An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allo

My site works fine in VWD2008 express, but I get this error when I try to use it on my live website.
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
According to this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914277  I am supposed to:
1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft SQL Server 2005, point to Configuration Tools, and then click SQL Server Surface Area Configuration.

Ok, there is no such program in this folder.  The only thing in there is "SQL Server Error and Usage Reporting"...

 The other thing I am greatly concerned with is this:  All is want is for my webpages to be able to access my database for user authentication.  I DO NOT want to grant the internet rights to remote connect to my database.

I'd rather live with false hope than with false despair.
0
some_yahoo
1/23/2008 1:11:54 AM
๐Ÿ“ asp.net.sql-datasource
๐Ÿ“ƒ 29906 articles.
โญ 0 followers.

๐Ÿ’ฌ 4 Replies
๐Ÿ‘๏ธโ€๐Ÿ—จ๏ธ 1510 Views

Make sure you have tcp/ip enabled on the server.  by default it seems to be disabled. (sql configuratin manager)

Peter Kellner
http://73rdstreet.com and blogging at
http://PeterKellner.net
MVP, ASP.NET
0
pkellner
1/23/2008 5:38:02 AM

Sorry, I can't find what your talking about

I'd rather live with false hope than with false despair.
0
some_yahoo
1/23/2008 9:57:58 PM

I'm not sure what I had downloaded before, but when I spent the 8 hours downloading and intalling SQL Server
go to this page http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/bb410792.aspx
and download
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Toolkit

I'd rather live with false hope than with false despair.
0
some_yahoo
1/25/2008 12:41:41 AM

Hi,I beleive this problem has been discussed many times within this forum. You can perform a search in this site and will get an answer.  Some suggestions like this:

Having the same problem... here is how i resolved it.

Start -> Microsoft SQL Server 2005 -> Configuration Tools -> SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration.

Configure Surface Area for localhost -> Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connections

MSSQLSERVER + Database Engine -> Remote Connections

Select 'Local and remote connections' instead of 'Local connections only'

Select the appropriate option under this option, i picked Using both TCP/IP and named pipes.

See more information at: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=180598&SiteID=1
Hope my suggestion helps

Please remember to click โ€œMark as Answerโ€ on the post that helps you, and to click โ€œUnmark as Answerโ€ if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
0
Bo