Can't get SQL Server Express to install

I'm using the disk that came with my Visual Web Developer for Dummies book.  It installed on my XP Home machine, but when installing on my XP Pro machine, the fourth step, SQL Server Express, it fails.  I cleaned up my hard drive (about ten gigs of free space), I followed the steps here http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/support/readme/default.aspx to uninstall everything dot net related.  Rebooted, checked my control panel, etc.  Tried to install.  It just fails.  No error message.

Can anyone give me an idea of where to start?

Clayton

Try to install the version on msdn rather then on the CD and see if it works.  Here is the link for the download.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/default.aspx

Never Quit
0
hoopslife
9/1/2006 1:48:59 AM

Ha ha ha.  Never quit.

Banging my head against the wall, or trying to get this thing to work?

I was thinking about my gov't issued perpetual virus scan, and thought I'd disable it.  And then some time ago I had to do something (that never worked) regarding permissions to the INETPUB folder.  And another source also suggested a direct download.  Which is what I'll try next.  I think I'll try it first in the 'repair' mode if it's available (as it is on the disk - it recognizes that the first three options installed properly and offers up the fourth).

0
Clayton
9/1/2006 1:45:14 PM

Success!

I had already disabled the virus scan, and so don't know if that had anything to do with it.  But the download of just the SQL Server says it was successful.  My dot net 2.0 framework was detected (it must be installed first), and it sailed thru like it should have in the first place.

As I think I mentioned in my first post, installation on my other laptop (wife's) with XP Home went perfect from the disk.  A little weird that my old standby wouldn't work with it, but I'll accept it.  And get started with what appears to be some very cool stuff.

0
Clayton
9/1/2006 2:15:21 PM
I came across an issue on installing.  When operating from the disk in the Visual Web Developer for Dummies book, the SQL Server just failed.  No messages.  When downloading from MicroSoft, I got a message that the c:\program files\microsoft sql server folder couldn't be compressed.  So, while that message was up, I went thru explorer to change the properties of it.  More than a few times, exe and dll files came up that were in use and couldn't be uncompressed.  I finally hit the ignore all button and hoped for the best.  When it was finished, I went back to the installation routine and hit continue.  And it appears to have worked.
0
Clayton

Can't seem to install SQL server 2005? Install completes, but where is SQL Server 2005
I went to one of the Microsoft "Ready To Launch" events over a year ago. Microsoft was gracious and gave everyone who attended a free copy of Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2005. I have installed the Visual Studio and use it all of the time. I also installed the SQL server 2005 but I can not find the application on my computer. After the install the only items that appear to have been installed are the following: SQL Server Configuration tools(SQL Server Configuration manager,SQL Server  Error and usage reporting, SQL Server surface area confiuration, Reporting Services configu...

Installation of SQL Server 2008 Express blows up before installing actual server, can't repair or continue it.
 I tried to installl SQL Server 2008 Express edition on my personal desktop.  I started off by chosing to install an unclustered version (don't know the difference between clustered and unclustered so I chose the first) and then it said I had all the requirements, all checks went through it even installd the management studio express.  But when it was installing the server, it went through and then just stopped through giving an error message saying there was an error in installation.  I had uninstalled previous versions of SQL server 2005 and compact, but it was just...

Can't connect to SQL 2005 Express with SQL Server Management Studio Express
I've seen the following error posted when people try to connect to their server via their applications but didn't see anyone having problems when trying to connect with SQL Server Management Studio Express. Am I missing something here? This is the error:<<An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)(Microsoft SQL Server, Erro...

Can't get SQL Express Installed
Hi- I had previously had VS2005 Beta installed from my MSDN discs. When it expired, I uninstalled it and downloaded VWD Express to install. VWD installed fine, but the SQL Server Express will not install. The VWD install package doesn't give me any feedback, just says it failed. I tried dowloading and installing SQL Express separately, and it tells me that I have to uninstall all components from other versions. I have done that, but still wont install. If I use the uninstall utility on the website, it tells me it can't find any components, and all of the components listed in the manual unin...

Can't install SQL Server Express CTP
I'm having trouble installing the April CTP of SQL Server Express.  I'm trying to install it on a relatively clean Windows 2003 Server machine.  This server previously had SQL Server 2000 installed but does not anymore.  It has .NET 1.1 and I've installed .NET 2.0 beta 2.  It has never had any other .NET 2.0 betas or CTPs, and has never had SQL Server Express or SQL Server 2005.  When I run SQL Server Express setup I get this error: SQL Server 2005 CTP Setup has detected incompatible beta components from Visual Studio or SQL Server.  You must r...

How can I get the 'entire' database, structure and data, from SQL server 2008 to SQL server 2005?
1) I can't get the 'copy database' function to work from SQL Server 2008 to SQL Server 2005. I connect ok. Everything goes to the last step and then it fails.2) I cant get a SQL server 2008 backup to restore on SQL SEerver 2005 either. The only way I know that works is to script the creation of all tables then export and import. This does work. How can I get the 'entire' database, structure and data, from 2008 to 2005? ThanksSQL newbie. Visual Studio 2008 supports a type of project called a database project. You might try importing the schema of t...

Can't install sql server 2005 express
Hi,When i try to install Sql server 2005 Express i get the following error: http://kirkov.dk/img/sql_error.jpgAnyone know a solution for this problem? Thanks.    My site - http://www.kirkov.dk I think i found the error, http://kirkov.dk/img/sqlSupport_error.jpg  So how do i fix this? My site - http://www.kirkov.dk Why are you trying to install 64bits Express are you running 64bits operating system?  If the answer is no then go download the X86 that is the 32bits version.  Hope this helps.Kind regards,Gift Peddie Thanks for the...

SQL Server Express 2005: Can't change the login password for my sql login
I recently changed the database for the Web Site Administration Tool that comes with ASP.Net 2.0.  When I clicked the security tab, I kept getting an error on the page saying: There is problem with your selected data store.  This can be caused by an invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission.  It can also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled.  Click the button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data store. The following message may help in diagnosing the problem:  Login failed for user '<myloginu...

Can I install SQL 2005 Server Express on a machine that has SQL 2000 Server
I have a dedicated server running SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2003.  Can I install SQL Server 2005 express so that I can run sites developed with VWD Express.  I still have the sites that need to use the sql 2000 server.  Thanks Yes but it best that the sql server 2000 instances be upgraded to service pack 4.http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345154.aspx Silverlight-helpVb TipsSpace Coast .Net User Group...

Can't install 6.4 due to SQL Server 2005 already installed
Does anyone know if there is a requirement for installing PatchManagement 6.4 that SQL Server 2005 cannot be already installed on the server? The installation wizard will not let me get past the Server Requirements validation stage because there are entries for SQL Server 2005 in the server's Registry. I hope I don't have to uninstall SQL Server in order for this to install. If that is the case then I will not be able to use Novell's PatchManagement software. Any help here will be appreciated. thanks, Kay -- KayRose --------------------------------------...

Web resources about - Can't get SQL Server Express to install - asp.net.sql-datasource