To Rainbow or not to Rainbow

Hi folks. I just started looking into .Net and Rainbow portal. I liked the over all structure and available modules. What I need to decide if to use Rainbow for one of our InterAnet implementation or not. Here are things that I think we need to modify and it would be nice if someone can tell me from their experience if it is worth it.

- We need Announcement/Discussion module but we want to keep it to TOP n and provide a more link. Also provide a scroll bar instead of ever expanding Div/SPAN whatever it is using.
- Event/Chat/Discussion will be updated frequently, and we want to refresh that part of the page on a pre-determined timeout. If there is a way to find out what "part" of the page triggered the refresh and get rest from the cache, we may drop this option. We are hoping to either expose a module level property such as timeout and a module level property such as more (with a pop-up for detail).
- We will need to drive the authentication from AD and I don't think we will be able to modify the AD Schema according to our needs since we have a big organization. Is it possible to find a middle ground? A heck could be creating accounts through DB scripts and grabing the SERVER VARIABLE to get logged in user's id and match with database entry.
- We will also need a report module i.e. some database query returning a recordset and display on the main page.
- Real-estate and performance is the key on our homepage that we are going to build using Rainbow.
Now it is a valid question why are we selecting Rainbow? The answer is simple. It gives us a base and sample code and decrease our development time. From your experience, it is worth it to make major changes in the out-of-the box modules?
0
ashark
11/24/2003 7:40:23 PM
asp.net.rainbow-portal 623 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Rainbow offers out of the box many advantages and a lot of modules.
Consider the changes you have to do for implementing your solution.
-The AD schema is pretty extensible: what you need to change?
- There are a lot of third party modules. For discussion have a look at: http://www.yetanotherforum.net/ , it may be it solves your needs out of the box
One more thing: if you do some cool enhancment to rb structure (or new module) and you decide to give it to rb community we ensure later version will be up to date.
Giving it away can be more profitable than not give it... just think about it.
Sincerely
Manu

Emmanuele De Andreis
DUEMETRI - RAINBOW PORTAL
http://www.rainbowportal.net
http://sourceforge.net/projects/rainbowportal/
http://forums.rainbowportal.net
http://support.rainbowportal.net
0
manudea

Rainbow Portal .NET Workspace
Now with the release of the new GotDotNet Workspace utilities, you can now check the GotDotNet Rainbow Portal .NET Workspace for the latest news, releases, updates, request new features, and submit bug reports. The Rainbow Portal .NET GotDotNet Community Workspace is located at: http://www.gotdotnet.com/Community/Workspaces/workspace.aspx?id=461d0b65-eba7-468c-9478-7918259ab612 Membership is open to all who is interested in making their own mark in the Rainbow development process. Scoob Is this workspace sanctioned by the Deumetri people? Why is it needed? What is wrong with...

Migrating Data from existing (possibly corrupt) Rainbow Installation to clean Rainbow Installation
Our graduate school is currently using Rainbow as a platform for our intranet (fortunately we have not launched yet). We have reason to believe that the installation of Rainbow we are currently using is corrupt or somehow malformed, due to multiple errors we have experienced that cannot seem to be replicated on other ASP.NET forums users. (The latest involved the development of a custom module that implmented the PowerGrid) Because of this possibility, I am thinking it would be best to start from scratch and create another Rainbow installation on a separate server. However, because we ...

SSL in a Rainbow Portal
Can anyone please say anything regarding SSL on a rainbow portal? Using SSL for the entire site is not an option. The webconfig implies you just need to apply SSL to the "secure" virtual directory, but there is never any indication to the user (or me, the developer) that anything is every really being encrypted by SSL. I've searched everywhere for this. The lack of documentation is pathetic. If it doesn't support this, then what's the section in the web.config entitled <!-- secure server, SSL enabled --> for?...

how customizable is Rainbow Portal?
Hi - I was wondering if you could tel me if I can use CSS layouts instead of table layouts for Rainbow Portal? is the code seperated from the design? does it have to be a 3-pane layout? Yes, there are design layout guides available at: http://www.rainbowportal.net/Rainbow/portal/alias__Rainbow/lang__en-US/tabID__3405/DesktopDefault.aspx. You can create custom combinations of css, 2 pane and three-pane master pages with several different tab/menu options(vertical/horizontal) as well....

Rainbow Portal unstable
Upon changing from one of the built-in themes to another built-in theme in RB 2006, I now get the below error after saving <grin> and now my portal is unusable. Sorry - a critical error has occurred - unable to continueRyan OlshanASPInsider | Microsoft MVP, ASP.NEThttp://ryanolshan.comHow to ask a question Since I hadn't done anything with the portal, I ended up re-installing Rainbow.Ryan OlshanASPInsider | Microsoft MVP, ASP.NEThttp://ryanolshan.comHow to ask a question...

TimeTracker for Rainbow Portal
Based on open source project TimeTracker and TimeTrackerForDNN1.0(which was developed by snowcover Ltd.). This Standard module for Rainbow Portal have some feartures especially in easy use. You can get a general way of developing "private assemble modules for Rainbow Portal" through this simple demostration. It's a total free and open source, and I would like to send you a copy of my project if you can mail to zhouongfei@sohu.com. TimeTracker for Rainbow Portal zhouongfei@sohu.com from BeiJing,China,BH University BH University ,from BeiJing,China...

List of Rainbow Portals
Hi all - I've been asked to do a comparison of Rainbow and DotNetNuke. Is there a list (or even partial list) somewhere, or a count of portals? Thanks! Phil Have you gone to the Rainbow Website?...

Rainbow Portal on Mono
Has anybody managed to get Rainbow running on Mono (on linux?)? any clues on how to link the libraries and then compile the entire project on linux (on the commandline? *gasp*)? :P am exploring into alternative means to run my existing project on other platforms... :D thanks for any pointers! :D...

Documentation for Rainbow Portal
Hi, does anyone has the installation guide for Rainbow Portal? I went to the website but the link to download seems to be broken or lost. Appreciate anyone can send me the installation guide and other documents. My email address is wxchoy@yahoo.com Thank you very much to the kind souls. Gavin...

Rainbow Portal Update
V 1.2.8.1718 released. --------------------------- Hi All, The latest release of Rainbow has been added to sourceforge: Download Rainbow 1.2.8.1718 The Rainbow project is an open source initiative to build a comprehensive content management system using Microsoft's ASP.NET and C# technology. A VB version is also available. Rainbow, available today in 14 languages, allows content authoring to be safely delegated to role-based team members who need little or no knowlege of HTML. Rainbow optionally supports a two-step approval-publish process. Forty five (45) plug-in module...

rainbow portal website suggestion
I suggest allowing registered users to "test drive" the portal application, which includes limited access to administration configuration (without access to change settings) and usage of every module, similar to how www.dotnetnuke.com shows the modules in action, but only with full admin access (except write) to show users the power of the rainbow app. Honestly, is there something to hide? Hi Scoob.....been a while since I have seen you post on a rainbow forum....have you stopped using it now? In regards to your suggestion of demoing the modules, I'll pass it onto graz. Che...

building a new portal in rainbow
hi all how can we create a new portal in rainbow? we can create it in Portals Module , but we cannot set the active portal to the new one any suggestion? thanks ...

MS Access + RainBow Portal
Hey guys! Does Rainbow suport MS Access? Take Care, MudassirMudassir AzeemiSan Francisco, CAWeb: http://www.BonGeek.comBlog: http://blog.BonGeek.com Hi, Sorry at the moment Rainbow only supports MSDE and MS SQL Server. Regards, JohnJohn Mandia http://weblogs.asp.net/jmandiahttp://www.silverlightseo.net/http://twitter.com/jmandia That sounds lil differnet from DotNetNuke :SMudassir AzeemiSan Francisco, CAWeb: http://www.BonGeek.comBlog: http://blog.BonGeek.com Yep. DNN uses the provider pattern very well and supports Access and MsSql out of the box (There are al...

DotNetNuke vs Rainbow Portal
I am fairly new to the .NET platform and want to use a portal system for our Internet and Intranet web sites. I am registered at both DotNetNuke and Rainbow Portal. The differences I can see is that the Rainbow Portal is written purely in C# and has many more modules but seems a little less organized than DotNetNuke. I would welcome comments on both sides to get better informed as to what the strengths and weaknesses of both are. Mike Mike -- there is already a raging discussion on this very topic. See: http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=274838Cha...

New Rainbow Portal Community
The rainbow portal project is on the move and has created a new community.  The address is :http://community.rainbowportal.net . All support questions should be directed to this forum for immediate consideration.Thanks,Eric RamseurRainbow Portal 2.0 AdminDownload Rainbow 2.0!!Rainbow Code Rainbow Portal CommunityC# 2005 Group Eric, it's nice to see you here. I noticed rainbow portal is using ASP.NET 1.x. Do you have time frame upgrade it to ASP.NET 2.0? Thanks Sue's edream - www.edream.org Hello Sue,Our first release is targeted for 4-20-2006.  We are currently in Alpha 3...

Rainbow Portal AspNetForums server down
Hi, The rainbow portal aspnetforums at the following address has been down for a couple of days now. Does anyone know when it is going to return to active duty? http://www.rainbowportal.net/AspNetForums/Default.aspx Regards, Bryan Stanton Bryan, I know your frustration, that's why i started a yahoogroup (better uptime!) Rahul Rainbow Support Group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rainbowportalRahul SinghCEO, AnantBlog Why not use the rainbow forum hosted on www.asp.net - It's more active and more reliable... http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowForum.aspx?tabindex=1&a...

.netNuke VS Rainbow Portal
I came across the core rainbow portal site - and I was very impressed at the output - I have only recently gotten involved with DNN - and would like to know which is better. Rainbow or DNN? Does anyone have a point of view This has been discussed many times.  We here at the dnn forums are completely biased.  But in a nut shell look at a.  the post/thread count of the two forums.b.  the number of 3rd party module availablec.  the long term direction (support for vs 2005 and asp.net 2.0...)d.  the speed at which the product is developingmatchbx Well I gues...

Rainbow Portal vs. DNN
Hi, I'm a die heart C# person and I would've loved to see DNN written in C#. It looks like DNN has a lot of momentum behind it. DNN guys are doing a great job constantly improving the product. Is there any momentum on the Rainbow camp? May be there is, I just haven't noticed it. I'd love to get some feedback from the Rainbow camp as to where Rainbow is going, how you guys perceive DNN and its momentum. Do you guys have a different vision/mission? Is there a Rainbow v2.0 in the horizon?Thanks,Sam Having played with both portals I too still cannot decide which to implement. DNN 2 just ...

New rainbow portal address
Sorry left it out of last post http://www.rainbowportal.net/site/3326/download.aspx ...

Some question abt Rainbow portal
Hi, (1) How can i call ASPX page in my portal module.Which module support the ASPX page? (2) I create one custom module. Now i use this module in one of my Tab. I click on module edit collection property. There i can see some defult title Theme and layout,Culture and Buttons and Display settings. Now i want to add one Specific module setting in this window. I see Iframe use some specific module setting how this type of setting implement in my module? (3) I write HTML code in HTML document module. Now this code store in which database table? All of your quesitons are answe...

Why Rainbow Portal? Why not DotNetNuke or IBuySpyPortal?
Hello. We would like to create a fully featured community portal for our county. In addition to advanced content management and administrative controls, we would like forums, an event calendar, a photo gallery, a file depository (downloads) scheduling tool, polls, classified ads, news feeds, a mailing list manager and more. In your opinion, between DotNetNuke, IBuySpyPortal and Rainbow Portal, which: a) is more stable b) is more mature c) has the best feature set d) has the most and best available modules We would like to choose the best product at the start ...

How to check out rainbow form sourceforge.net?
Hi, Rainbow developers and users, I failed to check out rainbow source codes from sourceforge.net using TortoiseCVS. I created a checkout module and set parameters as: CVSROOT::pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/rainbowportal Portocol: Password server(:pserver:) Server: cvs.sourceforge.net port: Reporsitory folder: /cvsroot/rainbowportal User name: anonymouse Module: rainbow when I click "Fetch list...." button, I receieved follow error message: cvs check out: Empty password used ... I don't know where to enter password and there is no p...

rainbow portal in winxp pro error
hi i'm beginner .just install the portal under win2000+vs.net 2002, it works fine but when i try install on another pc with winxp pro+vs.net2003, some page seems doesn't work. etc: i can't modify the tab or add some modules in it. anybody can give me a solution? hi, i'm also just start with Rainbow Portal, i got same problem either. it works ok when i setup Rainbow Portal in a machine in following condition: *Windows2000 Server *SQL Server2000 Standard *ASP.NET 1.1 *No VS.Net installed *Rainbow V1.2.8.1733 but I usually got problem in the following co...

Rainbow Portal RC2 on 2003 server
Okie, I finally got Rainbow to open up successfully on 2003 Server. There are some issues that I think the developers should be aware of and I would love to hear what to do to fix them. 1. ASPNET account does not have rights to the filesystem (error) Notes: On Windows 2003 server that is a domain controller, the worker process actually runs under NT AUTHORITY/NETWORK SERVICE. This account gets "List folder contents" permission by default and this appears to be fine for most ASP.NET sites. However, in the application_start() routine, the startup tries to create a directory...

Web resources about - To Rainbow or not to Rainbow - asp.net.rainbow-portal

George (Rainbow) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
George is an effeminate anthropomorphic pink hippo and a character of the popular children's television programme Rainbow in the 1980s, voiced ...

Brighten Your Wardrobe With a Rainbow of Colorful Jeans for Spring
... yet? It’s never been easier to insert a little color into your jean’s wardrobe! To prove it I did some digging and found a whole rainbow of ...

Noah's Ark: After the storm, why did God use a rainbow as a sign?
The story of Noah's Ark is one of the best-known in the Old Testament.

Taste the rainbow with custom Snapchat colors
Now get more custom Snapchat colors to doodle with.

‘Puppies And Rainbows’: Even Obama’s Top Economic Adviser Is Bashing Sanders’s Health Plan
‘Puppies And Rainbows’: Even Obama’s Top Economic Adviser Is Bashing Sanders’s Health Plan

Hahaha, What The Hell Kind Of Ingenious Rainbow Goal Is This?
This goal, scored by Ranger’s striker Kenny Miller, is crazy. The ball’s trajectory is less a dipping curler and more a meteor falling out of ...

Rainbow Six Siege patch brings custom matches, spectator cam
The latest Rainbow Six Siege patch introduces custom matches for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Update 2.1 had already been deployed across PC ...

Open Post: Hosted By Her Unicorn Rainbow Highness On Her Chariot
Everyone knows that walking is hard and when you're Mariah Carey, walking is really hard. You try walking when a 6-sizes too small gown and 10 ...

Academy Award Nominated NIMBY, The Return of the Rainbow Bagel, and More Intel
... regularly hosts boisterous parties with loud DJ's, brings out the NIMBY in him. — There is a Juice Press coming to Park Slope. — The rainbow ...