Changing Table Names / Field Names on Membership / User tables

I am building a web app and I had the whole database structure designed but I want to include the built in membership controls and things but I want to change the names of the tables and possibly the field names. Do I have to build my own provider for this? I do have extra fields I want to use two.

I consider myself an avid ASP.net'er but building these custom providers seems like A LOT of work...

Basically I resesigning a web app I made for our company, doing everythin in asp.net 2.0 and I'm going to start using LLBLGen Pro. I'm about 5 minutes away from dropping the whole membership things and just using my custom stuff...

Any help would be appreciated. I can't find any examples of this.

0
CyberBobCity

Hi CyberBob,

I'd definitely recommend not doing your own membership tables, and instead use the built-in schema + implementations unless there is a very good reason not to.  While getting a basic implementation of username/password functionality is straight forward, there are a lot of extra steps you should do to be secure (for example: hashing passwords with random per-row salt keys), etc.  The built-in membership providers do all of that for you.

Note that you might very well want to create your own profile provider to store/retrieve per-user properties, you can easily map your table schemas against this using the SQL Table provider: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/01/10/435038.aspx

Hope this helps,

Scott

0
ScottGu
3/2/2006 5:44:00 AM
Hi CyberBob,

I use llblgenPro with the aspnet membership tables and works fine so far, I have only been using it in a test application.  I just added the datatables to my existing app and use them to provide authentication, membership rolles, etc.  I believe in llblgen you can rename the entities so this might be a better approach than modifying the underlining tables.  Haven't tried it, but I think it should work. Next up, I'm going to try and implement the SQL Table provider Scott mentioned.  LLblgenPro makes working with the membership tables a snap.

eric
0
erichar11

Create table with user specified table name
ok suppose i want to  create a table with a user specified name...... how should i replace the name with the variable name="table1"         Dim condb string .......         Dim cmdDB2 As SqlCommand               Dim  name as string=("table1")        Dim selkta As String = "CREATE TABLE name(no int,quest text,op1 text)"             cmdDB2 =...

Changing table owner name without dropping the table
Hi all, Is it possible to change a table owner name in ASE 12.5 without dropping the table? Thanks, Patricia Normally no. But you can update the uid in sysobjects to the new user's id. This is not a supported feature. So pay attention to what you do. HTH - Etienne. ...

Change the table names in the membership database.
Hey!  I am using the membership class in my development, I am use the aspnet_regsql.exe for build the tables and use the membership class.  this wizard create a tables with this name:   aspnet_Applications aspnet_ETC aspnet_ETC aspnet_ETC aspnet_ETC   I want to remove this  "aspnet_"  and insert my own "table name" and I want to know what parameters is required in the login control to specify the table name. By default this find the "aspnet_" I think.   any help is welcome.   Kind regards, Pablo   ...

Help ! How to Migrate DW from Sybase with Long Table Names to DB2 with Shortened table name
Sub : Migrating DW from Sybase with Long Table Names to DB2 with Shortened table names We have our existing system running in Sybase with long table names. This system had to be moved to DB2, we had to shorten the Table names & Column names because DB2 does not support very long names. Option 1: -------- In order to make these changes in PowerBuilder Datawindows, we had to literally go to the Datasource of each of these datawindows(about 120) & modify their corresponding Table/Column names. In doing this we lost our formatting/position on the Datawindow & the validati...

getting user name from another table (id included in another table)
Hi,  I am using a datagrid and I have 2 tables (I will try to explain as simple as I can) ... First table contains SENDER_ID and TOPIC fields . The sender id's are the users Id's. Second table contains member records and Lets say it has it has MEMBER_ID , MEMBER_NAME columns. I get the values from first table to datagrid and I want the SENDER_ID 's to be converted to MEMBER_NAME 's  while displaying the data with datagrid . I am able to do this but I have to connect to db for every MEMBER_ID record to transform them to names .Here it is <ItemTemplate><%# ...

How to change User account names etc after name change
What is the quickest, easiest most reliable way to change an existing users account information after a name change. For example: Existing user ShellySmith gets married and changes to ShellyJones. How & what do I change for her Groupwise 6 account to send/receive emails as ShellyJones? Bill Internet or internal? If you have GroupWise Internet addressing turned on then you change the last name, that updates the Internet address(if first.last or last.first) Then add an alias for the user of shellyjones. Tim On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:42:36 GMT, "Bill Clark" &l...

How to use a full column name (table name and column name) with a DataReader
Hi, I have a problem retrieving the data with a DataReader from a stored proc that performs a join of two table with the same column's names but different data. Let me explain with an example: I have two tables: Table1: Id, Name Table2: Id, Name, IdTable1 The sproc is something like this: CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[SearchByName] (@Name nvarchar(40)) AS BEGIN SELECT * FROM dbo.Table1, dbo.Table2 WHERE Table1.Id = Table2.IdTable1 AND Table1.Name LIKE '%' + @Name + '%' END And my c# code is something like this: Database db = Databas...

Problem in stored procedures when I change the name of the tables of fields
Hi My friends I have develop big Database System in Microsoft SQL Server 2000 and my DB System content more then 30 Table and also more then 150 Stored procedure and from that stored procedures I have call my the tables But the problem when I change the name of any table, SQL Server don’t prompt my about the stored procedure that use that table .. so I cant remember witch Stored procedure use that table By example if I am in programming language like C# or VB.NET when I try to change any name of any class the compiles catch all the error that coming from changing the name of th...

global user name change & banned user names
Hi There, As part of my rollout of DNN 3.0, I'd like to change the default naming for the super user accounts. Specifically the admin & host user names. In addition, once these are renamed, is it possible to add in a "banned list" of user names? I.e. I don't want someone to come along and create an account called host or admin/administrator. TIA sadly, you can't change usernames (this is a limitation of the microsoft memberrole functionality - see http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=815100 for some more details). You can however uncheck the Aut...

Programattically allow user to create field name or alias for a table
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here goes anyway. I have a relational db with an Items table, and a Values table where the user can enter, using a FormView, Values versus date for any selected item. In simple form, the  Values table would look like this: Date       Value     Item_ID and so if the Item_ID happened to correspond to the Item named Weight, the user enters as the Value, the Weight at different dates.  But -- some Items have more than one Value associated with them, like Blood Pre...

C# method using ado.net to create an html table with just the db table name

Separting the User name from the Machine name in User.Identity.Name
string userNameWithMachineName = User.Identity.Name; string userNameWithoutMachineName = System.IO.Path.GetFileName(userNameWithMachineName); HighOnCodingWanna get high! ...

The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the input table or query 'table name'. Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly.
I have an access database linked to the contacts folder of outlook. I used the access link table wizard to do so. I am able to view the table in access. However, when Im trying to access the table in my .net application, i get: The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the input table or query 'IPContacts'. Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly.  Where my table is called IPContacts. The outlook contacts folder is part of our excahnger server. When I tried to link directly to the exchange server, Access crashed. THe only look that worked was through outlook...

Changed table names
I am connecting to a Oracle9i database using InfoMaker version 7.0. The organisation I work for recently altered the underlying Oracle schema names as part of the integration of a number of databases. My tablenames incorporate the schema name so essentially the tablename has changed. All other structures remain the same. For example: bbb.table1 is now ccc.table1. Since I have a lot of queries the task of re-entering all of them is daunting. I have tried to alter the table name on the syntax tab without success. Does anyone know of a way I can edit table names without d...

Web resources about - Changing Table Names / Field Names on Membership / User tables - asp.net.security

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints membership statistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ...
Percentages of LDS members were calculated with this information. The link under the names of each country, territory, etc. corresponds to brief ...

Civility Caucus In Congress Turns To Facebook To Boost Membership
In the midst of a heated election season and record-low approval numbers for Congress, an under-the-radar congressional caucus focused on changing ...

Search Twitter - membership
... Bum @ prodigalbum 1m Nothing will consign Labour to oblivion faster than a backroom PLP coup to oust a leader chosen by the wider membership ...

Membership Has Its Privileges
Right now, crossing one of the magical rep borders happens more or less unnoticed. People just gain the particular powers. Now, of course they ...

Membership Cards - a set on Flickr
... home Sign Up Explore Recent Photos The Commons Getty Collection Galleries World Map App Garden Camera Finder Flickr Blog Upload Sign In Membership ...

Membership Sites Blueprint Review - The TRUTH Exposed! - YouTube
Membership Sites Blueprint review - http://www.cashandprofit.com/msb My FREE $1000 a day training - http://www.cashandprofit.com Hey guys its ...

The benefits of private club membership in the UAE
Lifestyle membership clubs can offer cardholders exclusive leisure discounts across the Emirates. But there can be a big catch - you need to ...

Sheikh's previous ALP membership revealed
ACT Greens senate candidate Simon Sheikh has conceded he was previously a member of the Labor party before becoming a self-proclaimed independent ...

Joe Tripodi's ALP membership suspended
NSW ALP has suspended membership of Joe Tripodi amid a corruption inquiry.

ACT Labor's union membership rule in national conference sights
The ACT is the only jurisdiction to enforce a rule which means anyone in a job where there is a union must prove union membership when they join ...