E-mailing Create User & Profile info AND changing Create User Wizard defaults

Hi, I'm in the final countdown on my site, built with VWD 2005 X Ed and can't seem to find a consistent response to a couple of questions.  Maybe someone out there can help?  I am very, very new at .NET 2.0 and SQL Server, so any detailed/example responses would be very appreciated.

E-MAILING CUSTOMIZED CREATE USER WIZARD DATA

There are dozens of complex tips here and elsewhere on how to customize the create user wizard then send the information to the Profile section or into a custom database.  While I don't exactly understand any of these posts yet, I'd like to be certain first which approach will serve my alternate need.

After a new user creates their default log in information, as well as completes additional custom fields, I'd like their new user name plus the custom fields e-mailed to me.  I'm too overwhelmed with options to know which is the most streamlined way to do this.  Here are some threads that seem close:

1) http://www.jeremywadsworth.com says he has code that will e-mail the default user information to me.  I'm not sure how to get the custom fields, as well.  Has anyone successfully used and modified this code?

2) http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/070506-1.aspx#postadlink offers what seems to be the absolute easiest way to add additional wizard steps.  Not sure how to bypass their table entry and e-mail info instead.  Is it as simple as replacing their table code with the basic smtp form mail code?

CUSTOMIZE:

<asp:WizardStep ID="CreateUserWizardStep0" runat="server">
            <th>Billing Information</th>
                <asp:TextBox runat="server" ID="BillingAddress" MaxLength="50" />
                <asp:RequiredFieldValidator runat="server" ID="RequiredFieldValidator1" ControlToValidate="BillingAddress"
                     ErrorMessage="Billing Address is required." />
</asp:WizardStep>

SEND TO TABLE (don't want to do)

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="InsertExtraInfo" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:ASPNETDBConnectionString1 %>"
    InsertCommand="INSERT INTO [UserAddresses] ([UserId], [BillingAddress]) VALUES (@UserId, @BillingAddress)"
    ProviderName="<%$ ConnectionStrings:ASPNETDBConnectionString1.ProviderName %>">
    <InsertParameters>
        <asp:ControlParameter Name="BillingAddress" Type="String" ControlID="BillingAddress" PropertyName="Text" />
    </InsertParameters>
</asp:SqlDataSource>

E-MAIL INFO TO MY ADDRESS (do want to do)

?????

CHANGING CREATE USER WIZARD DEFAULTS - W/O HASHING PASSWORD

I would like to leave my passwords encrypted so people can request passwords, but all of the sample text that's happily provided here is for hashed passwords only.  A quick search of Scott's blog yielded what looks like I need, but www.eggheadcafe.com has vanished!

"Steve said:
If i still want the passwords Encrypted in the Database, i can set passwordFormat="Encrypted", but it throws the error:

You must specify a non-autogenerated machine key to store passwords in the encrypted format. Either specify a different passwordFormat, or change the machineKey configuration to use a non-autogenerated decryption key

How do i do "change the machineKey configuration to use a non-autogenerated decryption key" ??
June 8, 2005 12:19 PM "

"Scott Forsyth said:
Steve,

There is a section in your machine.config file that by default is set to auto generate the validationKey and decryptionKey. The section is <machineKey />.

Here is a good link to an online Key generator which will generate the whole key for you:

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/GenerateMachineKey/GenerateMachineKey.aspx
June 8, 2005 4:26 PM"

Does anyone know where to find Peter's Machine Key Generator or have another link or directive on doing this?

Thanks for any assistance so I can finish up! dma

0
dmitcha

E-MAILING CUSTOMIZED CREATE USER WIZARD DATA: resolved

 Still hoping for machine key generator so I can override the default Create User Wizard password length and format?  Thanks!

0
dmitcha
9/10/2006 9:12:16 AM

The link is still alive actually, anyway, if you cannot access it, see here:

http://www.aspnetresources.com/tools/keycreator.aspx
http://www.orcsweb.com/articles/aspnetmachinekey.aspx

Regards!^_^
Lostlander

0
lostlander
9/11/2006 4:00:55 AM
LL, thanks a ton, I was hunting for a non-EggheadCafe.com link (that
one is inactive/dead/can't even be accessed through cache).  You
just made my week.
0
dmitcha

How can i create new users without utilizing the create user wizard?
Hi, Is it possible for me to create new users without using the wizard? I am using a custom membership as i want to capture more data other than the ones which are available in the wizard. Is it possible for me to use the custom membeship create user method? If yes how can i call it ? What should i be giving the button_click event of my webpage where i capture the data? Thanks in advance Prady  You can call the CreateUser methods directly. They're available throughMembership.CreateUser(.....)If you have extra fields, not available in the CreateUser methods, you can add them to ...

Retrieving the new user ID after details have been created with Create New User Wizard
I've got a 'create new user' wizard set up with several additional wizard pages containing extra information. This information will be stored into the database when the CreatedUser event fires. However, I need to obtain the user ID of the newly created user. How can this be achieved? Assuming the user id is an Identity field that is generated in SQL, I would return the user id as an output parameter in your stored procedure and reference that parameter in your ASP.NET code.   I believe the code to get the identity value of a newly added record is: SELECT @myoutputp...

Creating User Account Without Default Security Role (Registered User Role)
  My DNN version is 3.1.1. The portal is set to Private Registration. Unauthenicated users have access to the basic pages of the site. We require my company's current customers to register and be approved to have access to all other pages that contain information restricted to them (the major part of the site). As you know, authorizing a user account applys the Registered User security role by default and this is how I control access to the customer areas.  We want to create a page that will be used by Marketing to allow potential customers by login to...

Create User Wizard Auto-E-mail Question
Hello.  I have a simple create user wizard control for people to make their account on my website.  I am also using the built in "MailDefinition" property to send them an e-mail when they register.  Is there any way that I can have the users new username they just registered in the e-mail, or their password?  Like:   Welcome to our site!  For your records: Your user name is: USER NAME REGISTERED WITH HEREYour Password is: PASSWORD REGISTERED WITH HERE Is that possible?  Thanks!!! You can modify in the SendingMail event handler....also you ca...

how can i change user e-mail address after creating with createuserwizard ?
hi friendshow can i change user e-mail address after creating with createuserwizard ? could you write to me as visual basic code for visual web developer ?because i dont know how edit and uptade should be use ? and i dont know e mail adress of user that i should edit/update column name and tables name of tables in aspnet.mdf :) cheersMark as me if my question or my answer can be helpful for you :) if you have configured your web.config correctly there is no coding at the control level...you simply dump it on the page and it will add a user and a member to your asp.ne...

Changing a users e-mail address without changing the user name?
I have a user that is getting a PRODIGIOUS amount of SPAM and wants their e-mail address changed. All things done in Console One: General-Identification tab: Changed e-mail address from loginname@company.com to new version firstname.lastname@company.com (which I believe is only for LDAP records?) Groupwise Tab: Internet Addressing-checked 'overide' box, selected 'firstname.lastname@company.com' --also checked 'allowed address formats'--unchecked all but 'firstname.lastname@company.com' Gateway alias--removed ALL alias (we are using an old al...

create a user role to "create users"
Is it possible to create a user role so that i can assign users to create users. I don't want to give them access to the administrator role, just a role that will allow them to create new users. You could work around that by placing a user account module on a page only accessible by the role in question.The original registration would then be turned off or set to private.I think that's the easienst way of dealing with your problemHope that helpsLeif But if you add a Users Account module to a page, doesn't that just show the currently logged in user their details. Is there something i am...

How to store user profile information during create user?
Hi, I'm just try to store user information during create user via CreateUserWizard that add Textbox, DropDownList and RadoButtonList. How to store data form control to UserProfile (via CreateUserWizard) ? Note. I set DisableCreatedUser = true because want to proof user befor activate. (Begining ASP.net V2.0, VB, VWD 2005 Express Edition) Here is some example c# code that I have in the CreateUser event of the CreateWizard command.  I also do some stuff after this but I think this is the code you are interested in.     protected void CreateUserWizard1_CreatedUser(objec...

Create User control & User Roles
Hi there guys, I would like to know if it is possible to assign a new user a user role without using the website admin tool. The scenario is i have got a 'create user' page in my site's admin section but all I can do is just create a user and not actually assign roles to that user. Is there some way I can tweak the create user control to assign a role or some other way to achieve this? (any code in VB please) Thanks for the help  Matt Hi Matt,You can use Roles.GetAllRoles() to get all role list and use Roles.AddUserInRole to add user in role.Ahmed Abu Dagga Thanks for that Ahmed....

Profile / Create User Wizard
I'm trying to add in profile items to my create user wizard. I've read the guides and things and i have some code but for some reason it dosn't work. Here's my code for my Register page:  <%@ Page Title="" Language="VB" MasterPageFile="~/Site.master" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="Register.aspx.vb" Inherits="Default2" %> <asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="head" Runat="Server"> <style type="text/css"> .style1 { ...

Unable to create Users/Duplicat created users in SQL server
Hi all, I have a website, i am developing the site on a differant computer that the site is on, so i had to create each role provider personally. The problem is I created a REMOVE user page for admins only because i really didn't want to use visual studio everytime i needed to add or remove a user. now, i had duplicat users in my SQL database, so i tryed to delete them from the database table personally, bad ideai ended up having to go between PROFILE,USER, and MEMBERSHIP to delete each key. Any ideas how i can get my database back in order? maybe i will re aspnet_regsql.exe  it? a...

User Control controls not created when dynamically creating user control
  Have created a user control for displaying and editing a dynamically number of values. The user control contains two labels and an edit box. When dynamically loading the user control I get an error when the control itself tries to change setting on the fields within the user control.   Why doesnt this work? It works okay if I dont load it dynamically but create a user-control-instance in the aspx-page but thats no solution.   Thankyou!     Here is my code:   ucDataValue.ascx   <%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true&...

Default field & default button not working in login/create user
Hi guys and dolls Default field & default button not working in login/create user. I use this codePage.Form.DefaultFocus = CreateUserWizard1.FindControl("CreateUserStepContainer$UserName").UniqueIDPage.Form.DefaultButton = CreateUserWizard1.FindControl("__CustomNav0$StepNextButtonButton").UniqueID    AND for LoginPage.Form.DefaultFocus = Login1.FindControl("UserName").UniqueID Page.Form.DefaultButton = Login1.FindControl("LoginButton").UniqueID Sometimes in develop (VWD2005) it works but online it does not I tried in IE 6.0&...

Can I have user pick Application in Create User Wizard?
The production server will not have VS2005 on it, therefore the dba can't use the WSAT.  True? So I created a simple webpage with the CreateUser Wizard on it so that the dba can enter new users for separate (and future) web applications.  We're fine with using the standard aspnetdb and have already set it up on the server and successfully changed the connection string.  I am able to create users just fine.  However, I want the dba to be able to pick which web app he/she is creating the user for.  I feel like I've read a lot of good infor...

Web resources about - E-mailing Create User & Profile info AND changing Create User Wizard defaults - asp.net.security

Guardian reporter delayed e-mailing NSA source because crypto is a pain
If you still haven't gotten around to encrypting your e-mail, you have company. Glenn Greenwald, the civil liberties writer who recently exposed ...

Taylor Swift is ‘texting, phoning & e-mailing love notes 24/7′ to Conor Kennedy
... school in Deerfield, Mass., a few weeks ago – and Taylor not only visited him for a romantic weekend, she started texting, phoning, and e-mailing ...

Steve Jobs already e-mailing customers from iPad?
Several Apple customers who have received e-mail replies in recent days say that the Apple CEO is e-mailing not from an iPhone but an iPad. Read ...

How to password-protect a PDF before e-mailing in OS X
With a few steps you can set up an easy way to encrypt PDF files generated from the standard print dialog window.

Feds: Man arrested for e-mailing threats against Obama
(CNN) – Secret Service agents arrested a Washington man Tuesday for making threats against President Obama, a spokeswoman with the justice department ...

Amazon E-Mailing Tennessee Residents To Remind Them Of Sales Tax Obligation
... supposed to be paying any applicable tax to the state when you file your annual tax returns. Virtually no one does. That’s why Amazon is e-mailing ...

DailyTech - Google Goggles Help Curb Drunken E-mailing
Google wants to help users think before drinking and e-mailing

Teen Held After E-Mailing Satanic Group Threat to Kill Grandparents
The first national memorial honoring disabled veterans will open this October.

Reminder: Marine at risk of court martial over e-mailing classified document — to warn against massacre ...
Equality under the law? What happens to people who send classified data through unsecured e-mail channels? Unless his or her name rhymes with ...

Paris Hilton And Olympic hopeful Nick Symmondstexting, e-mailing, dating. We Told You So!
We broke the story that Olympic hopeful Nick Symmonds was so smitten by Paris Hiltonhe glimpsed her from afar one memorable daythat he asked ...