Can't connect to SQL 2005 Express with SQL Server Management Studio Express

I've seen the following error posted when people try to connect to their server via their applications but didn't see anyone having problems when trying to connect with SQL Server Management Studio Express. Am I missing something here? This is the error:

<<
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)(Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2)

The server is not remote so I don't see why I need to enable remote connection. I am also using the default connection settings.
0
nthpixel

Are U using 'Windows Authentication' or SQL Server Auth?

While trying to login as 'sa' on my SQLServ2005 Express, I'm getting a bunch of errors like...

Login failed for user 'sa'. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18452)

No idea why !!!

 I thought 'sa' was the ultimate super-user login. If 'sa' is not a trusted connection, then who is... sounds like a big joke !!

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau
0
BugSlayer
3/10/2006 2:09:23 PM

I figured out the solution to my problem. By default, the Server Managaement Studio tried to connect to my computer name. It turns out when you install SQL 2000 Express, the default instance name is SQLEXPRESS. So when connecting, I just changed the server name to <computer name>\SQLEXPRESS and it worked!

As to your problem BugSlayer, I have seen that error before. It was due to the fact that the server was configured to allow only windows authentication. It has to be set to "mixed authentication" or "both windows and sql authentication" (I forget what the exact words were). I tried to look for the setting but couldn't find it. I set mine explicitly during installation. Hope that helps.

0
nthpixel
3/10/2006 6:27:31 PM

Thanks NthPixel.

Actually my installation of SQL 2005 Express was an accident waiting to happen. I had installed on top of an existing MSDE (from VS 7.0) and for reasons unknown the 'sa' account was locked out PLUS built-in/Administrators did not have any grant rights. A classic catch-22 situation !!

Had to uninstall both SQLExpr & MSDE and reinstall SQLExpr with mixed auth mode this time, and now I'm able to use both types of authentications. Although our symptons match, the problem on my machine basically arised from upgrading MSDE to SQLServer 2005 Express.

If any of U have such a setup, please remove and simplify it before it blows up in to a massive disaster at some future critical juncture.

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau
0
BugSlayer

Can I connect to remote SQL 2005 server through SQL Server Management Studio Express?
Can I connect to remote SQL 2005 server through SQL Server Management Studio Express? I always get a error code 18456 when I try to connect to SQL 2005 server through SQL Server Management Studio Express. I'm sure I enter correct username and password!SuperCool Multiple ZIP - A utility to unzip multiple files and work with multiple zip filesSuperCool Random Number Generator The answer is yes its possible but it depends on the security configuration of the remote server.Hope it helps,Joe http://www.joeaudette.comhttp://www.mojoportal.com oh wait. I don't have the Express...

Can SQL Express db be opened with SQL Server 2005 Management Studio?
I'm trying to open a SQL Express database (MDF) with SQL Server 2005 management Studio.  Is that possible?  I'm getting the following error:   The specified file is either not a SQL Server Compact Edition file  or is corrupt. It opens fine in Visual Studio 2005. Also, is it possible to run a script in Visual Studio 2005?  If so, how? Thanks, Alex  Detach/Close the file from visual studio and then attach it in management studio.Save our world, its all we have! A must watch video Pale Blue Dot Please use the search feature of the forum before a...

SQL Server Express 2005: Can't change the login password for my sql login
I recently changed the database for the Web Site Administration Tool that comes with ASP.Net 2.0.  When I clicked the security tab, I kept getting an error on the page saying: There is problem with your selected data store.  This can be caused by an invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission.  It can also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled.  Click the button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data store. The following message may help in diagnosing the problem:  Login failed for user '<myloginu...

SQL Express

USER CAN'T CONNECT THE REPORTING SERVER (AD USERNAME) using SQL SERVER MANAGMENT STUDIO 2005
Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE ...

upgrading from sql server 2005 express edition to sql server 2005 express with advanced services
If i have been using sql server 2005 express for developing my application and i decide to upgrade to sql server 2005 express with advanced services while still working on the same application, what will happen to my  application's database. Can i be able to continue with my work with out any major regrets.--------------------------------------------------No Project Too Eazy.-------------------------------------------------- I have answered you in this other thread there is no problem, if there is a problem I would have warned you.  Hope this helps.http://forums.asp.net/...

Can I use SQL 2005 Management studio to connect to SQL 2000 server?
Hi,Can I use SQL 2005 Management studio to connect to SQL 2000 server?   You certainly can!I only use SQL 2005 Management Studio for accessing all my 2000/2005 instances/databases. ...

how can associated 'sa' with a trusted SQL Server connection in sql server 2005?
I want to use sa user login sql server 2005 to visit my database "dotnet20" but when I set the user property in User Mapping, It Report when I set it, An Error Occur like followCannot use the special principal 'sa'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 15405)and also when I want to Login sql server use 'sa' user, It Report Login failed for user 'sa'. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18452)how can  associated 'sa' with a trusted SQL Server connection? I'm having this exact same problem. When I login using Windows authent. I can co...

can't view .mdf files in Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express
I am unable to view any .mdf files in Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express, even though it is looking for an .mdf extension.  Why is this?  Is this a limitation of the Express version?More specifically i want to view the aspnetdb.mdf file that is created with each web application.Any thoughts?  Thanks.Jason...

Web resources about - Can't connect to SQL 2005 Express with SQL Server Management Studio Express - asp.net.sql-datasource

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in business and organizations is the function that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives using available ...

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in businesses and organizations is the function that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives by using ...

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in business and organizations is an art that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives using available ...

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in business and organizations is the function that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives using available ...

Smarkets: Online betting company with ‘self management’ structure
... the reality for the team at Smarkets , an online betting company based near London’s Silicon Roundabout. The business is run with a “self-management” ...

Agile Project Management in a Larger Organisation – Video of my talk
I was recently asked to do a short talk and Q&A for an agile project management meetup in London. You can see the full video here: https://s ...

Grab a project management bundle worth almost $4,000 for $49
... making a change, this training bundle could have you working as a project manager by 2016. Get all the tools you need to get your Project Management ...

When Successful Brands Defy Brand Management
The rules for developing and managing brands are laid out in a range of principles and frameworks developed by extraordinary marketing minds. ...

Master project management with two massively discounted certification courses
In the professional sphere, experience with project management is one of the most valuable skills you can have. Starting is harder than just ...

10 Most Widely Used Content Management Systems Online
... software. The 21st century brought with itself a revolution in the field of website designing and development in the form of Content Management ...