A beginner in ASP.Net need help

Hi,

I am new in ASP.Net. I now doing a sys using VB.Net n SQL Server 2000.
I keep getting the same error for my login page, can somebody help me point out where is the problem? I really need help urgently.

Below are the error message I get:

Server Error in '/e-library' Application.

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized configuration section 'forms'

Source Error:

Line 38:     -->
Line 39:     <authentication mode="Forms" />
Line 40:   <forms name="formsLogin" loginUrl="Login.aspx" protection="all" timeout="60"/>
Line 41:   </forms>
Line 42:  </anthentication>

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\e-library\web.config    Line: 40

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

My coding (Web.Config file):
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>

  <system.web>

<compilation defaultLanguage="vb" debug="true" />

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" />

<authentication mode="Forms" />
 <forms name="formsLogin" loginUrl="Login.aspx" protection="all" timeout="60"/>
  </forms>
</anthentication>

<authorization>
        -->
        <deny users="?">
          -->
</authorization>

<trace enabled="false" requestLimit="10" pageOutput="false" traceMode="SortByTime" localOnly="true" />

<sessionState
            mode="InProc"
            stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424"
            sqlConnectionString="data source=127.0.0.1;Trusted_Connection=yes"
            cookieless="false"
            timeout="20"
/>

<globalization requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8" />

</system.web>

</configuration>

My coding ( Login.aspx.vb file ):

Imports System.Web.Security
Imports System
Imports System.Data
Imports System.Data.SqlClient
Imports System.Text

Public Class WebForm1
    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

End Sub

Private Sub cmdLogin_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdLogin.Click
Dim con As SqlConnection
        Dim sql As String
        Dim cmd As SqlCommand
        Dim id As String

        con = New SqlConnection( _
             "data source=(local)\NetSdk; initial catalog=E-Library Records; user id=sa")
        sql = "SELECT User_id FROM [User] WHERE User='{0}' and Password='{1}'"
        sql = String.Format(sql, txtUser.Text, txtPassword.Text)
        cmd = New SqlCommand(sql, con)
        con.Open()

        Try
            id = CType(cmd.ExecuteScalar(), String)

        Catch ex As Exception

        Finally
            con.Close()
        End Try

        If Not id Is Nothing Then
            Response.Redirect("mainMenu.aspx")
        Else
            Response.Write
            ("Invalid User ID or Password:Please try again")
        End If
    End Sub

Thanks for any help.

Ai Ling

0
hoailing22

Currently, you have the following:

<authentication mode="Forms" />
 <forms name="formsLogin" loginUrl="Login.aspx" protection="all" timeout="60"
/

  </forms>
</a
thentication>

I've shown in red the problems with your code. You will need to change your code to the following:

<authentication mode="Forms">
 <forms name="formsLogin" loginUrl="Login.aspx" protection="all" timeout="60"

  </forms>
</au
thentication>

If you want to understand why your code is wrong, use Google to search for "well formed XML".

Alister
0
SomeNewKid
5/10/2005 10:06:11 AM

<authentication mode="Forms" />
 <forms name="formsLogin" loginUrl="Login.aspx" protection="all" timeout="60"/>
  </forms>
</anthentication>

1.u r closing the Authentication tag at the declaration time itself

2.U r closing the forms tag at the declaration and again writing the </forms>

3. Spelling mistake of authentication. not </anthentication>

All the best

BhanuP

0
BhanuPrakash

Secured Net Sharing .. Help Needed
There is one Dell Server with 2 NICs. One Nortel Secured Router and Nortel Switches. All I need is 1.) Server Operating System Shud be SuSE 2.) Squid to be configured on that dell server All clients can access net only via proxy no porn sites no adult contents and I even want to add some more websites that are to be restricted. how do i proceed? I wud be really grateful if anyone has enough patience to provide detailed information about various configurations needed... -- tanmaya ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Some ro...

Help needed securing my .NET web application
Hi there!I have a web application that has 3 components:     The VB.NET code to handle the web Requests and calls,    A .NET DLL that handles some vital processing which calls    A VB6 DLL that does some other vital processingI am trying to secure my application so that all the components check to make sure that the calling code has  permission to execute it.I'd like to use CAS Demands to check the stack to make sure all of the code components responsible for the call have permission to do so. My problem is that the VB6 DLL doesn't use the .N...

Need help working around .NET security
I have problems with .NET security blocking the network programs I create.  If I use caspol to give full trust to the internet zone, then everything works fine.  I know I can use the Strong Name utility to create a strong name and add it to all my assemblies, but I would like an easier way.  Is it possible to disable .net security within my program and then re-enable it before closing the program?  I'm the network admin and I run apps that fix problems, or change account passwords, etc.  I have been told that some people will create an application in a non-.net p...

Net:Net:Net::LDAP::FAQ

Beginner needs help publishing .NET site to web host (you know you want to!)
Hi, I have no idea what I am missing here- but I cannot make my application work on my web host's serverI have visual studio 2005 - I have created a basic application that works perfectly when i select the 'View in Browser' option. Simple stuff... just a hello world sort of thing.I have a hosting account with a web host who provide .NET support. Am I sure that .NET is installed? If i type in an ASPX file name that doesn't exit, I get a "Server Error in '/' Application" - The Resource cannot be found. I also displays Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; AS...

Installing ODP.net Docs into .Net Framework Help
Does anyone know how to go about installing the ODP.Net Help files into the .Net Framework help system? I know it just works with Visual studio. It seems i may need to generate a HxI file for the system. I have no idea how to go about this....

net send in .net

new to .net need help
I am new to .net and am starting to learn it on my own. I have used the VS ..net IDE for generating an extensive MFC code for my Masters Thesis. I am familiar with ASP and VB very much. I have decided to climb the next step by learning .net. I went to http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsintro7/html/vblrfwalkthroughcreatingrichclientapplicationwithmfc.asp to see some tutorials and this talks about SQL server and the pubs database. Which tells me I need to configure a lot of things before I can start the tutorials can someone point me to the ...

Need help with .Net Remoting
Hi I need some help. I am trying to get a .Net remoting app to work. Heres the story <Server -------------------------------------------------------------------------> 1. I have created an empty web project in ISS named RemoteObjects. 2. Then created a Remotable class called Remote1. 3. Then added a web config file and registered the object on the server. 4. Then built the solution and and the .Dll is located in the /Bin dir in IIS. <----------------------------------------------------------------------------------> <Client -----------------------...

Need help from .NET folks
Dear All, I have been working on the legacy applications from past 5 years and now there is a challenge for me to learn .NET I am not that new to Microsoft technology as I have completed my computer engineering from one of the very good university - Mumbai/India. But since I am totally out of touch on this new technology, rather a new born baby, I would like to know what is the best way to start learning .NET from beginning? I will appreciate if someone can help me guiding through this challenge. Thanks in Advance, new 2 .NET   http://www.asp.net/learn/ And ASP.NET 2...

I NEED HELP...about vb.net!!!!
  Server Error in '/ShoppingCart' Application. IErrorInfo.GetDescription failed with E_FAIL(0x80004005). Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: IErrorInfo.GetDescription failed with E_FAIL(0x80004005).Source Error: Line 119: Dim dr As OleDbDataReader Line 120: cnn1.Open() Line 121: cmd1.ExecuteNonQuery() Line 122: dr = cmd1.ExecuteRe...

Net Farmers net

Web resources about - A beginner in ASP.Net need help - asp.net.security

Wikipedia:Referencing for beginners - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
References (refs) on Wikipedia are important to validate writing and inform the reader. Any editor can potentially remove unsupported material, ...

The Expert Beginner (@ExpertBeginner1) on Twitter

Automagic Piano Beginner 1 for iPad on the iTunes App Store
Read reviews, get customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Automagic Piano Beginner 1 on the App Store. Download Automagic Piano ...

Mt Airy Beginner Yoga Class - a set on Flickr
... Photos The Commons Getty Collection Galleries World Map App Garden Camera Finder The Weekly Flickr FlickrBlog Upload Sign In Mt Airy Beginner ...

YouTube - The beginning of the universe, for beginners - Tom Whyntie
Veröffentlicht am 09.04.2013 View full lesson: http://ed.ted.com/lessons/the-beginning-of-the-universe-for-beginners-tom-why... How did the ...

Second Test: Beginners' luck or Burns and Khawaja's time?
If Burns and Khawaja can bat positively with intent in the second Test like they did at the Gabba, we will see them in the side for years to ...

A Rugby World Cup beginners' guide: when to wake up and who to look out for
A guide on when to get up, who to look out for and what makes Sunday morning's showdown so special.

COP21: Beginner's guide to the UN Paris climate summit
A background guide to the UN's major conference on climate change taking place in Paris until December 11.

A Beginner’s Guide To Star Wars
In case you haven’t heard, tomorrow is the release date of a little movie called Star Wars: Forced Awakening. Are you interested in seeing it, ...

Ben Kingsley & Josh Hutcherson Book ‘Backstabbing For Beginners’ – AFM
From Danish helmer Per Fly, Backstabbing For Beginners is a political thriller inspired by international relations veteran Michael Soussan’s ...