Role base authorization - deny ? vs. allow role

I am developing a web app and I need to set the security setting on a role base.

I tried to set as follow:
<authorization>

<allow roles="Admin, Users"></allow>
<deny users="?" />
</authorization>
Even though I only want to allow roles as Admin or Users, I found whoever has correct username and password would be permitted access. If I changed to
<authorization>

<allow roles="Admin, Users"></allow>
<deny users="*" />
</authorization>
It would behave correctly. Does this make sense?
Thanks!
0
tomaki

That should do it.

? - for anonymous users
* - all users.
-aka
0
aka

Roles, roles, roles
Hey is it posible o have a role for a user to only update the content? I don't want that user to change skins or to make other admin changes... up I think if you allow a role to edit contents on a module level he wont be able to change anything else. Did you try that? cheers, erikErik van Ballegoij, The Netherlands if you allow a role to edit contents in a module lets say discussions module, then that role will be able to edit, delete the threads. so for a role to be able to add new thread only, do we need to write our own code?-keeara g------------------ keeara, see...

Authorization Manager (AzMan) -v- .NET role based security
Comparing Windows Authorization Manager (AzMan) with .NET role based security, consider an application with these requirements: The roles which will exist at run time are completely user-definable. Role/operation assignments are completely user-definable. Need hierarchical role support (create roles from other roles). Users may be assigned different roles for different things. Windows Authorization Manager seems to provide all the above, with user definable roles, operations, role/task/operation assignments, hierarchical roles, "scopes" to give users different roles for differe...

No roles found... but roles-based security works anyway!!!????
Hello, I wrote a ASP.NET 2.0 application using the Membership framework for security (roles and users). For debugging purposes I wrote some code in the index.aspx page to simply write out a list of all the roles that exist, using the good old Response.Write() method. I then published the site to my domain. However, the behavior of the index page is dependent on the running environment as follows: IN VS 2005 ACCESSING LOCAL SQLSERVER: Runs great, all roles listed. IN VS 2005 ACCESSING REMOTE (i.e. "LIVE") SQLSERVER: Runs great, all roles listed. IN A WEB BROWSER VIEWING THE PUBLI...

role-based authorization -- user role part is not working
Hi, I followed this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/SecNetch08.asp to setup role based authorization. However the 'isinrole' part didn't work. 'user.Identity.Name' works correctly. I set a few breakpoints and started debug. In the 'locals' window, under 'Me-User-..-ticket', there is nothing for 'UserData'. What did I do wrong? here is how I created the ticket. During the debug, I can see value for roles is correct ("0"). i used numbers for the roles not words. authTicket = New FormsAuthenticationTicket(1, username, DateTime.Now, DateT...

Setting Role cookie in Role Based Authorization
Hi, When using Role Based Authorization, we can set the Roles of a user at the application level by specifying it in the Global.asax's Application_AuthenticateRequest method. As soon as a user is authenticated, it will fetch his roles from the database and assign it to him so that we can use the User.IsInRole("RoleName") to check his role and perform actions based on the same. You can find many resources on the above topic on how to set the roles. However, one disadvantage is that on every page you check the Role, the DB call is made which might affect the performance of ...

Dynamically modify page role permissions in Role Based Security
All, Is it possible to configure page role access within a WebForm. Suppose I have the following section in my web.config:  <system.web> <roleManager enabled="true"/> </system.web> <location path="MyPage.aspx"> <system.web> <authorization> <allow roles="PM"/> <deny users="*"/> </authorization> </system.web> </location>  Is it possible to provide a user interface/webform that allows an "administrator" a person to change t...

Duplicate Security Roles Showing up In Security Roles Manager
Anyone have any ideas?  We have had and instance of 3.0.13 with one child portal running for about a month now.  A few days ago our adminstrator noticed that we have duplicate entries for security roles. For example, the Security Roles Manager shows:Name Description Fee Every Period Trial Every Period Public Auto   Administrators Portal Administration         False False   Administrators Portal Administration         False False  Registered Users Registered Users    &n...

Role based authorization (Based on Location)
I have worked with .net 2.0 Personalization and Authorization but I am wondering if it is possible to customize it (custom provider) to Match a Role to a Location when assigning to a User.  Here is an example....  //*****************************  User ID : 19 (Bob) Bob is an administrator for store 19 but... Bob is a view only user for store 20 and 24. When Bob searches products, he can only search stores 19, 20, 24 (an easy way to return Role and Location associated) (Think a lot of locations (100+) so it does not make sense to create a Role for each Location AdminStore...

- can we use groups,users and role-based security authorization with XP
I have my solution in XP. Can i still practice Windows authentication and role-based security and context.current.identity techniques in my XP pro station Where is the best place to learn quickly .Net security and with practice and exmamples pls since I have hard time understanding the value and usage and implementation of all this. Thank youThanks a lot, I appreciate your taking the time to help me. Hi Tutus, I recently published a blog post that talks about how to enable Windows authentication using ASP.NET 2.0.  You can read it here: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/0...

Configuring Roles and Security within VS.NET to use SQL2000/Access
Hi   Is there anyway to get the roles and security controls to use an EXISTING database which is either SQL2000 or an Access 2000 database? TIA and regards John Here's a post explaining how to hook up the ASP.Net v2 security to SQL Server 2000 or 2005. ...

Role based security based on Windows authentication
Hello there, A newbie question here.. I am trying to build an application using  role-based security (ie. it would let in only selected users) and I am using Wingdows Authentication as a security model. The problem is that no matter what I do I cannot restrict usage only to specific users. It works on the all or none basis. Ie no matter what I set in the web.config file, it does not effect the security, except setting <deny users="*"/> blocks access altogether..Currently I have the following settings set in the web.config file with no other settings/code set anywhere &nb...

Roles.AddUserToRole vs. Roles.IsUserInRole
Hello, I'm fairly new to this all so excuse me if my question may be stupid or asked before (at least I did'nt find it in the search). The problem I have: I created several roles, e.g. administrator and editor. I've made a little user management section that only an administrator can access, and other sections, that may be accessed by editors and admins. I do the access restriction by putting an if clause with Roles.IsUserInRole(rolename) in the Page_Load that redirects to "Access denied" page if the user is not in the role. Works fine so far. In the user management sectio...

Membership and Roles
Hi all, Is there a way to allow the user choose a role from a selection you provide them with? e.g. I have 3 types of users: admin, contractor, and landlord. Of course I don't want them to be able to assign themselves admin role, so how would I proceed? (I'm using C# by the way) This is what I have so far. Please note "Roles...();" is where I am stuck: -within my aspx page i have: <asp:WizardStep ID="CreateUserWizardStep2" runat="server" Title="Contractor or Landlord?"> <asp:ListBox ID="ListBox1" runat=&q...

Forms Security for Role base security. Nirdesh Puri
Hi,I am using IBuySpy portal framwork and using Role based security. But I got some security problem in this type of security.Can you solve my problem.Role base security: Role is based on Task Group and Task Group based on Task and Task based on pages url.Create Two different roles: A and BCreate one user User1User1 assign role Aif User1 login on site and get the menu of Role A. But any how he get the url of Role B page. How we prevent Role B pages from this user.Warm Regards,Nirdesh Puri...

Login with form based authentication and roles based security
Hi, I've develop Sign In pages apply Forms Authentication and Roles Based Security. It means, 1 user can have many roles (HttpContext.Current.User = New GenericPrincipal(fi, astrRoles)). Let's say User ID: sr102, then it roles is Sales, Marketing and Logistic. Im using User.IsInRole("Sales") to control the applications modules. My application like as follow 1. After login success, application show all the application modules such as Logistic, Sales, Marketing, IT, Human Resource and Warehouse. From user id, application will know the roles assigned. How to enable and di...

Web resources about - Role base authorization - deny ? vs. allow role - asp.net.security

National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
in funding, among other things "for the defense of the United States and its interests abroad." In a signing statement , President Obama described ...

Prize Promotion App Authorization Request - Facebook
Desktop-Hilfe Deutsch Prize Promotion App Authorization Request Please fill out the following to request permission to administer a promotion ...

Authorization Failed - LinkedIn
Sorry you are not authorized to perform this action. To find out more please contact LinkedIn customer service .

NDAA (National Defense Authorization Act)
Signed by Obama, December 31, 2011.

YouTube - Sen. Franken's Floor Speech on the Defense Authorization Bill
You are using an outdated browser, which YouTube no longer supports. Since some features on YouTube may not work, you are viewing a lightweight ...

Online security: your two-factor authorization checklist
Twitter reportedly is getting ready to roll out two-factor authentication in the coming weeksa development that comes not a moment too soon as ...

China firmly opposes US congress defense authorization bill
China firmly opposes US congress defense authorization bill People's Daily Online 23, ( People's Daily Online) China voiced firm opposition ...

President Obama Signs 2-Year Budget Deal and Defense Authorization Act
Politico President Obama Signs 2-Year Budget Deal and Defense Authorization Act In The Capital President Obama on Thursday signed the two-year ...

VMWARE, INC. : VMware Announces Authorization of Stock Repurchase Program
PALO ALTO, CA 11/29/12 VMware, Inc. , the global leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure, today announced that its Board of Directors ...

Google Play Store gets major redesign, adds fingerprint authorization in Android 6.0
A short while ago, Google revealed a new redesign for its mobile Play Store which, among other changes, would separate apps and entertainment ...