.5 Connection To MS SQL Server 6.5
We have three servers running MS SQL Server 6.5. PB 5.0 applications (both PB client apps and PB apps running on the servers at night as part of batch jobs) have been running on them for a long time. Native drivers are used. I'm starting to replace these apps with PB 6.5 versions of them. With respect to two of the servers, I can connect to the databases from all the new apps - both client PC apps and batch apps. On the third server, I can connect to the databases using the client PC apps only. When the apps in the night job run, the CONNECT statement gets the following error ...

Sql Server Script File(.sql) Execution by Vb.net Code
I have a problem. I m working on "light weight sql server"  project.   and i want to execute .sql file through vb.net code with the help of sqldmo library and sqlns namespace. but i donot know any method to directly execute the .sql file. i am successfully making the full script of select database of sql server.   please help me.... thanks.... Hi, You can use SQL-DMO object in your .net projects by referencing Sqldmo.dll  file which is in  C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn  folder is default installation parameters are used. I...

PB 6.5 Apps Connection to MS SQL Server 6.5
We have three servers running MS SQL Server 6.5. PB 5.0 applications (both PB client apps and PB apps running on the servers at night as part of batch jobs) have been running on them for a long time. Native drivers are used. I'm starting to replace these apps with PB 6.5 versions of them. With respect to two of the servers, I can connect to the databases from all the new apps - both client PC apps and batch apps. On the third server, I can connect to the databases using the client PC apps only. When the apps in the night job run, the CONNECT statement gets the following error ...

PB 6.5 connection to SQL 6.5 problem when 2000 is installed
We have several PB 6.5 applications that connect (native) to Microsoft SQL Server 6.5. They have been running fine for me until I installed the MS SQL Server 2000 client tools on my computer. I still have the SQL 6.5 tools loaded. At some point I had also installed the SQL 7.0 client. I did not have any problems with my apps after that install, only after the 2000 installation. We uninstalled the SQL 2000 client and reinstalled the 6.5 client, but I am still having problems running the applications. I am getting an error message that states..."DDE Server Window: myapp.exe -...

VB.net connect to SQL Express Stored Procedure
Dear Experts, i am writing a VB.net window application. I created a SQL Express database inside the project. Inside the SQLExpress database, i created a stored procedure. I would like to know how to call that SP. Below is what i did and it raised a error "Missing provider" I tried to add "'Provider=SQLOLEDB;'", the missing provider error message gone but another error raised as below.. No error message available, result code: DB_E_ERRORSOCCURRED(0x80040E21). Sub PushtoDB() Dim con As OleDbConnection Dim cmd As OleDbCommand = New OleD...

Establish connection with SQL server from VB.Net application
I have application that is connecting to SQL Server and runs bunch of stored procedures, but I don't think that am able to connect to my database server. When it hits the line to execute the stored procedure it comes up with syntax error saying the syntax error is at the stored procedure. I know how to set up the connection string with web app from the web config, but never done it on an app. Here is the connection string pointing to my server which I pass to my SqlConnection object: "Data Source=ServerXXXX;Initial Catalog=DB;Integrated Security=True; User ID=xxxx; Password=xxxx;&qu...

Web resources about - Connecting to SQL 6.5 with VB.NET - asp.net.sql-datasource

Connecting rod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a reciprocating piston engine , the connecting rod or conrod connects the piston to the crank or crankshaft . Together with the crank, they ...

COVER BOY: Dec. 15 Issue of ‘Time’ Features Mark Zuckerberg on Connecting the World
The cover of the Dec. 15 issue of Time features a familiar face — that of Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg , the star of a long feature ...

Connecting People to Brands and Products on Mobile
People come to Facebook not only to connect with friends and family but also with products and brands. Here's how we're making it easier to list ...

What stops users from connecting with an app through Facebook?
... This equals 850 million users who connect with apps using Facebook at a 59 percent conversion rate. About 590 million users back out of connecting ...

Cold Christmas Bubbles - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle for Kids on the App Store on iTunes
Get Cold Christmas Bubbles - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle for Kids on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews. ...

Connecting a Relay to Arduino - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Simple circuit to connect a 5V relay to one of the digital output pins of the Arduino. I drew this after a few threads showed up on the Arduino ...

Evidence Connecting Scott Roeder to Operation Rescue Found in Roder's Car - YouTube
Rachel Maddow unveils video evidence from KMBC TV in Kansas City of a note found in Scott Roeder's car at the time of his arrest for the murder ...