Can't get SQL Express Installed

Hi-

I had previously had VS2005 Beta installed from my MSDN discs. When it expired, I uninstalled it and downloaded VWD Express to install. VWD installed fine, but the SQL Server Express will not install. The VWD install package doesn't give me any feedback, just says it failed. I tried dowloading and installing SQL Express separately, and it tells me that I have to uninstall all components from other versions. I have done that, but still wont install. If I use the uninstall utility on the website, it tells me it can't find any components, and all of the components listed in the manual uninstall instructions are missing, so I can't find anything further to uninstall. (FYI: I'm running XP Pro SP2).

I'm wondering if a registry setting or something didn't get updated on uninstall. I see a registry folder for "Microsoft SQL Server" but I do not know if this could be getting in the way.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Moz

0
MozMan

I guess the issue is caused by imcompletely uninstalled VS2005 beta components. You can find SQL Server setup logs under the "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup\Bootstrap\LOG\Files" folder. However the logs are always verbose to read. So it may be better to uninstall all existing VS2005 components completely, please refer to this article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/support/uninstall/default.aspx

Welcome to my SQL/ASPNET forum for Chinese
http://51up.org/bbs/forumdisplay.php?fid=38
0
Iori_Jay
5/19/2006 3:46:06 AM

Yeah, I followed the uninstall instructions, but none of the programs to uninstall are in my list. I looked at the logs (thanx for the lead on that) and it appears that the errors are thrown when it loads the msi.dll. The errors in the log indicate that it's finding incompatible versions of the following:

  • Microsoft SQL Server 2005 CTP
  • Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Notification Services CTP
  • Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Data Transformation Services CTP

But I've already uninstalled all of these... It really seems like the uninstall was somehow not complete and I need to let the registry know somehow... I just don't know how to do that.

Any further help appreciated. Thanx!

-Moz

0
MozMan
5/22/2006 3:50:29 PM

I got this straightened out. Nothing was working, but I stumbled on this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/30/487096.aspx

and the steps and tools he provided did the necessary clean up for me, after which I was able to get the express edition installed.

Thanx for the help!

-Moz

0
MozMan

Can't get SQL Server Express to install
I'm using the disk that came with my Visual Web Developer for Dummies book.  It installed on my XP Home machine, but when installing on my XP Pro machine, the fourth step, SQL Server Express, it fails.  I cleaned up my hard drive (about ten gigs of free space), I followed the steps here http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/support/readme/default.aspx to uninstall everything dot net related.  Rebooted, checked my control panel, etc.  Tried to install.  It just fails.  No error message.Can anyone give me an idea of where to start?Thanks Try to install...

Can't connect to SQL 2005 Express with SQL Server Management Studio Express
I've seen the following error posted when people try to connect to their server via their applications but didn't see anyone having problems when trying to connect with SQL Server Management Studio Express. Am I missing something here? This is the error:<<An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)(Microsoft SQL Server, Erro...

Can't seem to install SQL server 2005? Install completes, but where is SQL Server 2005
I went to one of the Microsoft "Ready To Launch" events over a year ago. Microsoft was gracious and gave everyone who attended a free copy of Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2005. I have installed the Visual Studio and use it all of the time. I also installed the SQL server 2005 but I can not find the application on my computer. After the install the only items that appear to have been installed are the following: SQL Server Configuration tools(SQL Server Configuration manager,SQL Server  Error and usage reporting, SQL Server surface area confiuration, Reporting Services configu...

Installation of SQL Server 2008 Express blows up before installing actual server, can't repair or continue it.
 I tried to installl SQL Server 2008 Express edition on my personal desktop.  I started off by chosing to install an unclustered version (don't know the difference between clustered and unclustered so I chose the first) and then it said I had all the requirements, all checks went through it even installd the management studio express.  But when it was installing the server, it went through and then just stopped through giving an error message saying there was an error in installation.  I had uninstalled previous versions of SQL server 2005 and compact, but it was just...

Can't install SQL Server Express CTP
I'm having trouble installing the April CTP of SQL Server Express.  I'm trying to install it on a relatively clean Windows 2003 Server machine.  This server previously had SQL Server 2000 installed but does not anymore.  It has .NET 1.1 and I've installed .NET 2.0 beta 2.  It has never had any other .NET 2.0 betas or CTPs, and has never had SQL Server Express or SQL Server 2005.  When I run SQL Server Express setup I get this error: SQL Server 2005 CTP Setup has detected incompatible beta components from Visual Studio or SQL Server.  You must r...

Can't install sql server 2005 express
Hi,When i try to install Sql server 2005 Express i get the following error: http://kirkov.dk/img/sql_error.jpgAnyone know a solution for this problem? Thanks.    My site - http://www.kirkov.dk I think i found the error, http://kirkov.dk/img/sqlSupport_error.jpg  So how do i fix this? My site - http://www.kirkov.dk Why are you trying to install 64bits Express are you running 64bits operating system?  If the answer is no then go download the X86 that is the 32bits version.  Hope this helps.Kind regards,Gift Peddie Thanks for the...

SQL Server Express 2005: Can't change the login password for my sql login
I recently changed the database for the Web Site Administration Tool that comes with ASP.Net 2.0.  When I clicked the security tab, I kept getting an error on the page saying: There is problem with your selected data store.  This can be caused by an invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission.  It can also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled.  Click the button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data store. The following message may help in diagnosing the problem:  Login failed for user '<myloginu...

cpan>install NET::SSH ----> Can't install NET::SSH don't know what it is?
Good day! This is the first time I'll be using the cpan to install modules. I run: perl -MCPAN -e shell and answer the questions one by one. When its done, I issued install NET::SSH at the cpan> prompt and I got the message: Can't install NET::SSH Don't know what it is. Question: How will I make cpan> know what NET::SSH is? Is there something I have to update first? How can I search for some useful modules using cpan> rather than using cpan search in www.cpan.org? What is auto bundle? And what does 'cpan -a' does? When I ran it, I can some...

Can't get SQL 2008 AdventureWorks download to install
I keep getting the error message:"PrepInstance () failed for MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS. The following features are missing 'Full Text Search'. Fix the problems & re-run set up."I have that Full Text Search sample program in my 100\samples folder. What do I need to do ??  Rae Edit/update: I had the wrong version of SQL Express 2008 - You need the version with advanced tools.  ...

Can't install SQL Express part of VWD on Build 45
I attempted to do a complete clean install on my Dell laptop of VWD build 45, yet every time I try to install it, at the end of the installation I get the following error (in  the error report) which refuses to allow me to install SQL express (everything else is installed fine). The laptop is only a month old and previously had SQl 2000 and VS.NET 2003, which were both uninstalled prior to installing beta 2. Here is all of the error information I can glean, from messages, then event viewer, then logs: Error signature: Eventype sql90setup p1:do_sqlscript p2:0x7369 p3:odbcconnection...

Web resources about - Can't get SQL Express Installed - asp.net.sql-datasource