Access DB instead of SQL DB?

Hi folks,

Is it possible to set up a Membership-Type Access DataBase in the same manner as an SQL DataBase with ASP.NET automatically configuring all of the DataBase components so that the DataBase will be the same as an SQL DataBase?

In other words, could I do something like create an empty .mdb file, put it in the App_Data folder, and ASP.NET will set up the Tables, Views, Functions, etc. and configure it as I add the Login, Password, etc. Controls?

Many Thanks.

0
hypercode

hypercode:

Hi folks,

Is it possible to set up a Membership-Type Access DataBase in the same manner as an SQL DataBase with ASP.NET automatically configuring all of the DataBase components so that the DataBase will be the same as an SQL DataBase?

In other words, could I do something like create an empty .mdb file, put it in the App_Data folder, and ASP.NET will set up the Tables, Views, Functions, etc. and configure it as I add the Login, Password, etc. Controls?

Many Thanks.

All you have to do is create the App_Data folder and then go to Website > Asp.Net Configuration.  The configuration will automatically make you a database handle all of the membership tasks.

Never Quit
0
hoopslife
7/24/2006 2:12:18 AM

I originally configured my security which is now using AspNetSqlProvider.

I didn't realize at the time that my ISP would not support SQL not does my client want to use the SQL interface.

Now when I go into the Website Admin Tool the provider is showing AspNetSqlProvider.

How can I removed this and attempt to make the Provider work using an MS Access DB?

thx,

ciao, Dan

0
DannyDep
7/24/2006 5:11:49 PM

DannyDep,

Yours is the same situation I have. Evidently, SQL Server is the only route. I agree that host support for SQL Server is less than great.

I suppose you can write code to do the same thing with Access but it will probably be a LOT of code and take a long time to complete the project.

0
hypercode
7/25/2006 5:45:34 PM
DannyDep:

I didn't realize at the time that my ISP would not support SQL not does my client want to use the SQL interface.

When I explained how to set up a DB file it was with a sql express file.  Which is a file database like Access.  If your ISP doesn't support SQL though I think you will have to use Access which would require alot of code.  If I were you I would do some research on whether or not you can use SQL Express files on your ISP?

Never Quit
0
hoopslife
8/1/2006 11:17:06 PM
    I found a Host that supports SQL Express. They're in LA. I'm probably going to try them with SQL Express. I'll post back later after I see how it runs.
0
hypercode

access db to sql db rewright
I am changing a page from Access to SQL express database.  I usually use Dreamweaver Datasets and no problem with them but my hit counter is different.  Can someone rewright this code to work with a SQL database?  If t is possable to use it with a dreamweaver dataset that would be even better but i will take what I can get to learn. ThanksRusty  _________________________________________________________________ <%@ Page Language="vb" Debug=false %><%@ import Namespace="System.Data.OLEDB" %><%@ import Namespace="System.Drawing.Imag...

Convert from Access DB to SQL DB....
Dear All,  I would like to convert from Access To SQL DB undervisual Studio.Net 2005... How can I do it easily, or if there any software to do this automaticlly, please your help..  Awaiting your valuable reply. Many thanks in advance for your cooperation and continuous support....Aح What version of MS Access are you using?Most of the Access versions like XP/2003 all have an upgrade wizard that allows you to convert your existing database to SQL Server.In Access 2003 I believe you can use the Upsizing Wizard which can be accessed from Tools -> Database Utilities -> Upsi...

Convert SQL Server DB to Access DB
Hi, I'm trying to convert a SQL Server 2000 database into a Access database because my hosting provider does not support SQL Server. I have tried the DTS, however it can only convert the tables, not the stored procedures. So is it possible to convert the stored procedures as well? I'm looking forwards to your response Phan Nguyen Hello, I believe you need some third-party components to do so, check the links below: MSSQL-to-Access 1.0 MSSQL Migration Toolkit v1.0 All are shareware tools, yuo can download and use them as a trial version. Regards.Bilal Hadiar, MCP, MCTS,...

How to keep SQL DB and Access DB syncronised
Hi, I have a project which i'm trying to do for a client. It starts with an access database on the local client machine, plenty of fields but the main ones are DealerID, VehicleID, Make, Model There is also an SQL server on the internet which drives a website, it has the same fields, DealerID, VehicleID, Make, Model. I need to write an application that reads the local access file and updates the SQL server. What is the best way to do this?, At first I thought delete everything from SQL server then upload everything from Access but that doesn't seem like the best way, Really I ...

Changing access db to sql db web application.
I am experiencing problems with databases for the web application that i am developing. The problem is that I have transferred the database from access to sql which initially seemed to work ok. I am now however struggling to solve the problems with one of my fields titled 'notes'. The trouble is that in the original database the notes field contained different notes from different dates for each record, and each note is separated by carriage returns. It is the carriage returns that are now proving to be a problem in the sql database but i am not sure what to do. Any advice would be appreciat...

changed SQL Security Db and now can't access the Security tab to add new users.
Hi, I have changed my SQL provider for my web site from the default ASPNet.mdf file to a SQL 2005 db.  1/ I used the ASP.Net SQL Server Registration Tool to create the correct schema on the new empty db, but I only used Windows authentication. I am wondering if this is causing the problems. 2/ I added entries in my web.config file specifying the new connection string and the new membership, role, and profile providers. 3/ I then modified the connection string in the DB Explorer of VWD to connect to the new SQL 2005 db, again using Windows Authentication. I test...

Howto: Convert sample SQL dB code to Access dB code?
Hello, In reference to the book: ASP.NET Web Matrix Starter Kit (ISBN: 0-7356-1856-9) Chapter 14 – Creating a Web-Based Calendar. The sample code works great when using an SQL server dB. However Web Matrix allows us to use an Access dB as well. My question is how do I convert the code found on page 275 to work with an Access dB? I have got the rest of the sample code in this chapter to work using Access, but I am not familiar with the proper way to convert this code: Sub DisplayAppointments(dateToDisplay As DateTime) labelSelectedDate.Text = dateToDisplay...

Migrating Security Provider DB from Access to SQL Server
Hi all, I'm new to ASP.NET 2.0, and I'm pretty impressed with the login controls. However, I see that ASP.NET puts all the login details into an Access DB, which I would like to centralise in a SQL Server database instead. Is there an easy way I can do this? I've looked in the provider tab of the ASP.NET configuration but there doesn't seem to be an option for this.Thanks!  ASP.NET 2.0 doesn't use an Access database by default, it's SQL 2005 Express.  And you're looking for aspnet_regsql.exe, Google will find you details.JeffPlease: Don't forge...

Using an Access DB(mdb) instead of SQL Express 2005
What do I need to do to make the personal web site starter kit use an MS Access database instead of the SQL Express 2005?Thanks! -Tom You will have to re-create the starter kit data bases with Access 2002. Then place them in the App_Data folderI know how to connect to them using OlEdb from the page but do not know a connection string for the web.config file:    Dim objConn As New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OleDb.4.0;Data Source=C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\App_Data\youraccessdatabase.mdb")<asp:AccessDataSource ID="AccessDataSource1" runat="server" DataFile="~/App_Data/...

BCP Sybase SQL Server db to SQL Anywhere db?
Anyone, I am searching for an automated way to take an entire Sybase SQL Server db on a Unix server and get it into a Sybase SQL Anywhere db on my laptop. I dont feel like going table by table through the Pipeline not to mention that I have RI proplems with this approach as well. Ideally, I would like to have explained to me a way to perform a BCP from the Unix SQL Server world into the windows based SQL Anywhere world. If this is even possible. The model itself is not as important as the data because we use ERwin and I am able to forward engineer the model onto the SQL Anywhe...

BCP Sybase SQL Server db to SQL Anywhere db?
Anyone, I am searching for an automated way to take an entire Sybase SQL Server db on a Unix server and get it into a Sybase SQL Anywhere db on my laptop. I dont feel like going table by table through the Pipeline not to mention that I have RI proplems with this approach as well. Ideally, I would like to have explained to me a way to perform a BCP from the Unix SQL Server world into the windows based SQL Anywhere world. If this is even possible. The model itself is not as important as the data because we use ERwin and I am able to forward engineer the model onto the SQL Anywhe...

Convert Existing User DB to Net .net MemberShip DB
Hey, Im looking to take my current Users DB and put those records into the new .net membership DB. I looked at the Membership Create User SP but im not sure if that sp is the only procedure that gets called when creating a user. I was wondering if any one else has had to do this and how should i go about it. I have about 100 users that i need to copy over. Thanks. This article has a bunch of links to Membership and security information in ASP.NET: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/02/24/438953.aspx For migrating 100 users over, you might just find it easiest to create a ...

BCP Sybase SQL Server db to SQL Anywhere db?
Anyone, I am searching for an automated way to take an entire Sybase SQL Server db on a Unix server and get it into a Sybase SQL Anywhere db on my laptop. I dont feel like going table by table through the Pipeline not to mention that I have RI proplems with this approach as well. Ideally, I would like to have explained to me a way to perform a BCP from the Unix SQL Server world into the windows based SQL Anywhere world. If this is even possible. The model itself is not as important as the data because we use ERwin and I am able to forward engineer the model onto the SQL Anywhe...

Using the AS in a SQL query accessing an Access DB
Hello, I'm using a Asp.Net GridView for the first time and am VERY pleased with how easy it is to set up. However, I'm running into a couple of simple problems. First, my query looks like this: sql.Append("SELECT DISTINCT a As 'something somthing' ...") My problem is that when I view the grid, the single quotes actually show up. When I eliminate them, no results are found (because of the spaces). How do I get around this? Also, I selected the features Edit and Delete in the GridView (using VWD Express). How do I go about actually implementing those? I am g...

Web resources about - Access DB instead of SQL DB? - asp.net.security

Tablo gives your Apple TV a DVR for live video
By itself, the new Apple TV's full-fledged app support only partly fulfills cord-cutting dreams. You can subscribe to loads of streaming services, ...

Samuel L. Jackson would have gladly played a stormtrooper in 'Star Wars'
On Tuesday's Late Night With Seth Meyers , guest Samuel L. Jackson reflected on his Star Wars experience, saying that he would have been happy ...

Boom: North Korea claims to have detonated a hydrogen bomb
North Korea has been threatening this for a while and now, at 10 am local time, they claim to have detonated a hydrogen bomb. The only real indication ...

CMO Today: Twitter Weighs 10000-Character Tweets
Wall Street Journal CMO Today: Twitter Weighs 10000-Character Tweets Wall Street Journal TWIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTER: Plenty has changed at Twitter ...

Growing Power raises 100,000 fish and 1 million pounds of food year-round on just 3 acres
Gardeners and farmers who live in colder climates are well aware of the limitations posed by a short growing season. But these challenges often ...

Steven Avery My Brothers May Have Killed Teresa Halbach
TMZ.com Steven Avery My Brothers May Have Killed Teresa Halbach TMZ.com 0105_steven_avery_AP Steven Avery claims his own two brothers may ...

Saudi Arabia's Fragile State
WASHINGTON "Fragile" is the word that journalist Karen Elliott House used to describe Saudi Arabia in her 2012 book about the country. "Observing ...

Oregon Militia Gunman Hides Under Tarp on MSNBC
It’s unclear to what extent anti-government gunmen, currently occupying a federal building in Oregon are willing to go to make their very dumb ...

iPhone 6s demand called into question as Apple reportedly orders cut back in production
Citing sources familiar with Apple's supply chain, Nikkei is reporting that the company is scaling back iPhone 6s and 6s Plus production by as ...

Ronda Rousey Will Need More Than A Win Over Holly Holm To Restore Her Legitimacy
Ronda Rousey, by her own admission in an interview reported by ABC News , is still reeling from her loss at UFC 193 to Women’s Bantamweight Champion ...