Remote host won't allow Security features with MS Express SQL server, login controls, question. How do I get around this?

Hi, I found out my web host dosn't allow me to connect via http or ftp and use the web dev express security features as they say it would be a security risk. I need to use the log in controls. I didn't see anywhere using the built in web page that allows changes, etc, that I can say use an XML file with the log in controls. Is there a way to do this locally / upload and change some settings and make it work or am I going to have to do this manually like I did in the old days with ASP classic?

Thanks

Tim

Tim
0
aspTim

If i understood correctly you have SQL Server Express on your local machine and not on your host. But host do have Standard SQL Server or other edition.

I would say you create aspnetdb on sql server express locally using aspnet_regsql utility. Detach it using Sql Server Express managment studio.

Then you can attach this database to the host one.

/GuruBhai
0
guru_sarkar
9/10/2008 4:55:04 PM

Thank you so much. I never thought of that..

Regards

Tim

Tim
0
aspTim
9/10/2008 6:01:13 PM

Cool. Also  make sure to point your membership provider to that database. i.e modify your connectionString to point to that db on your host.

e.g if using name LocalSqlSever on local machine

<connectionStrings>        <remove name=”LocalSqlServer”/>        <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="YourConnectionString" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>    </connectionStrings>

/GuruBhai
0
guru_sarkar

How do I use the Login controls with a remote host that has only SQL 2005 and dosn't allow the default Express database?
Hi, I have figured out how to make the login controls work on my personal machine but I'm not allowed to upload the SQL express database that is created that holds the login / user info that's  created by the web site admin tool. So, I need to be able to do the same thing but with a database that I already have at my host. I'm able to log in to that database of course, but I use the Mangement studio to do so. How can I create the database at the host, but using the tool that comes with Visual Web Developer 2008? Should I use an XML file instead or something? I want this to b...

Security question - SQL Server 2005 Express
 Hi All, I have noticed in the database logs that someone is trying to log into our SQL Server express databases, is there a way of allowing only IP address on a list to access the database. We really only need the local machine and the office using SQL Express management studio to access the database. I would appreciate any help sometimes the database runs very slow and we do not know what is causing this. We are running server 2003 and SQL Server express. Thanks in advance. Lee Hi stonecoldbossman, is there a way of allowing only IP address on a list to access t...

Can't login to SQL and I think it's a security issue on server...
I've done this many times before and now having a senior moment (forgive me). Anyhow, I know the sever name, database etc. but everytime I try and connect, I get something like: Login failed not a trusted user to SQL server connection.... I've even tried to supply user name, password and same result. I know it sees the SQL server because when I supply an invalid server, it says server not found. The authentication in the application is set to Windows authentication (and in IIS). Could it be an issue on the server side? Yes, I've searched the forums and tried many things ...

SQL Server Express 2005: Can't change the login password for my sql login
I recently changed the database for the Web Site Administration Tool that comes with ASP.Net 2.0.  When I clicked the security tab, I kept getting an error on the page saying: There is problem with your selected data store.  This can be caused by an invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission.  It can also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled.  Click the button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data store. The following message may help in diagnosing the problem:  Login failed for user '<myloginu...

Thunderbird 3 won't allow secure news server access
I have installed Thunderbird 3 (Shredder) on Ubuntu 9.10. My News server is individual.net which requires a Username and Password. I set up the news server but TBird 3 does NOT ask for a Username and Password, therefore I can't access the news server. Is there a fix for this? Gordon wrote: > I have installed Thunderbird 3 (Shredder) on Ubuntu 9.10. My News server > is individual.net which requires a Username and Password. I set up the > news server but TBird 3 does NOT ask for a Username and Password, > therefore I can't access the news server. > > Is t...

Repeat post.. Sorry, but didn't know where to post and didn't get an answer first time? Access on Remote Host question? :-)
Hi, I'm sorry as I've posted this twice now, but I'm new to this forum, and wasn't / still not sure where I should have posted this question.. I don't believe the question has been answered, so I'm going to post again here, and I apologize in advance if I'm breaking some rule.. I'm in desperate need of an answer though! I have a client that is wanting me to build a site.. I have a host that I use for development purposes only which allows me to use the Dot Net framework version 2.0, and Web Express, etc, is supported as well as Access, mySQL, SQL server 2000 and SQL server 2005.....

Login control doesn't allow login after transferring to the production server
Hi, I have this weird problem. After publishing my website to the production server, the login control started to behave very weirdly (I just dragged and dropped the control into the webpage and change the destinationpageurl). When I type in my username and password, the system sends me back to the login page again (the login status control shows that i'm logged in) but it doesn't allow me to view any of the pages. Any link I click takes me back to the login page. The URL of the login page changes to whatever page was last clicked at the end of it (I think it is the reply somet...

User Control Question: Button Onclick Event won't work (won't fire)
Hi all, I create a webusercontrol and load it to home page dynamicly using Place Holder . However, the Button Onclick Event won't work (won't fire) in my Web user Control. Here are the codes. Partial Class test2 Inherits System.Web.UI.UserControl Protected Sub btn_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btn.Click End Sub End Class  ************************************ I set break point to (Protected Sub btn_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btn.Click). Can anyone tell me whats going wrong with my code? Thanks a lot! ...

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open database requested in login 'WinFM SQL PFS'. Login fails.
HiASP pages were properly connecting to SQL DB until I restored from a backup DB.  As soon as I finished restoring from the backup DB, I am getting the following error message.   I did not make any changes on ASP side.  IIS Server and SQL 2K Server is running on a WIN2K Server Box.Please help.Thank you.HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP errorInternet Information ServicesTechnical Information (for support personnel)Error Type:Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open database requested in login...

DNND4.0 on Sql server 2005:Throw sql server2005 doesn't allow Remote connection~~How to setup it ?
DNND4.0 on Sql server 2005:Throw sql server2005 doesn't allow Remote connection~~How to setup it ?...

Firefox 3.o.4 won't load, uninstall or allow McAfee's Security Center to show
Name: Beth-Ann Wymore Email: fourwsatcomcastdotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 3.o.4 won't load, uninstall or allow McAfee's Security Center to show Comments: See the summary Browser Details: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; FunWebProducts; InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Remote connections work, Local connections don't !!!! This failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
This is really weird.  I am develping a web site on my local box pointing to a remote database.  It all works fine. Then, I migrate the site to that remote server (running IIS and SQL Server 2005), so that the site and the DB are now on the same server.. the SAME server on which the database resides to which I can connect from my local dev box.... and the connection does not work!!!!   This is the connection string I am using:<add name="MyConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=xxx.xxx.xx.xx;Initial Catalog=DatabaseName;User Id=xxxx;Password=xxxx...

SQL Server won't connect to remote
My website caraclean.com, feel free to browse, it is in test mode, can access the data located with my provider protecweb.co.uk via web pages. However I am unable to use EM to register the server. I have checked the location, user and password. The generic error is: ---------------------------------------------------------- A Connection to SQL SQL4.PROSQL.NET could not be established Reason: SQL Server does not exists or access denied ..... Check younr SQL Server registration properties. ..... ---------------------------------------------------------- I am using...

SQL Express

Web resources about - Remote host won't allow Security features with MS Express SQL server, login controls, question. How do I get around this? - asp.net.security