SQL Server 2000 with Visual Studio .NET 2005

Current Situation:  SQL Server 2000 DB using ASP 3.0 front-end.  Uses form based user security (i.e. users register online, setup their own profile info, and select their desired group/role).  I as admin, activate there account upon receipt.  Simply uses a user and group table within the DB and links to other tables so I know what user has edited what record(s).  Typical ASP 3.0 web enabled db application.

Goal or Desire: To bring the SQL Server 2000 DB inside a Visual Studio .NET 2005 environment and recreate all ASP 3.0 pages to ASP.NET pages.

Concerns:  User/Role security conversion being that VS.NET 2005 offers the Website Administration Tool.

Assumptions:  If I understand correctly how the VS.NET 2005 IDE works, using the Website Admin Tool automatically creates a NEW SQL database called aspnetdb strictly for user security and not linked to the main database?  If so, I would need to somehow link this new "aspnetdb" database to my main already created SQL Server 2000 DB since my intent is to define a relationship between records and a user that edits them. Am I on the right track?

Feedback?  Comments?  Guidance?

Thank you,

Jayme

0
jayme27
11/14/2007 5:34:59 PM
📁 asp.net.security
📃 27051 articles.
⭐ 1 followers.

💬 1 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 991 Views

I found the answer in this forum, so all you classic ASP designers seeking to turn to the dark side of ASP.NET with your existing web-enabled DB applications by adopting the Visual Studio .NET 2005 IDE, here's the way you ...

To add the Membership schema to an existing SQL Server 2000 database, just fire up the aspnet_regsql.exe tool and point it to your SQL Server 2000 database. Then, update your Web.config, adding a connection string and pointing the SqlMembershipProvider to using this alternate connection string.  Thereafter, the standard Web Administration Tool within VS .NET 2005 will now point to your SQL Server 2000 db as opposed to using the "aspnetdb" databse that VS.NET 2005 creates automatically for project security (i.e. users, roles, membership).

  http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/08/25/423703.aspx or http://forums.asp.net/t/1181686.aspx or http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/040506-1.aspx

Telling the Membership Providers to Use Your Application's Existing Database is useful for us classic ASP guys who are taking their existing web-enabled db applications and rewriting their front-ends in ASP.NET using Visual Studio .NET 2005.

THIS SOLVES THAT PROBLEM.

Jayme
0
jayme27