error 401.2 in IIS

1) In my local machine  I created a default.html file in the wwwroot folder and the page comes in  fine if I type my computer IP number in the browser (IE).

2) But if I rename the file as default.aspx I immediately get an authentication request for username and password when I type the IP number in the browser.
Nothing I do works... (And now because of whatever I did not even the default.html comes in anymore!)
I have gone to IIS -> Web Sites -> 'right click' on Default WebSite -> Properties -> Directory Security Tab then -> 'Edit" Anonymous and I tried all sorts of checks and unchecks Anonymous but nothing gets me past the authentication request.
For User Name I typed IUSR_<machine name> but I have no idea what the password should be.
I am new to Windows XP and to admin duties and I have not created any user accounts nor any files if any is required. But I think I read that IUSR_<machine> is automatically a "guest user."
How can I get permission to view the default.aspx file sitting in the wwwroot folder?
Thanks in advance,
Cesar
Cesar
0
Horta

Error Upgrading 3.1.1 to 3.2.2
  I'm getting the following error when I browse to the side after uploading the upgrade files.  Any help would be appreciated! Notes:  Upgrade instructions followed exactly.            <trust level="Medium" originUrl="http://[mydomain].*" /> is set in web.config Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: Assembly fredck.fcked...

Error 401.2. Server Error
Hi All, I am using Forms Authentication on a subdirectory. The authentication and authorisation is all working out well. The problem is a webcontrol button I have added to the page. When clicked, I get a Server error 401.2. Somehow the authentication gets in between, because when I remove it everything runs just fine. It´s not the procedure that is to be run when the button is clicked, because I get the error even on a "naked" web control button. I was already on the msdn site, but none of the articles applied to my problem. this is the erro...

Security
Hi, I have set up the membership and roles provider with Active directory and SQL server respectively, and everything was fine. However I am having this problem in the ASP.NET web Adminstration Tool when I go to Manage Users, and try to edit and save a users Email/Description, it returns an error saying: Please correct the errors below. Type 'System.Security.Principal.SecurityIdentifier' in assembly 'mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' is not marked as serializable. Yet, I do not have any problem with updating the roles database. A search on ...

When appending ReturnURL to secure page I Get A 401.2. Error
I am using forms authentication. I have my secure pages in a folder in my web application.  I have a configuration file in this folder that denies anonymous users.  If I try to navigate to a page in this folder it correctly redirects me to the login.aspx page.  However, I have some users that have saved a favorite that includes a ReturnURL query string.  If they attempt to navigate to a secure page with a ReturnURL query string already specified, they get the following error:  401.2.: Unauthorized: Logon failed due to server configurati...

Frustrating Error connecting to SQL 2000 from IIS with .NET 2.0
I am getting the following error when connecting to SQL 2000 from IIS with .NET 2.0. It works perfectly with the Test Server that comes with VS 2005.   An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack t...

.net 2.0 Security Web.Config problem (possible IIS issue?)
I have a website I developed using asp.net (vb) that has a protected content sections, users and roles.  The established roles are 'Admin', 'Customer', and 'Employee' The protected directories are the /admin, /employee, and /customer respectively.  User's assigned to the 'Admin' role should be granted access to all three sections.  User's with the 'Employee' role should only be granted access to the /employee section, and user's with the 'Customer' role should only be allowed to access the /customer directory.  ...

.net 2.0 service generates 401 error when access from 1.1 client
Hi, I have an asp.net web running under .net 1.1.   When I attempt to call a web service written under .net 2.0 it generates a 401 error.  This occurs even though the web service's virtual directory allows anonymous access and I also execute the following code to set the cerdentials. obj.PreAuthenticate = False obj.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials However, if I manually create the credential with the following code, access is granted. Dim cred As New System.Net.NetworkCredential("myuser", "mypassword", "mydomain") Dim credcache As New System.Ne...

.Net 2 and .Net 1.1 on same IIS
Hi - is there a step by step guide for this anywhere?(IIS6 - windows web server edition)I installed .net 2, and created a new virtual directory - uploaded my .net2 web files, and it didn't run.I changed the framework to .net2 in IIS, then I got server unavailable when trying to run my existing 1.1 apps.I setup a new application pool, and derived it from the DefaultPool already being used by .net1.1, and change my net 2 app to use the new application pool.When I tried to 'start' the site, it advised the port 80 was already in use by another web site.I think I know where to change port 80 - bu...

IIS 6, .net 1.1 and .net 2
Hi,I read that .net 2 will be 100 % compatible with .net 1.1.Can I then remove .net 1.1 from machine and than install .net 2?Would application writen in VS2003 work on IIS6 server with only .net 2 installed?Thanks.Darko Bazulj Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0 (Beta) CompatibilityDarrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you!...

Server error NET 2.0 : parser error
hi,I am getting the following server error in the browser when running c:\inetpub\wwwroot\mukera2\default.aspx :------------------Server Error in '/mukera2' Application.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Parser Error Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately. Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'Alex.Global'.Source Error: Line 1:  <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.cs" In...

Error message 401.2.: Unauthorized: Logon failed due to server configuration.
I have an ASP.NET 3.5 application deployed to Windows Server 2003 running on IIS. I created a custom application pool with a domain account "domain\WebApp" which the application pool runs as the identity for.  This account has membership in the aspnetdb on SQL Server 2005 under the "aspnet_Roles_FullAccess" role in that database so that it can work with the SQL roles provider. My application uses Windows Authentication (and this all works fine when I'm testing on my dev machine inside VS 2008). I ran aspnet_regiis -ga on the domain account and granted it acces...

Upgrade from .net 2 to .net 3 problem in IIS 6
I am running Win2k3 with IIS6. I installed the .Net 3 package and SP 1. In IIS only 1.1 and 2.0 are visible in the ASP.NET tab dropdown. I did reboot the machine but 3.0 is still not visible. Did I miss a step on the install of 3.0? Please advise, TRU  No you did not.  .Net framework 3.0 and .Net framework 3.5 add to features to the .net framework 2.0.  In iis manager you will only see the option to use asp.net 2.0.  If .net 3.0 or 3.5 you can use the features in an asp.net 2.0 websiteSilverlight-helpVb TipsSpace Coast .Net User Group Ahhh!  OK... Thanks!...

Security Briefs: Security Enhancements in the .NET Framework 2.0
Security Briefs: Security Enhancements in the .NET Framework 2.0 http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/05/01/SecurityBriefs/default.aspx *********************************************************** Quote *********************************************************** As I write this column, version 2.0 of the Microsoft .NET Framework is at Beta 1. When I got my bits, I hacked together a little program to dump all of the public members of all public types in the entire Framework and ran it on version 1.1 as well as 2.0. I then used WINDIFF.EXE to compare the two text files, and s...

Web resources about - error 401.2 in IIS - asp.net.security

Error - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The word error entails different meanings and usages relative to how it is conceptually applied. The concrete meaning of the Latin word "error" ...

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger blames referee's error for Southampton rout
Arsene Wenger acknowledged Southampton were the sharper team as they crushed Arsenal 4-0, but he also blamed the defeat on bad luck.

85 people missing in China landslide as residents blame government, officials cite human error - CTV ...
Rescuers searched Monday for 85 missing people a day after the collapse of a mountain of excavated soil and construction waste that had been ...

Spelling Error On Bronze Plaque Unveiled By Queen Cost Taxpayers $4K To Fix 14
“Why something of this complexity was not ordered months ago is a mystery to me.”

Changing the type of errors in directories
... for insurers. New regulations allow the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to fine insurers up to $25,000 per beneficiary for errors ...

New HTTP 451 error indicates pages have been blocked or censored
It's not every day that a new HTTP error code is introduced there are, after all, a limit to the number that could possibly be needed but it ...

It's The End Of An Error As Du Pont & Dow Chemical Merge
My reaction to the news that two of America's oldest if not most venerable companies — Du Pont and Dow Chemical — were merging was kind of bittersweet, ...

'Perfect storm of human error.' Grand jury declines to indict officers who killed Tamir Rice
... officers who are trigger happy. Equally ridiculous is the fact that somehow even McGinty’s assertion that Rice’s death was a result of error ...

‘Miss Universe’ Ratings OK On Fox With Winner Error, ‘Sunday Night Football’ Matches Season Low
There were winners and losers on Sunday's primetime, and if you were either the Philadelphia Eagles or Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez, last ...

Database error publishes data of 3 million Hello Kitty fans
Online researcher Chris Vickery uncovered a database this weekend containing the personal information of 3.3 million accounts associated with ...